Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

sweet thursday posted:

I'm cheering for Team 9

I know a guy who played for the Team 9 of independent baseball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

marc trestman

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I want to see LSU play one of these XFL teams.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Remember, OG XFL drew 14 million viewers for its opener. The real test will be if they can maintain those numbers after the novelty has worn off and games being shown on ESPN2 and FS1 instead of the big boy networks.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
CAR

DALE

JONES

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Jagged Jim posted:

Remember, OG XFL drew 14 million viewers for its opener. The real test will be if they can maintain those numbers after the novelty has worn off and games being shown on ESPN2 and FS1 instead of the big boy networks.

We all know the answer to this.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I was thinking about going to the LA Wildcats Renegades game since it would be the first one played here but now? hahaha

Go. It’s fun. I had a blast today.

Edit: have some XFL scoreigami!

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 10, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I want to see LSU play one of these XFL teams.

You just want to hear Coach O all throughout the game.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1226683081190453249

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
They seem to be in a good position to suck up football fans who don't want to watch basketball on lazy sundays.
The quality of play seemed like roster bubble guys in a preseason game facing off, which is mostly what it was. Seemed a few notches smaller and slower than the real NFL.

If the NFL gets someone to develop talent they ruthlessly cut after their rookie deals are over, I suppose that's good for the quality of play overall. If they're paying the players, that's not too bad either.

I just wish that vince would have sprung for more expensive cameras, is that an XFL decision or a network decision? Just looked like FCS games on FS2

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My understanding is the networks get the games for free but have to do the production themselves so they’re probably going with the simplest established equipment and setup they already have in the stadiums to keep the whole thing cheap.

On one hand it keeps costs down for the XFL and is probably why we got straight football broadcasts and didn’t get the WWE style nonsense we did with the first go around. On the other hand the networks have no real investment in making the XFL a success. They just want something to fill air time on the cheap and novelty draws.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.

Dejan Bimble posted:

They seem to be in a good position to suck up football fans who don't want to watch basketball on lazy sundays.
The quality of play seemed like roster bubble guys in a preseason game facing off, which is mostly what it was. Seemed a few notches smaller and slower than the real NFL.

If the NFL gets someone to develop talent they ruthlessly cut after their rookie deals are over, I suppose that's good for the quality of play overall. If they're paying the players, that's not too bad either.

I just wish that vince would have sprung for more expensive cameras, is that an XFL decision or a network decision? Just looked like FCS games on FS2

The broadcast team for one of the games brought up that one player couldn't get academically eligible so he went to the XFL instead and will go in the draft this year. I don't know if there is an age restriction but if there isn't you could see more of those guys who would have gone the JUCO route go to the XFL.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Honestly I think this was about as good of an opening weekend as they could have hoped for. Most of the rule changes went over well, there's at least semi-competent players on the field, critical reception I've seen has been positive. Dare I say they learned a lesson from the first time and didn't try to be extreme for extreme's sake?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Honestly I think this was about as good of an opening weekend as they could have hoped for. Most of the rule changes went over well, there's at least semi-competent players on the field, critical reception I've seen has been positive. Dare I say they learned a lesson from the first time and didn't try to be extreme for extreme's sake?

Did you SEE the Vipers uniforms?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Jagged Jim posted:

Yeah well 2001 was the time of the Attitude Era in the WWF, NASCAR was still loving huge, and none of those viewers had ever heard of "online streaming" before so let's not go and compare numbers to completely different eras of history here. TV lost 27% of its 18-49 viewer base in the last two years alone, let alone comparing 2001 to 2020.

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 10, 2020

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

On the other hand the networks have no real investment in making the XFL a success. They just want something to fill air time on the cheap and novelty draws.
This isn't like the first time the XFL came around. Now nobody watches TV, no one watches advertisements. Live TV that gets asses in chairs during a particular timeslot is valuable these days no matter what it is. See: the insane deal for the WWE.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

I don't understand the weirdo dweebingtons that actively want this to fail. More football is good. Just leave it on in the background while you retweet sick political twitter takedowns or whatever

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BrownThunder posted:

I don't understand the weirdo dweebingtons that actively want this to fail. More football is good. Just leave it on in the background while you retweet sick political twitter takedowns or whatever

Gotta get my sick funny comment out there about how this wont make it to week 6 or whatever

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

BrownThunder posted:

some people are huge dorks lol

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Ehud posted:

some people are huge dorks lol

turn on your freaking monitor!!!!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

a patagonian cavy posted:

turn on your freaking monitor!!!!

Why u talking to yourself?!?

😎

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Went to the Guardians game yesterday, had a pretty decent time. I like the rules changes and they weren't too difficult to follow.

Anything above the 100 level and the entire hard-camera side of the stadium was empty, so even if there were 17K people there the place looked pretty sparse. I get the prestige of wanting to be in a big boy stadium but I feel like they should've tried Red Bull stadium or something a little smaller just for the initial optics, and maybe move up if it catches on. Not sure how it looked on TV.

Crowd seemed really into it during the first half, big reactions for the big plays. It ended up being a blow out so about half of the crowd was gonna halfway into the 4th quarter. I saw one tailgater put himself through a table in the parking lot and one streaker almost make it onto the field.

If I can snag cheap tickets again I'll definitely go to another game.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I liked the part where the guy said "This is the XFL"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
For the love of football

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I have to give credit where it’s due, week 1 wasn’t the embarassing shitshow I was expecting!

I legitimately enjoyed the Guardians/Vipers game and while Battlehawks/Renegades wasn’t as good it didn’t feel that much worse than some of the Lions or Browns games I’ve seen over the years. I’m still on the cynical “don’t expect it to last more than a year” bandwagon but week one was a pleasant surprise and I’d love to be wrong about that.

I dig some of the rule changes, the PAT stuff in particular could be fun in more competitive games. Listening in to the sky judge doing video review was excellent and the NFL should steal it immediately.

I will tune in next Sunday, so I suppose that’s a good sign!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Between Matt McGloin being this era's Tommy Maddox and Joe Horn's son you can count me in on the Guardians bandwagon. And that's a shoot brother

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

davecrazy posted:

Go. It’s fun. I had a blast today.

Edit: have some XFL scoreigami!

With the three-tiered extra point, they should fill it in pretty quickly.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm on Team Defenders I've decided

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Their best chance is to run things as professionally as possible and then hopefully get a talent-sharing deal with the NFL where practice squad guys can play in the XFL during the offseason and come back for NFL training camps

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hearing Jim Zorn mic'd up and avoiding swearing with his "dagummit" persona is almost heartwarming.

It's a shame the Dragons look terrible otherwise!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Go Roughnecks. They may have a lame name but Phillip Walker fucken owns and they just looked different from the other teams, bigger and faster and with sharper execution of plays

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, is the verdict still "it's football"?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

iospace posted:

The XFL is good

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It's basically the AAF with better rules, more money and actual TV deals so yeah. It was a very good launch weekend, considering. No serious technical issues, the new rules were adjudicated well, and overall the announcers were good. The new gimmicks where everyone is mic'd up were good. Greg Olsen in particular was fun to listen to

My favorite thing about it though is just to have a second league where players can hone their skills and keep getting paid to play football even if they can't get a contract with an NFL team. There's a lot of guys like that and if it goes on long enough I'm positive we'll see many players move from the XFL to the NFL. Hell the AAF managed to do that and it didn't even finish a single season

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Play posted:

Greg Olsen in particular was fun to listen to
I know it's lazy to compare him to Witten in the booth but he is so much better

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

Things I like:

1. Rule adjustments, specifically kickoffs and extra points (hell yeah at 3 point conversions)
2. Somewhat speedier game, though not by much
3. Interviews with players after a big play, I'm still laughing at them interviewing a kicker after he shanked a FG

Things I'm getting used to:
1. Coaches and refs mic'd up, concept is cool but hearing everything is somewhat jarring
2. The uniforms

Things I don't like:
1. Quality of play is still very much under the NFL by a noticeable margin, hard to tell if these guys could beat the best college teams
2. It started just a week after the Super Bowl, which is the apex of football so it's kind of like... maybe have a month break first?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

seiferguy posted:

2. It started just a week after the Super Bowl, which is the apex of football so it's kind of like... maybe have a month break first?

Cant do that. This way it ends right before the draft and is putting a lot of tape out there during NFL free agency.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/xflnewsroom/status/1226962938176638976?s=21

another failed belichick assistant

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
hahaha after 1 game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Play posted:

My favorite thing about it though is just to have a second league where players can hone their skills and keep getting paid to play football even if they can't get a contract with an NFL team. There's a lot of guys like that and if it goes on long enough I'm positive we'll see many players move from the XFL to the NFL. Hell the AAF managed to do that and it didn't even finish a single season

If it lasts it seems entirely plausible the XFL could eventually hit on a guy like Kurt Warner or Doug Flutie who slipped through the cracks in the NFL. I’m all for a second chance league!