Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you want a plant based diet without it tasting lame (meaning it's probably just as unhealthy as regular fast food)

Veggie Grill
OK, it's fast casual, so it takes a bit, but give me some room to work with here. I never thought a vegan restaurant could spread across the US. Right now they're in California, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, and Massachusetts, and now Manhattan.
I like a lot of their stuff although not all of it. It's pretty pricey too. I wish trying to go to a veggie restaurant didn't mean Non-GMO / organic poo poo. Give me all of the chemicals and RoundUp, and save me some money, please!

Anyways my personal favorite are the tempura green beans. The ranch is actually good. I like the far east bowl with the green curry. There was a Korean taco they had before but they change the menu seasonally. It actually was quite spicy. The Santa Fe chicken sandwich isn't bad, if a bit boring. Sometimes the other tacos are good too. They have Beyond stuff now which I haven't really tried.

I don't like their Buffalo sauce they use on "wings" and the bomber sandwich. It's tangy, not spicy, and just isn't good IMO.

Loving Hut
This one's a little different as it's worldwide and each one is different and has a local menu. I've been to them in 3 countries over 3 continents and liked them all as I recall.
The weird thing is they all have the TV of some lady that calls herself the "Supreme Master". I just looked and her website is "godsdirectcontact.org"!

I've seen the TV station at other vegan restaurants too. Hopefully I'm not funding the next mega-Hitler or something.

Anyways they're all over the world now so try it out and see if you like it some time.

Honorable mention (not fast food)
if you're ever in Oakland, California go to Souley Vegan. Vegan soul food...it's awesome, and 95% as likely to kill you as regular soul food, probably.

My favorite places are mostly one location and probably use some illegal Taiwanese wheat gluten to make fake duck and weird meats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youre
Dec 30, 2019

Charles posted:

If you want a plant based diet without it tasting lame (meaning it's probably just as unhealthy as regular fast food)

Veggie Grill
OK, it's fast casual, so it takes a bit, but give me some room to work with here. I never thought a vegan restaurant could spread across the US. Right now they're in California, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, and Massachusetts, and now Manhattan.
I like a lot of their stuff although not all of it. It's pretty pricey too. I wish trying to go to a veggie restaurant didn't mean Non-GMO / organic poo poo. Give me all of the chemicals and RoundUp, and save me some money, please!

Anyways my personal favorite are the tempura green beans. The ranch is actually good. I like the far east bowl with the green curry. There was a Korean taco they had before but they change the menu seasonally. It actually was quite spicy. The Santa Fe chicken sandwich isn't bad, if a bit boring. Sometimes the other tacos are good too. They have Beyond stuff now which I haven't really tried.

I don't like their Buffalo sauce they use on "wings" and the bomber sandwich. It's tangy, not spicy, and just isn't good IMO.

Loving Hut
This one's a little different as it's worldwide and each one is different and has a local menu. I've been to them in 3 countries over 3 continents and liked them all as I recall.
The weird thing is they all have the TV of some lady that calls herself the "Supreme Master". I just looked and her website is "godsdirectcontact.org"!

I've seen the TV station at other vegan restaurants too. Hopefully I'm not funding the next mega-Hitler or something.

Anyways they're all over the world now so try it out and see if you like it some time.

if you're ever in Oakland, California go to Souley Vegan. Vegan soul food...it's awesome, and 95% as likely to kill you as regular soul food, probably.

My favorite places are mostly one location and probably use some illegal Taiwanese wheat gluten to make fake duck and weird meats.

my boyfriend takes me to those places all the time, and its soooo good

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Charles posted:

Also nearby in Berkeley is The Butcher's Son, which is some really good vegan sandwiches with a pretty wide variety of tasty fakemeats. Don't go there if you're in a hurry though because they pretty much always have a line out the door.

I'm salty about the Veggie Grill because I got something there that turned out to be recognizably just a microwaved frozen thing I could buy at Whole Foods, and not even sufficiently microwaved, it was still ice-cold in the middle, and also it wasn't even a good thing, it was some sort of cutlets-and-gravy or something that comes with a sachet of not enough gravy, and also the gravy is bad so in that sense it's actually too much gravy. But their not-fish tacos are pretty good, and their nachos are good and plentiful.

I went to a place in Florida recently that I think was actually just a rebranded Loving Hut that hid most of the culty undertones, with in-laws who were grudgingly going there in a nice acknowledgment of how I usually tolerate the places they want to go where there's only one bad thing I can eat. They said it was so surprisingly good they might actually go there again even without me being there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Tried the Veggie Grill carne asada tacos tonight. Not great. Really salty and maybe just a tiny bit spicy, and just kind of burnt tasting. Bummer. They were out of the churro desert thing too.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Is there anything you particularly recommend from Souley Vegan? Nothing jumped out at me from their menu.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

roomforthetuna posted:

Is there anything you particularly recommend from Souley Vegan? Nothing jumped out at me from their menu.

Oh I haven't been there in like 10 years. I just remember really liking it.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Oakland has the dankest vegetarian food. I miss Nature vegetarian so much. Millennium isn’t fast food but it was the fanciest and best vegetarian meal I’ve ever had. Also cool detail about Souley Vegan, it’s in the oldest building in Oakland dating back to the gold rush. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Oakland-location-makes-history-along-with-dinner-5368556.php

Probably more on topic as for chains, I’m having a hard time thinking of many. Amy’s has a fast food drive through location in the north Bay Area towards Santa Rosa but I think that’s their only location. I’ve tried Veggie Grill up in Portland and it was ok but I think they used vanilla soy milk to make the Mac and cheese sauce one time. It was weird.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Amy's actually opened a location in the airport now.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Amy's like that company that makes the surprisingly good vegetarian (vegan?) lasagna I used to eat all the time?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Resting Lich Face posted:

Amy's like that company that makes the surprisingly good vegetarian (vegan?) lasagna I used to eat all the time?

The very same

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Obviously the chain isn't vegan but Taco Bell has some pretty good vegan stuff, at least assuming you're down with the general Taco Bell taste (which I very much am). And it's not a million dollars which is great because if I'm going to eat some lovely chain food I'd at least like it to cost a reasonable amount. I usually go for a very boring bean burrito.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’ve eaten at loving hut dozens of times and I still have no idea what all the supreme master stuff is about. Food is good though and they do a surprisingly good job at imitating certain meat dishes.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

I’ve eaten at loving hut dozens of times and I still have no idea what all the supreme master stuff is about

It’s a sort of syncretic, new age mix of Buddhism and Taoism. They have a twist on the five Buddhist precepts and emphasize meditation which is a common theme of these sort of neo-Buddhist movements in developing/formally colonized nations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i'm surprised mcdonald's hasn't introduced anything vegan friendly (at least in the states), surely with their experience with processed foodstuffs they could whip up something edible without meat or dairy in it. i've skipped them more than a few times just because there were no vegan options for the other person to eat.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Rinkles posted:

i'm surprised mcdonald's hasn't introduced anything vegan friendly (at least in the states), surely with their experience with processed foodstuffs they could whip up something edible without meat or dairy in it. i've skipped them more than a few times just because there were no vegan options for the other person to eat.

AFAIK they’re testing beyond burgers in a Canadian market which they recently expanded. They have a lot of stores though so provisioning for all of them is a task that Beyond might not be up to yet, they may not currently have the capacity for that kind of demand. Impossible pulled out of talks about a month back for similar reasons.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

I tried the "Big Vegan TS" at McDonalds in Berlin when I was there this summer. I don't think it was good. I don't remember exactly what I thought. Fortunately Berlin is vegan & vegetarian haven!!! It's very clearly marked there and I was so happy after trying to figure stuff out in France & Belgium.

Also check out the Veggie Menu megathread too!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913425

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rinkles posted:

Burger King has the Impossible burger, and it's vegan if you leave off one of the sauces I think. Tastes like a burger.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Burger King has the Impossible burger, and it's vegan if you leave off one of the sauces I think. Tastes like a burger.
Burger King's french toast sticks are (or were at least) also vegan, though not deliberately at all they just happen to be that way because they're made of plastic or whatever lol.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What happened to the tempura green beans at Veggie Grill? A covid related loss or what?

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Souley and Vegan Mob are good. Bye

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Souley and Vegan Mob are good. Bye

Čau

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

As a non vegan I kinda love Lord of the Fries. I can't stand imitation meat, but their chips (classic, chunky steakhouse, shoestring or sweet potato all good) and onion rings are easily at the top for their price range. Get a box of those and some spicy relish and that's a solid unhealthy lunch.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
veggie grill used to have really good fries and now they are kind of lame

thoughts???

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've only got the sweet potato fries. Not sure. I'm not a big fries guy. I'm still angry they don't have the tempura green beans. I get that cauliflower is all the rage now, but...

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Blew my mind that Loving Hut is a worldwide chain. I've eaten at one three times and the food was excellent.

It being run by a cult rules too

What the gently caress so this is an option

Grevling fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
CAVA Grill is a California, East Coast, & Texas thing, with some nice Vegan options.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."

-- The Daily Telegraph (1877)