Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Welcome, welcome! Do sit down. Now don’t be afraid, I may look like an eight foot tall carnivorous monster made from two different species, but I’m really quite friendly!
I am also a doctor, I hold several medical degrees on my home planet, and I’m sure I’ll make the jump to human biology quickly!
Why, just the other day, I learned that humans do in fact have tentacles, though it seems to just be the males, and from the research I did on line, they seem to be very proud of them, though they do seem to need constant attention from the female of your species. Is your ailment tentacle related? I’m a intergalactic expert on tentacles!
No? Oooh! You must be here for the opening of my new hospital. Yes! Your capitalistic society means that I am able to make a living here on your backwater planet just by curing the sick! In fact, I have just been given a rather sizable loan to start up a hospital in your town!

Come then! Join me as I make most of my patients better!
Mortality rates will be less than 50% and you can’t ask better than that!

Welcome to Two Point Hospital.

TPH (as I’m going to call it from now on) is a spiritual successor to Theme Hospital, a much loved Bullfrog game I played the hell out of when I was younger.
The game is a humorous look at the world of medicine, where you treat over the top fictitious diseases, building more and more elaborate machines that do things like literally screw peoples diseased heads off and replace them with normal ones.

Underneath is a management game where, as normal, you have to manage staff levels, treatment speed and budget, as well as designing your hospital for maximum speed of treatment - something I will do poorly in at the start.

It should be said I’m going into this game nearly completely blind! I’ve been saving this for the LP, as I’m sure I have enough experience in these kinds of game not to burn my hospital down in the opening missions, while still being naive enough to the game to have some challenge.

Plus there is a good chance I’ll wall off 20 patients and leave them to die.
By accident.

Without further ado, let’s get to the video!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I never get tired of your thumbnails.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As mentioned in the YouTube comments, one of my fav games of recent years. I haven't beaten it yet, but I am getting there. Hopefully before you finish the campaign yourself!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Not sure where this doctopus got his MD... Because this is shoddy treatment for grout. Absolutely incorrect

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

I never get tired of your thumbnails.
Thanks! V3.5 (I had to redo the retopolgy) of the croctapus is near the end of modelling.

Slaan posted:

Not sure where this doctopus got his MD... Because this is shoddy treatment for grout. Absolutely incorrect

Neither am I....

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is great. Theme Hospital was also one of my favorite games when I was a kid, and Two Point Hospital is a worthy successor imho. I'm really looking forward to seeing you LP this.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Slaan posted:

You've made the classical mistake of assuming it to be a medical doctorate...

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ground floor.
I wonder what has changed from launch, from what I hear they had to unfuck the pathing AI pretty hard.
The game was really fun once I finally got how to properly manage the walnut-brain guests *long all-caps rant removed* and it definitely has so much raw Theme Hospital energy.

E: although a couple objectives I had to cheese pretty hard, I still have no clue how to get to 90% average staff happiness legit.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Omobono posted:

Ground floor.
I wonder what has changed from launch, from what I hear they had to unfuck the pathing AI pretty hard.
The game was really fun once I finally got how to properly manage the walnut-brain guests *long all-caps rant removed* and it definitely has so much raw Theme Hospital energy.

E: although a couple objectives I had to cheese pretty hard, I still have no clue how to get to 90% average staff happiness legit.

Raise their wages, create sweet rear end staff rooms, make sure there’s enough of them to get breaks.

What I have issues with is getting my cure rates up to 90%. And inevitably hitting an time period around two stars where I’m constantly financially circling the drain despite technically making a profit.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The staff happiness is not so difficult though you'll want to handle it as the last objective for three stars. You can cheese it, as you're likely implying you did, but hopeandjoy is right in how to handle it normally.

There's one particular hospital late in the main campaign that is rather difficult to pull off using the lessons learned from all the other hospitals. The number of patients available is very small making it hard to stay in the black while trying to do 2 and 3 stars. You have to play it differently than the rest, which would have been fine if the rest past the learning stages also required you to adopt different approaches.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Things are going well! minimal fatalities!

It's early missions yet, but I'll need to watch for the random death chance.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

A worthy sequel to a classic game. Free tip work out how many GP's office's you think you need then build twice that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Time to three star this death factory!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ferrosol posted:

A worthy sequel to a classic game. Free tip work out how many GP's office's you think you need then build twice that.

Nah, once I properly understood the guest AI and proper staff management I got away with surprisingly few* GPs, and that was before patches. I know a patch reduced the GP bottleneck issue, too.
Quality trumps quantity here, because (especially in some scenarios) patients won't stay around long.

*three to four in high-traffic areas and zero in the treatment and staff only wings. An average of two per wing

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'd probably go nuts playing this game, but it's morbidly entertaining to watch.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Are the different benches better in any way or are they just cosmetic?

Same with snacks vs salty snacks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

Are the different benches better in any way or are they just cosmetic?

Same with snacks vs salty snacks.

Some of the snacks and drinks have a different effect than others (increases thirst and makes consumers less tired). I never measured them exactly though. Similarly, some decor brings up the prestige of a room better if it is paired with dissimilar decor, or so I am told.

I don't know about benches though.

And the game is frantic fun, as long as you don't go overspending on rooms and staff early. There's no benefit to being prepared for an emergency down the line when you can just plop down rooms instantly.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My net gets fixed after four days! here we go again!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Someone said it was a good idea to no spend all your money at the start.

LETS DO THE OPPOSITE OF THAT! GREY HUNTER STYLE!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The Freddie Mercury animations are killing me. What an excellent, dumb detail.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Grey Hunter posted:

Someone said it was a good idea to no spend all your money at the start.

Yup. The massive thing is that the extremely specialized treatment rooms (de-lux, pan clinic etc.) cost an arm and a leg and most scenarios only have a subset of illnesses that can appear. Never build a specialized room until you have to.
By contrast, more general purpose rooms (pharmacy, ward, psychiatry etc.) are always in demand for something, and some also double-up as diagnosis rooms.

Anyways, welcome to training, what I consider the absolutely most important mechanic in the game and the prime difference with Theme Hospital. Later scenarios will implicitly require the player to exploit and abuse training to do anything.
I assume you'd like to discover poo poo on your own, but do you want some extremely generic advice on training?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sure. As long as it's spoiler free. Not that there is much of a plot!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Basics: everyone now needs training, not just doctors. Although to be honest, you can always throw more janitors at janitor problems, so I never bothered to plan an efficient plan for janitor training.
Nurses and doctors, though? Develop a plan and stick to it.

Unlike Theme Hospital, where experience was a gradual thing with doctors being declared consultant at the last fourth of their XP bar, there are 5 distinct tiers.
Each tier comes with a training slot, and you can't promote someone with empty slots. So for example a doctor (third tier) can't be promoted to consultant (4th tier) until you fill all three training slots.
Staff that can't promote because of this have their happiness crater, and they will request a rise or quit in protest.

Extremely generic advice: the game is surprisingly open on the numbers on staff effectiveness. Go check the baseline numbers for your student doctors (1st tier) vs senior consultants (5th tier), and then go check the numbers that the trainings give. Nurses work on the same baseline numbers as doctors.

Finally, ABT: Always Be Training. In later levels I had three to four training rooms working full time to keep up with staff promotions. Properly trained Senior Consultants and Chief Nurses are basically Dr. House.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Soooo many clowns!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I accidentally clicked away the box when the new disease was introduced and had no idea it was called Jest Infection until much later.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Things seem to be running smoothly - for now!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My hospital continues along nicely.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

You're catching up to me!... If only because I am dawdling and playing one of the maps for ages beyond 3 stars.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

evilmiera posted:

You're catching up to me!... If only because I am dawdling and playing one of the maps for ages beyond 3 stars.

Yeah, that's not how LP's work, I'll never top any one map, but I can get 3 stars and move on!

The latest hospital begins to expand.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I blame the research options, i won't feel happy until they're all at max! ...and I've made a hospital that doesn't kill as many patients.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The hospital has several flaws, but at this point I'm okay on focusing on hitting the goals. IIRC research carries over from facility to facility, so I don't have to worry to much about that lagging behind.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I expand rapidly to try and pull this hospital around, it's become a bit of a deathtrap!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pushing towards three stars.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Watching you build rooms while the game is unpaused causes me to cringe. It will save you time to deal with issues that arise, especially given that you can spend a couple minutes on each room, time that ticks away at the latest issue you're trying to resolve.

Please use the pause button more! Please!

(I've also put this game on my Steam Wishlist now, thanks!)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Making my own progress in the game right now. Found out that Arcade machines can hold up long lines of people who should be busy getting their diagnosis or treatment. So yet again, vidya gaems are to blame.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, I think we're getting a bit busy here now.

And yes, pausing to build would be a good idea.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ohhh, just went back and got three stars on the very hospital you just completed. My building habits were atrocious there for some reason. Still somehow managed to turn a profit, if only barely. Probably because teaching wasn't AS expensive as it normally can be.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right! off to the place where brittle bones are common!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I've found fracture wards a bit of a pain to properly build, mostly because the beds need to be against a wall.

You can put extra staff inside some rooms (like you tried with the fracture ward), but only some rooms allow it and I don't think it's as simple as drag and dropping. If you click on the room the room's stats and options come up, and if extra staff is allowed you can raise the limit.

There at the end you couldn't get the training room built because the game won't allow you to disconnect the various entrance doors of a building from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm not proud of how this one is going.....

Omobono posted:

I've found fracture wards a bit of a pain to properly build, mostly because the beds need to be against a wall.

You can put extra staff inside some rooms (like you tried with the fracture ward), but only some rooms allow it and I don't think it's as simple as drag and dropping. If you click on the room the room's stats and options come up, and if extra staff is allowed you can raise the limit.

There at the end you couldn't get the training room built because the game won't allow you to disconnect the various entrance doors of a building from each other.

Thanks for the tips!