Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
this is a thread for doner, Halal Snack Packs, greasy pizza a metre across, gyros, whatever. I think I've been sufficiently broad in the thread title but specific enough to show the spirit of what I want to get into here. If its meat carved off a vertical spit, it probably belongs here. If you can buy it at 4 am and the dude who serves your order is just playing dice or backgammon in the corner with his mates until you turn up, it probably belongs here. If it has an attached shisha bar that isn't actually open to the public but you're cool to come in once you get to a certain unknowable point with the dudes who hang out there, it probably belongs here. I remember the greek cafe that was open 24 hours near me had insanely good baklava and if you rocked up at 7 am you could book out the upstairs room which had a byo licence (even though those don't apply between 12am and 10 am) and drink piss you bought in yourself there. They did all the normal doner stuff but also did a mean slap up breakfast and i normally went there after nightclub shifts and it was a nice melting pot where sober bartenders and drunk pissheads would exist in peaceful harmony bc we all understood that we were only allowed to drink there under the condition that it was low key and peaceful. Their steaks were nasty, I'm not sure why you could just buy a sit down rump steak there but it tasted old as hell.

Anyway I'll probably try to make a proper OP once the forum is running properly I just wanted to get in on the ground floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

this is a thread for doner, Halal Snack Packs, greasy pizza a metre across, gyros, whatever. I think I've been sufficiently broad in the thread title but specific enough to show the spirit of what I want to get into here. If its meat carved off a vertical spit, it probably belongs here. If you can buy it at 4 am and the dude who serves your order is just playing dice or backgammon in the corner with his mates until you turn up, it probably belongs here. If it has an attached shisha bar that isn't actually open to the public but you're cool to come in once you get to a certain unknowable point with the dudes who hang out there, it probably belongs here. I remember the greek cafe that was open 24 hours near me had insanely good baklava and if you rocked up at 7 am you could book out the upstairs room which had a byo licence (even though those don't apply between 12am and 10 am) and drink piss you bought in yourself there. They did all the normal doner stuff but also did a mean slap up breakfast and i normally went there after nightclub shifts and it was a nice melting pot where sober bartenders and drunk pissheads would exist in peaceful harmony bc we all understood that we were only allowed to drink there under the condition that it was low key and peaceful. Their steaks were nasty, I'm not sure why you could just buy a sit down rump steak there but it tasted old as hell.

Anyway I'll probably try to make a proper OP once the forum is running properly I just wanted to get in on the ground floor

I all but lived off Durum Doner my 6 months in Munich and it took me about 15 years to find a place that's even close to the same taste and quality in Utah.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have no idea why Euros/ Aussies insist we don't have them. They're everywhere where I live, but I live next to a large middle eastern community.

They're normally associated more with Lebanese / Jordanian / middle eastern food rather than Turkey though. They're also sold from either restaurants and stands rather than convenience stores, which tend to have a reputation for less healthy food.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i wish this was a thing in the usa because Mediterranean food is better than most fast food

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Gone Fashing posted:

i wish this was a thing in the usa because Mediterranean food is better than most fast food

its insanely gross but also mostly meat, which is really hard to have a problem with when you are many tins deep. I don't really gently caress with doner sober but a lot of the more established places operate as legit food places during the day so there's a nice wide range of quality of meat, salads, sauces and you can never really know for sure what you are oging to get but you start to establish a personal tier list and you'll only stray from your first preference if its on the complete opposite side of town, or you turn up and someone has gotten into a fistfight over a kebab

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
kebab(döner specifically) is big over here in finland. there's not much in the way of chains but you'll find a million small places in pretty much any city. quality varies wildly from horrible slop to really good

i like it best in a wrap or pita unless i know the place has good fries

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gone Fashing posted:

If youre on the East Coast I am inundated with meaty kebabs and Mediterranean stylings of a fast nature... it does exist and it is good!!!!!!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
when i ask for kebab in europe i get long slices of that steak, in asia i get one of those slices chopped into tiny bits

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I hope the US gets this more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Shwarma (sp?) is something I only ever hear Americans talk about and it’s pretty much the same ballpark so I imagine it’s probably picking up speed over there.