Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Really looking forward to this. Hurry up, March!

Also, despite not liking Pocket Camp, I have liked a lot of neat furniture/clothing/sets they have and I hope those make it into New Horizons in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Pocket Camp had some amazing Halloween sets as well as other themed stuff. Totally cool with bringing a lot of those in.

Yeah, the Halloween stuff is what I'd had specifically in mind! Fingers crossed.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

GoodBee posted:

I found a good thing to say about Pocket Camp! I got to see a whole bunch of different villagers.

I never saw a bunch of different villagers playing the other games. I found most of them inoffensive enough to not force them to leave town so I didn't really cycle through neighbors.

This is something I like about Pocket Camp as well. You get to see so many of the villagers, and between your camp + the cabin you can have a lot of favorites around all the time. There are so many different villagers in the main games - and I'm assuming New Horizons is adding more - that it would be nice if they made it easier to manage villagers. I wouldn't mind letting some move out now and again if there was an easy way to invite them to move back at any point. Plus I'd love to be able to go more all-in with town themes: have an all-cat town, or an all-food-themed villager town, or change out villagers each month so everyone living in town during a specific month has a birthday that month. :3:

I'm going to assume that level of control will never actually happen in the main game, but a girl can dream.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I will sacrifice as many Bobs as possible to get Punchy, the actual best cat into the game.

I regret to inform you that Punchy is actually the Second Best Cat after my BFF, Moe. But I too would sacrifice all the Bobs for my boy Moe.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

GoodBee posted:

I know what I want! I want the standard 8-ish villagers, with their houses and poo poo, AND a couple random other villagers visiting every day. And I can do favors for them so they'll like me and they might move in if one of the other villagers move out.

I guess they sorta kinda tried something like this with New Leaf, what with the camping tent/igloo that you could ask whoever was camping out to move in if you interacted with them enough and had the space. It was just one at a time, though, and not every day. Expanding that out more would be nice!

Also expanding the villager count living in your town back to 15, like Zore said.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Was not expecting terraforming at all. :stwoon:

C'moooon, March 20. Get here faster.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I want animated wallpaper and animated flooring and to join a raccoon gang and also for it to be March 20th already.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I think I had cherries in Wild World, pears in City Folk and oranges in New Leaf, so it'd be nice to get apples or peaches. Won't be too bothered by any of them, though. The only time I plan to reset is if my two starting villagers are complete garbage.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Eventually, I'd like to get Moe (my BFF), Lucky (my birthday buddy) and Ankha (my favorite design), but time enough for that later. I'll go with whoever shows up (especially since we don't seem to know more than a few of the new ones right now?) and work on getting the cards to summon my favs later.

If I can finagle it, I'd eventually like to have an island full of cats, like how I only keep the cats in my camp in Pocket Camp.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for the work involved in both making the tag and getting it handed out. Y'all doin' good work.

Booted up New Leaf last night and decided to give the town a celebratory de-weeding before I abandon them forever in favor of a permanent island vacation. Totally forgot Merry was still there; she is the only villager in New Leaf who stayed from the day I got the game until now. Hope you stop by my town in New Horizons, Merry. :unsmith:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I'm trying to make the first 10 seconds (or as close as I can) of this into a town theme. Have this so far, but am still workshopping it.

I have never been good at music. If anyone else wants to take a crack at it, feel free.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Framboise posted:

You get 2-4 measures of music in your town tune. So about 4 seconds worth.

Good to know, thanks! I will try to adjust accordingly.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

d3lness posted:

From the experienced villagers out there, what do you usually do during the first week or so considering the slow startup and burn of the game? Is the first leg of gameplay just meeting citizens, getting tools, and selling fruit?

If nothing else, might be a good time for getting a feel for your island/how things are laid out if you want to plan out where you want to put things or shape terrain later on.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Zuzie posted:

First I've heard of this, but I guess it makes sense as those two types are the most "outdoorsy" types.

It's not something that was officially announced, just one of the Animal Crossing sites (Animal Crossing World, I think?) noticed in all the preview coverage that whenever they showed the starting villagers they were always a Jock and an Uchi, so they tracked it for a while and I guess it's something that held out, so they feel safe stating that's the case.

Edit: It was Animal Crossing World. They have an article about it here and at the bottom include a handy table listing all Jock and Uchi villagers (minus any new unrevealed ones, obviously) if anyone wants to know who they have a chance of starting with.

ElTacoGato fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 17, 2020

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

All cats are top tier.

Both in Animal Crossing and real life.

:yeah:

I am curious to know just how many new villagers we're getting/if there are any they didn't show in pre-release stuff. I need to know if Bowie cat is the only new cat.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

SilkyP posted:

Can someone explain to me any down side to them doing this. Like what harm could it possibly do

Aside from the retailer stuff, I'd also imagine there'd need to be some level of coordination across regions so that everyone knows it's OK to go ahead and push the button early. Buuut at this point we're close enough to scheduled release, by the time they got that worked out it'd be nearly scheduled release time already, so they might figure there's no point to pushing the button early.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
They made the path stuff better in New Leaf, I think - I hardly noticed it, at least, but I guess I didn't play obsessively either - but I remember haaaating the implementation in City Folk. I tried keeping to paths, but there was invariably a bunch of stuff I wanted/needed off the paths, so eventually my town was pretty much a desert. It looked ugly, seemed slow to regrow, so I lost my interest in City Folk pretty soon after.

Glad it's out of New Horizons completely, tho.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Spent longer than I expected resetting because I kept getting a terrible villager, or like... two bears, or two birds, and I wanted a bit of variety, come on, game! Finally ended up with the island of Sunberry, Cherry the dog and Kody the bear, and cherries as my fruit. Think I got an okay-ish layout? Caught both the wasps that chased after me, surprising myself with my non-rusty net skillz. Managed to get Blathers tent all set up, but now I desperately need sleep.

Hopefully Sunberry will be open for fruit tradin' before too long!

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

And More posted:

Gulliver confused the hell out of me when he asked me to look for suspicious spots on the beach. Why would radio components squirt water at me?

This had me confused for so long as well. I had seen the clams squirting water the previous night, so I was running right by all of them looking for something like fossil spots or glowing spots in the sand, and when I didn't see any, went running over my entire island. I was just about to conclude that I had gotten unlucky and that they all must have spawned up on the tier of land I can't reach yet, went to dig up a clam, and got the part. :downs:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

The three villagers I talked to were cool, so I invited them too live with me and those same 3 are moving into lots corresponding to what order I talked to them. Meaning, I talked to Nana first and she's in the house labeled 1. Then Hornsby is 2, with Audie as 3.

I've only invited one villager so far (Skye the wolf) because most of the ones I've run into have been hideous looking. I've completed two of the Nook houses so far, though, and they've both gone to randos (Anchovy and Puddles). So I'm hoping Skye gets the third one. :ohdear:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Stringfish don't exist, they are a myth,, I got a manila clam, manila is my favorite flavor of clam.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

man nurse posted:

I caught like three in the span of an hour just walking around the various tiers of my island. I dunno, guess I got lucky. I didn’t even know they were such a big deal!

Romes128 posted:

I kept throwing bait at the top of the highest waterfall and one spawned in after like 10 baits.

:mad:

I think I've tried over 300 bait at this point, on both the second and third tier rivers on my island, catching every shadow (even the tiny ones I know won't be stringfish) JUST IN CASE.

I think the game is doing this to punish me for depleting the local oarfish population.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

victoria's room is SO CUTE

I have Puddles the frog and her room is similar. It is indeed very cute. :3:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Give me cherry blossom DIY recipes you stupid balloons. :argh:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got handed a cherry blossom picnic spread recipe first thing yesterday, but I believe that's the only one I've seen so far.

I got that, and I got the wall recipe from a balloon yesterday, but have otherwise received no other cherry blossom DIYs. I even spent a good couple hours today hunting for balloons, but just got a zillion sky eggs, one or two bunny recipes, a few bells and some clay/iron ore.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Foam Monkey posted:

Anybody else having issues with Sakura recipes? I’ve got most of the Egg ones, but all I have is the picnic one.

I got the picnic recipe from Isabelle, one recipe from a balloon the first day and a second recipe from a balloon today, but that's it. Non-Easter balloons have been hard to come by, and most of the ones I HAVE gotten have contained clay, iron or bells instead of cherry blossom DIYs.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Sorry to inform you all that I have won the game, for the business cat has blessed me.

thanks to Discord goons for telling me how to get him to replace someone other than Bones.

He blessed me at my campsite today as well! After having a housing plot open for 8 (?!) days and spending Nook ticket after Nook ticket on a search for a cat, any cat, plz stop giving me all three octopus villagers multiple times and give me one cat PLZ JEBUS... yaaaay campsite, you have made yourself worth it, finally. :3:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
What kinds of trees can cicada shells appear on? Need to know if I need to do some tree landscaping on my island to boost my odds (I think I have more fruit trees than cedar), or change what I look for in a Nook island (tried one tonight for an hour that had everything but cedar trees).

I just want to be out of this circle of hell that is searching every evening for a single cicada shell. :sigh:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Picayune posted:

I know it can appear on both fruit trees and cedars. I'm less certain about coconut trees.

I farmed for those little hollow bastards, so I feel you. It just takes forever.

Oh, thanks! Fruit trees were the main ones I was unsure of; I have an app on my (Android) phone for keeping track of what I need, and it says the shells are hardwood/cedar so I wasn't sure if fruit trees counted. I have some extra free time this weekend so I guess I'll try and grind out some more runnin' around starin' at trees for non-living bugs.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Just popping in to ask a question, but are the toy items locked to only one color per island? I've had the tent and the puppy twice and both have been black each time, and I can't customize them to another color. :(

And I wouldn't mind balloon event recipes so much if they didn't rely on that method of handing out event recipes so much, especially having so many different recipes suddenly available for a limited time via the same method. Let villagers give me them, let 'em wash up on the beach, let a snowflake turn out to be a recipe now and then or have a recipe drop from an ornament tree or something!

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Same, also downloading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Yeah, looks like it's all the 2.0 stuff that is currently live, not any DLC stuff yet (that I can tell).