Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

lol that's amazing, fired after the first game in a brand new league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I watched both Sunday games and the clock operation seemed like complete chaos. They explained the new 2-minute clock rules multiple times but it never seemed to line up with what was happening in the game. So a play downed in the middle of the field under 2 minutes stops the clock for placement + 5 seconds, then resumes? Or the other way around? They called it a "5 second runoff" which is the exact opposite of what it seemed to imply.

Edit: Didn't help that the refs asked for clock corrections 4/5 times a game near the end.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

I watched both Sunday games and the clock operation seemed like complete chaos. They explained the new 2-minute clock rules multiple times but it never seemed to line up with what was happening in the game. So a play downed in the middle of the field under 2 minutes stops the clock for placement + 5 seconds, then resumes? Or the other way around? They called it a "5 second runoff" which is the exact opposite of what it seemed to imply.

Edit: Didn't help that the refs asked for clock corrections 4/5 times a game near the end.

you're not wrong, the clock needed fixing a bunch of times

a play down in the middle of the field stops the clock until the ball is placed & the referees get out of the way, at which time the play clock starts, and when the play clock hits 20 the game clock starts.

basically the refs just need to signal better; specifically, they need to signal a clock stoppage after a play after 2:00, and separate signals for starting the play clock & starting the game clock.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

seiferguy posted:

1. Quality of play is still very much under the NFL by a noticeable margin, hard to tell if these guys could beat the best college teams

Keep in mind training camp was not long and in general these guys haven't had a ton of time to play together. Would the current worst XFL team lose to last year's LSU CFB team? Honestly, they probably would, easily. Mostly because of how simplistic all of their schemes are. But the level of play should keep increasing as the weeks and seasons go along, and coaches will be able to put in some more advanced stuff.

I mean check out week 1 of the NFL, they have way more advantages and oftentimes teams that look lost in week 1 end up looking amazing a few weeks on. So hopefully the play will be a little better in a few weeks.

The Roughnecks looked good af though

e: loling that a 35 yard field goal is the first play in the best plays of the week series. But if people didn't get to see it this'll give you a decent idea of how it was, at least on the high points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEhLLbZyBnY

Play fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 10, 2020

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
There was 20x times the betting on the XFLs first two games compared to AAFs first two games, which is a good sign considering that gambling was supposed to be the AAFs big special thing

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What motivates a person to gamble on a game between two completely new teams that have never played a game before

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pakled posted:

What motivates a person to gamble on a game between two completely new teams that have never played a game before

Addiction?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How do you even make betting lines for games in a brand new league with brand new teams with completely unknown quantities as players?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How do you even make betting lines for games in a brand new league with brand new teams with completely unknown quantities as players?

The coaches

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Coaches like ross mentioned but also a lot of these players they do know things about, either from college, the AAF or the NFL. Take the head coach and the starting quarterback and you've already got some idea of how well they might play.

The exact formula they use though is obvious completely beyond peons like us. All that matters is that they're right more than they're wrong I suppose

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L2RPgFt8M4

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I suspect market was also a big factor in setting the initial lines. Landry Jones was known to be out when that Dallas -9.5 line was set, I'm assuming it was in large part because Dallas is a big football market and they were likely to see a lot more action on them than St Louis.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Pakled posted:

Sounds like someone didn’t do a St. Louis-Tampa Bay moneyline parlay on Sunday

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Guessing with other people's money

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Petition for the thread to be named something more positive, something like:

XFL Week 1 N/V: Oh, for the love of football!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Technically this should be closed and we should be onto Cincinnati Week 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮