Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Press screen to choose
Wawa
Sheetz
I drink gasoline
View Results

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Two fast food delis with gas stations tacked on. Somehow Sheetz also bribed Harrisburg and now a few of them sell beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Wawa has better food and coffee, but anything that isn’t a sandwich, donut, or coffee sucks imo. Sheetz has more selection and the non sandwich stuff is decent, but slightly lower quality imo, especially on sandwiches and coffee (why I’m there 69% of the time). Sheetz does get major points for finding beer sale loopholes in the state of PA so residents can see how the other 49 states live.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I haven’t been to either but Zeldathon people swear by Sheetz so I gotta give it up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Two fast food delis with gas stations tacked on. Somehow Sheetz also bribed Harrisburg and now a few of them sell beer.

I'm in WV so we get Sheetz too. They're everywhere. And they've always sold beer.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Never been to sheets but Wawa is the reason I'd jump at any chance to go back to Philadelphia. All the other Philly food was between good and fine. Rolling into a Wawa and punching every button on the sandwich (hoagie?) kiosk was a delight every time.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm in WV so we get Sheetz too. They're everywhere. And they've always sold beer.

I think the trick was they convinced the PLCB that they are a deli (thus can sell six packs to go), but now they have to fight the municipalities for the same fixed amount of licenses. There's at least one Sheetz outside of Hershey now with a beer cave. I dunno why Wawa hasn't been more gung ho about it, but in other states they sell beer too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wawa is good, haven't been to Sheetz yet but I'll bet it's also good. I like Wawa's shakes as well as their sandwiches.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i dont live in a place serviced by any of these but i was told that sheetz tacos are as good as Jack in the Box tacos and I can confirm that theyre pretty drat close when i visited one to test this

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
theyre both OK dont know why people go nuts about them, they're nothing special just a step above most fast food places

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Actually gently caress 'em both. The right answer is QuikTrip.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

the no beer is a PA thing, where Sheetz is based out of. The liquor laws have always been very strict and outdated, and until recently you could only get 6 packs from bars, or cases from special beer case stores. Also no full kegs, or any grain alcohol.

Liquor and Wine is sold in a seperate store that is run by the state government, though more recently some grocery stores now carry beer and wine. Sheetz probably falls under that category now.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
wawa is the only thing i miss about living on the east coast

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

dsf posted:

theyre both OK dont know why people go nuts about them, they're nothing special just a step above most fast food places

Getting a step above fast food at a gas station is basically witchcraft in 95% of the country. I think that's the appeal.

Like even "nice" gas station stores in most places sell pure garbage, or at most semi drinkable coffee if you're lucky.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I’m a Wawa man myself

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

JakeP posted:

the no beer is a PA thing, where Sheetz is based out of. The liquor laws have always been very strict and outdated, and until recently you could only get 6 packs from bars, or cases from special beer case stores. Also no full kegs, or any grain alcohol.

Liquor and Wine is sold in a seperate store that is run by the state government, though more recently some grocery stores now carry beer and wine. Sheetz probably falls under that category now.

I'm very aware of PA alcohol laws :) I'm right on the PA border.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I spent 8 years doing a lot of driving up and down the east coast including a great deal of time in the Wawa and Sheetz compete directly shanghai-la that is southeastern Virginia.

Wawa has better:

Coffee, deli meat sandwiches, those bowls are p okay sometimes too I guess, PRETZEL, general grocery selection, Breakfast sandwich.

Sheetz has better:

Hot food, especially hot sandwiches like Steak sandwich or chicken tendies (my god are Wawa's so bad), blended/frozen fancy dumb coffee things.

Both are several tiers above nearly every other gas station/restaurant chain around, with a single extremely important and notable exception that I am going to make a god drat thread for because it requires the attention of this whole drat forum.

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design
ham pretzel melt from sheetz, but you transport 12 years into the past to get it. delicious.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

there are like 2 wawas that sell beer

and they are making all the local liquor stores mad as hell by doing lots of discounts on cans

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I grew up in Sheetz country but now Wawa moved into my part of FL and I dig it

If you get there at just the right time on a hungover Saturday morning you can get the Wawa triple play: hot side and a Sizzli breakfast sammich from the hot case by the register for brunch, and a cold-cut sub to put in the fridge for dinner

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wish Wawa had the roast turkey all year long. the mashed potato bowl with roast turket and gravy is delish (albeit expensive)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

About an hour south of Harrisburg, Sheetz started selling here too.

I'm pro Sheetz personally.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sheetz quesaritos are bomb, especially digging the breakfast ones with maple chicken sausage.

Does wawa have the insane emphasis on jokes, because damned near everything at sheetz is a pun or a joke. years ago we got a sheetz pizza and the inside of the box under the pizza said "We're open 24/7, like your mouth." Like, gently caress, savage. I just wanted to try the lovely pizza sheetz, I didn't want any sass.

Free coffee on christmas and new years is cool but it's a shame that people will go in and basically trash the area around the machines, just letting coffee spill all over the floor.

They used to have beer cheese but it was just a test item unfortunately, hoping the curly fries stick around though.

I like futzing around with the different flavors for trying to put together a good frozen mocha. they put out a new flavor for that poo poo recently, black raspberry, and I'm still trying to get a good flavor combo to make it good. wish there was a way to get some of those mixed in with the shakes.

I feel like something changed in the past year or so with the local sheetz frozen drinks. They mostly seem a lot more... liquidy, less thick. Occasionally I still end up with a thick frozen mocha but it's not the norm now which is a shame.

I miss the "buy 5 subs get a free sub" thing though. I know they got rid of it 'cause of people like my fiancee and I who would go in for that 6th free sub and just get everything on it and make it into a hell sub that some sheetz locations couldn't even actually make into a sandwich so they'd just shove it into a plastic container and bam, dinner for the next few days. A free hell sub that should have cost us like $20+.

I kinda love that Sheetz of all things has a loving wine section. Also, there was a short time where we had a sheetz being built across the street from a sheetz. The plan was to have the older sheetz moved but it was still funny when both were in operation, especially since there was another sheets just a short 3 minute drive up the road. We've got so many sheetz here in johnstown and it's kinda crazy because it feels like you can go pretty much anywhere here and find one. Super convenient.

At one point sheetz seemed to be trying to compete with surrounding businesses. When a Sweet Frog Frozen Yogurt moved into town, the closest sheetz started selling ice cream with their own topping bar for you to pick from. They seemed to try to compete with 5 Guys too in terms of burgers but they've always had burgers so that one isn't as blatant as "oh they sell froyo across the street? well now we sell ice cream and you can put little candies in it. gently caress you sweet frog, this is sheetz frog now."

There's no way to make this not sound sad but sheetz legit helped me make it through the day more than once back in 2012. I was homeless and they had that 3 for $1 hot dog deal and god drat if that poo poo didn't fill me up for the day. Cheap and decent food and they even accepted stamps so even though I didn't have a home, I could at least get a drink and find some change to get 3 hot dogs and it was just very nice to have access to that between trips to the library and hunts for a parking garage to squat in for the night.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 6, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Had a Sheetz for breakfast AMA

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

It's Wawa.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

Does wawa have the insane emphasis on jokes, because damned near everything at sheetz is a pun or a joke. years ago we got a sheetz pizza and the inside of the box under the pizza said "We're open 24/7, like your mouth." Like, gently caress, savage. I just wanted to try the lovely pizza sheetz, I didn't want any sass.

I'd say Wawa is straight laced, except when they did Hoagiefest in the style of Yellow Submarine, but that was just a splattering of psychedelia on top of everything. There's no substituting "z" on everything like Sheetz does. They also don't have seating in Wawa, which I'm not sure is that much of a drawback.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They also don't have seating in Wawa, which I'm not sure is that much of a drawback.

Downtown Philadelphia Wawa's had seats all along the windows which was the nicest place to sit, enjoy a heavily cheesed hoagie and watch the nighttime city go by.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
On a nice warm sunny day there are few great joys that match sitting on the hood of my car in a Wawa parking lot, halfway through a road trip to somewhere, hoagie in hand, watching the cars come and go as I enjoy my lunch.

But in lovely grey windy freezing January, I am so loving glad that I can just sit down in a cramped booth in the corner of Sheetz and scarf down my lovely gas station lunch in relative warmth before going on my way.

In short, Pennsylvania is a land of contrasts.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Wawa is superior, but I’ve not had hot sandwiches at sheetz and they’re just ok at wawa. They started putting out phyllo dough pastries that are pretty good.

2 dollar smoothies in the summer are the best.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I spent 8 years doing a lot of driving up and down the east coast including a great deal of time in the Wawa and Sheetz compete directly shanghai-la that is southeastern Virginia.

Wawa has better:

Coffee, deli meat sandwiches, those bowls are p okay sometimes too I guess, PRETZEL, general grocery selection, Breakfast sandwich.

Sheetz has better:

Hot food, especially hot sandwiches like Steak sandwich or chicken tendies (my god are Wawa's so bad), blended/frozen fancy dumb coffee things.

Both are several tiers above nearly every other gas station/restaurant chain around, with a single extremely important and notable exception that I am going to make a god drat thread for because it requires the attention of this whole drat forum.

I realized in my comparison that I failed to credit Wawa for the Gobbler, which is a god tier seasonal sandwich and worth calling out in it's own right.

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019

indigi posted:

I wish Wawa had the roast turkey all year long. the mashed potato bowl with roast turket and gravy is delish (albeit expensive)

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
the gobbler is so goddamn good

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

They also don't have seating in Wawa, which I'm not sure is that much of a drawback.
The ones in Florida have outdoor covered seating, and I’ve never seen it empty.

I like their pretzels, and they’re awfully big for $1.49.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The ones in Florida have outdoor covered seating, and I’ve never seen it empty.

I like their pretzels, and they’re awfully big for $1.49.

They’re great. Y’gotta buy two of the half pretzels (they’re 79 cents individually, but 2 for 1.49, same as the whole one), to save the second for later more easily

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If Wawa had the tater tot selection of sheetz, sheetz could go right in the dumpster!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

20 years ago I'd have taken Wawa any day. Even back before that, they used to cut the meat right there at the deli. They've expanded the menu too much and quality has really suffered. The nail in the coffin was when they went to those "store baked" rolls. I'll still get the Pork Roll, Egg, and Cheese Bagel.

I've only been to Sheetz once and it was fine.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.nj.com/food/2020/02/wawa-has-burgers-now-and-they-are-beyond-awful.html

Wawa is dipping their toe in burgers and chicken sandwiches. It's not impressive.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the only people that make this argument are the same wrong people that think sheetz is anywhere in the same stratosphere as wawa.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm digging motorized WAWA and it's workers. They seem like nice people. Oh! And the coffee is hot!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wawa’s food quality is all over the place, but ordereing a Gobbler was sometimes the only reason I left my apartment in the winter. I don’t miss a single living soul from Philly but holy poo poo do I miss WaWa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wawa in the streets
Java in the Sheetz