Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Look, if they wanted us to cure their nausea they wouldn't act so nauseous in our hospital, now would they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Charlett posted:

I was actually wondering if that was a thing, I do remember kicking out everyone who ever threw up in my Theme Hospital game when there were any "vomit waves" going around, and for the low low price of like, 2% less reputation, suddenly everyone was fine! :v:

I remember doing that for epidemics - way more reliable than trying to vaccinate everybody.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Omobono posted:

If you're not above cheesing for that third star:

pause the game, go into the patient panel in the bottom left, and kick out EVERYONE (there's not a kick out everyone button to the best of my knowledge, you'll have to go down one patient at a time).

Then wait five to ten minutes and you should have your 90% cure rate.

That sounds less like cheese and more like "well if you weren't overloading me to the point of ridiculousness, game".

Cockmaster posted:

I remember doing that for epidemics - way more reliable than trying to vaccinate everybody.

I feel like there's a joke in here about life imitating art. :shepicide:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My first proper failure of a hospital!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'll be honest, I was screaming inside while you were considering passing up the GP3 Diagnosis1 doctor.
Just drop that guy into a GP room and go look at his stats. Then watch closely the diagnosis numbers while he processes two or three patients.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Omobono posted:

I'll be honest, I was screaming inside while you were considering passing up the GP3 Diagnosis1 doctor.
Just drop that guy into a GP room and go look at his stats. Then watch closely the diagnosis numbers while he processes two or three patients.

Yeah. I need to match skills to jobs more.

A job for the retry!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So there's looking to be new DLC coming out. Will you be giving that a spin in good time?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

berryjon posted:

So there's looking to be new DLC coming out. Will you be giving that a spin in good time?

I have none of the DLC, but I plan on giving them all a go!

Lets try this one again!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The continual battle to see if I've learned anything!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Here's hoping round two works out better!

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Want a hint? Never ever hire someone who has the personality traits of litterer or unhygienic.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BattyKiara posted:

Want a hint? Never ever hire someone who has the personality traits of litterer or unhygienic.

Can't you solve those by throwing more janitors and/or hand sanitizers at the hospital?

E:
Unrelated mechanics talk: room prestige. As you might have noticed, it goes from 1 to 5, representing how beautiful the room is; actual beauty not guaranteed of course.
Patients in an high prestige room get a moodlet restoring some happiness per day while they're being processed, and staff inside an high prestige room get a 5%/10% buff to their happiness (prestige 4/5).
Staff happiness can be important because really high happiness staff get a buff granting them up to 10% to everything, equivalent to a promotion, for as long as the happiness stays high. Also 90% average staff happiness goals are a thing.

Outside rooms I don't have a good grasp on the mechanics of prestige, though.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 18, 2020

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

must not go bankrupt. must not go bankrupt....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It's time to expand the treatments area, and start bringing in that big cash!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hmm, I think 3 stars is going to be tricky again!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I believe in you!

I'm not so sure about your patients and staff, but at least I believe in you.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

berryjon posted:

I believe in you!

I'm not so sure about your patients and staff, but at least I believe in you.

Thanks!
and It's the patients fault for being sick!

*I have a sore thought, no temp but my muscles ache, I've been self isolating for two days after my lad developed a fever. I may have the plague....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

90% cure rates are hard!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Thanks!
and It's the patients fault for being sick!

*I have a sore thought, no temp but my muscles ache, I've been self isolating for two days after my lad developed a fever. I may have the plague....

Perfect game to play when sick, isn't it?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah.

I feel kinda stupid in some respects. I have a mild sore throat and a few anches.
The main reason we're isolating is the lad had a feaver and a slight cough. Which anyone with kids can tell you is the base state for a three year old in winter.
Though it might be his ear infection coming back....

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think you're overlooking the training specialty (the icon is an academic hat) when choosing teachers. It will hasten training rates by 50% when teaching (also when learning but it's only on the student, not on the whole class).

Guest teachers have it by default by the way, so that's not a problem.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah. Good point!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

As you expand, you may want to build a second or even third reception area so that your patients don't have to walk all the way across the hospital and back each time they reach the next point of their curing.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

In which grey screws up....

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think this hospital is what made me actually understand the game.
The goals are an absolute priority, and sometimes an hyper-specific training goal pops up (example: train 4 janitors). So, the solution is two to three training rooms, with an extra spare for emergency training if a goal pops up that the current batch won't fulfill.

Turns out churning out highly trained staff ASAP is extremely effective. Who knew.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Grey with the searing commentary about the nature of publicly funded health systems

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

By the way, you can reject a funding goal, lie "90 days with no deaths" to make a totally random example.

Click on the red x on the upper right of the goal.

E: why would you do that? Because you have a maximum number of goals based on hospital level, and you get new ones only a few days after clearing some space.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Take two, now I know how this works!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This one is running smoother, I'm getting how to exploit the goals a bit more.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

A little thing: extinguishers are single use. If there's a fire you need to replace the one janitors used.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Oh yeah, that really screwed me up on a later map. Losing upgraded Megascanners, XRays, etc hurts a lot ...

I kept wondering why they weren't dousing the fires, when I had placed an extinguisher right there in the room. Once I finally figured out what was happening, I just started placing them everywhere in the hallways and in the rooms.

But like many things, it really pays off to only build stuff until you need them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I think you're treating this whole mission backwards. You don't earn a single dollar from any anything that isn't a mission goal so every room you set up that is irrelevant - like the animal control, the spare GP, the fluid injector? Every last one of them is a drain on your money. Ony build things when you need to and if you need to.

Patient happiness and long wait lines are irrelevant.

This level is designed to teach players patience when it comes to building their hospital, to take things slow and steady, to not over-expand and and over commit into a death spiral.

As a teaching level, I think this should have come earlier. As a challenge level, there's no warning for it and all the play habits developed so far need to be unlearned and kicked to the curb in order to 3-star this mission.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

berryjon posted:

I think you're treating this whole mission backwards. You don't earn a single dollar from any anything that isn't a mission goal so every room you set up that is irrelevant - like the animal control, the spare GP, the fluid injector? Every last one of them is a drain on your money. Ony build things when you need to and if you need to.

Patient happiness and long wait lines are irrelevant.

This level is designed to teach players patience when it comes to building their hospital, to take things slow and steady, to not over-expand and and over commit into a death spiral.

As a teaching level, I think this should have come earlier. As a challenge level, there's no warning for it and all the play habits developed so far need to be unlearned and kicked to the curb in order to 3-star this mission.

Uh, I took exactly the reverse lesson from this level: gotta go fast, because every fully processed patient is lifeblood (in normal levels). Drown in loans, get as much training done asap, expand the instant GP queues reach 3 or 4.

Although even then never drop a treatment room until a patient needs it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm not saying "Don't Train" - because that's vital -, I'm saying that there are a lot of rooms that are servicing patients but aren't actually helping. Train staff? Promote staff? Unclog toilets? Those are freebies to help you build up a reserve of cash to keep you going and to have in reserve for when you need to build those random rooms for the Public Health Service.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sorry, I may have been unclear.
I meant for normal levels set in the US for-profit healthcare hellzone.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You could do a Marketing Campaign to draw Mock Star patients in for that goal. And if you do it the next time a Marketing Campaign is your Public Goal, that's two problems with one action!