Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
If there are items you want to save, you could store them in someone else's island, and come pick them up again after your restart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Looking for suggesting goon hivemind for items that are "jungle-esque"

Thinking:

Giant vines
Pine tree (item)
Vines
Bamboo
Mossy garden rock
Palm trees
Titan Arum
Glowing moss
Ruined castle items
Azumaya Gazebo
bamboo grass seasonal item
bamboo partition
Cacao tree
Tall lantern in mossy variant
cave
Formant volcano
forbidden altar
glowing moss pond
glowing moss statue
leaf piles
Kadomatsu
lily pad table
bug models
mushroom furniture items in green
pond stones
wheat fields
wedding furniture in ‘garden’ colour
Stone furniture can be customised to ‘mossy’.
Mario items and spooky items to green to fill out any empty space

What other suggestions have you, goons?

Chewbecca fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 5, 2024

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Chewbecca posted:

Thinking:

Giant vines
Pine tree (item)
Vines
Bamboo
Mossy garden rock
Palm trees
Titan Arum
Glowing moss

What other suggestions have you, goons?

The Azumaya Gazebo is a good “jungle-y” item to have. There’s also the bamboo grass seasonal item, bamboo partition, cacao tree, cave, dormant volcano, forbidden altar, glowing moss pond and statue, leaf piles, kadomatsu which was on sale recently as a seasonal item, lily pad table, bug models, mushroom furniture items in green, pond stones, vine furniture, wheat fields, wedding furniture in ‘garden’ colour, and a lot of the stone furniture can be customised to ‘mossy’. You can also customise the Mario items and spooky items to green to fill out any empty space.

I guess when it comes to decorating outside and wanting the island to be jungle-esque it’s a good thing to remember that you can plant palm trees in the grass by laying down a single square sand path then planting the coconut in the square.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
God-drat Tarantulas :argh: I'd forgotten about those. Ran smack-bang into one while tooling around doing some late tidying. Sometime later I spot the second one, figure I'd go catch it and... hosed it up horribly.

Still, the Museum *and* Nook's Cranny open tomorrow. I look forward to spending goodness only knows how long handing dozens of critters in, one at a time :v:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

magimix posted:

God-drat Tarantulas :argh: I'd forgotten about those. Ran smack-bang into one while tooling around doing some late tidying. Sometime later I spot the second one, figure I'd go catch it and... hosed it up horribly.

Still, the Museum *and* Nook's Cranny open tomorrow. I look forward to spending goodness only knows how long handing dozens of critters in, one at a time :v:

This was the first post when I opened the thread from my bookmarks. Forgot where I was until you mentioned Nooks. Right up until then, I was like "what the gently caress is this person's life??"

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Chewbecca posted:

If you’re looking for exterior and interior stuff…

Stonework Kitchen mossy variant
Rock Head Statue
Moai Statue
Stone Lion Dog mossy variant
Glowing Moss Statue
Glowing Moss Pond
Mush Log
Tiki Torch
Creepy Skeleton mossy variant
Palm tree lamp
Japanese Dresser
Imperial furniture
Rattan furniture
Patchwork furniture in green
Moroccan furniture
Hammocks
Pansy table
Orange End Table
Lily Pad Table
Vine furniture

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

There are so many mossy things, I'm v excited

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Don't forget the termite mound for outdoors as well

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I forgot how hard making a perfect snowboy is and then he's passive aggressive dick to you when you gently caress it up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I forgot how hard making a perfect snowboy is and then he's passive aggressive dick to you when you gently caress it up.

Yeah, I haven't bothered with trying to make snowboys since sometime back in December. Now I just ignore the snowballs, or occasionally kick them into the river out of spite.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Figured I'd post a 'new island update' :v:

Still *loving* playing through the early game again. The Museum and Nook's Cranny are open. I've placed plots for the next three residents (Jeremiah is unpacking today; Cookie and then Dora are next up). Bought art from Redd for the first time, had Mabel visit the other day, Harv's island is open to me now... Paid off the first house upgrade today, and took out the loan for the first extra room.

Got some thoughts about what sorts of 'big thing' I might try this time round, to make sure I don't just try to recreate my old island. Specifically, there was a lovely thing I saw on many islands I visited, whereby each resident's house also had a yard that was decorated with items 'themed' for them.

I 'sort of but not really' tried to apply that to my old island, but it was a bust; the extra space needed for that was going to disrupt my island's layout in a way that I wasn't willing to commit to (since by that time, I was hundreds of hours in, and *liked* the overall shape of what I had). So a fresh island provides the ideal opportunity to have another go, *and* gives me a kind of on-going, long-term project/gimmick.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

magimix posted:

Specifically, there was a lovely thing I saw on many islands I visited, whereby each resident's house also had a yard that was decorated with items 'themed' for them.

This is my favourite thing to do on my islands :3: On my first island, the yards were quite small, so I couldn’t do as much as I wanted. I’ve rectified that now on my most recent island, and have an entire portion of the island dedicated to being like a residential area.

I’m at work rn so sadly don’t have any pictures to post, but if I remember, I definitely want to share some!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Imagine not decorating your villager yards in such a way it implies they run a small business....

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TurnipFritter posted:

Imagine not decorating your villager yards in such a way it implies they run a small business....

That reminds me that in my New Leaf game I was able to get all of the 7-11 Conbini pieces and made a room in my house that was a perfect Japanese convenience store. I really loved it and just before New Horizons came out I found my old cartridge, so I charged my 3DS and was excited to revisit my town after over 10 years and... my town had been erased. :(

edit: I was so hopeful

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh poo poo I just found my old 3DS and my AC cart was in it. No idea where the power adapter is, so I ordered a usb style one from Amazon and it’ll get here a day before New Horizons!

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 11, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Today is festivale and I was playing at lunch cos wfh

Man it sucks catching blue feathers, was that always the case or am I just unlucky

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

There's always one colour that's a lot rarer on each island. Your villagers will trade with you.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Black Robe posted:

There's always one colour that's a lot rarer on each island. Your villagers will trade with you.

My villagers tried to trade me out of my blue ones for my green ones, even though I had stuff all blue ones. I finished the event now though, so all good

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

From what I remember it depends on what colour they're wearing, that shows either what they'll offer or what they'll ask for.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Talking to my husband about maybe restarting my island and he reminded me I'd better not do it too close to Bunny Day! I'd forgotten all about that resource hogging holiday. :gonk:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I restarted tonight. This is my 2nd restart.

I wanted to get the same layout I had for my first island, but didn’t think it would happen. I reset twice to get different layouts, and my original layout was there. The airport lines up with resident services, and it’s blue!

I am happy.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

The freaks who decide they're going to just waltz right through my front door while I'm busy?
They get garbage bags around their house until they decide to move out.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I made my island a resort town, so naturally all of the locals live clustered on a tiny hill in the corner of the island

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

B33rChiller posted:

The freaks who decide they're going to just waltz right through my front door while I'm busy?
They get garbage bags around their house until they decide to move out.

I detest this mechanic. I know you can hide in a different room until they go away but all the villagers have phones. Would make more sense for them to call and ask if they can come over lol

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Door Frame posted:

I made my island a resort town, so naturally all of the locals live clustered on a tiny hill in the corner of the island

Oh hi, are you me? My island is also a resort. I have half of my villagers in the main area with their houses done up like resort facilities. The other half live up on the hill.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
All this restarting chat makes me want to start a new island, but keep my current one in a more substantial way than just a DA.

I'd remodel my current island if I could think of a good theme, but that would require picking up and storing all the items I put out for cataloging/giving away. :negative:

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Y'all making me want to buy a second Switch so I can have another island without losing the one I've been running since April 2020

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

They really should have let you have multiple islands per Switches but I understand the vision of selling more Switch SKUs to families.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Y'all making me want to buy a second Switch so I can have another island without losing the one I've been running since April 2020

doooo iiittttt

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I started a new one last year and am just playing a little bit every now and then, I’m just now at the point that I have started putting down paths with the terraforming functions and stuff. It’s still fun and I did festivale for the first time and got the giant peacock organ robot.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah if I do go back to it, I think I'm just going to try and rework everything via terraforming instead of starting completely over. I think one of the things that I did a while ago that I found clever at the time just made my island feel a little more empty: I made a large land bridge on the east side of my island that holds all of my neighbors spanning all the way south to north.

Like so:

code:

[X]=
       =
       =[X]
       =
    [X]=
       =
       =[X]
       =
    [X]= 
It saved time visiting them all every day, and I put my house on a hill just to the west of the land bridge so that had steps down to visit Redd when he pulled his ship up. But I think spreading the villagers around would give me more of a challenge to make my island more interesting. Also I want to flatten the Chinese restaurant I have in the upper west that was the fits major thing I built almost 4 years ago.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 15, 2024

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The Door Frame posted:

My island is a full amusement park so same. They seem happy enough, I gave them a little gazebo area and a parking lot it's fine they're fine

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

This is what I did so I could make a new island and fill it with bears lol, grabbed a second hand Switch from eBay that was decently discounted since it didn’t have the box or dock.

I still need to finish Bear Island… I got distracted with Fartlandia 2.0

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Is there some way I can prompt my islanders to stand up so that I can actually give them this chocolate I bought them for Valentine's Day? Faith and Vivian are parked next to a campfire in front of Resident Services and just refuse to budge. I really hate that you can't give items to people who are sitting.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Reset goons, set yourself free :wom:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Is there some way I can prompt my islanders to stand up so that I can actually give them this chocolate I bought them for Valentine's Day? Faith and Vivian are parked next to a campfire in front of Resident Services and just refuse to budge. I really hate that you can't give items to people who are sitting.

You could probably whack them with a net?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

W.T. Fits posted:

Usually if you just keep talking to them they eventually stand up, but I don't think it works for the scripted Resident Services plaza vignettes.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I've found that aiming a camera at peeps tends to get them standing.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Morter posted:

I've found that aiming a camera at peeps tends to get them standing.

A post that would be slightly creepy in any other thread

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Walking into them for a few seconds like they’re blocking the path gets them to stand up! That’s when they’re on the floor though. If they’re sitting in a chair, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Resetting the game should reset the villagers' positions, if nothing else