Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

buglord posted:

I’m also curious about a similar sentiment I keep reading in D&D about x or y candidate not being able to take on trump. I’ve read multiple times “warren would crumble under trump!” Debates don’t seem to matter because trump shat himself in all the Hilary debates and still won. And like, even if the dem nominee gets slaughtered in debates for whatever reason, I can’t imagine too many democrats deciding it’s suddenly time to switch sides?

Genuinely curious. Not trying to spout nothing matterism or arguing in bad faith. It just seems like, in this particular time and place, the ability to debate and take harassment by trump seems low on the priority list.
You can't really do the "I'm a big loving policy wonk and nerd" and go in to the weeds about how you gotta means test every loving thing and give long-winded answers to questions explaining why, actually, better things aren't possible, with Trump. You can't do that because that only works against opponents who will at least cooperate with you to maintain the lie that politics and policy is some super-complex, technocratic, arcane process that can only achieve results over decades and that is working best when everyone is a little unhappy about it. No way Trump is going to agree to that because for one you have to hold his attention for five minutes to explain the lie to him and why it's important for the ruling class to maintain this lie, and secondly he's too loving stupid to stick to the script even if you can convince him of it in that moment anyway. So when you start doing that poo poo he's just going to make a fart noise and say you're full of poo poo and that he's going to bring back disco for real this time when he's President, and that's going to play a lot better than "we need to bomb people on the barest of pretenses and pay trillions of dollars to get Americans killed and no, you can't get treatment for basic injuries and preventable diseases and here's a 59-point list that proves it - go to my website to learn more about how life absolutely must continue to suck for you, forever."

That's the offer of every candidate on the stage tonight except Bernie Sanders. He's the only candidate with a positive vision as opposed to the absence of a negative one. He's the only one who is not ever going to make some bullshit excuse for why some people have to die from easily and inexpensively-treatable diseases because we can't afford to do anything else, the only one who says it's unequivocally wrong to send Americans overseas to kill people and to get killed themselves in order to line the bank account of capitalists. The other ones on the stage aren't saying it directly, but it's effectively what their campaigns and their administrations will be about, and while not everyone will see through that, with Trump pointing it out for them enough will for each of those candidates to ultimately lose. Because they're liars - and if you've got one liar lying to you about making things better, and another lying to you about why things can't be better, most people are going to take the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Uglycat I hate to tell you this but it's about 90% certain that you and your friends were just high, and that's why you think you were controlling some bridge lights. More importantly - who gives a flying gently caress. Like who loving cares, about South Bend, IN. It is not the microcosm of American society you occasionally make it out to be, and nothing that happens there portends for America more broadly - except I guess if Mayor Pete becomes President, in which case all the bad decisions he made as mayor there will then play out on a national stage. Otherwise it's a truly unimportant American city, and for that matter not a terribly important Indianan city, either. Virtually no one, including the vast majority of people currently living in South Bend, IN, gives a day-old poo poo about South Bend, IN. Honestly I hope Mayor Pete eats poo poo in the primary for a lot of reasons, but I think the one that is going to affect me the most - at least the most immediately and personally - is not having to read any more about all the amazing nobody-gives-a-gently caress things that are happening or have happened in South Bend IN, ever again.

I mean I have hope of that, anyway. I guess it's possible that you'll continue to post about South Bend, IN, even after Mayor Pete eats poo poo. In fact I guess that is likely. But it'll probably be at least a little less? That's my hope, anyway: fewer posts about loving South Bend, IN - a city I'm pretty sure I didn't know existed before this primary, have absolutely no interest in learning anything about during this primary, and hope to forget about forever after this primary.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Like honestly I'm not sure which is worse: the fact that I have to read about the most irrelevant poo poo that has ever happened in the fourth-largest metropolitan area in Indiana, or that I now know what is the fourth-largest metropolitan area in loving Indiana, which is knowledge I have absolutely no need of, and neither does anybody else. Jesus Christ.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but we have to have a Goon garrison keillor.
One for Burlington would be slightly more tolerable, although I'd still occasionally tell that one to shut the gently caress up, as well.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Fun-havers caucus meeting going great I see.
My neighbor has a backyard light that shines into our windows when it's on, and I'm trying to figure out if I can turn it off by fiddling with my stove.