Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Problem description: My computer turned itself off, it will not boot. It powers on and there's a big strip of orange LEDs on the motherboard. There is no video out and nothing happens. The video card fans would start up then power down.

Attempted fixes:
Unplugged and replugged in all cables, internal and external. - No change.
Disconnected video card and plugged monitor into onboard video. - No change.
Tried HDMI and DVI. - No change.
Removed all USB devices. - No change
Removed all hard disks. - No change
Removed all RAM but one stick. - No change.
Tried a different RAM. - No change.
Reset CMOS. - No change
Removed motherboard from case to see if it was shorting against the case. - No change.

Recent changes: None

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: i5-4690k, GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard, Crucial Ballistix RAM., Corsair Cx650 PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

All of this stuff is about 5 years old, but its more than adequate. I've had no issues, no slowness, no problems whatsoever. It just turned off at some point today and it wont go back on. I can't find anything helpful about the orange LEDs on the motherboard- I assume it means some kind of warning or fault.

I assume the problem is the motherboard? Is there any way to determine if its the PSU or CPU? I don't want to just throw parts at the thing.

If I replace the motherboard, am I going to have to reinstall Windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Where are the orange LEDs located? Could you take a picture, or mark up an image showing where they are?

A CPU failure is pretty rare so I'd suggest focusing on it being either the motherboard or PSU. If you have a spare desktop or a friend that is willing to help out with theirs, you could try borrowing the PSU and connecting your board to it to see if it boots up. However, it does sound more like a motherboard issue (the Power On Self Test (POST) is failing and shuts itself off).

If you do end up replacing the motherboard, you shouldn't have to reinstall Windows.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I highlighted over the LEDs here -

I ended up spending a bunch of money on building a new AMD system. (That was actually my first Intel system in the 20+ years I've been building PCs.) Finding a replacement original motherboard was either $200+ or I'd have to get it shipped from China in March.

Even though it was 5 years old, it was still more than adequate for my needs. I'll try to sell the CPU and RAM.

The PSU is fine, I'm using it on the new system. Windows 10 booted up just fine, but I had to remove some mystery items from the Startup folder because something was causing it to bluescreen. Otherwise I'm not genuine, but I'll buy a code if I want to customize my desktop background or whatever.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 4, 2020