Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGHpnotiq
Jun 12, 2010
computer

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
logged in, game went down to less than 1 fps when two ships collided, and it stayed like that till i restarted the game

literally unplayable in fights.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

logged in, game went down to less than 1 fps when two ships collided, and it stayed like that till i restarted the game

Awesome can’t wait for more of your takes.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

If they actually picked this guy as a tester lol. It would be about in line with how they’ve ran everything else in their freak community and this also sounds exactly like I expect the game to run so I believe you.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Comrayn posted:

If they actually picked this guy as a tester lol. It would be about in line with how they’ve ran everything else in their freak community and this also sounds exactly like I expect the game to run so I believe you.

You shouldn't believe him.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
we should just pretend we got in and start a bunch of fun rumors

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
turns out YOLOL can talk directly to the server, cue big brain genius sniffing out the GM commands and taking everyone for a ride lol

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
turns out if you place more than 16 thrusters on a ship you can crash the server because the game wasn't expecting you to have more than that

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
You can create a bare bones ship, land it on a larger vessel, then weld a couple of plates connecting the two together which allows you to pilot the other ship using your flight panel. This can be done in a safe zone.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
If you drag an asteroid back to the safe zone, you can launch it like a catapult at the space station

and the game wont recognize it as an attack because physics

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I used the game's programming language to create an AI that plays starbase for me, then copied it 500000 times

There you go, starbase is full now, u cant get in

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I heard YOLOL can be used to reverse the polarity on another persons graphics card, causing the 1 fps 'glitch'.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I found an infinate recursion bug in YOLO. So I've cooked it into some of ship designs so when people buy it and do random poo poo like try to fire a turret or use a door it crashes their game and everyone with the ship loaded.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Good News everyone! Some of us are starting to get into the alpha!

I've been in since Friday, and have been suggesting active people in our discord to join. However, it appears that being a bit sycophantic in their discord is a bit of a requirement to get an alpha invite (:ohdear:), but we now have 4 people in the Alpha, with maybe more coming? We'll see.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

I'd love to start picking apart the alpha, but not enough to jump up and down on Discord trying to get someone's attention.

I'd imagine it makes sure they get people who are willing to invest time into the game?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Aertuun posted:

I'd love to start picking apart the alpha, but not enough to jump up and down on Discord trying to get someone's attention.

I'd imagine it makes sure they get people who are willing to invest time into the game?

Yes and also say absolutely nothing bad about it ever.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Comrayn posted:

Yes and also say absolutely nothing bad about it ever.

pretty standard way of running some meme crowdfunded game that hardly works as advertised

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Variable Haircut posted:

I heard YOLOL can be used to reverse the polarity on another persons graphics card, causing the 1 fps 'glitch'.

Yesterday I was pair programming with someone who actually has a key, and we actually did find a YOLOL bug you could FPS bomb people with. It just used string operations on Japanese text though.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Threads been dead for a while, did everyone just lose interest in the game?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Back Hack posted:

Threads been dead for a while, did everyone just lose interest in the game?

If it ever goes open beta people will give a poo poo, right now though not much to talk about.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
my expectation is that it will be a laggy jankfest as with all of these games where tons of individual little nuts and bolts are being tracked by the server, plus the YOLOL thing.. maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that you could take control of a ship by welding a plate to it and your smaller ship. Would it be possible to make a missile/mine/whatever that would attach itself to a passing ship, and start pissing random commands into it? That seems like a fun way to mess with people.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think that was in the "making broken poo poo up because we aren't in the alpha to see what is actually broken" phase of the thread.

Wouldn't surprise me if something like that ends up really happening though.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starbase - Alpha News: Beam Welding, Universal Tool Update, ISAN Navigation & More
Starbase Fleet PVP Tournament - The Simulations vs Collective: Cadmium
Starbase Boltcrackers Fleet PVP Tournament

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

More tournament stuff.
Starbase Fleet PVP Tournament - The White Knights vs. Collective: Carnelian
Starbase Fleet PVP Tournament - Solar Predators VS Plums
Starbase Fleet PVP Tournament - Senksquad vs. Bufferfisfull

Seems like the Collective is only one that understands what layered armor is.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Apparently devs are making balance changes in favor of their favorite teams in this pvp tournament.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Well the turret armor for sure is getting nerfed because of how much sheer amount of damage they can absorb before breaking. Wonder what else they're nerfing.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

RocketRaygun posted:

Apparently devs are making balance changes in favor of their favorite teams in this pvp tournament.
In favor of the teams they're on, to be precise.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Anyone who's in the alpha, or knows someone in the alpha, what's the thoughts on the game?
I kinda stopped keeping track after I didn't get an invite, but people seem to be playing it so it can't be not fun right?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

kaffo posted:

Anyone who's in the alpha, or knows someone in the alpha, what's the thoughts on the game?
Tedious and grindy, gets even more so every patch, and bringing that up to some of the devs causes them to get very defensive about it.

kaffo posted:

I kinda stopped keeping track after I didn't get an invite, but people seem to be playing it so it can't be not fun right?
Of the >1000 people with access to the game, there's maybe two dozen active players. Outside of big advertised events and outside of the first week or two, I haven't seen more than 6-8 people in-game in any one place. Even then, only rarely. Usually when I log on there isn't a single soul at any of the stations.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 17, 2020

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

kaffo posted:

It's a toil and labor simulator. You literally do lovely jobs to buy way too expensive ships to go out and get more money from rocks that are the same jobs you did at the space station.

It's an extremely bad game and there are no redeeming qualities to it.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

That sucks, I had a sliver of hope that they'd not gently caress it up

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

RocketRaygun posted:

It's an extremely bad game and there are no redeeming qualities to it.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It’s been over a year since I was permanently muted in the discord for saying computer and that was the only thing to do in this game.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

same

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
So is there any way to actually PLAY this game, or is the thread title basically accurate?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Consider yourself lucky that you can't.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The more I see of this game the less interested I become. The combat in particular looks very janky and not in a good way. Seems like a bunch of cool ideas, but not much of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

It's a complete mess and they have no idea what they're doing. Grindy as hell with basically nothing to do, and every patch has made it worse, not better. They ignore/dismiss feedback about it by saying "just build cheaper ships" :smuggo:. It got so bad at one point in the alpha feedback channels and people were so pissed off about it that the CEO had to step in and lower material prices, but they've since slowly ramped them back up again. Expect to mine lovely asteroids for hours for a ship that lasts ten minutes in a fight.

Also check out their griefing and social engineering policies thread. How will they possibly enforce this? Player volunteers, of course, who are free to also be members of various factions. Conflict of interest? Never heard of one.