Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just hope we get more than 10 custom tile slots per character this time, although I guess I wouldn't need as many now that pathmaking is an actual game feature instead of something we cobble together by making a bunch of brick tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

When they say that Animal Crossing does not support transferring saves between systems, does that just mean that it doesn't support transferring AC data as a standalone operation (which I didn't even think was possible for any game), or does it mean that even if I did a full system transfer to a new Switch, the AC data wouldn't go along with it?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

glassyalabolas posted:

[*]Animal Crossing: New Horizons does not support the ability to transfer your save file from one Nintendo Switch console to another.
[/list]

Yeah, but it's still not clear to me, does this mean you can't transfer the AC data as a standalone operation (ie, leaving other games' data behind)? Or does it mean that even with a full system transfer, your AC data would be left behind?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I always use my real name because my dream is to get isekaied into Animal Crossing the same way anime protagonists get portalled into MMORPGs

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Protip posted:

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1230516088032526336?s=19

ACPocketNews seems to be dumping a lot of additional screenshots and videos. The one above shows more interactions and dialog with villagers.

That bidet quote actually surprised me; I thought they were just generic "check this out" templates with different furniture mad libbed into them, but saying it's "like a cloud is hugging my butt" is a very specific description, so maybe they'll actually have unique things to say about different pieces of furniture? It wasn't like that in New Leaf, was it?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm trying to decide whether to continue my traditional name for my town (Traverse Town), or try something new like Fillory or Koholint. I can't think of any other fictional places populated by a diverse range of talking animals.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

rhoga posted:

I think at the end I see a few patterns with transparency. Still got my fingers crossed for that being added.

Pro (?) pattern editor lookin so sweeeeet. In my dreams you should be able to edit multiple patterns at once to make a 2x2/3x3/4x4 tile too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nope. The town resides on one Switch and can't be transferred--short of, I assume--a complete system transfer.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I too will not stand for this slander of the only landowner that gives you zero interest loans with infinite time to pay, and now even lets you pay by doing community service work via phone app.

Color Printer posted:

Where? All I see is a scarecrow.

But yeah considering they had him at the booth and the fact that he's pretty iconic, I doubt they took him out or messed with him too much.

Upper left. I swear, the people analyzing these videos...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm going to make a house that has nothing but a hoard of toilet paper and canned goods, which I'm assuming are things that I'll be able to find in the game.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I just checked the DBs for NL and HHD, and I can't find toilet paper, yet you can have toilets. This is (tentatively) an outrage!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Okay, I think I've come up with what I'll be using as my town theme

http://tunes.nooknet.net/?melody=B-C-s-B-C-s-B-s-G-A-s-G-A-s-G-s&title=Hello%20Ma%20Baby

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Anyone confirmed if there's still gonna be a coffee shop?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

d3lness posted:

From the experienced villagers out there, what do you usually do during the first week or so considering the slow startup and burn of the game? Is the first leg of gameplay just meeting citizens, getting tools, and selling fruit?

Hard to say because this game starts off very differently from previous games. In all the previous games, the town was already in place and most of the buildings were already there. Here, we're building from scratch. From what I heard anyway, you'll be scrounging around for about a week before all the cool stuff starts pouring in.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I hope I can get a harem of supernatural/sci-fi type villagers without amiibo cards. So the mummies, the clown, the robots, the stuffed bear.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Asked this upthread and it got buried, guessing I know the answer here but would be neat to confirm if this is known about the game:

I've convinced some friends who are new to Animal Crossing to get the game. With online play/friend codes, is it possible for them to create a character directly on my island, or do they need to create their own and then travel to mine to play together?

Subquestion would be: if they have to travel to mine, can they take up roots there and build a tent/house there like a main character? Or are they more of just a visitor who can (if made 'Best Friend') chop trees and buy stuff, but they never really live on my island like my wife would since she's another account on my local Switch ?

They will need to travel to yours, but cannot have their own place there. They're basically a guest. If they're good friends, you can tag them as being your best friends, which grants them some additional privileges, like chopping down trees and picking up items. Not sure about placing and taking furniture.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Frankston posted:

What does bait do?

Toss it in the water and a fish will appear.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

They probably mean other people's islands. I've only been to best friends' islands so I don't know how normal friends work, but as best friends, you can pick up and drop items, loot rocks and trees, and chop down/shovel trees. You can't place or take furniture. Haven't tried other interactions.

Also, haven't found any way for one person to give another person something that Blathers collects, but I think that may have been the case in the previous games too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

What the gently caress... I was fine leaving the gates open because I thought only best friends could do destructive operations on your town... but while I was having lunch, one of you assholes came in and took all my saplings. I'd completed all the non-native fruit and now all of them are gone. :mad:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Sorry for jumping the gun, I figured it out. People can't actually do that unless they're marked best friends. And one of mine took the trees because he thought those changes wouldn't persist on my town. So he's on his way to give back my trees.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Do I unlock anything if I use up all the fences Nook gave me? Or is it ok to just bide my time on this?

RealFoxy posted:

Tools don't break for player 2 if you're playing co-op on a local machine. If you plan on fishing for a long period of time or doing some major teraforming with the shovel/axe it's probably the best way to get things done.

The tools retain their regular durability though, so the next time you play that character individually, their tools will break on next-use. Used this trick to re-plant a bunch of trees in creating an orchard.

Just to be clear, for player 2, or for the person who is not the team leader?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

If i make extra accounts on my Switch so that I can have extra houses on my island, will their respective villagers be able to go online? Since technically only my primary account is linked to a Nintendo Online subscription.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Well that sucks... I'm already on a family subscription, split between eight of us. That means I'll need to use my primary character as a middleman for the others.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

If you're already on a family subscription then presumably you're covered, unless you mean you're on a family subscription with accounts that aren't the ones you're talking about.

Yeah, it's the latter. Seven other real life people are on the account, and I intend to eventually make seven extra accounts on my Switch for more houses to design.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

You can't sell it because you have it equipped.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Kaewan posted:

My turnips are @ 566 bells. Pop on over.

Code is HBQD5

I'll be quick, I'll leave a small tip :) Sorry if you're gonna have to sit through the cutscene twice in quick succession

Edit: actually I'll mail you the tip so that I don't need to risk going through another cutscene.

Argue fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 24, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

A Sometimes Food posted:

UH trying to go but getting interference.

Yeah that happens if someone is currently arriving on/leaving the island or is using their phone, just like in real life.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yay I made it home! Your cheque's in the mail :wink:

Edit: oh... you're not on my friend list, I thought I could send mail to any island I'd been to... I'll come back when your prices are cool

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I wish the museum plaques contained Blathers' info snippets on them. I mean you can clearly see from the graphics that quite a bit is written on them, certainly more than just the item name and your name. :mad: I don't want to have to re-catch/rediscover bugs/fish/fossils just to get some text outta him!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I was supposed to be in London today but my flight got cancelled because some bloke in the city was using his mobile phone, like an rear end in a top hat.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The item dupe trick seems hilariously easy. I'm not going to spoil my main villager with it, but if I make 7 extra profiles for 7 extra houses, I'm totally using it to fund expansions and furnishing. Ain't no way I'm going into the Nook debt cycle 7 extra times, and I'm not gonna get a family subscription just so my side characters can go online to sell turnips without my main as a middleman.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there any outdoor place where I can display items that are hanging-only?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I was thinking of buying this game but I'm a little worried about the weirdly low metacritic user score. Is this game actually bad?

It's been review bombed for some reason that I don't care to look at

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I don't suppose you can build a bridge between two cliffs, can you?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Okay, if 50-50 is accurate on the risk of burying 99k bells, then your average profit per tree over the long term would be 65k bells, compared to 20k per tree if you play it safe.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My limited stock item was the same as my infinite stock item today, lol

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

For the people saying to use the airport to leave... my friend left while I was standing right next to him, and we got the airport cutscene. I got no messages about him leaving quietly.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I take it I really can't customize pants. Does anyone have any orange pants, preferably as close to looking like Tracer's as possible?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Do gloves not exist in this game? I've seen so many shoes and socks, but I have yet to see gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://twitter.com/WhimsyWool/status/1243970971842875392