Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
They said they didn't make as much money as anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Still super sad this game got axe murdered. :smith:

Is there anything like it? Single-shard spaceship mmo with programmable modules? (And with goons, ofc)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Hommando posted:

They said they didn't make as much money as anticipated.

they should have finished the drat game then :colbert:

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

cmdrk posted:

periodic "cargo shipments" which.. I guess are NPC ships they set up for people to dismantle and sell for money?

lol no this is one of the CMs doing it by hand, no npcs allowed

game caps out at 140 players daily, for reference that's 10 less than the number of devs the ceo claimed were working on it a year or two ago

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i enjoyed the brief time i played, trying to make a deep trip into the belt for rare resources, having to abandon my ship halfway because i ran out of gas and hitchhiking on another goons ship, which then hit an asteroid and we spent like an hour trying to figure out which wires were busted so we could rewire it and get it moving again.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
The thing I regret most about this game is that the ship building was so cool and intricate that I can't bear to play any of the other build-your-own-spaceship games. Nothing even seems comparable.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah. It's too bad the secret of shipbuilding turned out to be to strap 500 ugly boxes to the front though

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Yeah. It's too bad the secret of shipbuilding turned out to be to strap 500 ugly boxes to the front though

I don't remember this. Were people using ore crates as armor or something?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

No, it's all the laser rangefinders for automatic belt navigation. Generally the more you had the better off you were.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh right. Actually that was often a trap because even with basically perfect rangefinder coverage asteroids would sometimes sneak through (or glitch through) and wreck your ship.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Fortunately there was a buggy AF function of the wrist band that could recall the pieces floating in space and place them back on the ship. Assuming they weren't damaged, there weren't any pieces of pipe or wire attached, you stopped quick enough and were still in the same orientation, and you made your mechanical goat sacrifice that day.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

No, it's all the laser rangefinders for automatic belt navigation. Generally the more you had the better off you were.

Would it have killed them to make like, I don't know, something that scans forward in a cone as opposed to needing a million beam things?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
YOLOL looked like a really cool concept. I'm not a huge fan of inventing new programming languages but having a sandboxed scripting language with fixed execution intervals seems neat. How did it work in practice?

IMO, more games should have programmability.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

cmdrk posted:

How did it work in practice?

I really liked it. It was limited in a way that honestly felt kinda appropriate for the game itself. I really liked the way that you needed a physical panel and housing for each script in your ship, because it further encouraged you to build ships in a way that felt meaningful. I loved building little computer rooms.

It's such a shame that they never figured out how to make that game feel complete. I feel like all it really needed were more points of interest to funnel people back together after leaving the safe zone. A half dozen far apart special capturable stations that provided some tangible benefit for the group that controlled them would have instantly made that game more fun.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

YOLOL was fun. Its limitations made it feel like I was playing a Zachtronics game inside of an MMO. Though the way it encouraged you to squish as much as you can into a single line had the tendency to make programs really unreadable.

Also there were a few bugs that made it clear that whoever designed the parser for it had no idea how to write a language parser.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The problem was outside of “loving with folk” there was no conflict driver. If you were willing to leave station “off bore” you could basically never see another human for days. Space is big.

I got to the point where I had a big mining ship with auto miners/Hoovers and I could just print anything I wanted with no reason to print it. Fights only happened at the pvp transition and the gate because those were two areas that players bottlenecked into.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

Pavlov posted:

YOLOL was fun. Its limitations made it feel like I was playing a Zachtronics game inside of an MMO. Though the way it encouraged you to squish as much as you can into a single line had the tendency to make programs really unreadable.

Also there were a few bugs that made it clear that whoever designed the parser for it had no idea how to write a language parser.

There was something truly unique and amazing about going through the process of retrofitting nav beacons onto a store bought ship and C&Ping the ISAN navigation scripts into the physical YOLO chips one line at a time.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Starbase is certainly up there with Age of Wushu in my brain of "truly wild MMO experiences I will remember forever". Even if that equates to bolting myself to a goons box and only seeing pvp once in three hours

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Zodack posted:

Starbase is certainly up there with Age of Wushu in my brain of "truly wild MMO experiences I will remember forever". Even if that equates to bolting myself to a goons box and only seeing pvp once in three hours

I think I was only in PvP for 5 total minutes of the 60+ hours I played and I feel the same way. It is such a shame that the extremely obvious things that would have kept people playing were not in the vision of the creator or whatever.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Yeah, same. I will remember the game forever. The mining was oddly satisfying.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Yeah, I'm pretty bummed this is pretty much dead. We had some fun PvP times with friends. Driving our incredibly scrappy labourer out with a few tripod guns on it where we completely toasted someone in their super fancy looking fighter. Hit one of their reactors and blew it in half.

Went to go salvage the wreck, took the guns and expensive components to sell. But then realized our heatsinks took too much damage, and some pipes were disconnected, our ship could barely move at about 5% thrust capacity. After doing some local repairs we still needed a new heatsink and slowly limped over to a nearby ship graveyard from some other fight that must have taken place at one point. We found some intact heatsinks and popped them off to replace our busted ones.

After that we were smooth sailing back home. A truly unique experience I don't think I'll ever see in another game again.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Some of the best parts of this game were when your ship got damaged and you had to jerry-rig it to get back. Near launch, when kutonium was super expensive, I made the long trip out into the belt so we could have enough for a goon base. On the way back I think I hit 3 different asteroids, and each time I had to rip off pieces of my ship to replace other ones I actually needed. By the time I got back, I think I only had one functioning instrument display left on the ship, but that was enough to keep track of the signal back to origin.

It was definitely a one of a kind game.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Pavlov posted:

On the plus side, it was a proof of concept of a kind of game that I thought wasn't possible on modern hardware. Hopefully there is some team out there trying to copy the good parts.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Pavlov posted:

Agreed, I'm so glad I got to play it during it's prime. I had some genuinely unique and amazing expereiences in Starbase.
The PvP (when it happened) was great, engaging and interesting. I remember goon friends asking for help salvaging a miner the'd shot on the way back. I flew out to a fresh graveyard and stripped the expensive T2 stuff off the ship plus the tasty ores, bolting them to the side of my ship and hauling it back, charging a salvage fee.
I had some amazing moments like ya'll getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. Two in particular stick out.
One time I got stuck in the field running out of fuel (I couldn't tow, it was either outside the safe zone or it was before it was implemented) and I actually had to broadcast and hope someone would come. I left the game on another monitor and like an hour later someone came by. I explained the situation and the guy pulled by, donated me a fuel rod and wished me luck. And I made it back!
The other experience was moon mining, getting there was fine, getting back I busted up the ship and lost like majority thruster power. I did the quick math and worked out I just couldn't make it back in time if I didn't go faster. I had to juryrig the remaining thrusters so a subset were always on 100% forward and I manually controlled pitch/yaw to get out the field and it was SCARY.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
What!? Starbase is dead? I bought it as soon as it dropped then proceeded to never play it. I did have hopes of getting around to it eventually...

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

kaffo posted:

glad I got to play it during it's prime.

Like 3 weeks last August? lol

Yeah hopefully someday a sensible developer tackles this idea again, it really was surprisingly functional for such a high concept.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

metasynthetic posted:

Like 3 weeks last August? lol

Has it really been that long? I'm getting old

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Zodack posted:

Has it really been that long? I'm getting old

My thoughts exactly. I was like, drat, didn't this game just come out.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

My Starbase moment was flying near a furball of several fighters on the way back to Origin. Two light fighters broke off and followed me instead. I had a pretty heavily armored (and lightly armed, but i judged getting away from the furball was more important than dogfighting) freighter all things considered, so when the first one came in fat and happy and concentrated on shooting I was able to drill them centerline with a tripod gun, knocking them out in one extended burst. I lost some speed from engine damage though, so the other one was much more able to cautiously harass me with attack runs. Eventually the starboard pontoon ripped off entirely from structural damage and both control runs got knocked out, but damage on the fighter added up too so we had a foot gunfight between two disabled ships. I won (it helped I had a lot more cover...) but before I could make any repairs another fighter showed up and murdered me with its cannons.

Turned out that the third fighter was the enemy of the first guys though, they thought I was one of the light fighter pilots looting the wreck of my ship. So after some communication they helped me find the wreckage again. Took me like 40 minutes to get control reestablished and the ship able to move without pieces ripping off, having to salvage parts of the separated starboard pontoon to bring the port generators back up to spec.

Pro tip I learned from that: Never put cargo fields in the *middle* of the ship. In the first strafing run, I probably suffered more damage from my own cargo than I did from the cannons...

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 15, 2022

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

apparently they are "ramping up development slowly"

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
just checking in on this broke forever-alpha game.

looks like there's occasional reddit posts from the remaining 50 people still playing the game, and some people are having some fun claiming an entire planet for themselves.

no official news or tweets in over a month as far as I can tell.

it's dead jim.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Lauri has been posting a little on Reddit recently, confirming that they will ramp up development

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Honestly, unless they have learned some hard lessons or they pull a FFXIV and fly in a rock star team lead to give the project some new direction. I cannot see how it's possible for them to turn Starbase around.

They've shown time and again the team have really dumb ideas about how MMOs should operate and refuse to listen to wider community. Which is a crying shame considering the potential the game had.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
they should follow the old adage.

always listen to what your players complain about, never listen to what your players suggest to fix it

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Kevin Bacon posted:

Lauri has been posting a little on Reddit recently, confirming that they will ramp up development

I hope for the best. If factories get added I'll probably get back in.

We could then reboot computer.

What was the reason the discord mods banned people for saying that again?

Edit: heh it was on the first page, shouldn't post with fever.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 22, 2022

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Frozenbyte apparently got the Glassdoor review that is this thread's namesake removed. Fortunately the page for the company has nearly every review now complaining about how lovely the CEO is.

E: Oh it still exists I guess somehow they got it to not display on their company summary anymore.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 29, 2022

Soren_
Apr 3, 2012

Keisari posted:

I hope for the best. If factories get added I'll probably get back in.

We could then reboot computer.

What was the reason the discord mods banned people for saying that again?

Edit: heh it was on the first page, shouldn't post with fever.

All I remember is everyone started posting computer, and then it got out of control, turning into it's own thriving shitpost of a meme.

If we do go back, we would have to make a new company. The current owner quit SA and didn't hand over any keys.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Soren_ posted:

All I remember is everyone started posting computer, and then it got out of control, turning into it's own thriving shitpost of a meme.

If we do go back, we would have to make a new company. The current owner quit SA and didn't hand over any keys.

The computer is dead, long live macintosh.

Is quitting an euphemism for a permaban or something or did they just tell someone they're done?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I believe TT was permad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keisari
May 24, 2011

queeb posted:

Yeah I believe TT was permad.

Oh right it was TT! I checked, he isn't permad, just basic ban. But I recall he turned out to be a certain kind of guy that no one will want to play with him from here, so yeah it's done.