Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
DQ, Sonic and Freddy's all also have Onion Rings. Claiming BK has the best fast food onion ring is complete madness. They're extremely mid, they're just elevated by the excellent Zesty sauce. That combined with them being hands down better than their fries gets them overvalued.

Don't believe me? Try eating them without any Zesty sauce, you'll probably not even manage to finish them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Philthy posted:

While Culvers might have better onion rings, they don't have BK's Zesty Sauce to dip em into. So BK wins the 'ring game imo.

Q_res posted:

DQ, Sonic and Freddy's all also have Onion Rings. Claiming BK has the best fast food onion ring is complete madness. They're extremely mid, they're just elevated by the excellent Zesty sauce. That combined with them being hands down better than their fries gets them overvalued.

Don't believe me? Try eating them without any Zesty sauce, you'll probably not even manage to finish them.

Yeah the Zesty sauce rules, but saying that gives them the win on the onion ring front doesn't add up to me. I'll never claim Cane's has better chicken than say, Popeyes or whatever just because of the dipping sauce.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Twenty Four posted:

Yeah the Zesty sauce rules, but saying that gives them the win on the onion ring front doesn't add up to me. I'll never claim Cane's has better chicken than say, Popeyes or whatever just because of the dipping sauce.

I'd take Cane's fingers with their Canes sauce over Popeye's fingers with their Bold BBQ(insert whatever you dunk em with). Without sauce? Popeye's. But I'd never want them without sauce unless I was forced to. They're meant to be dunked.

Onion rings are a vehicle for the sauce as much as anything imo. Ya gotta have the sauce dips. Culver's onion rings with ketchup is fine. But it's not zesty sauce.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 30, 2024

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Philthy posted:

Onion rings are a vehicle for the sauce as much as anything imo.

This is where you're wrong, a good onion ring doesn't need any kind of sauce. See Freddy's or Culver's.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Philthy posted:

I'd take Cane's fingers with their Canes sauce over Popeye's fingers with their Bold BBQ(insert whatever you dunk em with). Without sauce? Popeye's. But I'd never want them without sauce unless I was forced to. They're meant to be dunked.

Onion rings are a vehicle for the sauce as much as anything imo. Ya gotta have the sauce dips. Culver's onion rings with ketchup is fine. But it's not zesty sauce.

Yeah I think we are on the same page, just I still don't think BK's rings are all that great, mostly because I like a lighter crispier flour breading on my onion rings than the crunchy gritty panko style breading they use.

Canes sauce is great, zesty sauce is great, and they make for a much better end result, but I don't feel like the sauce makes BK's rings a "better onion ring". Hell, I'll use zesty sauce on the fries, but they aren't my favorite fries either.

The fact that they even have onion rings as an option (and not at an upcharge) is an overall win though.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

what king of ritzy bk are some of you mofos eating at? i haven't been served hot food from a bk in over a decade to the point where it's a 100% no go unless it's actually the only option

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The one nearest me is very well managed, food's always fresh and good.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Mine is gross and I haven't eaten there in like 5 years even though I liked the flame taste because it's just dirty as hell.

If you go inside it's disgusting. If you go thru the drive thru you see all the spilled soda that dropped and stained the area outside the pick up window and on the pick up window.

I drive past it sometimes during lunch and there's never anyone there. I've never seen more than one car there at a time.

I figure it's a front for something at this point.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 30, 2024

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Clarification: UK goon.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't know why a whopper is like ten times better to me than a Bacon King when it's the same meat. I guess the mayo, ketchup and tomato (I don't get the onions or pickles) are carrying a lot of weight on the whopper experience.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Q_res posted:

This is where you're wrong, a good onion ring doesn't need any kind of sauce. See Freddy's or Culver's.

This guy knows what’s up :mmmsmug:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Q_res posted:

For restaurants that spice or flavor their breading, sure. We're talking fast food stuff. Culver's rings without anything is.. bland. Need to dip that. If you can eat them as-is, more power to you.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

gently caress the impossible whopper, bring back the BK Veggie goddamnit

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

gently caress the impossible whopper, bring back the BK Veggie goddamnit

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Honestly I think Zaxbys had the best onion rings until they took them off the menu. Thin, crispy, well seasoned, and more savory coating, just perfect. And they had the zaxbys version of zesty sauce.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
*guy who's never been to A&W voice* BK rings r good :dumb:

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Sonic, Burger King, Arby’s and even Popeyes are all owned by the same owners. Hence they compete for a space within their own market share.

Another day in the life of Randabis...

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Which is the dumbest thing.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Randabis posted:

Sonic, Burger King, Arby’s and even Popeyes are all owned by the same owners. Hence they compete for a space within their own market share.

they should make a combo restaurant like the kfc/tb places - imagine popeyes with sonic's drinks

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

halokiller posted:

they should make a combo restaurant like the kfc/tb places - imagine popeyes with sonic's drinks

Popeyes flavor on a grilled (through the BK broiler) chicken sandwich with curly fries and a cherry limeaide? Be still my cholesterol laden heart.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Torquemada posted:

Clarification: UK goon.

Ok, that makes sense. I've heard they're generally much better in any country besides the US.

Grand Fromage posted:

The one nearest me is very well managed, food's always fresh and good.

Wendigee posted:

Mine is gross and I haven't eaten there in like 5 years even though I liked the flame taste because it's just dirty as hell.

If you go inside it's disgusting. If you go thru the drive thru you see all the spilled soda that dropped and stained the area outside the pick up window and on the pick up window.

I drive past it sometimes during lunch and there's never anyone there. I've never seen more than one car there at a time.

I figure it's a front for something at this point.

These two posts are perfectly dichotomous. The last one I went to was a 'zero wait drive-through during lunch hours' kind of graveyard. I only went because of seemingly insanely good coupon prices. I hadn't gotten warm food from one before that either. I'm in a very different area than I was during any of those times, so it might actually be edible, but I'm not going to risk it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Randabis posted:

That's crazy. Arby's curly fries range from OK to amazing depending how fresh they are, and how well they were cooked. They're still light years better than any fries i've had from Popeyes or BK. Just serve them everywhere instead.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Philthy posted:

That's crazy. Arby's curly fries range from OK to amazing depending how fresh they are, and how well they were cooked. They're still light years better than any fries i've had from Popeyes or BK. Just serve them everywhere instead.

Something about the illusion of choice must make more money, or else every restaurant would be a Taco Bell / Pizza Hut by now.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

pointlessone posted:

Something about the illusion of choice must make more money, or else every restaurant would be a Taco Bell / Pizza Hut by now.

Whoever wins the Franchise Wars... we lose :(

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Randabis posted:

The half Burger King/half Popeyes shared fast food building near me makes more sense now

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

pointlessone posted:

Dokapon Findom posted:

Whoever wins the Franchise Wars... we lose :(

had to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqGLb4Oxge8

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Philthy posted:

I envy you being from somewhere where the Arby's curly fries aren't clearly frozen for a very long time before being prepared. It's not quite as bad as Jack N the Box where it's basically a carton of rocks but it's pretty close.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rick posted:

I envy you being from somewhere where the Arby's curly fries aren't clearly frozen for a very long time before being prepared. It's not quite as bad as Jack N the Box where it's basically a carton of rocks but it's pretty close.

On the flip side the fries from Popeyes I've always had have been those luke warm stale hard fries. Every time. For the past decade plus. I've never had good fries there. BK were super bad forever until they changed them recently and now they're OK, but I usually just sub those out for the rings n zesty sauce.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
alright the chicken wraps from bk were pretty good imo; the spicy one had more of that oil/sauce kind of coating that i expect from nashville hot which was a pleasant surprise

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
why exactly are the chicken fries so much more expensive than the chicken nuggets. someone please tell me i don't get it. is it because the chicken fries have more black pepper in them? are they just more food than the nugs? is it cause they taste different? someone enlighten me here

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I like the chicken fries but not the chicken nuggets for whatever reason. I think they're seasoned differently but near as I can tell they are fundamentally the same extruded meat product

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Only an experienced chicken meat artisan can create a chicken fry, any noob apprentice can create a nugget

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

saladscooper posted:

why exactly are the chicken fries so much more expensive than the chicken nuggets. someone please tell me i don't get it. is it because the chicken fries have more black pepper in them? are they just more food than the nugs? is it cause they taste different? someone enlighten me here

The regular nuggets are more bang for your buck. Also, the regular nuggets become an even better value with the larger sized orders, with the chicken fries it stays the same.

They do have a higher breading to chicken ratio, so I guess if you like more breading making them crispier that makes sense, but doesn't if you want more chicken. The shape lets you dip them easier and get more sauce but I don't find that crucial or anything. Also they are more seasoned than their regular chicken nuggets, (but not as spicy as their spicy nugs if they have those at your locations - they come and go around here). I guess all that stuff is the selling point.

Ultimately it was a gimmick that they hyped with advertising when they introduced them but isn't anything all that special. They were pushing them like some sort of mysterious novelty, like "Whoa what is a chicken fry? It's our crazy new invention! You gotta try 'em and find out what the deal is!" Turns out just a long narrow breaded ground chicken stick.

Once they cut the commercials I half expected them to do a LTO move and pull them but I imagine the menu price compared to what you get must make them pretty profitable, so they kept them around. Since I'm guessing all they have to do is pull them out of the freezer and drop them in the fryer, it makes sense.

I used to get coupons in the mail for either a medium or large order of chicken fries and a large actual french fry for $3 and that was a pretty good deal, but without something like that I wouldn't bother with regular menu price, with the regular nuggets being a better deal. They just aren't all that special to me.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
it's sixteen nuggets and 8 fries for nigh on the same price and then 12 fries for an exorbitant price. really burger king i don't understand you

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
best chicken fries are the chicken hot dog things from seven eleven anyway

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

I’d be far more impressed by chicken fries if they were more fry-esque. They’re always just giant floppy nugs, which aren’t bad, but for the price they are. Make em have like the Popeyes or bojangles breading, so it’s really crispy on the outside, yet still juicy on the inside. But we’re talking about BK, so who am I kidding.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I've never had a floppy Chicken Fry and in my experience they're much better than their terrible nuggets. Not enough to be worth the ridiculous price tag they put on them though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
the last time i got nuggets it was like 10 for a dollar back in 2016ish and they were basically the kids chicken nuggets you get in the frozen food section. they were inedible

i gotta imagine the chicken fries are better so they charge real prices for them?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Q_res posted:

I've never had a floppy Chicken Fry and in my experience they're much better than their terrible nuggets. Not enough to be worth the ridiculous price tag they put on them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Philthy posted:

the last time i got nuggets it was like 10 for a dollar back in 2016ish and they were basically the kids chicken nuggets you get in the frozen food section. they were inedible

i gotta imagine the chicken fries are better so they charge real prices for them?

Same. 10 for $1 nugz is my last experience with them as well. I just get a whopper or similar because I am a simpleton.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!