Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

If the Island Getaway Package involved you creating your own unique island, there would be even more reason to fear Tom Nook

I was thinking about Amiibo Support for AC just now then realized that was dumb because I didn't own any Amiibo, then realized that it was I who is stupid because I do own 6 Amiibo and they are all Animal Crossing ones. I have the two construction llamas, Blathers, Isabelle, KK Slider, and the pinkish dog from Happy Home Designer. I wonder if any of them will have any neat effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stux posted:

no dlc because no matter how "good" it starts off as i cant imagine them showing any restraint if it gives them a decent return
What Nintendo games have that kind of predatory DLC model? If they haven't done it yet, why would they start with their friendliest series?

Mobile games have no purpose but to suck time and money so I'm only talking about console releases.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stux posted:

amiibos, smash, botw, fire emblem. you can say you dont count the mobile games because mobile but even for mobile titles theyre agressively bad compared to a lot of others. its a toss up though because on the other hand the free updates theyve done for mario odyssey and mario maker 2 have been really wonderful, the pokemon dlc while not great is at least a step up from just releasing the game a second time at full price i guess. i think as a platform holder who is selling hardware as well as getting paid on all software purchases and who really hate sales, the least they can do is just not with the dlc at all and have some restraint with it and realise maybe you should just be adding value to your platform as a whole rather than chasing dlc money. they do this well enough for some of their titles (seriously the mario maker 2 free dlc has been ridiculously good, better than a lot of their paid dlc) so hopefully AC is one of those as well.
I said what games have predatory DLC pricing/options, nothing in your list is that.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is it lootbox gambling energy bar timer skip bullshit or is it Actual Content?

DLC =/= lootbox gambling energy bar timer skip bullshit
This is what I mean. An Amiibo is a figure that also sometimes unlocks some bonus stuff but nobody is getting nickel and dimed off of or impulse buying Amiibo for their in-game uses. People that collect them do so for the figures themselves and rarely even take them out of the box to use them.

Smash's DLC includes a stupid amount of content for a fair price. Terry alone is worth the entire price of the Fighter's Pass. BotW and FE also offer season passes and offer a good amount of content for the price. There's no spending 5 bucks to get a chance at a sweet sword in BotW or buying individual unit packs for FE or any of that. None of that bad practice leaves the mobile world so why is anyone worried about it coming to mainline games?

Also some of the Mobile games are developed by outside teams, aren't they? I know Pocket Camp and FE Heroes have some garbage rates but Dragalia Lost is very fair and that's probably as much CyGames as it is Nintendo. Either way, again, mobile doesn't matter until there is evidence they have affected the console games in any way.

Of course it'd be nice if there's no DLC at all, I'm happy with free content drops, but if there is DLC I have faith it will be fair and worth the money for what it adds to the game.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stux posted:

i strongly disagree that smash, botw and fe passes are anywhere close to good value for the money, and feel that is especially true when its contrasted by the free updates in their own games, and given that theyre first party and that i think that platform holders like nintendo, sony and ms should really never be adding paid dlc into anything. they should be incentivised to support their games enough by the fact that driving interest and platform sales directly benefits them. also botw especially putting hero mode behind dlc really left a bad impression. heck the dlc in general in all of those cases would at least not feel as bad if i knew well hey i can probably pick up the base game very cheaply in a year or two, or hey ill probably get that from the monthly sub right, but when i know im probably going to have to pay full price even for older first party games, adding stuff on to try and make those £60 purchases £90 really sucks no matter who is doing it.

people do buy amiibos just for the in game stuff and sometimes that is off impulse. thats by design, otherwise there would be no reason to include it as there is already a market for just high quality figures.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree then because what we consider to be a good value is just too different. Not wanting first party games to have DLC is a nice thought but wildly and unreasonably optimistic given how modern gamers have come to expect an almost "games as a service" level of post-release content from almost every major new game and studios are all too happy to oblige in most cases.

I also would like to know what you're referring to with regards to free updates being as substantial as paid DLC. Odyssey did the Luigi Balloon Hunt thing which was fine but not nearly as impressive as any of the season pass stuff mentioned before. It's not like they've added new worlds or moons for free. Only the Mario Maker update seems anywhere close and even that just makes sense since that's one player base they do not want to fracture since that game lives and dies by the ability to make and play any level.

People are impulse buying Amiibo to get access to... what? Mario Kart 8 Mii costumes? Amiibo are a minor attempt at the toys to life thing with minor game interaction but I know of absolutely nothing substantial that they add to any game except maybe Hard Mode in Samus Returns which is admittedly bad but one exception does not change the rest.

EDIT: Maybe Kirby's updates could be considered paid DLC level but that to me seems less like generous content additions and more like fixing a game that was released too early.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

AC will probably have a season pass or a DLC pack just like almost every other major 1st party release has gotten recently. I imagine it'll just add more furniture, villagers, clothes ect, maybe new areas and features. No way anything like the fortune cookies or whatever from Pocket Camp make it in, that kind of stuff stays in the Mobile verse.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Nintendo should clarify whether it's just a prompt to buy a Nintendo Online account or it's for DLC soon, because with how they're handling Pocket Camp, people are gonna be making a ton of assumptions that poo poo like loot boxes or micro transactions are going to be added
This is true. After how Sword and Shield and Three Houses were directly influenced by Pokemon Masters and FEH, this is definitely a legitimate concern that people should have.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Willo567 posted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but look at some of the comments in this article about the issue. Some people are already jumping to conclusions

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/02/animal_crossing_new_horizons_might_contain_in-game_purchases
Yeah, that's why I chose sarcasm. It's a stupid fear that nobody should be worrying about until it's confirmed.

But because nobody can see the difference between a $60 home release and a mobile game, the sky must be falling.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

They've already said there won't be any direct connectivity between the mobile game and this.
This is the only reason people should need to not be worried about lovely microtransactions in AC and yet

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah, i vastly prefer its acre-based camera system to the rolling world thing subsequent versions have done, i like the villagers' personalities more, it's still the game with the largest town size and most villagers in your village at once. and also, the soundtrack is far and away the best in the series, which given the kind of game animal crossing is, that's a really important factor.

i fuckin love animal crossing. i hope new horizins is awesome.
Whoa, I knew New Leaf was smaller being on the 3DS but I didn't know the GCN version was the biggest. I never played City Folk so I just assumed it was bigger. Was City Folk just a souped up Wild World port or something?

Agreed on the latter tho, I can't loving wait to dig into New Horizons.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Idia posted:

Crapton sounds amazing. I wished I knew about it while playing New Leaf. I don't think in New Horizons you can have more than one island on the switch? So I guess there won't be a Crap island. :(
To be fair, if Crapton was always open, it's not like liquidypoo could've enjoyed their own island at the same time anyway, so it's functionally the same sacrifice.

I wonder if New Horizons will have the same "island has to be open in order to be visited" restriction? Nintendo being Nintendo I expect so, but maybe it'll be a toggle. Maybe.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this has to mean that godawful grass wear system is gone

thank gently caress
It better be. I lived in a wasteland because I refused to walk or stick to paths to accommodate that poo poo.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I hope they clarify the extent of the Pocket Camp cross promotion asap, that's the only part that I didn't absolutely love. What a wonderful direct.

I'm also one of those types who won't be doing any terraforming, too lazy and uncreative, but I am hype for chill island days.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Catalina posted:

Yup. And I don’t know how the other names are written so I can’t compare, but it’s written with the characters that denote foreign loan words and their sounds so it is definitely “Justin” like we would think of it.
Yeah it's absolutely Justin, there's no other way to read it that I can think of.

I'm gonna be playing AC in Japanese for practice and continued exposure since I'm back in the States now with no one to speak it with and while I am gonna miss out on the awesome localization I am interested in the different speech patterns and names. It is gonna be hard to talk about though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Depends on the size of the island I suppose.

They have to allow for a maximum of 8 player houses on the island, right? Will those cut into possible villager limits or did they allow enough space for 10 villagers, 8 players, and all of the facilities too? I imagine so based on the zoomed out minimap looking huge in the direct but who knows.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This one's Digital for me too. I'm gonna play it every day for the next few years, I ain't changing game carts every day.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I believe Animal Testing was scrapped alongside Mario 128

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't have any cards but as strange as it is I've never had a favorite villager. I like a lot of them though so I will just hope I get some good ones on my island.

Since there's no way for any of us to know the answer to this since it's the first time it's been possible to my knowledge, I'd like to think out loud and see what people think. I'm gonna be playing this game in Japanese... I wonder what that's gonna mean for how people see me and my island? Will they just be in Japanese or auto romanized? I assume the former since Pokemon and Mario Kart have no trouble displaying other languages but it's never too late for Nintendo to get weird with online.

EDIT: also I would like to be a raccoon goon but what happened to incorporating the angry eyes?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EDIT: I was already a goon! No need to beg. Thanks, Infinitum!! I am so proud.

10 days to go. The anticipation is killing me. I just want to chill on my island and see who's moving in.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I just started working at Disney at the end of last month and now it's closed so I get 10 days to play the poo poo out of this... For an hour or so a day anyway. And a birthday present means it's now preloaded on my system. 7 days!!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Accepted a whole bunch of friend requests just now. Looking forward to seeing all y'all's islands!

Also, IGN laid out a strategy for forcing a day change. Looks overcomplicated so I won't be doing it, but I can't say the temptation won't be there. IIRC, it took like a week to 10 days for everything in New Leaf to open up, right?

EDIT: a week IS 7 days

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 16, 2020

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Those first four days will kind of suck but the time changing method is a little convoluted and I want to play it honestly so I will just play another game once I finish for the day I suppose

Unless my one friend who is kind of a jackass time skips to get ahead of me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Games As A Service mentality has infected everything.

I personally don't care, especially for a game like AC that I'll play for at least two years, but it is a shame when you'd rather just have the whole game at once without the drip feed.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I feel like a list with names would be worse. At least with the pictures even if you don't know them by name you can judge them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That's honestly disappointing about the no "island" suffix thing. My island name pun works in Japanese but not in English. Not that it would be translated in either case.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The reset time is 5am EST, right?

I was gonna start in the morning but if I can skip the quiet first day then I'll probably play at midnight too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I really hope my airport isn't yellow, that's the one thing that could force me to reroll

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

What are y'alls deal breakers that will make you reset? Island design aside as that's unpredictable.

Villagers I'm fine with any.

Fruit I'm fine with any except Pears. I don't want pears.

Airport any color is fine except yellow.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Anyone got that tweet handy that shows tips to keep in mind when choosing your island?

Also I had no idea until today that there were multiple kinds of grass, I am an inattentive moron

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I am seeing conflicting reports about this, can you time travel in New Horizons like you can in previous Animal Crossings?
You can but it involves more steps like disabling the Switch's auto time sync and whatnot. It's not simply in the game like it was in New Leaf. Check the IGN review for details.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Wait, what is this? You can't name your island "[blank] island"? Or am I misunderstanding
You can name your island, for example, "ABC Island" because that's 10 characters.

In Japan, you can name it "ABC" and then the suffix "Island" will be added to it, and since Japanese is Japanese, you can also choose how that Island is read because it can be either shima, jima, or tou depending on the name.

People thought this might carry over to the English version with Island, Isle, or Island Of being attached to the name but that is not the case. The name of your island is just whatever you put in those 10 spaces.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I got nearly 2 hours in, paid my package off with my 5000 nook miles and arranged my first upgrade.

Also handed over enough bugs and fish to set up for Blathers to arrive tomorrow!

Time to sleep, AC is so good though.
Nice! That's a lot of progress for one day. I definitely want to at least do that second bit though. It's 5 you need to turn in, right?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

mikemil828 posted:

Welp, the name of my island is going to be Arcadia...I calls it like I sees it :colbert:
gently caress. I don't know why it took me until ten minutes before the game comes out to realize this, but this is literally the only option. Sorry for my lack of creativity friend, I have to steal this.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Something neat that I inadvertently tried today.

While time travelling days has its own issues and is complicated, there's absolutely no consequences for changing the time of day as long as your clock stays connected to the internet!

I forgot I had my Switch still set to Japan time so I enjoyed a few hours of sunny midday island life. Then just now I changed my Switch timezone back to Eastern time. Now it's night on the island but the day hasn't changed or anything. So if you need something at a certain time of day, that's a quick and easy way to do it without messing with clock and time travel shenanigans.

Game is super adorable. I got the perfect island on the first try. Blue airport, juicy peaches, a decent layout, and Cherry and Kevin as my buddies. Paid off my first loan, now it's time for bed so I can enjoy a fuller day tomorrow. What a wonderful game.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Need advice! My miles are precious but I must proceed. Should I buy the increased pocket size or the tool upgrade book first?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Meridian posted:

Pocket size. Tools require iron which you probably don't have yet. I got both last night so it won't take you long to grab both recipe and space upgrade. Definitely get the tool ring too if you haven't. I'd go ring, space, tools.
Thanks! That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure. I nabbed the ring immediately so good to know I'm on the right track!

And yeah, Iron is super scarce, no idea how y'all are getting so much so quick.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

How're y'all explorers getting miles for tickets? Miles+ missions or are there easy big value ones I may be overlooking?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Clocks posted:

I've been doing rocks all wrong. For whatever reason I was just straight up shoveling them which was, uh, just leaving me with a small rock. Apparently if you hit them with a stone axe they vomit goodies at you. I'm going to have to grind some miles to go to a deserted island to get the iron to get the shop building.
Wait. What? Are you sure? My axe just looks like it's going to break when I try to hit rocks with it.

EDIT: also do we ever get the ability to reorganize our pockets?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

I am sure of this, yes. It'll do the bounce off if you've already run the rock dry, possibly including with the shovel.
You're absolutely right, and thank you so much. This is so much better.

Aardvark Barber posted:

Hold A on an item. You can move it around.
Bless you. Thanks!

Also what triggers getting your free Ticket from Nook? I have one but my SO hasn't gotten hers yet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ah. Figured it out. Nook gives you a free ticket after you upgrade to your house, she didn't do that last night.

I missed three grasshoppers on my first trip which sucks but it was otherwise profitable. Brought back some flowers and coconuts and fish. Are flowers by themselves good for anything?

I think I'm about tapped out for the day tho. Without a ladder to access the second level of the islands, it doesn't feel like I'm getting the full value of the trip so I'll wait to gather ore until I have the ladder. I wanted to finish both the museum and the shop today but I can live with one of the two.

By the way, when do we get that ladder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

This game is super fun but I'm afraid my immoral time travelling will make me exhaust all the cool poo poo too fast.
Honestly it probably will. I'm not saying you're playing the game wrong, as long as you're having fun you're doing it right, but the time limits are a part of the charm. If you do a month's work of progress in a week then you're going to quickly move out of the progression phase and into the "endgame" which is much more do whatever you want, collect stuff and decorate your town. If that's what's fun for you then game on! But for me, while I enjoy that, the game loses a lot of its draw once your loans are paid off and there's no concrete goal to work towards. I still like completing the museum, but I'm no designer or collector so the rest starts to lose its luster quickly once I'm too free.

EDIT: agreed that the first day is too limited. I would be bummed too if I hadn't played last night. The second day opens up so much.