Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What exactly hyperspace is and how it works have been left pretty vague, I'm guessing intentionally so that it can serve the plot. That's why, even in the nu-canon, you've got wildly divergent things. Hyperlanes, hyperspace beacons/navigational buoys, ships/space whales jumping from inside a planet's atmosphere, Interdictors pulling ships from hyperspace, etc. I don't even think it's been established how fast hyperspace even is, but it's probably faster than just the speed of light because it doesn't take them years just to go between systems. But even then, did the Falcon go from Tatooine to where Alderaan used to be in an afternoon? A day? A week? Some ships seem to be faster in hyperspace than others, but by how much? Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"How does hyperspace work?"
"Just fine, thanks."

This should be the only answer. Trying to define everything down to the nth degree with comprehensive specifications was a mistake in the old EU. Establish some general guides and leave it at that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psion posted:

"Just fine, thanks."

This should be the only answer. Trying to define everything down to the nth degree with comprehensive specifications was a mistake in the old EU. Establish some general guides and leave it at that.

Alt:
"It works on the Falcon?"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Absolutely! Star Wars is science fantasy, not science fiction. "Because it's WW2 in space" is always the real answer. I just like to think about these things anyway! I enjoy thinking about the logistics of a fictional setting.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Actually, now that I've made that joke...
It's amazing how many star wars games dont have a version of the "oh god we need to run away but the ship is a broken bucket of bolts!" scenes that were all over the movies. There's the end of peragus in kotor 2, and that's really all I can think of.

For how much stuff loves the falcon, it surr hates goofy getaways in rust buckets.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

People don't like to admit how goofy Star Wars is.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

FoolyCharged posted:

Actually, now that I've made that joke...
It's amazing how many star wars games dont have a version of the "oh god we need to run away but the ship is a broken bucket of bolts!" scenes that were all over the movies. There's the end of peragus in kotor 2, and that's really all I can think of.

For how much stuff loves the falcon, it surr hates goofy getaways in rust buckets.

And even the end of Peragus was less "the ship's a piece of junk" and more "the ship recently got its poo poo kicked in and we don't know how fixed it actually is, also we're in an asteroid field made of rocket fuel so jumping is suicide"

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Ablative posted:

And even the end of Peragus was less "the ship's a piece of junk" and more "the ship recently got its poo poo kicked in and we don't know how fixed it actually is, also we're in an asteroid field made of rocket fuel so jumping is suicide"

potato, peragus

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 14: The Architect of Annihilation

quote:

The Sith DARTH ANGRAL has sworn revenge on the Republic for the death of his son, Lord Tarnis, at the hands of the Jedi Knight Alora Stari.

After successfully infiltrating one of Darth Angral’s bases on ORD MANTELL, Alora has discovered the Sith Lord’s plans to construct a mysterious superweapon known as THE DESOLATOR.

On General Var Suthra’s advice, Alora is sent to the devastated world of TARIS to follow a lead on the superweapon’s origin …

: General, I’m on Taris. You seemed worried about this place after Ord Mantell. What’s the big mystery you wouldn’t reveal?
: I apologize for the secrecy, but this involves someone the Empire would love to get its hands on. Angral’s son, Tarnis, was the lead scientist on our advanced warfare projects. But these technologies were all invented by Doctor Nasan Godera. Doctor Godera’s a genius. Calculates targeting algorithms in his head for fun.

: If he’s so special, why wasn’t he leading things instead of Tarnis?
: Doctor Godera hates the Empire. So much so, he quit in protest when the Republic signed the Treaty of Coruscant. Disappeared completely.
: Since I’m on Taris, I assume he must be too.
: Correct. But the situation is … complicated. We recently discovered he’s hiding on Taris, but the swamps, predators, and city ruins are keeping us from finding him.
: What did he hope to accomplish by disappearing?

: I look forward to asking him that, myself. The Republic is recolonizing Taris. Recently we found evidence that our missing doctor has been here for years. Reconnaissance discovered one of Godera’s outposts in the swamp. It’s entirely automated. Nothing but droids inside, and they’re not cooperating.
: How do you know this outpost doesn’t belong to someone else?
: The droids kept demanding Godera’s passwords from us. They work for him. I’ve had people scouring Taris for other outposts. The survivors returned empty-handed.
: ”The survivors?” Well, that’s less than encouraging.
: After what you learned on Ord Mantell, we need that man’s expertise. You’re our best shot at finding Doctor Godera.
: I’m hoping I won’t have to do this alone.
: I don’t have many personnel on Taris -- anymore -- but what’s there is yours. I left a small team monitoring the outpost. They’ll aid your search. Transmitting outpost coordinates. Good luck -- Var Suthra out.

: So this is what a dead city looks like. Feels like we’re standing on an open grave. What happened here?
: Your masters never taught you about the Jedi Civil War?
: Eh, maybe.
: Three hundred years ago, there was a conflict between two fallen Jedi named Revan and Malak. Malak obliterated Taris hoping to kill Reven. Billions of innocent people died.
: Whoa. What sort of weapon did Malak have that could destroy this world?
: They didn’t have planetary shields back then. A fleet of battle cruisers leveled the city towers from orbit.
: Good times. So, you know where we’re going?
: Yep, we’re going to rendezvous with Var Suthra’s team out at the outpost. See if maybe we can get more information from that place than them. Go rent us a speeder, would you?

: Those things don’t look too friendly!

[Rakghouls, as you might remember from Knights of the Old Republic 1, are mutated creatures that lived in the Taris undercity. Like zombies, a bite or scratch from them would cause a person to transform practically instantly. They preyed on the exiles who were thrown into the undercity and generally ignored by the planet’s elite. In the old EU, which TOR is very much a part of, it was later established that they were created by an ancient Sith as biological weapons. There was a whole comics crossover series about it and everything.]

: Don’t worry about them, they can’t catch a speeder!

: Oh goody, they come in extra large, too!
: Just keep driving!

[In game, of course, you can get up in all the rakghoul faces you want without worrying about contracting the disease (outside of a very specific in-game event which we may or may not cover at some point).]

: This is Godera’s outpost, but I don’t see any Republic forces around.
: That’s probably not good. What do you think happened?

: Did you just see …
: Ambush!

: Imperials, here?
: Very not good.

: Well, I guess we know what happened to General Var Suthra’s team …
: Someone’s going to pay for this.

: That’s enough bloodshed. Let’s be professional about this. I’m Watcher One with Imperial Intelligence. Those men you fought served me.

: Your agents slaughtered Republic citizens. That’s an act of war.
: On the contrary, it was self-preservation. Despite what General Var Suthra believes, I’ve known about this outpost for some time. Your imminent arrival forced me to take action. My mission is to protect the Empire from Doctor Godera’s weapons. I’m afraid I can’t let you have him.
: Don’t insult my intelligence. The Empire only wants to destroy the Republic.

: Believe what you will. Imperial Intelligence prides itself on accurate threat assessment. I’ve known you were coming: analyzed your strengths and weaknesses in preparation. You defeated the fallen Jedi, Bengel Morr, to become a knight. You’re an exemplar of your order.
: Either this guy reads minds, or he’s got spies on Tython.
: He could’ve acquired this information from any number of sources.
: The point is, I have it.
: He’s trying to get under our skin. Make us paranoid.
: Your mental state is immaterial to the situation. As fortune would have it, Doctor Godera will be in my custody shortly. You’ve already failed.

: The Force is with me. I’ll find Doctor Godera -- and you. That’s a promise.
: Watchers aren’t easily caught. I see my reinforcements are finally in position.

: Aw crap.
: Terminate her.

: Hey, we’ve got a droid here.

: Blasted Imps. Death is too good for them. Thank you for liberating this facility. Good riddance to Imp scum.
: Wish my Teeseven had a personality like you.
: Teeseven units lack the subroutines to properly appreciate Imp destruction. My designation is RE-M0. Doctor Godera assigned me to this facility. Primary function: enemy surveillance. The facility was compromised when Republic cowards arrived on Taris and again by these Imp scum.
: Your maker is in danger. Can you tell me where he is?
: My programming forbids cooperation with non-Godera life forms, except under extreme circumstances. That criteria is now met. Watcher One reprogrammed this facility’s tracking relays. He traced Doctor Godera’s encrypted bioscan to its present location.

: How could Watcher One do all that when we couldn’t?
: Imperial Intelligence is well funded and highly motivated. Filthy Imps … Locating my maker requires repairing the central computer and resetting outdoor tracking relays. I am only equipped for computer repairs. I will provide you with the tracking relays’ coordinates, but be advised: the outdoors are dangerous.

: Anything in my way dies. Get to work fixing that central computer.
: Jedi were never included in Doctor Godera’s “Republic coward” designation. Now I comprehend why. Commencing computer repairs. Contact me when all tracking relays are reset. Then we can triangulate Doctor Godera’s location. If you encounter any Imp scum, please annihilate them. How you handle Republic cowards is your discretion. Good luck, Jedi.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If I am remembering correctly, a hyperdrive punches a hole into a dimension then creates a tunnel around it. That dimension is laid on top of the normal one and is affected by certain forces like gravity around celestial bodies. That's what an Interdictor Cruiser does, it simulates a gravity well of a planet. So basically a wormhole with the danger of smashing into poo poo.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The positioning of that droid's shoulders makes me think it is missing a head, but I understand it's got a facetorso thing going on. Interesting design.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If I am remembering correctly, a hyperdrive punches a hole into a dimension then creates a tunnel around it. That dimension is laid on top of the normal one and is affected by certain forces like gravity around celestial bodies. That's what an Interdictor Cruiser does, it simulates a gravity well of a planet. So basically a wormhole with the danger of smashing into poo poo.

Oh god, the whole wretched question of how gravity wells interact with hyperdrive jumps was kinda-settled in old EU, and then new-canon trampled right over those solutions with in-atmo jumps so who even knows by now.

Loving this LP, by the way! I lurked through much of the old SW:TOR LP, and I'll be reading with interest.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 13: Early Warning

quote:

The daring Captain Jek Tambo is on a galaxy-spanning journey to find the fabled missing riches of long-dead crime lord Nok Drayen, but the notorious thief Skavak will stop at nothing to get them first.

The abandoned planet Taris holds one of the keys to Nok Drayen’s fantastic wealth, but the hostile world is a death trap of toxic swamps, dangerous ruins, and ravenous beasts.

Jek has teamed up with BERYL THORNE to track down the buried vault, but must first risk life and limb delivering vital supplies to the world’s embattled settlers …

Codex posted:

Although located on the Outer Rim, Taris was once a cosmopolitan cityscape said to rival Coruscant. But this shining light was snuffed out three hundred years ago by Darth Malak, who ordered his Sith fleet to bomb the planet into oblivion. In the aftermath of the attack, little remained but ruins and putrid swamps overrun by rakghouls.

Recently, the Republic has begun efforts to recolonize and restore Taris in the belief it will demonstrate a resolve and ability to overcome the destruction wrought by the Sith. Should this lost world be salvaged, it would become a symbol of hope for all those who stand against the oppression of the Empire.

The focus to date has been on cleanup, salvage, and clearing sites for new colonies. Progress has been slow, and the morale of those stationed on the world is rumored to be dangerously low. But the Galactic Senate refuses to admit defeat, truly exemplifying the politicians’ can-do spirit.

: “Dear Adali, I regret that your husband was killed yesterday by rakghouls. Please accept my condolences. Doctor Soylon was an excellent scientist.”

: I’ve never composed a death notice before. How did that sound?
: Why the blazes are you asking me?
: I need an honest opinion, and all my colleagues are deceased.
: Uh, well,, the “Dear Adali” part was pretty good.
: I thought a personal touch was warranted, under the circumstances. Ah! I recognize the symbols on that container! My bio-alarms have finally arrived. Good, good. If only this had arrived in time to save my associates. Not your fault, certainly. We knew the risk of studying rakghouls.

: How have you managed to survive by yourself?
: I do seem to have beaten the odds. Perhaps there’s something about me these creatures don’t like. The pursuit of knowledge is never without risk. And the greater the risk, the greater the enlightenment. My colleagues and I were studying the rakghouls’ behavior hoping to find a means of containing them. We can’t afford to let the rakghouls impede our progress. The Republic’s rebuilding efforts on Taris are paramount to future prosperity.
: All right, I gotta hand it to you. You’re pretty fearless for a scientist.

: Fear obstructs understanding. Besides, my prospects for survival have just improved. I’ve isolated an identifying element in the rakghouls’ physiology, making it possible to detect and track their movements. The bio-alarms you brought will reveal how the creatures hunt. However, installing them will be a challenge with all my assistants dead.

: Don’t look at me. I’m done here.
: But these bio-alarms are useless until they’re installed! I have many credits to spare, and I do desperately need your help.
: “Big brain” here wouldn’t last ten meters outside this camp. Besides, we can always use credits.
: FINE. I’ll install your whatsits -- but I’m not going to enjoy it.

: Don’t be so sure. Taris can be quite lovely in the afternoon.
: Don’t push it, doc. What have we got to do?
: Place a bio-alarm at each survey station we’ve established, and I’ll see you’re amply rewarded.

: If I get killed, I’m gonna be so mad …
: The path of knowledge is fraught with peril, but we must tread it nevertheless. Come back when you’re done, and we’ll celebrate your success. Normally I’d ask for your next of kin’s holofrequency, but I’d rather maintain some optimism.
: Uhhh …
: Good luck!

: Ugh, can’t believe I got roped into this.
: Hey cap’n, don’t worry, maybe it won’t be so bad!

BUT

IT

TOTALLY

WAS

[Welcome to the staple of base-game TOR quests. You need to do x on this planet, but to do it you need help from y, and y needs you to do z before they’ll help you. Z is almost always either interacting with objects scattered around the map or killing a certain number and/or type of enemies in an area. Repeat several times for additional content. Going forward, especially on later planets, I’ll probably start cutting out some of these interstitial steps that don’t directly advance the story.]

: Splendid work! I’m already receiving data transmissions from the bio-alarms. You’ve done the Republic’s rebuilding effort a tremendous favor.
: All I need now is my fee.
: Oh, come now. Take a moment and give yourself a pat on the back before you dash off with your money.

: Seriously, dude. Credits. Now. Please.
: All right, all right. What you’ve done most definitely calls for generous compensation. Good show!
: Best of luck to you.
: Soon, we’ll know how to contain the rakghouls. From there, eradication of these beasts will quickly follow. I’ll begin collating my data. Thank you again for everything.

: Hey captain, how are things out there?
: Beautiful scenery, great weather, man-eating creatures trying to kill me … you should be here.
: That’s the problem with running your own business. You always miss the good times. I finally located the other supplies you need to deliver. They were lost then Tyrodall got killed by the rakghouls. A Republic patrol found the supplies with Tyrodall’s remains. Dropped everything off at an outpost near the lake.
: Lake? Is there swimming?

: Only if you enjoy bathing in acid. All you have to do is swing by the outpost, grab the supplies, and take them to an engineer named Ovold. Ovold will give you some planetary core samples to bring back to me. Got it?
: What do you need with planetary core samples?
: I have to transport them to Coruscant as part of my contract. It’s a science thing. Grad the supplies from the outpost, get them to Ovold, and return to me with his core samples. Good luck.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hmm.. rebuilding Taris in order to inspire the galaxy that the Empire ain't no thang. Isn't that the Telos storyline?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Hmm.. rebuilding Taris in order to inspire the galaxy that the Empire ain't no thang. Isn't that the Telos storyline?

Nah, Telos is more of a "this is the big poster child on putting ruined worlds back together and if it goes to poo poo as bad as it looks it will everyone will be too demoralized to try again for some time" thing.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I mean, it does share a lot of similarities. It's a "too big to fail" attempt by the Republic to reclaim a planet that was bombarded during the Jedi Civil War. With Telos they were attempting to recreate an ecosystem, but with Taris they seem to just be dumping people on the planet and hoping for the best. Also with Taris the Republic seems a lot further along on the sunk cost fallacy already.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I will say that last paragraph in the codex was great

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's a matter of timing. Telos Restoration was started right after that atrocity went down. It's been centuries since Taris! Whole lotta sitting around.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's a matter of timing. Telos Restoration was started right after that atrocity went down. It's been centuries since Taris! Whole lotta sitting around.

They had to wait until they were sure all the Tarisians were dead.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

wiegieman posted:

They had to wait until they were sure all the Tarisians were dead.

Ah, fair. Wouldn't want things to be misconstrued as a rescue mission. In that same vein, what have the rakghouls been eating?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ah, fair. Wouldn't want things to be misconstrued as a rescue mission. In that same vein, what have the rakghouls been eating?

Pond scum and each other, most likely.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

They've built an elaborate culinary tradition. A recent fad for home made pizza and their resulting need for brick fire ovens in their backyards has lead to brick raids on the republic research teams sent to the planet.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The massive burst in bricklaying requires a massive amount of sand to make the cement! Tatooine's time to shine, baby!!!

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Moon Slayer posted:

I mean, it does share a lot of similarities. It's a "too big to fail" attempt by the Republic to reclaim a planet that was bombarded during the Jedi Civil War. With Telos they were attempting to recreate an ecosystem, but with Taris they seem to just be dumping people on the planet and hoping for the best. Also with Taris the Republic seems a lot further along on the sunk cost fallacy already.

And you find a bitter superweapons designer with a hate-on for the sith at both.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 15: Catching Up With Watcher One

quote:

The Sith DARTH ANGRAL has sworn revenge on the Republic for the death of his son, Lord Tarnis, at the hands of the Jedi Knight Alora Stari.

After successfully infiltrating one of Darth Angral’s bases on ORD MANTELL, Alora has discovered the Sith Lord’s plans to construct a mysterious superweapon known as THE DESOLATOR.

Now, Alora and Kira search the devastated world of TARIS for the founder of the Republic’s superweapon projects, DOCTOR GODERA. But WATCHER ONE of Imperial Intelligence is also hunting him …

[Like I said in the last Smuggler update, a whole bunch of missions are just “go activate these three or four things on the map.”]

[This is where we also start to run into the inescapable fact that Taris is a pain in the rear end to navigate. The place is sectioned off by walls and the minimap is practically useless at showing where you can get through and where you can’t. Either way, heading straight to your destination is almost always impossible. Plus a lot of the areas that you can get through are areas with mobs of enemies in the middle of the road. Remember, at launch you wouldn’t have a speeder at this point so fighting your way through was the only option. Taris isn’t the worst planet in the game to navigate (I’m sure there’s debate as to which one is, but that will have to wait because spoilers) but it’s up there.]

: Hey, look at that. Is that a ship?
: Looks like.

Codex posted:

The Republic cruiser Endar Spire was shot down over Taris during the Jedi Civil War in an attempt by Darth Malak to capture the young Jedi Bastila Shan. This event led directly to Taris’ ultimate destruction, securing the ship’s place in history.

Over the centuries, the Endar Spire’s husk has become a shelter to many different groups on Taris, including surviving settlers, pirates, and scavengers. Its internal systems are believed to contain a bounty of information and useful materials to anyone with the will and ability to recover them.

[Yes, somehow the ship you started on in Knights of the Old Republic survived atmospheric reentry, crashing on the surface (probably after going through several buildings first), and an orbital bombardment.]

: I finished resetting all the tracking relays. Is that central computer online?
: Affirmative. Triangulating Doctor Godera’s coordinates now.
: …
: This facility has outlived its usefulness, and my programming provides no secondary mission. I am uncertain how to proceed. Serving Republic cowards is unacceptable, but I am not armed to combat Imp scum. Recommendations?

: Don’t go anywhere until I find Doctor Godera.
: A prudent course of action. Perhaps I can monitor Imp scum from here. Triangulation complete. Transmitting the coordinates to you now. Hurry, Jedi. My maker is too good for those Imp scum.

: Finally. Doctor Godera’s main lab.
: Hopefully convincing him to come with us won’t be too difficult.

: A Jedi! We’re saved! Please, you must help. Imperials shot my friend. They want Doctor Godera. They’re everywhere!
: Offfffff course.

: I’m here to save the doctor. Where will I find him?
: He’s barricaded himself in the main lab. He can’t hold out much longer. You’re the only one who can help. Hurry!
: How do you know Doctor Godera?
: We came with him to Taris, years ago. Helped him build these outposts. They left us for dead. They only want the doctor.
: Alright, keep out of sight and protect your friend.

: I will, thank you.

: This is … quite the secret lab. How did he manage all of this on a ruined world with just a few workers?
: Don’t know, don’t care. There’s Imperials to get through.

: Stand down, Jedi. I’m afraid we both lose this contest. Doctor Godera killed himself rather than be captured. It’s a tragic loss.
: You backed him into a corner. What did you expect?

: I assured him he wouldn’t be harmed, but his hatred of the Empire was beyond reason.
: Your goal was to kill him.
: He was far more valuable to us alive. Oh well. We are prepared to leave Taris without further violence. Full cessation of hostilities. Do you accept?

: What? You’ve committed crimes against the Republic. I’m taking you in.
: You know I can’t allow that. Be reasonable.
: I’m many things, but “reasonable” is not near the top of the list.
: Yeah! Wait …
: Unlike the men at the outpost, we’re trained to fight Jedi. Don’t underestimate us.

: Wait, Jedi! These filthy Imps are lying to you. My maker is not dead.
: Thought we destroyed that irritating machine …
: Never knew those things could actually run.
: I ran a second triangulation on my maker’s bioscan ...

: Now you both have to die.

: Critical damage … circuits failing … Transmitting my maker’s new coordinates to you now. Save him. Do not let my functions end in vain …
: You served well. I’ll take it from here.
: Filthy Imps … kill them all. Blarg! *dies*

: Hello again. Your ability to survive is impressive, to say the least.

: Not my finest performance, but serviceable.
: Oh I am definitely going to lightsaber you for that one.
: Do not fear. Doctor Godera is unharmed. I painlessly rendered him unconscious and gently carried him to safety.

: I can’t say the same for your assassins.
: Their loss is regrettable, but they understood what’s at stake. We could continue this chase forever, but what a waste of resources. I suggest a compromise. Give me time to administer truth serum to Doctor Godera. Once he reveals his secrets, he’s yours. We’ll both have what we want.
: You’ve already deceived me twice. I’d be a fool to give you another chance.
: My deceptions have failed to produce the desired result. Now, I’m telling the truth. I will purchase time for interrogating Doctor Godera by offering you something of great personal interest.
: I want to end your existence. Is that part of the deal?

: Not as such, but you’ll find my counteroffer more than fair. A Sith assassin is on Taris preparing to massacre a small Republic settlement. I can tell you where.
: Why are you so readily sharing this with me?
: The information Doctor Godera possesses is worth more than terrorizing defenseless colonists. I know you won’t risk innocent lives. It’s not in your nature.

: We have to help those people.
: Rrrrr. Fine.
: Rescue your settlement. When that’s done, come here and you’ll receive Doctor Godera unharmed. You have my word.
: Betray me and you’ll regret it.
: The Republic colonists have a temporary shelter near some ruins. Sending you the coordinates now … The Sith assassin is noted for being a master of beasts. She likely won’t be alone. I advise caution. Good luck, Jedi ...

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Aww, poor box with legs droid. I liked its passion.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

RSVP knock-off Gonk droid. He died as he lived: hating Imperials a whole lot.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Moon Slayer posted:

And boy this questline does a good job of encouraging you to agree with him, "reasonable" Imperial Intelligence agent or not.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

oh, interesting.
Rescuing Civilians. Didn't think Alotta Stars would go for that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

Truly a lost opportunity to have the droid be a party member

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I was going to make a joke about asking the dude if we could trade droids, but... welp.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

oh, interesting.
Rescuing Civilians. Didn't think Alotta Stars would go for that.

It's a false choice, like 99% of the choices in the base game. The next mission is always go defend the colony. Saying you don't want to just gets you dark side points and Kira disapproves and tells you you have to.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

if you didn't want to be somewhere between Lawful Good, Lawful Stupid, and Stupid Good, you wouldn't have made a Jedi Knight.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

if you didn't want to be somewhere between Lawful Good, Lawful Stupid, and Stupid Good, you wouldn't have made a Jedi Knight.

We're part of two giant, galaxy spanning entities and dont have the option to just phone in warning of the attack and nip both problems at once. It would be really funny for that guy to do all that monologuing inly for the choice to be which mission to farm out.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Moon Slayer posted:

[Yes, somehow the ship you started on in Knights of the Old Republic survived atmospheric reentry, crashing on the surface (probably after going through several buildings first), and an orbital bombardment.]

Of course now we know it's canonically possible for a spacefaring structure that's sustained enough damage to be completely atomized to still leave enough intact debris to leave a somewhat visually interesting set piece

and also functioning electronic devices.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 14: Illusions

quote:

The daring Captain Jek Tambo is on a galaxy-spanning journey to find the fabled missing riches of long-dead crime lord Nok Drayen, but the notorious thief Skavak will stop at nothing to get them first.

The abandoned planet Taris holds one of the keys to Nok Drayen’s fantastic wealth, but the hostile world is a death trap of toxic swamps, dangerous ruins, and ravenous beasts.

The smuggler’s hunt for the buried vault leads deeper into the forbidding Taris wilderness, where hungry creatures and pirate scavengers prey on the unwary …

: Aurek Base. Apparently this is the largest Republic position outside the spaceport.
: Thanks for the exposition. We’re here to meet some Republic logistics guy who has our delivery.

: You’re the captain, yeah? I’m Sergeant Klewer. Risha says hello. I hear you two are in business together. I’m going to square you with Republic Customs. Agent Soganti is watching your every move, but I can fix that.

: What? Trouble? Hey now, I’m an upstanding citizen, and …

: Relax, captain. I’m a friend. Your partner and me go way back. Risha expressed some concern you might not be able to leave Taris with what you came here for. Not unless Republic Customs lays off. I can give you temporary diplomatic immunity. Republic Customs won’t be allowed to search you or your starship. That’ll keep the heat off you.

: Here are the supplies Beryl Thorne needs delivered. Take them to the camp at these coordinates. They’re for an engineer named Ovold. Good luck out there, captain, Try not to get dead.

[Hey, guess what, it’s time for a return of the hit segment from the Star Trek: Online LP: What I Cut Out. That’s where I talk about what actually happened in the game but was boring or dumb so I didn’t show it and it’s not thread canon. What does that mean? It means that from the perspective of the characters it never happened, not that it happened off-camera.]

:ssh: What I Cut Out: The good sergeant won’t give you the supplies until after you go recover some other supplies from pirates. You do this by going into their camp and interact with four different objects.

Codex posted:

The Sinking City is where the heart of old Taris collapsed into the world below during the bombardment. Taris’s most lively business and cultural districts have become a morass of urban decay. The ruins of Dynamet General Hospital, as well as massive building plates that once supported towering skyscrapers, provide shelter for rakghouls, pirates and scavengers. But the Sinking City promises to rise again–several attempts have been made to begin new construction in the area, and the Republic is focusing its reconstruction efforts on returning Taris to its former glory.

: Shh … hold still. Big hungry beastie out there is watching us, about eight hundred meters away.

: These Baktoid X-1 combat goggles show me everything. I never take them off. Have to keep up my visual scanning for the beasties.
: You … never take those off?
: Thought I lost them, once. Bonded them to my skull with industrial adhesive. Now I’m always ready.
: Uh … huh. What kind of beast is out there?
: Not sure. Lots of carnivores here. That one ran off, but it’ll be back. And I’ll still be watching.

: I’m Ovold, core-drilling engineer. Beryl sent a holo, told me you were coming. It’s about time. Scavengers raided the equipment stores three times last week. Took some good gear with them. Didn’t get my goggles, though.
: Beryl said you have something for me to take back to her.
: I used to, until the scavengers raided the camp.
: Of course.
: They ran off with those planetary core samples you came to get for Beryl. She can’t finish her contract without them. Need you to get them back.
: Seems to me taking more core samples would be less dangerous.
: They took the core driller, too. Got a new one on order, but it’ll be a few months.

: Of COURSE.
: Way I hear it, scavengers are pretty well organized. Got themselves a regular fortress. Real death trap.
: :sigh: If I had a credit for every death trap I’ve escaped, I wouldn’t need this job.
: Great. You’re looking for a cargo pod marked “Taris core samples.” Should be easy to pick out from everything else the scavengers stole. Speaking of which, I’ll pay extra for snatching the rest of my stolen gear. Need it to finish my work. Good luck out there …

: Stolen gear? Check.

: Why’d you have to go and kill everybody? Some of those guys were alright.

: I’m here for the planetary core samples. Hand them over.
: “Planetary core samples” … right. You work for Beryl Thorne, don’t you? That’s what I used to do. The names Tyrodall.

quote:

: If I don’t finish my contract, I don’t get paid. Tyrodall -- my partner -- died on a supply run. Put me in a real bind.

: I was actually helping Beryl smuggle artifacts off Taris disguised as core samples. Thought we’d get rich. Turns out, Beryl’s a soft touch. Instead of selling what we smuggle on the Imperial market, Beryl gives relics to descendants of Taris survivors for a tiny “finders fee.” Ridiculous.

: There’s an Imperial market on Taris?
: No, but higher-ups in Imperial space pay big credits for Taris artifacts. They’re status symbols. Anyway, I let Beryl think rakghouls killed me and went into business with the scavengers. They had a bright idea to increase profits. Why sell a relic to the Imperials once when we can sell it a dozen times? These droids are making copies of the relics.
: These droids can forge counterfeits?
: They can recreate a relic down to the last detail. The copies are flawless.
: Nice.

: Look, let’s be smart about this. I’ll give you a hefty payout and a cargo pod of counterfeit relics if you keep my operation quiet. You go home richer, Beryl gets some “relics” to give away, and I stay in business scamming the Imperials. What do you say?
: Sounds like a happy ending for everyone.
: Great. I’ll transfer credits to your account right away. You’ll have them by the time you’re done with Beryl. Take this cargo pod of fake relics to her. She’ll never know the difference. Just remember, this stays between us.

[Of course, this being an MMO with its own trade house-based economy, when the story says you’re getting a “hefty payout,” you don’t actually get any in-game currency, or at least never a meaningful amount.]

: Uh, hey cap’n? I’m not sure how I feel about this …
: What? Like I said, everybody wins. I mean, the Imperials get scammed but who cares. And maybe some Republic rando’s great-great-grandpa’s genuine chamber pot or whatever from Taris isn’t as genuine as he thinks. What did you want me to do? Kill that guy to take the genuine relics back? Report Beryl to the Republic? Tell her we’re on to her operation so then she doesn’t help us find the vault? What good would any of that do?
: I guess you’re right. This is why I leave the thinking to you.
: A wise decision.

: Hey, you got all the gear those scavengers stole. Turnabout’s fair play, right? Got those core samples, too. That’ll make Beryl a happy lady. You should go see her right away.
: Have a nice life, goggle-head.
: Tell Beryl I said hello, huh?

: *ah-hem*
: I can count the number of times I’ve been truly impressed in my life on one hand, captain.

: Congratulations. You walking in with those core samples just got added to the list.
: I always deliver, sweetheart.

: Shame to see a man like you wanted on Risha. Argo, take this cargo pod and stow it with the others.
: When will we finally leave this accursed swamp? The humidity makes my joints rust …

: Hey, look at that -- the Republic just updated my contract log as “complete.” And right on time, my spaceport friend granted me access to the Republic sensor array. Let’s find us a vault.
: Tell me about this mysterious friend of yours.
: What’s the matter? Jealous?

: Just wondering how it was that easy to get access.
: Never easy. I just make it look that way. Hmm … sensors are picking up the vault’s unique radiation signature. That’s good. Ah ha! There it is! Oh … your vault is in Zone Zero. That’s bad.
: Yeah that doesn’t sound too good.
: Zone Zero is no man’s land. When the Republic first got here, it sent a bunch of surveyors to map the region. One surveyor made it back alive. Said the place is overrun with things worse than rakghouls. Nobody goes there.
: Well, no man should march into certain death without a kiss for luck.

: I’ll ask, but Argo’s real picky about his men.
: I beg your pardon, mistress!?
: You’ll need some serious hardware to crack that vault. Risha’s good at getting into places she isn't supposed to. Maybe talk to her. It’s been interesting knowing you, captain. Have fun out there.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oof, Sergeant Klewer is rough looking. Does that make me a xenophobe? I do play a lot of XCOM...

Hmmm... worse than rakghouls? Rakalghoul? Rakgraveir? :v:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

(In today's production, the part of "things worse than rakghouls" will be played by palette-swapped rakghouls.)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

(In today's production, the part of "things worse than rakghouls" will be played by palette-swapped rakghouls.)

next, you'll fight a palette swapped rakghoul alpha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Well thread I'm afraid I've got bad news. I lost my job last week. I've been furloughed since early April but now found out for sure that I wouldn't be coming back.

I'm very fortunate enough to be in a position where I'm not in immediate danger of losing food or housing. And before all of this started I had applied for a training program that starts in August so there was a good chance that I was going to be leaving anyway.

No matter what, though, I'm going to be going through some fairly big life changes in the next few months. So I think it's probably a good idea to just bring this LP to an end now. It was always a long shot that I was going to get through even a majority of the story but yeah I'm pretty disappointed.

In the next few days I'll post some final thoughts on the game and talk about where I had planned to take Alora as a character. Stay tuned!