Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
fwiw I sent the following to mayor pete on fb and it said 'delivered' before the debate

quote:

At this point in history, if your campaign achieved the result of elevating the minority voices of South Bend, the very people who would mic-check you back home, and allow them more control over the overton window (if not the conclusions popularly reached), you'd have done a service for your nation and our city.

excepting, of course, mario simms lol

a strategy that deliberately, from fear, works to minimize and squelch those voices would be folly
I'm tryin' here guys also that acid really kicked my rear end tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't get over how loving off-putting Pete sounds when he talks. The video comparing him with Patrick Bateman is uncannily accurate. It's like some sort of bizarre anti-charisma. He's like some sort of savant at displaying a complete lack of conviction.

Who in the world listens to this guy and has positive feelings about it?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Who in the world listens to this guy and has positive feelings about it?
Moms.

He sounds like such a nice man

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rad Russian posted:

I assume the establishment has to be all in on Amy right now but it might be too late? Not sure what they can do. Biden is falling apart and Pete has not made any progress with minority voters.

They're trying to make klobmentum a thing but only to the same degree that they've never stopped trying to make klobmentum a thing. Its not the same as being all in. It would be great if they did though.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Shrecknet posted:

Moms.

He sounds like such a nice man

My mom for sure. She thinks Pete will be Obama 2.0 so she can stop caring about politics.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

She could at least vote for an Obama that isn't a psychopathic monster (redundant I know)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bernie will be the 3rd president in a row whose coalition grew from a bunch of people who didn't want Hillary Clinton to be president

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

This debate was pretty good.

Klobuchar & Steyer did well IMO.

Hopefully, it puts a pin in Biden and Pete.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shrecknet posted:

Bernie will be the 3rd president in a row whose coalition grew from a bunch of people who didn't want Hillary Clinton to be president

One day we'll see a postmortem on the Clinton cartel and its mass-production of its own enemies.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pete is a robotic looking robotic sounding centrist gold digger.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I need someone here to respond to this intelligently, without using words like "smoothbrain", "rat", "reddit is bad", etc. Like, a non-reactionary response. Because if i just retort to someone who cites these stats in the way this thread would otherwise, it won't help anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pete_Buttigieg/comments/f0rq5l/pete_was_right_the_moderator_was_wrong_on_average/

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

French Canadian posted:

I need someone here to respond to this intelligently, without using words like "smoothbrain", "rat", "reddit is bad", etc. Like, a non-reactionary response. Because if i just retort to someone who cites these stats in the way this thread would otherwise, it won't help anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pete_Buttigieg/comments/f0rq5l/pete_was_right_the_moderator_was_wrong_on_average/

1) if the final data point bucks the trend *that much* it's reasonable to assume that something's happened - i haven't actually crunched the numbers but that looks like it's a part of a crackdown or something. would be nice to see numbers for 2019; regardless, buttigieg seems to have deemphasised weed crimes for a while
2) the trend the moderator was pointing at was the second chart, where there is indeed a trend gonig towards the more relaxed enforcement proportionately benefiting white people more. this is not necessarily due to buttigieg acting in bad faith or being a big ole racist or whatever, but it's a sign that american law enforcement *is* basically racist and when told to step off, they'll tend to step off of whites more than blacks, and as mayor he didn't really see this as a priority. that is fair, but it also means that criticism on the grounds that he hasn't shown that he cares a lot about systemic racism is fair

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this basic apathy also manifests itself in how unprepared he was to answer this question; it's pretty clear that he just didn't see this line of questioning coming from the moderator and hadn't thought it was important. the criticism isn't that he'd a secret klansman or anything, but that he does not see racial justice in america as a priority. which, again, it really seems as though he doesn't.

e. i really do think that there *was* a satisfactory answer to that question available in the data - it was tough, but not a gotcha. he just flubbed it

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Thank you!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Holy poo poo
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1226197389318533121?s=19

Apocalypse
Feb 27, 2004

No Men Here. Only Monsters.

Goddamn this video has way over the daily recommended dose of salt. That man got torn to pieces.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Apocalypse posted:

Goddamn this video has way over the daily recommended dose of salt. That man got torn to pieces.

I mean to be fair that bridge did look pretty sweet decked out with those lights. :goshawk:

But yeah most of it was a bit whatever and seemed sort of petty, but bringing up his firing of the African American police chief and fire chief was spot on and brutal as gently caress, and it's hard to see that not killing his campaign.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I wish more people would jump on Pete over this. He has set himself up beautifully for a political career, but he should be running for Congress or maybe, just maybe, the Senate. It is laughable that he is a legit presidential candidate, especially after seeing how terrible a no-experience candidate like Trump has been.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Slowpoke! posted:

I wish more people would jump on Pete over this. He has set himself up beautifully for a political career, but he should be running for Congress or maybe, just maybe, the Senate. It is laughable that he is a legit presidential candidate, especially after seeing how terrible a no-experience candidate like Trump has been.

He can't win a Senate race in Indiana....

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dr_rat posted:

I mean to be fair that bridge did look pretty sweet decked out with those lights. :goshawk:

But yeah most of it was a bit whatever and seemed sort of petty, but bringing up his firing of the African American police chief and fire chief was spot on and brutal as gently caress, and it's hard to see that not killing his campaign.

I like how they continue using the word "decorative" in a lot of those comparisons. It makes Pete very "for show", like South Bend need something more than superficial.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

dr_rat posted:

See now, there's a funny thing about those lights...

There's a game you can play with it. The artist/designer made it interactive! Nobody in the city knows how to operate it; the creator didn't tell anyone, hoping the city would figure it out.

I'll tell you how it operates. There's five towers on the East side, where there's a (mostly) public park. There's 3 towers on the West side of the river, in the beautiful on-the-water space that the Art Museum controls, which gets locked up much of the time and rented out for (rich people) weddings and events.

Each tower has two sensors - it's the same sensor at a distribution center that opens a garage door when a new truck backs in. One sensor detects motion 'toward' that tower, one sensor detects motion 'away' from that tower. Remember, there's 2 sensors per tower.

It takes 3 people on each side to operate it (well, I can do one side by myself, but I think I've only once gotten people on the other side - in part because /that/ side is rarely open to the public!). Here's the dance:

3 people each choose a tower on one side of the river. They find the 'sweet spot' where your movement sets off the motion detectors (there's a little red led on the sensor itself, so you can tell when it's active). Once you're all in position, all together, rest long enough for the sensor leds to turn off, then (in a window of about 2 seconds) step TOWARD each of those three towers.

This will send a cascade of colorful light across the river. That cascade completes with the towers on the other side of the river changing colors - and the top lights flashing (for about one second).

If, during that one second where the top lights across the river are flashing, you have 3 more people positioned, and each of THEM takes one step /away/ from the tower, it sends the volley of light back over the river to where the first team was standing. This coordniated backward-step can be repated, and you can play 'pong' across the river, sending the volley back and forth indefinitely as six people dance with each-other from opposite sides of the river.

But the artist didn't tell anybody how to operate it, so it's never used that way. I'da taught errbody, but I went travellin' in '16.

I think the artist wanted for the citizenry to figure it out, and thought it would be some bright and beautiful analogy for how all the people of the city worked together and figured it out etc.

Of course, that river is also a major indicator of economic class in the city. There's the 'east side' and the 'west side.' The West Side is the grittier part I guess - I'm from the 2nd district, my paper route was there, etc. It's the part of town where most of the '1000 homes in 1000 days'were torn down. Lotta good black folk live in those neighborhoods. The East Side is the white, semi-affluent PMC side. Now, the five light towers are on the East side of the river, in a publicly accessible park, and the three light towers are on the West side of the river, where it's rich private hoity-toity stuffs. Which means if you ever wanted to actually teach the city of south bend how to use this beautiful light installation, you have to go on a day where there's an event filled with wealthy people on one side of the river, and get the po' folk on the other side, an' get 'em all to play together.

And it hasn't happened. It should've happened by now, but it hasn't. I'd have made it happen by now, but I've been out of town since forever. I rolled through south bend last summer, on my travels, and the lights are falling int odisrepair.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

Trump being bad has almost nothing to do with him having "no experience," though. And having more experience wouldn't make Pete any better.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 8, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Slowpoke! posted:

its gonna happen. biden seems to think that if he knives butt enough, he can beat bernie. so he is gonna go after butt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Trump being bad has almost nothing to do with him having "no experience," though. And having more experience wouldn't make Pete any better.

yeah, like if butt wins the primary somehow. i can see him scraping a win out against trump but its alot harder time than bernie or even biden.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

Only one cure for presidential ambition.

None truism note: he's not so much a Beto, who just got whispered into his doomed run. He's really this loving ambitious. I also don't think he's stupid, just completely soulless. He probably realized what direction the democratic party was going, and understands this is his last chance.

I mean am i supposed to believe Pete wouldn't melt with AOC staring him down?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Uglycat I hate to tell you this but it's about 90% certain that you and your friends were just high, and that's why you think you were controlling some bridge lights. More importantly - who gives a flying gently caress. Like who loving cares, about South Bend, IN. It is not the microcosm of American society you occasionally make it out to be, and nothing that happens there portends for America more broadly - except I guess if Mayor Pete becomes President, in which case all the bad decisions he made as mayor there will then play out on a national stage. Otherwise it's a truly unimportant American city, and for that matter not a terribly important Indianan city, either. Virtually no one, including the vast majority of people currently living in South Bend, IN, gives a day-old poo poo about South Bend, IN. Honestly I hope Mayor Pete eats poo poo in the primary for a lot of reasons, but I think the one that is going to affect me the most - at least the most immediately and personally - is not having to read any more about all the amazing nobody-gives-a-gently caress things that are happening or have happened in South Bend IN, ever again.

I mean I have hope of that, anyway. I guess it's possible that you'll continue to post about South Bend, IN, even after Mayor Pete eats poo poo. In fact I guess that is likely. But it'll probably be at least a little less? That's my hope, anyway: fewer posts about loving South Bend, IN - a city I'm pretty sure I didn't know existed before this primary, have absolutely no interest in learning anything about during this primary, and hope to forget about forever after this primary.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Like honestly I'm not sure which is worse: the fact that I have to read about the most irrelevant poo poo that has ever happened in the fourth-largest metropolitan area in Indiana, or that I now know what is the fourth-largest metropolitan area in loving Indiana, which is knowledge I have absolutely no need of, and neither does anybody else. Jesus Christ.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

French Canadian posted:

His response was not "the first and last years of my term were outliers and don't accurately capture the general reduction in total arrests, and the fraction of arrests that were African-American was fairly stable throughout".

His answer was "we had to bust black kids with marijuana possession charges, because we all know deep down that they're violent thugs".

That's the actual problem, not the accuracy of the statistics in the question. He was basically a guy on the stand that Matlock tricked into confessing. We all heard it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Like honestly I'm not sure which is worse: the fact that I have to read about the most irrelevant poo poo that has ever happened in the fourth-largest metropolitan area in Indiana, or that I now know what is the fourth-largest metropolitan area in loving Indiana, which is knowledge I have absolutely no need of, and neither does anybody else. Jesus Christ.

but we have to have a Goon garrison keillor.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but we have to have a Goon garrison keillor.
One for Burlington would be slightly more tolerable, although I'd still occasionally tell that one to shut the gently caress up, as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

One for Burlington would be slightly more tolerable, although I'd still occasionally tell that one to shut the gently caress up, as well.

i mean i live in rural SE PA and its pretty purplish most of the time but than again all the towns around me are dead.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Fun-havers caucus meeting going great I see.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Fun-havers caucus meeting going great I see.
My neighbor has a backyard light that shines into our windows when it's on, and I'm trying to figure out if I can turn it off by fiddling with my stove.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

FizFashizzle posted:

Only one cure for presidential ambition.

None truism note: he's not so much a Beto, who just got whispered into his doomed run. He's really this loving ambitious. I also don't think he's stupid, just completely soulless. He probably realized what direction the democratic party was going, and understands this is his last chance.

I mean am i supposed to believe Pete wouldn't melt with AOC staring him down?

guys like pete happen in every political movement. if the democratic party becomes the sanders party it's quickly going to fill up with petes. they're too bright and hard-working to keep out. really i think what prompted this run was the fact that indiana is a dead end for a democratic politician - he's got no other means of career progression than making a big splash and going national. he probably wasn't expecting this to go so well as to make him look like a plausible contender, but now it has gone that well and that's perfectly OK by pete. when he loses he'll have made a valiant effort and is suddenly prize property for any employer in the land, and he might be able to leverage this run into some federal position or maybe make a run at the senate if a seat looks vulnerable

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Uglycat I hate to tell you this but it's about 90% certain that you and your friends were just high, and that's why you think you were controlling some bridge lights. More importantly - who gives a flying gently caress. Like who loving cares, about South Bend, IN. It is not the microcosm of American society you occasionally make it out to be, and nothing that happens there portends for America more broadly - except I guess if Mayor Pete becomes President, in which case all the bad decisions he made as mayor there will then play out on a national stage. Otherwise it's a truly unimportant American city, and for that matter not a terribly important Indianan city, either. Virtually no one, including the vast majority of people currently living in South Bend, IN, gives a day-old poo poo about South Bend, IN.

With all due respect, the very real flaws laid bare in Pete as a candidate are flaws that exist to varying degrees in cities all across Turtle Island. Racist cops, infiltrated by klansmen. Houses being buldozed and urban 'culture' targetting the PMC, excluding the poor, and driving rent and property values up. Destroying the camps where homeless people sleep. And even some of the poo poo Pete almost sorta got right - like the Combined Sewer Overflow problem, his flagship - are issues that every loving city in america is dealing with.

And South Bend is a loving awesome city full of awesome people. It's diverse as gently caress. The artists are brilliant. The talent is incredible. And we have problems with systemic racism that disqualify Pete and the vast majority of American Mayors (to say nothing of prosecutors, cops, etc) from serving in that 'highest office.

And I'd feel a lot better about the future if the overton window shifted this way and away from impeachment and sockpuppets and DNC fuckery and this shitshow reality show pageant. And /that's/ the value I've seen in pushing for his involvement thus far. If the sole result of his run is that the brilliant minority voices - the people who mic check him at events, and many people who wouldn't dare - are elevated onto this national stage and drown out the white folk talking from podiums (save Bernie, of course - though I'm confident he has the sense to at least yield the floor!)... if that's the sole result, he's done a service to his city and his nation. If he really wanted to be a hero, he'd loving flip off his 40 billionaire donors, drop out, pocket his winnings and throw his full support behind Bernie. But he's not going to be that hero. That's okay, he served his purposeup to iowa and now Bernie's victory is assured.

I want people in south bend interviewing pete's critics on topics other than 'hey isn't pete a dick?', ad I want people talking about the loving insight you'd find from doing so.

So gently caress you. And Bernie gon' win.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Please shut up about South Bend.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I am very looking forward to Pete dropping out of the race and not a single human being outside of Illiniois ever talking about South Bend ever again

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
By the time Pete is done the town is going to want to change their name and scrub all record of Pete.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gatts posted:

By the time Pete is done the town is going to want to change their name and scrub all record of Pete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
South Bend: The Fractured Butt Hole