Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psion posted:

she offered you all the money and doesn't want it herself, honestly I'm surprised Jek hasn't proposed already

You know that's a pretty good argument. I bet jek eats her shields because he like likes her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I think we LIKE her. As in we REALLY like her.

She wants us to have all the money and she helps us get it. What's not to like?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I say we LIKE her. But I think it is still a bit early to say we, like, LIKE her. No need to stop flirting tho, it fits the smuggler's stereotype to flirt with everything on two legs.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

While the Risha vote continues, I have another choice to present the thread. As experienced players know, the best part of this game and the true endgame is playing space dress-up. Up until now, Alora has been dressing in a manner similar to Master Orgus, because she’s a teacher’s pet. But now that she’s off on her own she has the opportunity to express herself a bit more. So, I need the thread to choose a theme.

NOTE: You are voting for a theme, of which the picture is just an example. There will be many variations depending on what I have access to in the game. Also, your choice here may or may not have some effect on Alora’s personality and how she approaches future situations.

Your choices are:

A: Brown robes

“Simple, traditional, goes with everything.”

B: Armored robes

“Because you never know when someone’s going to take a shot at you!”

C: Be a bit risque

“Let’s just say the belief that all Jedi take vows of celibacy is … erroneous.”

D: Don’t dress like a Force user at all

“That Jek guy had the right idea.”

E: Say “gently caress it” and just start dressing like a Sith

“Wait, what?”

This decision is not permanent for the rest of the game and will be revisited at a later point, perhaps with some different options! Choose wisely.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I'd say choose depending on what planet you're going to.

Nar Shadda is the C planet, it is basically going to Space Vegas.

But as your regular outfit? Go for an Armored version of D, but if you meet up with higher ups switch up to a B for appearances sake.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ah, the beautiful ship The Millennium Hawk. Err, no, the Ebon Falcon. The... uh, err... Bronze Condor? Eh?

I say Jek likes Risha but no need to get smoochy. And let's go with B for clothes. She likes fightin', might as well wear fightin' clothes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ah, the beautiful ship The Millennium Hawk. Err, no, the Ebon Falcon. The... uh, err... Bronze Condor? Eh?

TOR at least provides an explanation for this: all three ships were built by the same megacorp to explain the similar aesthetic, likewise the Jedi ship is built by the same megacorp responsible in the EU for the Corellian Corvette ("blockade runner") from the movies. Only the Agent ship, which doesn't look much like anything from the movies, isn't fluffed as being built by the same company that built a recognizable ship from the movies.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's fine being inspired, of course. You're making material that's supposed to take place in the same universe, it should invoke the "actual" ships to some extent! I just think it's bad world building. The Millennium Falcon is infamously a piece of junk. Primary plot points in the films are dedicated to how much of a broken barely held together bucket of bolts it is. This fits, because despite several decades of fandom worship and Harrison Ford's very handsome face would leave you to believe otherwise, Han Solo is a joke. He doesn't know what he's doing. He's bad at everything. It's funny!

Meanwhile, Jek's ship has routinely been described as a fine ship, a beauty, etc. Jek has been showcased being a very competent person. The ship he's so obsessed with should not be that.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

She B ready for battle

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Armored robes is a good aesthetic, go with B.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
: We've returned, General.
: And we even...*BLEH!*

: WHY IS IT SPRAYING MY FACE?!? STUPID DROID!

: ...

: ..Ah, the hero of the hour! You've done well.

: Thank you, ma'am.
: Jek Kardan walked right up to the senate tower and surrendered himself in broad daylight. The guards were terrified, and several senators even ran out of the building. It was hilarious. Still, Kardan's help will give us an edge on Tavus. Speaking for myself at least, I'm glad you could change his mind.
: Jedi dodge repercussions when they go bad; glad we can do something for someone who actually deserves it for a change.
: Quite right. More important for now, the Justicar computers gave us four locations: our techs are working to pinpoint them now. There can be no doubt the messages will lead us to the other traitors; thanks to your efforts, we'll be able to bring them to justice very soon.
: And my orders until then?
: There is no "until," we've found one already: Wraith.

: You remember Senator Krasul, I trust? Wraith kidnapped him from his home just afterward. We've tracked them to a remote space station called Port Raga.
: And her demands?
: None.
: ..so a trap.

: ..one of our teams is already enroute. They'll investigate the situation and give you a detailed report on arrival. You've accomplished some amazing things, but this is "do or die" now: make Wraith regret her betrayal.
: And transport?
: ...only the finest.

----

: ..it's a shoebox.
: It has...personality.

: Hey! Most Republic soldiers can only DREAM of shooting guns that big! Besides, that thing is a flying budget nightmare! Be happy!
: ..it's a giant shoebox!

: ..a shoebox with engines meant for fighting in atmo. You don't need that much control over thrust in space unless you're being really stupid in an asteroid field.

: See? He gets it!

: Screw it, let's go have a look.

: hmm..decent living space, at least.
: With lockers that come with factory fresh smut!
: Yeah, can I-
: Nope. Union Rules state that the smut must remain, unless replaced by other smut.

: Wow. Insane.

: At least the coms and comps are state-of-the-art.

: And a movie theater!
: That's a briefing room, Dasher.
: WAS a briefing room.
: I'm pretty sure that's considered mis-appropriation.
: When was the last time we had a briefing in an actual room, instead of the nearest Com, Jorgan?
: ..right, movie theater it is then. But there's only one movie I want to see.

: Yeah...Tavus begging for mercy.

: drat right. We're coming for you, Wraith.

-----
??????????
-----

: I must say, Tavus, I was rather expecting better.
: We did you what you wanted.
: ..But lost quite the potential asset.
: Maybe you should have given him an actual reason to fight, then. He was never going to be impressed with being told to overthrow the senate with a bunch of rookies.
: That was hardly the idea, but the point is taken. You may leave.
: ..before that, I had enough of being kept in the dark in the Republic.
: Are you seriously asking me to trust you? Do I LOOK like a Jedi to you, Tavus?
: I can't do my job if I have no idea what I'm doing.
: This is hardly your job...but fine, I'll humor you. The Force is...shifting. The measurements taken at the temple provide clues as to why.
: The Force is shifting? What does that even mean?
: To you? Absolutely nothing. Be thankful for that, I would have to kill you if it did.
: Try it, I'm not some..!
: I am aware, Tavus. I respect you, really; you're a survivor, and that counts more than you know. Yet, the Empire is strong exactly *because* nothing and no one is above being expendable. Not the council, or Kilran, or even the Emperor...should he find a worthy apprentice. Certainly not you.
: ..I'll take my leave, then.
: I'll be contacting you again soon, so be sure to pick up!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

god the BT-7 is such a piece of poo poo compared to the other ships.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I kind of like it. It's clearly a B-wing ripoff just like all the other ships are a ripoff of something from the movies, but at least the interior is unique and looks exactly like what it is supposed to be: an all-purpose transport for a special forces unit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Moon Slayer posted:

E: Say “gently caress it” and just start dressing like a Sith

“Wait, what?”

Wearing a trophy taken from the enemy when the boss isnt looking seems extremely in character.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

god the BT-7 is such a piece of poo poo compared to the other ships.

But do they have a movie theater?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Moon Slayer posted:

I kind of like it. It's clearly a B-wing ripoff just like all the other ships are a ripoff of something from the movies, but at least the interior is unique and looks exactly like what it is supposed to be: an all-purpose transport for a special forces unit.

It could be worse! Behold!

The Resistance Transport, in all its lovely glory! Disney had dozens of really cool concept are ships from the artwork to choose from, and THIS is the original ship they signed off on. Seriously, even the description just looks sad: "It has a heavy laser cannon, and an armored cockpit, and...and...a door. And...seats. And...umm...did I mention the door?"

Disney looked at this:

..and was like, "why would we want a ship that looks both like an update of an original design AND something new? No, take that...thing from The Old Republic, strip it down, and put it in. THAT'S the kind of toy kids want to buy: giant shoe boxes with laser cannons."

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 1, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ah, wings that fold out for no reason because spaceships in this universe are capable of vertical takeoff. Classic Star Wars. Also a hunk of junk fits a special ops soldier, don't want any unnecessary attention!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Folding wings is good, sure, but folding wings and rotating things is even better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NELo74udR7A

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

If you're watching that clip and going "huh, that seems like it's an homage to The Rocketeer," it is, because the person who originally designed the B-wing went on to direct The Rocketeer.

Rebels has a few deep cuts like that, one of the reasons it's my #1 favorite piece of Star Wars media.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 13: New Intelligence

quote:

The Sith DARTH ANGRAL has sworn revenge on the Republic for the death of his son, Lord Tarnis, at the hands of the Jedi Knight Alora Stari.

Knowing Angral plans to unleash stolen Republic prototype weapons against defenseless worlds, Alora travels to ORD MANTELL to follow a lead.

Accompanied by T7, Alora must search the war-torn planet for information on Darth Angral’s location before millions of innocents perish …

: So. Ground rules? Master Kiwiiks let me do whatever, long as I wasn’t in her way.
: Do what I do and you’ll be fine.
: We make it up as we go? Nifty. Question two: what’s my job on the ship? Hate standing around, makes me antsy.
: It’s a big ship. There’s plenty of work. Do what comes naturally.
: Reprogram the computer to call me “master?” Done.
: Too late, I already beat you to it.
: Drat. Well, let’s go save the galaxy. Oh yeah, I think the droid was looking for you.

: Is there something you need to tell me?
: T7 = likes helping Jedi // T7 = happiest in 100 years
: How old are you?
: T7 = built 150 years ago // T7 = originally standard factory specs // T7 = many upgrades over the years // Most droids = regular memory wipes // T7 = never full memory wipe // T7 = remembers all partners
: So just how many partners have you had?

: T7 = 12 other partners // T7 + doctor // T7 + mechanic // T7 + senator’s aide // T7 + others // T7 = worked with Jedi Master Zallow decades ago // Master Zallow = died during Sacking of Coruscant // Jedi Master Zallow = killed by Darth Malgus in Jedi Temple
: It’s always hard to lose someone

: Master Zallow = good friend // T7 = misses him // Darth Malgus = bad man // T7 = hopes somebody stops him
: If you’re looking for a hero, look no further.
: Jedi + T7 = heros saving the galaxy // Jedi + T7 = no time to find him // Galaxy = needs T7 + Jedi // T7 = ready for next mission

: I’ve arrived at Ord Mantell.
: Perfect timing. I’ve just finished coordinating things with my man on the ground there. SIS Agent Ottau followed the enemy transmissions to a specific location planetside. He’ll give you the full details. Your T7 unit can interface with Darth Angral’s hyperspace data transceiver and download his communications. Take the droid with you.
: T7 = oiled + charged + ready for action!

: Hmph. Guess I’ll be playing dejarik against myself while you have all the fun.
: We’re ready to go, general.
: Take a shuttle to the surface and meet Agent Ottau. Good hunting. Var Suthra out.

: I’ve visited my share of seedy spaceports, but this one’s the seediest. Just as well I’m staying behind. I’ll make sure nobody steals our landing thrusters.
: Check out the spaceport while we’re gone. If this place is as bad as you say, Darth Angral might have a presence here.
: Wouldn’t surprise me. I’ll poke around and see what’s what. Have fun down there.

: Agent Ottau, Republic SIS. Welcome to Ord Mantell. Hope you enjoy war zones, master Jedi. This planet’s full of them.
: What’s this all about?
: Long story short, there’s a civil war between Republic loyalists and a separatist movement bent on Ord Mantell’s independence. That’s the official story. The unofficial one is that the separatists are funded and supplied by the Empire.
: Sounds like things are headed in a dark direction.
: Only reason we’re not fighting the EMpire now is because they won’t commit their own forces. They’d rather throw separatists at us.

: Open war will be a refreshing change of pace, honestly.
: Personally, I prefer life in the shadows. It lasts longer. General Var Suthra had me send a probe droid to the hyperspace data transceiver’s location. I learned two things. First, it’s on an island. Second, they don’t like visitors there. My probe droid wound up disintegrated. Make sure that doesn’t happen to you, eh?
: No one can stand up against me.
: Must be nice. Is your little droid plaster proof, too?
: T7 = small + hard to hit + tricky
: When you find the hyperspace data transceiver, plug in your T7 unit and download everything you can from its logs. WIth any luck, we’ll learn what Darth Angral’s been up to. Be seeing you.

: Definitely some kind of installation. Let’s go knock on the front door.

: You in charge here?

: Name: Marcovic. Rank: Lieutenant. That’s all you’re getting out of me, Jedi scum.
: Oh? If you won’t be useful, why should I keep you alive?
: Get spaced. I’m proud to die for the Empire.
: Your big talk is wasted on me.
: You may as well kill me now. You’ll never hold me prisoner.

: Hey, what’s that droid doing? Get away from there!
: Hyperspace data transceiver = operational // T7 = scanning transmission logs
: …
: T7 = found Planet Prison designs + Tarnis communications to Darth Angral // T7 = located design files code-named “Desolator” // Darth Angral = creating world-killer weapon using Republic technology
: Well, that’s not good.
: You won’t live long enough to tell anyone!

: Blarg! *dies*
: Whatever.
: Name: Marcovic + Rank: Lieutenant = nonfunctional
: One less Imperial to worry about.
: Jedi = harsh + fair // Desolator files = downloaded // T7 electromagnetic pulse + hyperspace data transceiver = permanent file erasure // Jedi + T7 = return to ship // General Var Suthra = needs report

: Back already? That was quick.
: It was surprisingly simple, really.
: Guess it helped being a Jedi instead of a probe droid. At least the Empire has one less hidey-hole. I’ll put together a team, see if we can secure that island for our side. You should report to General Var Suthra. Be seeing you.

: Man, real-life Jedi missions sure do involve a lot of transit.
: T7 = not fond of travelling in overhead luggage rack again

: Well, if nothing else, this first outing on our own went pretty well.

: Oh what.

: So your master was here all along. Well played, padawan. Your lies convinced even Darth Angral.

: Put that lightsaber down and step away from my padawan.
: Spare me your pathetic demands. I hold the power here, not you. Imperial Intelligence noticed this girl wandering the station and alerted my master. Darth Angral came from twenty parsecs away for a personal interrogation. Unfortunately we were led to believe you weren’t here.

: Told them you were on Corellia. Suckers.
: No matter. We have you now. Surrender, unless you want your padawan to die.
: He’s lying. He can’t kill me. Angral’s orders.

: Why does Angral want you alive?
: Don’t worry about me. Get rid of Lord Pompous here.
: Release my padawan. It’s your only way out of this.

: I’ll never understand what drives you Jedi to throw away your lives. You do realize you’re vastly outnumbered? Not to mention outmatched. You risk certain death to free this girl. Why? Some misguided sense of duty.
: Outnumbered? Sure. Outmatched? Hardly. Also, she’s my padawan -- and I’ll punish anyone who threatens her.
: My, aren’t you the interesting one. Pity you have to die. When I present Darth Angral with your head, he’ll be most appreciative.

: Don’t take this the wrong way, but I’ve never been happier to see anyone my whole life.

: I’m glad you’re safe, but I need to know what this was all about.
: Not much to tell. One second I’m watching smugglers haggle over spice, next thing I know the Sith have me. Angral wanted to know everything about you. Threatened to kill me if I didn’t answer all his questions.
: You look pretty good for someone tortured by a Sith.
: We never got to the actual torture part. He was sending me to Dromund Kaas for that.
: You obviously didn’t tell him anything useful.

: What kind of Jedi do you think I am? Angral left with an Imperial admiral to refit a battlecruiser. Sounds like they have some new weapon.
: T7 = scanned Tarnis + Angral design schematics // Desolator world-killer weapon = attaches to battlecruiser.
: “Desolator?” We should warn the general about this right away.

: T7 = transmitting files now
: Looks like Tarnis was combining all your weapon projects to create something codenamed “Desolator.” We believe Angral’s arming his battlecruiser with it.
: Then it’s no coincidence I’ve lost contact with Agent Galen. The enemy is raiding our weapon research facilities to build that device.
: What planet was Agent Galen assigned to?

: Nar Shaddaa. It’s Hutt territory, neutral, but the EMpire has a strong presence there. We can’t let Darth Angral complete this Desolator weapon, whatever it is. I need your help stopping him. Securing Nar Shaddaa is vital, but there’s another target just as important on Taris.
: You have another superweapon on Taris you didn’t tell us about?
: I’d rather not say more until you’re there.

: How can I make an informed choice without more information?
: Too many security breaches here. I won’t risk the enemy finding out about this.
: What about Master Orgus and Kiwiiks? Have they checked in?
: They went comm-silent after leaving Coruscant. They’re due to check in soon. When you reach Taris or Nar Shaddaa, contact me. And good luck.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Why bother building a weapon if it's not going to be super? Have you seen Star Wars blasters? So boring! Just a rectangle with some bips and bops on it! Doesn't ignite the soul!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Why bother building a weapon if it's not going to be super? Have you seen Star Wars blasters? So boring! Just a rectangle with some bips and bops on it! Doesn't ignite the soul!

Han Solo's quote on Sith/Imperial superweapons always kind of summed it up for me. When somebody said the Empire would have done better with the threat in question, his remarks were "They'd have made some grand superweapon called the Nova Colossus or Galaxy Destroyer or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose, spent billions of credits to put the latest in death dealing tech on it, and then forget to bolt down some panel or some other screwup and the thing gets blown up. That's what the Empire would have done". This game indicates a long tradition of it among Sith (I seem to recall even the Sith Inquisitor class quest had them dabble in making one for themselves that winds up becoming useless shortly thereafter).

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

Han Solo's quote on Sith/Imperial superweapons always kind of summed it up for me. When somebody said the Empire would have done better with the threat in question, his remarks were "They'd have made some grand superweapon called the Nova Colossus or Galaxy Destroyer or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose, spent billions of credits to put the latest in death dealing tech on it, and then forget to bolt down some panel or some other screwup and the thing gets blown up. That's what the Empire would have done". This game indicates a long tradition of it among Sith (I seem to recall even the Sith Inquisitor class quest had them dabble in making one for themselves that winds up becoming useless shortly thereafter).

actually I think their superweapon was not a single ship, but the blueprint. apparently the supercanon was installed on many ships, and even used on the eternal fleet, although onl yon the beggining of the war.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 12: Beryl’s Bargain

quote:

The daring Captain Jek Tambo is on a galaxy-spanning journey to find the fabled missing riches of long-dead crime lord Nok Drayen, but the notorious thief Skavak will stop at nothing to get them first.

The abandoned planet Taris holds one of the keys to Nok Drayen’s fantastic wealth, but the hostile world is a death trap of toxic swamps, dangerous ruins, and ravenous beasts.

The smuggler must forge new alliances on Taris to have any hope of surviving its many pitfalls and beating Skavak to the vault …

: Boy, captain, life with you is almost enough to get me missing the good old days. Ah, for Ord Mantell; where separatists were bad and guns were good, and we could just run in shooting.
: Are you drunk?
: Just tipsy. Found your minibar. Just like you found your closet! I could still bullseye an Imperial soldier at a thousand paces. Why don’t we have more fun on this ship? Back home when we needed a laugh we used to run the rontos in circles, then see if they could charge us without falling over.
: Come on, Corso, you’ve only been on this ship for a day and we’re landing in an hour.
: So how’d you end up out here, captain? Was there ever a time you wanted something more … normal? A family? A steady job somewhere you didn’t need a blaster in-hand?

: I’ve got my freedom, my ship, and my gun. What more is there?
: I’ve just been thinking about a guy I met in the brigade. Mercenary. He’d been fighting for the Republic for twenty years. I was sixteen, fresh off the ship. This guy gave me my first blaster.
: What kind of moron gives a blaster to some kid on a community service project?
: It was a war zone. I was the crazy one , going unarmed. I was just squeamish. I mean, sure, I’d handled a hunting rifle, but never anything aimed at people.
: Oh good, you’re a maudlin drunk.
: This guy told me, “gun’s just a tool. You use it to destroy, or you use it to protect against those who would destroy you.”

: Guess you didn’t figure that one out on your own?
: So it’s not exactly astrophysics, but it made sense to me. You can’t protect anything if you’re afraid to be out there shooting. I brought Torchy home and my parents made me lock her up. Told me not to “wish away peace.” I didn’t have her when the separatists came …
: Hey, here’s a distraction. You want to talk about guns, look what I found!

: Now that’s a nice unit! Look at the size of it!
: Phrasing!
: Yeah, Skavak emptied out most of my armory but he didn’t find my backup backup blaster. And luckily he stayed out of my closet. Speaking of which, you should probably find something a bit more appropriate for a ruined cityscape. And get some caff in you.
: Wait. Wait! Didn’t we recover the ruby thingy that Miel was looking for? Why can’t we just turn that in and be rich?
: Yeah, about that …

: Geez, costume changes all around, I guess. We’re on final approach.
: Ah, Taris. Did you know you’ve just landed on the biggest graveyard in the galaxy? There’s not much to enjoy here besides skeletons, ruins, and man-eating creatures.
: It’s the perfect romantic getaway.
: Don’t flatter yourself, flyboy -- and for the record, I prefer my cities intact.
: Well, as long as there’s a cantina, I’m happy.
: Are all your inoculations up to date? I doubt the watering holes here rate more than a “one” in Trampeta’s Star Guide.
: So what’s this place’s deal, anyway?

: Taris was “The Coruscant of the Outer Rim” until some lunatic leveled it centuries ago. Now it’s a toxic swamp. We’re here for an astrogation chart that was in a vault when Taris fell. That vault’s somewhere in these ruins.
: What do we need with some musty old astrogation chart?
: I worry about the “why” and you take care of the “how.” That’s our deal, remember? Our lost vault was designed to be recovered after a major catastrophe. All we need are the right sensors to locate it. The catch is, the only person I know with access to those sensors is someone who hates me.
: I sense a good story.
: Let’s just say she and I have a history … which I might tell you when I know you better. I made our contact an irresistible offer. One of the deal’s terms is that she doesn’t have to see me. I need you to get that vault’s location, captain. Impress the stars out of her.
: People always tell me how impressive I am.

: That must be a terrible burden for you. I should also warn you, Skavak knows about the vault. We can’t let him catch up.
: I’m curious how you know what Skavak’s up to.
: He wasted a lot of breath trying to impress me into his bunk. It never worked, but I learned a lot about his plans. The astrogation chart in that vault is essential to finding Nok Drayen’s riches, captain. Your contact’s name is Beryl Thorne. When Beryl gives you the vault's location, come back and see me. Oh, and try not to let anything eat you.

: Uh-oh, it’s The Man. Be cool.
: I’m Agent Soganti with the Republic Customs Office. What brings you to my planet, captain?
: Last time I checked, Taris was public territory.

: When you have as many responsibilities as I do, you develop a sense of ownership about a planet. There’s a lot of contraband making its way around Taris. If you see anything suspicious, I suggest you report it immediately.
: Why so much illegal activity here? Asking for a friend.
: That’s right, you have “sold citizen” written all over you. Lots of nice things are still buried in the ruins of Taris. This planet is one big party for grave robbers and scavengers. I take special interest in every new arrival to my planet, captain. Keep your nose clean, and we won’t have any trouble. Clear?

: Do you give this speech to everyone?
: Just the ones I think need to hear it. Enjoy your visit to Taris.

: Hmm. That guy could be a problem. Usually it takes local authorities a few days to start watching me closely.
: Welcome to Taris. I’m Governor Saresh. On behalf of the Galactic Republic, I want to thank you for joining us in this historic project. For your safety, please do not travel beyond the military secured safe zone outside the settlement. This world and our work here will shine as a beacon of hope to all of the Republic. But first, we have many obstacles to overcome. Together, we stand taller than any obstacle. Let’s get to work -- together.

: Ugh! You smell that, captain? Taris is like a dead gundark wearing dirty old socks. Doesn’t look much better, either.
: Very evocative. Come on, Beryl rents a warehouse not too far from the spaceport. In and out. No distractions.

: Hello?

: Argo, you’re leaking oil again. You wanna set this whole warehouse on fire?
: The Maker said it is better to burn out than rust away. Perhaps I’m testing that wisdom, mistress.

: I’m looking for Beryl Thorne.
: That’s me. AR-G0’s what passes for my second-in-command. I recognize you from Risha’s holo. Let’s get one thing straight. The only reason I agreed to help is because my contract supplying the Taris reclamation project is at risk. Looked like easy credits. Turns out, Taris is anything but easy, and there are lots of interesting ways to die.

: If I don’t finish my contract, I don’t get paid. Tyrodall -- my partner -- died on a supply run. Put me in a real bind.
: Well, the planet can throw whatever it wants at me -- I can take it.
: I’ll find that vault, but I have to finish my contract to do it. You work for me and I’ll work for you. Deal?
: I wasn’t aware this was a negotiation.
: You can always wander around and hope you bump into the vault by accident.
: Touche.
: I only have two deliveries left. Soon as you handle them, we’ll find your vault. Your first job’s for a Republic scientist named Vernan. He’s got a research camp in rakghoul territory.
: What-ghoul territory? Can’t your walking rust bucket handle things?

: Not a chance. The scavengers would be on Argo like gundarks on fresh meat.
: :sigh: What exactly am I delivering?
: Some kind of sensor equipment. Don’t know what it’s for. I’ll start working on your job while you handle mine. Isn’t cooperation grand?

: Hello again, captain. I didn’t know you and Thorne were acquainted.
: Agent Soganti and the twins, what a lovely surprise. It’s only been a day since your last inquisition -- I mean, inspection. Don’t you Republic Customs boys have better things to do than turn my warehouse upside-down again?

: I can inspect this warehouse whenever I want. It’s the law.

: Take Doctor Vernan’s delivery, captain. There’s no reason for you to stick around.
: What kind of man would I be if I left you alone with this guy?
: A smart man. I can take care of myself -- but thanks.
: Okay. Have fun with Agent Fancypants.

: You’re a regular comedian. Maybe I’ll find a reason to keep you around, so you can make me laugh all the time.
: Poke around the warehouse all you want, agent. You won’t find anything out of order.
: Ehhh … what did I just step in, Thorne?
: My apologies, sir. I believe that is my hydraulic fluid …

: I’m not so sure about this, captain. This planet seems kinda … death-trappy.
: Doc! How’s Jessop? He okay?
: Your friend suffered from a rakghoul bite.
: Just a bite. So he got off easy?
: He was infected with the rakghoul plague. He was turning into one of them, so I spared him the misery.
: I think I’m gonna be sick.
: There, there. We’ll find you a grief counselor.
: Okay, that is not helping.
: Oh come on, these places always get a reputation that’s worse than it actually is. I’m sure Taris isn’t that bad.

[Narrator: But it totally was.]

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

One of the things I really liked about TOR was how the Imperials and Republic shared planets, but not necessarily at the same time (in both narrative and character progression sense). I thought it was a bit of a let-down that those areas are mostly segregated, but oh well.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Taris really suffers from Star Wars's "one location = entire planet" problem. In KOTOR, the city (while large) was but a small part of the planet. You're telling me the Tarisians themselves haven't cleaned up in the centuries since?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Taris really suffers from Star Wars's "one location = entire planet" problem. In KOTOR, the city (while large) was but a small part of the planet. You're telling me the Tarisians themselves haven't cleaned up in the centuries since?

Uhhhhhh

Kotor explicitly stated, in text, that Taris was a Coruscant style ecumenopolis. When Malak bombed the city, he bombed, y'know, the whole thing.

AKA: what Tarisians?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah, Taris was a city-world, similar to Coruscant. Which of course raises lots of other questions, such as why anyone bothers to develop planet-killing weapons when Malak was able to render an entire planet uninhabitable for hundreds of years with just one Star Destroyer equivalent.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Moon Slayer posted:

Which of course raises lots of other questions, such as why anyone bothers to develop planet-killing weapons when Malak was able to render an entire planet uninhabitable for hundreds of years with just one Star Destroyer equivalent.

Because grant money doesn't grow on trees without something to ooh and awe the committee.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv3AiaRcsPc

That doesn't look like the whole planet to me.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv3AiaRcsPc

That doesn't look like the whole planet to me.

Well they state multiple times that he destroyed the whole planet in KOTOR, including Juhani, who was from Taris and blames you for the entire planet's destruction. And they also state that the whole planet is one big city multiple times. This wouldn't be the first time that a cutscene doesn't quite line up with what is supposed to happen in lore in a video game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Cutscene shows one ship shooting one part of the planet, text implied it was an entire fleet bombarding the entire planet. I blame the budget!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

By sheer coincidence I just recorded the next Knight update and there's dialogue that addresses this. In addition, here's the relevant in-game codex entry:

quote:

During the Jedi Civil War, a ship carrying Bastila Shan–a Jedi with the rare and powerful battle meditation ability–was shot down by Darth Malak’s fleet over the world of Taris. Malak’s troops descended on the world in search of Bastila, but she avoided capture with the help of Revan, Malak’s redeemed former master. Rather than permit Bastila to escape, Malak ordered his fleet to bomb Taris from orbit, devastating the entire world. The planet-wide capital city was razed and civilian casualties measured in the billions. Despite Malak’s extreme efforts, Bastila and Revan were able to safely flee the world. Taris itself, however, never recovered. Three centuries have passed, and a handful of swamp-sunken ruins are all that remains of this once great civilization.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Psion posted:

Cutscene shows one ship shooting one part of the planet, text implied it was an entire fleet bombarding the entire planet. I blame the budget!

Earlier cut scenes involved "get the fleet into position" so presumably it was more than the one flagship opening up.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

"great" Civilization my rear end, it was racist central.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i mean so is the USA but they still call themselves that

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"War does not make one great, mmMHrmrhmrmm" - Yoda, on the USA

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
---

: Alright, go time. Strap in, Jurgen, we're going to Hyperspace.

+++WARNING, EMERGENCY TRANSMIT RECEIVED. DROID BRAIN OVERIDE. DIVERTING LOCATION+++
: Uh...

: Jurgen? Might want to get up here. Fast.
: What happened?
: I...

+++PRIORITY ALERT; PROTECT REPUBLIC SHUTTLE FROM ONCOMING SITH FORCES+++

: What? No! Our ship doesn't even have half the equipment it needs for space combat! Abort!

+++CREW COWARDICE DETECTED. ORDER 28 NOW IN EFFECT. COURSE IS NOW LOCKED.+++

: WHAT?!?
: What the hell did you *DO,* Garza?!?

: I'll get on the guns, you try to get control of the ship back!
: I'll do what I can, just keep the shuttle alive!

: There's too many for the guns to take out!
: Then use the missiles!
: We have missiles?!?
: Oh for-

: Yes, we have...GAH!

: They sent *another* one?!? How many of these things do they *have* around here!

: Just keep shooting!

: Almost clear!
: Incoming!

: OH COME ON! THREE TERMS?!?
: Nope!

: SIX?!? WHAT SITH LORD'S SISTER DID THESE GUYS gently caress?!?

: Screw the Senate, the Sith are bringing a war here! Guess you can't spell peace treaty without Yeat Ace!
: Uh..Yeat Ace?

: It means YEAT MORE LASER, IMPs!

+++CAPITAL SHIP DETECTED. DIVERTING COURSE+++

: Finally! Almost there, Dasher!

: poo poo, the shuttle's on fire!
: It doesn't matter, they just need to get inside the hanger!

+++SHUTTLE DOCKED. OVERRIDE DISABLED. ENGAGING HYPERDRIVE+++

: Finally! Stupid Droid Brain!

+++ARRIVING AT RAGNA PORT+++

: This isn't over, Droid Brain!

+++gently caress YOU TOO, BUDDY+++

: ..Wait, wha-

+++WHOOPS, SECRET DOCKING PROCEDURE ENGAGED! BETTER MOVE IN BEFORE THEY LEARN YOU'RE HERE AND STAGE AN AMBUSH!+++

: We are going to have WORDS when this is over, Droid Brain.

+++BITE ME+++

: This is...what...I don't...what?
: rear end in gear, Jurgen, we've got a Senator to save.
: Uh...right.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hm, I never thought of that before. Lightspeed, hyperspace. You "jump" to both, but I guess you use lightspeed to get to hyperspace. But isn't hyperspace just what it looks like when you're going lightspeed? Can you be stationary in hyperspace? I think there's an episode of Farscape about this, but that was wormholes...

uh
Good job shooting those ships down!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

in starwars, at least in the legends EU, Hyperspace was more a different dimension in which the rules of physics took a break and a beer and let the kids do their own poo poo for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Hm, I never thought of that before. Lightspeed, hyperspace. You "jump" to both, but I guess you use lightspeed to get to hyperspace. But isn't hyperspace just what it looks like when you're going lightspeed? Can you be stationary in hyperspace? I think there's an episode of Farscape about this, but that was wormholes...

Lightspeed is just slang for entering Hyperspace; it's apparently not actually necessary, because Rebels had Space Whales make the transition despite being on a planet at the time. As the Space Whales would undergo Nuclear Fusion if they moved at even a fraction of the speed of light in atmosphere, they presumably just hopped right into Hyperspace. It's just as well, since something that big moving anywhere near lightspeed would reduce the planet to plasma, causing such system-wide violence that Tarkin would forever be depressed that something WAY more hardcore than the Death Star ever existed.