Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
pony: ethan (shot in the dark)

poison: sarah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i think my biggest surprise is that rob is... still good at this? the part where he heard danni threw out his name and confronted her and somehow that conversation ended with 'let's work together'. and then he wasn't on the radar anymore. him and parvati are an interesting combo so maybe seeing him again won't be as bad as i thought.

was afraid for adam and denise. it sucks super hard that such a little thing like looking for the water well can become a reason to vote you out. glad they avoided that. and denise finally got to win a tribal immunity! i wish we had gotten a confessional from her about that, because i have to imagine no one was happier than she was.

good on yul for his ability to keep up, though hopefully he doesn't trip from trying too hard.

good premiere though. i hope it can keep it up and maybe survivor can wash away some of the grime of last season.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

STAC Goat posted:

I wanna say I really like Ethan too and even though he didn't do anything game wise to stand out I will be very angry/sad when he's inevitably voted out for being way too nice and likable and sympathetic and a huge jury threat.

ethan is definitely one of those people who seems like he'll be super loyal but too nice to be cutthroat, so what you said will probably happen. he'll stick with an alliance that goes fairly deep then he'll go out 5th or something because he never pissed anyone off and people can't go up against that with a jury that will surely have some scores to settle.

but i put him as my pony in a blind hope that the oldest (season-wise) winner somehow defies all expectations and plays everyone. because saying 'i won season 3 and season 40' would be a hell of a thing given how severely things have evolved.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Looten Plunder posted:

There is no way she would keep up the ruse in her confessionals if that were the case.

yeah sandra loves to spread bullshit then go into the confessional and go 'yeah i made that poo poo up' so it would be pretty weird for it to be a cover to get rid of amber (because why do you need a reason to get rid of amber?) or some sort of collaboration with rob.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

SweetJahasus posted:

The one winner that I, unironically, wish was there is Fabio. He was the shining winner we all needed in a poo poo dump of a season and while he's obviously a production nightmare, he's more entertaining and more of a winner that the fan base wanted in their seasons over someone like Michele.

Fabio vs Naonka is an epic tale all of our children should know and love:
http://funny115.com/v3_2/55.htm

fabio would be so out of his element it would be incredible

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i've kinda liked ben so far. i dunno, he looks like he's just having fun. which is a nice bit of levity with how tense everything is given the cast. and tony, of course.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Murmur Twin posted:

He shoulda been Fabio :colbert:

well, i do agree with this. i can't even imagine how he would play this.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
production would have a loving aneurysm if fabio won this season

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
at least for edge of extinction they don't HAVE to waste 15-20 minutes of the episode on a challenge no one cares about.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
welp there goes my pony. rip.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

BGrifter posted:

Boston Rob taking total control and making this look like Redemption Island 2.0 might be the funniest and most entertaining possible outcome. Just an entire season of Rob clowning on all the other winners.

It would expose so many winners as frauds.

it would definitely kill the "rob isn't actually very good and only won RI because he was surrounded by goats" argument. i really don't understand how he's still here.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

The Lord Bude posted:

Somebody remind me again how he managed to win a season?

because they voted david out

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
adam's game feels basically the same as the first time. making a bunch of bad decisions but somehow surviving. i can't help but like him, though. his personal struggles in the first game endeared me to him i suppose.

Chic Trombone posted:

i went into awful survivor blind as a bat and with not even half a clue

one could argue that was still true in my second season, too, and honestly i barely remember the 3rd since i was teetering on the breakdown i had post-merge since before that one started

in reality i think i watched.... maybe one episode back in college? i only joined awful survivor because mafia friends were doing it and i wanted to have a good time with a built in excuse to get over my social anxiety and actually talk to folks (this anxiety has since gotten way better)

haha joining awful survivor to have a good time.

i empathize with the anxiety. i had a hard time the first time i played. second time was a lot more fun. helps to have one super close ally. it's unfortunate we didn't get to work together in the one we were in.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

e.martin posted:

All my favorites are out of the regular game. Tyson, Rob, Sandra, Parv. Rooting for someone to make it back into the game and win it all.

if you're not rooting for yul then there's no hope for you

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
in adam's defense, he's not wrong that he was being lied to by the two people who know where the idol is, he just incorrectly assumed which of them had it. and that one does have an advantage even if it isn't specifically an idol. i wouldn't be surprised if sarah acts in a way that seems a bit overconfident for those reasons whereas sophie has a better poker face.

also the ben/adam dynamic is hilarious. it's almost like ben is adam's little brother who just won't stop bugging him.

i think i'm actually getting the feeling that michelle might win this. man, what a way to stick it to the people who hated her win originally if that happened.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
that ethan poo poo is great. if he was the one to come back from EoE and win i would not be upset. but i also know that's impossible because the right move would be to just vote him out again immediately.

i don't really know who i want to win, though. if i had to go with my gut i'd say i like sophie, nick, and michelle right now.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

The Lord Bude posted:

Who is her father in Law's son? So this guy's Son and Daughter in law both played survivor and he likes a random stranger the most? what a dick.

That aside, I'd be a tad put off if I were Parvati and a dude basically walked up to me and effectively said 'oh hey FYI I used to jack off to pictures of you when I was a kid'

man like, i agree nick was awkward but you sure as hell took that to an extreme.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
have the whole cast there but no audience and just spread the cast out throughout the seats

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
oh i wasn't serious i just thought that was an amusing mental image

this is what we actually need

The Bloop posted:

It's just Jeff swinging on vines, riding motorcycles, and hanging off helicopters for 35 minutes

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
god i wish that had been an idol.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i'm really curious to see how Ethan ranks being on EoE vs Africa. EoE must be a vacation relatively. except for the logs maybe.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Spokes posted:

He’ll come back in at 6 with an idol which he can likely use at 5, right? then he just needs an immunity win and he’s at the fire. So write the check now, I suppose.

Oh, no, you know what they’re going to do? They’ll add an accelerant to the returning-from-EoE tokens menu or something and let him use it at the fire making challenge. They don’t want a Sarah-Nick-Sophie final

wouldn't be a terrible finale group imo, and i'm not even really a big sarah fan.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
at the very least they should make it so you can't walk back using an idol after you say something like 'i'm playing it'

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i don't think nick has done nothing, but he has definitely played an under the radar game and i can see that being an underwhelming winner in a season like this. he'd be a preferable winner to ben and almost anyone that comes back from extinction. i think he's at least on the same level as michelle and sarah.

my power rankings would probably be: tony, denise, jeremy, nick/sarah/michelle, ben.

i dunno how i'd feel with someone from extinction winning. except ethan. i would be perfectly fine with that.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

STAC Goat posted:

Side note, I contend that since they all quit the challenge to the point it was over they should have ran out of time for their cookies. That'll teach 'em.

i was thinking this as well. would have been hilarious if he took it away like 5 seconds after giving it to them. or like, not let nick have any because he ended the challenge by stepping out and jeff clearly stated they could eat as long as the challenge went.

i'm curious how much time they actually got.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i can only go by context of the comments, but i have seen them say nick: got flak for being 'creepy', voting out parv, being a republican, and him being frustrated with his edit. adam is apparently on twitter break because people are just lovely to him in general. and people may have been attacking sarah for political views? that one is the one i'm least sure about, but i remember a picture of her in a MAGA hat at one point so i'm sure that didn't do her many favors.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i see no way that natalie doesn't come back. 3 advantages is incredible and she's already a powerhouse.

that said i like natalie but her winning would be... ridiculous. i can't get behind that as a satisfying win. more satisfying than ben maybe.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i give nat a 50% winning at this entire thing. she has 3 advantages at the EoE challenge and she's very good at challenges already. she would have to severely drop the ball to lose. then she has an idol for when she makes it back in. if she makes it to the end she wins. i think tony is the only one who would give her competition.

i'd be very underwhelmed if she did. it doesn't matter how much i like the person. if you get voted out first, then spend 90% of the game somewhere where you can't be eliminated while bonding with the jury, it really just makes everything else we watched irrelevant.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

OFFICER LIGER posted:

please god not the outcasts again

THE IRONY

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
pretty sure they meant the outcasts specifically.

which is true because lil

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
it's hard for me to wrap my head around anyone wanting a natalie win. nothing against her, it would have made watching the whole season feel like a waste of time.

michele deserved more votes. ultimately glad it was tony, though.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

JOHN CENA posted:

>>We are bringing back Awful Survivor after a three year hiatus!<<

If you guys have ever wanted to see how you'd fare, this is a great opportunity, and also a real fun experience! Cash prizes, free food, new friendships, there's much to be had playing this game! We're accepting signups now, expecting to launch at the beginning of June.

yes very good

now is the best time to join this since we're all still probably stuck at home for a while still anyway

the question is, do i risk ruining my reputation even further

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Khanstant posted:

I simply do not understand how online survivor could work. Is it like, you roleplay in chat?

I sit on log. I talk about what I want to eat when I get home. I scoop myself the best rice off the top and give the lovely bottom burnt rice to Crebis.

The immunity challenges and voting I can see, plenty of online games to play as a challenge and voting is obvious. What's the middle part?

there's no roleplaying. it's impossible to replicate the actual 'survival' part. it's more about the social.

you say you can imagine challenges and voting. so how do you decide to vote someone out? how do you avoid getting voted out? social maneuvering. forming alliances, etc.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Philthy posted:

Tony didn't dominate anything. He ended up in a good alliance. That's it. He made one single move to vote someone out, and it wasn't even a good one. He simply did it because he fell into the usual "I heard my name come up from you, so now I must be bull-headed and vote you out." which almost lost his trust with Sarah. He wasn't voted against because he wasn't a threat to anyone. He was the jester, not the player. He made a single good call about Natalie possibly having an idol and it was the only time anything he brought up made any sense and was right about. He was blown off because, again, no one took him seriously of felt he was a legitimate player. 90% of Tony was his alliance.

That mental pressure is a distraction. It makes time go by faster. EoE had none of that, it was pure misery. And those challenges were hardcore compared to anything the other side had. I would still believe fully the real test of Survivor was surviving EoE. It seemed to me way worse off, and Natalie was there from it's beginning to its end.

Being on the inside is as much competitive and cooperative than EoE was. No one knew she had so many tokens, or all the other stuff she did. I think she worked with Parv on these, but everyone else didn't seem to know about it. Since she got voted out first. First votes are token votes that are generally completely random. It was no fault of her own. I would argue Tony never got to even play the game fully because he never made it to EoE. I am wondering if we even saw the same show or not. EoE was a huge deal.

Also, Natalie did have a nearly perfect game when she returned. She had enough tokens for immunity and got to draw out two MORE immunity tokens. She then went on to win ANOTHER immunity. She not only found cracks, she knocked the entire drat wall down when she returned. Her only mistake is that she maybe should have said the jury all thought Ben was the winner instead of Tony. But everyone knew Tony was paranoid, so he was easier to exploit.

Rob upset she didn't make fire against Tony is ridiculous. She won the immunity so that she didn't have to.

this might be the most absurd take i've ever seen in a survivor thread and that's saying something

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
also they can't name seasons after locations anymore, so...

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
amazon was good for its time. it has aged very poorly. a decent example of an early strategic player with rob C, i suppose.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
assuming todd was lying is lovely, though if i were there i may have had a confessional where i at least went "could he be lying...?"

right when your loved one comes out does not seem like the best time to ask for potentially bad news.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

clown shoes posted:

Is she the most bizarre caricature this show has ever had?

not even close

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

IcePhoenix posted:

She was voted out at like six.

It was Tommy

holy poo poo i cannot remember who this is. i guess that makes sense considering i stopped watching that season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
can erik manage to go out at 5th place a third time? will there be virtual rice for j'tia to dump in the virtual fire? will johnny fairplay be as insufferable as always?

we can only find out.

except that last thing. because the answer is yes.