Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Nihilarian posted:

Is buttigiegs name really pronounced booty judge

Depends on who is pronouncing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

V. Illych L. posted:

also pete lol you stupid gently caress the supreme court has been party-political since the fukken whigs

I mean, growing up (libertarian- gross), I remember being taught the difference between a 'conservative judge' and a 'conservative senator', where conservative judges are conservative in how they interpret the constitution, whereas conservative senators are aligned with the party that identifies as conservative (in terms of policy).

I don't know if that changed in my lifetime, or if the lie was just exposed.

No, I think I do know.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
fwiw I sent the following to mayor pete on fb and it said 'delivered' before the debate

quote:

At this point in history, if your campaign achieved the result of elevating the minority voices of South Bend, the very people who would mic-check you back home, and allow them more control over the overton window (if not the conclusions popularly reached), you'd have done a service for your nation and our city.

excepting, of course, mario simms lol

a strategy that deliberately, from fear, works to minimize and squelch those voices would be folly
I'm tryin' here guys also that acid really kicked my rear end tonight

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

dr_rat posted:

I mean to be fair that bridge did look pretty sweet decked out with those lights. :goshawk:

See now, there's a funny thing about those lights...

There's a game you can play with it. The artist/designer made it interactive! Nobody in the city knows how to operate it; the creator didn't tell anyone, hoping the city would figure it out.

I'll tell you how it operates. There's five towers on the East side, where there's a (mostly) public park. There's 3 towers on the West side of the river, in the beautiful on-the-water space that the Art Museum controls, which gets locked up much of the time and rented out for (rich people) weddings and events.

Each tower has two sensors - it's the same sensor at a distribution center that opens a garage door when a new truck backs in. One sensor detects motion 'toward' that tower, one sensor detects motion 'away' from that tower. Remember, there's 2 sensors per tower.

It takes 3 people on each side to operate it (well, I can do one side by myself, but I think I've only once gotten people on the other side - in part because /that/ side is rarely open to the public!). Here's the dance:

3 people each choose a tower on one side of the river. They find the 'sweet spot' where your movement sets off the motion detectors (there's a little red led on the sensor itself, so you can tell when it's active). Once you're all in position, all together, rest long enough for the sensor leds to turn off, then (in a window of about 2 seconds) step TOWARD each of those three towers.

This will send a cascade of colorful light across the river. That cascade completes with the towers on the other side of the river changing colors - and the top lights flashing (for about one second).

If, during that one second where the top lights across the river are flashing, you have 3 more people positioned, and each of THEM takes one step /away/ from the tower, it sends the volley of light back over the river to where the first team was standing. This coordniated backward-step can be repated, and you can play 'pong' across the river, sending the volley back and forth indefinitely as six people dance with each-other from opposite sides of the river.

But the artist didn't tell anybody how to operate it, so it's never used that way. I'da taught errbody, but I went travellin' in '16.

I think the artist wanted for the citizenry to figure it out, and thought it would be some bright and beautiful analogy for how all the people of the city worked together and figured it out etc.

Of course, that river is also a major indicator of economic class in the city. There's the 'east side' and the 'west side.' The West Side is the grittier part I guess - I'm from the 2nd district, my paper route was there, etc. It's the part of town where most of the '1000 homes in 1000 days'were torn down. Lotta good black folk live in those neighborhoods. The East Side is the white, semi-affluent PMC side. Now, the five light towers are on the East side of the river, in a publicly accessible park, and the three light towers are on the West side of the river, where it's rich private hoity-toity stuffs. Which means if you ever wanted to actually teach the city of south bend how to use this beautiful light installation, you have to go on a day where there's an event filled with wealthy people on one side of the river, and get the po' folk on the other side, an' get 'em all to play together.

And it hasn't happened. It should've happened by now, but it hasn't. I'd have made it happen by now, but I've been out of town since forever. I rolled through south bend last summer, on my travels, and the lights are falling int odisrepair.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Uglycat I hate to tell you this but it's about 90% certain that you and your friends were just high, and that's why you think you were controlling some bridge lights. More importantly - who gives a flying gently caress. Like who loving cares, about South Bend, IN. It is not the microcosm of American society you occasionally make it out to be, and nothing that happens there portends for America more broadly - except I guess if Mayor Pete becomes President, in which case all the bad decisions he made as mayor there will then play out on a national stage. Otherwise it's a truly unimportant American city, and for that matter not a terribly important Indianan city, either. Virtually no one, including the vast majority of people currently living in South Bend, IN, gives a day-old poo poo about South Bend, IN.

With all due respect, the very real flaws laid bare in Pete as a candidate are flaws that exist to varying degrees in cities all across Turtle Island. Racist cops, infiltrated by klansmen. Houses being buldozed and urban 'culture' targetting the PMC, excluding the poor, and driving rent and property values up. Destroying the camps where homeless people sleep. And even some of the poo poo Pete almost sorta got right - like the Combined Sewer Overflow problem, his flagship - are issues that every loving city in america is dealing with.

And South Bend is a loving awesome city full of awesome people. It's diverse as gently caress. The artists are brilliant. The talent is incredible. And we have problems with systemic racism that disqualify Pete and the vast majority of American Mayors (to say nothing of prosecutors, cops, etc) from serving in that 'highest office.

And I'd feel a lot better about the future if the overton window shifted this way and away from impeachment and sockpuppets and DNC fuckery and this shitshow reality show pageant. And /that's/ the value I've seen in pushing for his involvement thus far. If the sole result of his run is that the brilliant minority voices - the people who mic check him at events, and many people who wouldn't dare - are elevated onto this national stage and drown out the white folk talking from podiums (save Bernie, of course - though I'm confident he has the sense to at least yield the floor!)... if that's the sole result, he's done a service to his city and his nation. If he really wanted to be a hero, he'd loving flip off his 40 billionaire donors, drop out, pocket his winnings and throw his full support behind Bernie. But he's not going to be that hero. That's okay, he served his purposeup to iowa and now Bernie's victory is assured.

I want people in south bend interviewing pete's critics on topics other than 'hey isn't pete a dick?', ad I want people talking about the loving insight you'd find from doing so.

So gently caress you. And Bernie gon' win.