Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all i want is the option to use the soundtrack from the original gamecube game because it's the best animal crossing soundtrack and in fact among the best soundtracks from any game ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm cool with paid DLC, which I would guess will DEFINITELY be a thing, but I would guess all of that pocket camp mobile nonsense will stay far, far away.

the only paid dlc i want is the gamecube soundtrack

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i don't know how long it took after AC came out, but i would swear there were eventually hacked passwords you could enter that would let you play mario and zelda.

nope. you can only get them through action replay.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am still very upset that i bought a switch in december because i really, really, REALLY want that animal crossing switch

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Khanstant posted:

The mere fact that they've seemed to go all in with this busy work crafting system tells me in my heart that there will be some sort of system to buy raw resources to save grinding.

this would be extraordinarily pointless in an animal crossing game imo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Khanstant posted:

It's cool to feel that way, but that just means it's exactly the kind of system that they could weasel in. Enough people will be like "lol I wouldn't buy that anyway, who cares" but at that point the game has already been designed around subtly making such a proposition have value to enough players to make money off of it.

i mean i agree with being very skeptical, but nintendo has not really done this with their console games yet and i feel like they are at least smart enough to know that this would not go down very well with consumers.

if they do gently caress it up, well, guess i'll just go back to my 17-year-old gamecube town :shrug:

Pylons posted:

It's not really possible to tell whether a game is grindy because they intend for you to want to utilize microtransactions to skip it or if it's just grindy because sometimes games are like that.

nah it is absolutely possible, play dead space 3 if you think otherwise

or, god fuckin forbid, dungeon keeper mobile

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pylons posted:

I haven't played it myself but I've heard nothing about Dead Space 3's microtransactions except that they're absolutely pointless.

the entire gameplay was compromised in service of the microtransactions. that game was not originally designed with any crafting system at all, it was added to facilitate microtransactions. this has been confirmed by former visceral employees, including the creative director for dead space 3.

going more in-depth about every way that ea hosed that game up is another subject for another thread, but in terms of microtransactions specifically, that game had to be re-deigned to implement those in a way not originally envisioned by the team behind it and it showed pretty clearly in the final product.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sure hope that direct comes soon so people can stop losing their minds that Nintendo are about to do something they've shown absolutely zero inclination to do, ever, for absolutely no reason.

i really doubt they do anything beyond like, amiibo poo poo for clothes or something

i will be fuckin livid if i am wrong because in every other way this looks like the best animal crossing game ever

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The Gamecube version is still my favourite. Paid off THREE houses, filled out the museum, got every kind of fruit, got every NES game, every KK Slider song, every gyroid. I've never felt so accomplished in a game since. Sorry I haven't visited in like... 15 years, Mooville.

yeah, i vastly prefer its acre-based camera system to the rolling world thing subsequent versions have done, i like the villagers' personalities more, it's still the game with the largest town size and most villagers in your village at once. and also, the soundtrack is far and away the best in the series, which given the kind of game animal crossing is, that's a really important factor.

i still play my village i've had since 2003. second one i made, the first i made before the game came out since you could rent it from blockbuster 2 weeks before launch, and i used the first town as a learning experience and then created the second town on the memory card that came with the game. 3 level, all houses paid off, all fish and bugs caught on all 4 characters, and i'm about 90% done filling out the catalog on my main character. i played it daily for 5 months straight last year.

i fuckin love animal crossing. i hope new horizins is awesome.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gripweed posted:

Absolutely. No 2016 primary chat. That's a very sensible rule.

Now, I was wondering, if Amy Klobuchar was a villager what animal would she be?

amy klobuchar is phyllis

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Whoa, I knew New Leaf was smaller being on the 3DS but I didn't know the GCN version was the biggest. I never played City Folk so I just assumed it was bigger. Was City Folk just a souped up Wild World port or something?

Agreed on the latter tho, I can't loving wait to dig into New Horizons.

animal crossing was 30 acres, compared with city folk's 25. new leaf is 20.

calling city folk a souped-up wild world isn't totally inaccurate, i mean it even shares the exact same soundtrack. but, it did enough to differentiate itself i guess. either way i think both it and wild world were vastly inferior to the original and new leaf, i really could not get into wild world at all and i couldn't really stick with city folk much either.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

an owls casket posted:

My hope early on in New Leaf was that I'd be able to catch a bunch of tarantulas and put them in my basement and advertise it as TarantulaTown for anyone who StreetPassed me, but I only ever managed to catch one, which I promptly gave to Blathers.

Speaking of, I really hope they go back to giving Blathers specific things to say for everything you bring to him. I was bummed when New Leaf cut that.

blathers' reaction when you bring him a cockroach in the original game is one of my favorite moments in the whole series

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i want 15 villagers as well and i want them to be the same 15 i have in my gamecube village, except for velma, who sucks

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

scoot is one of the three original day 1 villagers still living in my gamecube village along with velma and bones, he rules

my fav villager however is iggy because he is high as gently caress

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm more hyped for this game than i have been for any game since mass effect 3

boy i hope this game doesn't turn out the same

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the real question is who will be this game's kai leng, or can nintendo even come up with a character that embarrassing

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Electric Phantasm posted:

There's a lot to take in

this has to mean that godawful grass wear system is gone

thank gently caress

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just watched the direct

oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there's nothing else gameplay wise i could possibly ask for from this game after that direct, like holy gently caress

also the new museum exhibits look GODDAMN AMAZING holy poo poo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just want my favorite villagers from my ancient gamecube village to be on my island: bones, patty, scoot and iggy

and rasher too because was was an og and i miss him (he moved to my sister's village when i visited it).

jesus christ i've had that village for longer than a substantial portion of people who will have new horizons have even been alive

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my terraforming plans involve making niagra falls on my island

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my island is going to be crisscrossed with as many rivers as i can fit and be plastered in bernie sanders flags anywhere there isn't water

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 24, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mystery Machine posted:

I took a screenshot of the village map thing in the direct and painted over it. I think this what I wanna go for. A lush valley inside of a crater? I was thinking of putting a player-owned farmhouse in between the rivers and make that a fruit orchard, putting a church and a graveyard at the top of the crater where the water starts, make a winding path follow the rightmost river and do some dense urban development, fully paved with a road and houses all arranged in 1x3 city blocks. Hoping the terraforming tools are at least robust enough to get me somewhere like this. All I gotta do is make sure I start with one river mouth near the airport and I should've have to worry about the limitations of the terraforming system.

maybe they changed the way cliffs are allowed to work in this game, but in the past they could only be oriented in certain ways (prolly due to the camera angle), so i'm not sure you could actually have cliffs like that at the bottom of your island

cool idea anyway, and maybe it'll actually be doable

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Color Printer posted:

So in case anyone was wondering about the villagers that aren't in New Horizons, according to Nookipedia, we have...

- 43 villagers that haven't shown up since the Gamecube Animal Crossing
- 29 villagers from Doubutsu No Mori E+, the japan-only expanded release of the GameCube AC that was basically the NA version re-translated back to Japanese with new features (some villagers introduced in this game showed up again for everyone later, these 29 did not)
- Champ the Monkey from Wild World and City Folk, the only villager that has this distinction
- The eight special Amiibo villagers from New Leaf's Welcome Amiibo update (W. Link, Medli, Epona, Ganon, Inkwell, Cece, Viche, Felyne)
- The six Sanrio villagers from New Leaf's Welcome Amiibo update (Chai, Chelsea, Marty, Rilla, Toby, Étoile)
- Two Japan-only collab villagers from Happy Home Designer (Filly and Holden)

i went through this list and found that iggy, one of my absolute favorite villagers, is only in the very first animal crossing game. this greatly displeases me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I don't know what to name my new town. :ohdear:

all my animal crossing villages in all the games have been named after towns in morrowind

i think i'm going with dagon fel this time, if the name will fit

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my favorite song from the original is 8am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnqGALKqm4s

it's in my top 5 video game songs ever

3am, 4pm and 5pm are also all really, really great. i liked that new leaf's 5pm music was sort of a redo of the original's 5pm music.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Achernar posted:

I'm gonna have to go with 1pm or 7am. I'd love if we could unlock or switch to earlier soundtracks.

Also retroTV is the best.

my ideal scenario regarding music would be to just let us choose the music for each hour from any previous games

i'd personally just switch entirely to gamecube (unless the new soundtrack has some bangers), but i know others have a lot of affinity for other ac soundtracks

c'mon nintendo you're letting us customize like everything else in the game, just do it!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the one thing i don't see is a lake, so i wonder what that means for fish that have been exclusive to lakes in past games

maybe river sources will take the place of lakes

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain Monkey posted:

There are ponds.

ponds are not lakes and have a different set of fish in them than lakes

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i only ever finished the art gallery in the original. hoping to fill this one up with the help of goons as well as my friends and family who are all getting this game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my town tune has always been saria's song, and will be again

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

From what I heard the Japanese version originally had polite villagers and the NA translation punched things up. Then when it got retranslated to Japanese regions for the re-release they used the NA script.

But also it's not just normal villagers. Blathers got shut up in New Leaf, Resetti wasn't allowed to chew you out, a lot of stuff just kind of read more flat in general or less lively.

yeah this is one of the things that subsequent games disappointed me with. the animals in the first game had a lot more personality. as good as new leaf was in many respects, i feel it was the game in which the animals had the least personality. i hope it's better in new horizons.

also i really, really miss being able to just directly ask them if they need any favors rather than having to repeatedly talk to them, hoping that by random chance they will give me something to do.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tote up a bags posted:

It's offering -shima -jima or -tou, the three endings for island names in japanese. I am guessing the English alternative will be something like;

Ok, so which of these do you want?

Butt Island
Butt Isle
Isle Of Butt

etc

i hope they also give us the option of not having a prefix or suffix at all

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mutata posted:

Added rounded corners and some finishing if transparency is an option:

More saturated:

i am all the way down for this gang tag

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlsXJKz7mOw&t=313s

holy gently caress that museum :eyepop:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jackhunter64 posted:

Current list of RACCOON GOONS, if I've missed anyone then emptyquote the entire thing in anger

It's very definitely this one, although agreed it might look neater without the flag behind the text.

you missed me :argh:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just woke up 5 minutes ago from a dream in which i was playing this

it was pretty awesome aside from the great deku tree being on my island

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gripweed posted:

It's pretty clever for Nintendo to release their island vacation simulator just as air travel shuts down and people are trapped in their homes.

gonna name my island quarantine now

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gonna make myself nook inc.'s pet

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Modest Mao posted:

The first game had 15 animal residents + a random animal will sometimes camp in your town

With 380+ animals it'd be stupid to stick with 10 max like all the games after the first

yeah this plus the island size being about equal to new leaf's town size is disappointing

everything else looks amazing though so v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Modest Mao posted:

Original animal crossing had 7680 squares, New Horizons is 10,752 if you can fill in the beach to the edge of each acre.. makes it twice as big as city folk

Each acre is 16*16 squares, Gamecube had 5*6, City Folk 5*5 and NH 7*6

edit: at the very least, with the ocean around the island at the start, the island is pretty much the exact size as the gamecube town, ties for biggest

i swore someone posted something showing that this was demonstrably not the case but i could be wrong

at any rate the gamecube version certainly felt considerably larger than even new leaf, possibly entirely due to the camera angle