Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Problem description: As I have a couple times before, I'm using an 8GB USB Flash drive to install a linux distro, Pop!_OS onto an HP Elitebook 840 that I bought off someone. It goofed on a system update, but I had nothing on it to save, so I decided to install again. I picked every option I could to delete and clean everything off. The installation detects it, seems to run without errors, and when prompted to shut down, I do so and remove the flash drive, it pops up first "Initializing and establishing link...[PXE-E61] Media Test Failure".

The next screen will come up: "BootDevice Not Found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk. Hard Disk - 3F0"

Attempted fixes: I've made sure nothing is plugged into the device. Every time it boots up, it tries to do HP System Diagnostics. I've done the Memory test and Hard Drive Test - both Quick and Extensive. It passes.

Everything mentioning the latter 2 error messages (PXE-E61 and "Hard Disk - 3F0") involves all manner of steps, including:

• Legacy Boot Mode
  • Disabling PXE/Network Boot (That only disabled the first error, but BootDevice error keeps coming up
  • Making sure the hard drive is the first in the boot order
  • Reseating the battery
  • Resetting/Defaulting the BIOS
  • Selecting Notebook Hard Drive in the boot options

And probably some others that I'm forgetting in my mild stress.

Everything I've done brings that up...except when I have the USB in the laptop and choose it in the boot selection. The installer comes up, and I'm able to select the drive to do a clean install. Hell, within the past hour, I took this picture:

This thing seems to detect my hard drive. Not certain why this is having an issue. The only thing I haven't done is reseating the hard drive itself, since I'm confident it's detected.

Recent changes: Not to this one in particular other than an attempted reinstall, which I've done before successfully.

--

Operating system: Pop!_OS but I'm not married to this distro.

System specs: HP Elitebook 840, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU