Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this debate sucks poo poo i can't believe i stayed up for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is this seriously the level of discourse in yankeeland

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh i don't think "lock him up" is necessarily going to be a very good slogan, it might be seen as plagiarism

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Rochallor posted:

The Hunter Biden stuff has the same feel as "but her emails." Legally it's bunk and Trump is just hammering hypocritically on it... but it's a really lovely thing that only the rich would get away with and it's going to irk regular people.

the biden family is clearly spectacularly corrupt and should probably be charged with something

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i love sanders' ole timey noo yark working-class jewish accent

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mayo pete: as a spy myself i think we should listen more to our spy-american community

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

yes lets just sit down and debate with Kim Jong Un cmon Bernie.

eh, one of trump's best things was his short bromance with kim jong un before someone lost interest and the thing froze back over. rapprochement on the korean peninsula is in everyone's interest (except china i guess lol)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

biden is just... blathering, jesus christ

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

pete's voice freaks me out, he's clearly had lessons of some kind

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i actually tend to like steyer's points

he's a monstrous plutocrat but tbh if this debate were all i had to go on he'd be probably my second choice

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

he actually focus tested which one to use

right now, yes, but earlier in his campaign you could buy merchandise telling you to pronounce it boot edge edge

guy is -remarkably- plastic

yeah he gives me some uncanny loving vibes

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

like i can see buttigieg showing up with gloves and some cheesewire and just choking the life out of someone who crossed him, totally expressionless

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sanders is very good at making it seem like he know what he's talking about, i think it's the referring to things by their proper names

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

guns are the most inexplicably american culture war lol this is so boring

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not inexplicable considering how many mass shootings and school shootings we have

lots of countries have high firearms density. most countries do not have that high mass shooting density.

i mean i get that it's an issue, but it's so big in america idgi

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

klobuchar is really boring, but i get the impression that she can be very intimidating. what i'm saying is, i think she might be a match for trump as a bully

also pete lol you stupid gently caress the supreme court has been party-political since the fukken whigs

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

steyer is just happy to be here, he seems to enjoy participating in the show and taking the opportunity to talk poo poo about politics on television

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jettisonedstuff posted:

Unless it's changed since like 3 weeks ago she performed the worst of all the candidates in head to head polls with Trump.

polls are one thing, but i can see her doing well in debates and being able to counter trump's style of politics. pete is too clearly stuck-up, he'd get slaughtered, for example - i think klobuchar would be able to keep her head cool under fire and just out-mean him

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ok i changed my mind this debate owns hahahahaha

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Apocalypse posted:

I don't know how he's going to erode Biden's support with the African American community if he won't point out how much damage he's done.

there is nothing sanders can do to biden on this front that biden hasn't done to himself

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

money has too much of a role in politics!

*steyer coughs billionairishly*

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jesus this sentimental nonsense just stop it please

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

steyer keeps agreeing with sanders lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

denmark doesn't have a king atm it's got a queen regnant

for shame klobb

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hellblazer187 posted:

Who is richer, Bloomberg or Steyer? Both are richer than Trump, right?

bloomberg is enormously richer

bloomberg is *incomprehensibly* wealthy

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

warren seems awfully big on "sure everyone's been giving platitudes about this and nothing's happened about it for decades, but TRUST ME i'll actually fix it" is this her normal pitch

because she's not a particularly honest person. like, not the biggest liar, but she's no paragon of personal integrity

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

god standing up there for three hours and having to focus and find spots to deliver your patter just seems so loving *exhausting*. must be about the worst part of the job, this

aaaand here comes the klobb with another interminable and pointless anecdote yay

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one thing i despise about political reporting is that they get caught up on the game and the flourishes instead of attempting to interrogate their programmes and ideologies, and it leaves them vulnerable to vacuous bullshit like this

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nobody becomes a more enlightened voter by noting that biden attempted to stab bernie or whatever, jesus christ this isn't a sports event

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

French Canadian posted:

I need someone here to respond to this intelligently, without using words like "smoothbrain", "rat", "reddit is bad", etc. Like, a non-reactionary response. Because if i just retort to someone who cites these stats in the way this thread would otherwise, it won't help anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pete_Buttigieg/comments/f0rq5l/pete_was_right_the_moderator_was_wrong_on_average/

1) if the final data point bucks the trend *that much* it's reasonable to assume that something's happened - i haven't actually crunched the numbers but that looks like it's a part of a crackdown or something. would be nice to see numbers for 2019; regardless, buttigieg seems to have deemphasised weed crimes for a while
2) the trend the moderator was pointing at was the second chart, where there is indeed a trend gonig towards the more relaxed enforcement proportionately benefiting white people more. this is not necessarily due to buttigieg acting in bad faith or being a big ole racist or whatever, but it's a sign that american law enforcement *is* basically racist and when told to step off, they'll tend to step off of whites more than blacks, and as mayor he didn't really see this as a priority. that is fair, but it also means that criticism on the grounds that he hasn't shown that he cares a lot about systemic racism is fair

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this basic apathy also manifests itself in how unprepared he was to answer this question; it's pretty clear that he just didn't see this line of questioning coming from the moderator and hadn't thought it was important. the criticism isn't that he'd a secret klansman or anything, but that he does not see racial justice in america as a priority. which, again, it really seems as though he doesn't.

e. i really do think that there *was* a satisfactory answer to that question available in the data - it was tough, but not a gotcha. he just flubbed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

FizFashizzle posted:

Only one cure for presidential ambition.

None truism note: he's not so much a Beto, who just got whispered into his doomed run. He's really this loving ambitious. I also don't think he's stupid, just completely soulless. He probably realized what direction the democratic party was going, and understands this is his last chance.

I mean am i supposed to believe Pete wouldn't melt with AOC staring him down?

guys like pete happen in every political movement. if the democratic party becomes the sanders party it's quickly going to fill up with petes. they're too bright and hard-working to keep out. really i think what prompted this run was the fact that indiana is a dead end for a democratic politician - he's got no other means of career progression than making a big splash and going national. he probably wasn't expecting this to go so well as to make him look like a plausible contender, but now it has gone that well and that's perfectly OK by pete. when he loses he'll have made a valiant effort and is suddenly prize property for any employer in the land, and he might be able to leverage this run into some federal position or maybe make a run at the senate if a seat looks vulnerable