Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Problem description: On a machine that was previously fast, I formatted and re-installed Windows 10. Basic operations like "open start menu", "open new explorer window", "open settings" now delay by around 30 seconds.

Attempted fixes: Tried checking for lag before installing any programs -- still lags. Still lags after downloading/installing all possible Windows Updates and rebooting a few times. Still lags if I flatten and reinstall again. Only is fast in Safe Mode. Once I do install anything, those programs take around 30 seconds to startup too.

Recent changes: Flattened and reinstalled. I deleted ALL partitions on the HDD (including system/recovery) and just let the installer work around that (looks like it re-made new system/recovery partitions).

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit education
System specs: Lenovo X220 Laptop (Type 4286-CTO)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Note: Although everything's fast again under Safe Mode, a couple drivers seem to be absent there -- the mouse scroll button stops working, and the display aspect ratio is stretched. Could the lack of those be making it fast again? Maybe if stuff related to that hardware is crashing a lot of times per second?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run CDI to check HD health:
https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/72256/CrystalDiskInfo8_4_0.exe/

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

It’s not his HDD, bad advice mate.

Real advice: On a fresh install you need to install the video drivers and check that the machine is not throttling down...

1. Firstly, go to settings and Ease of Access and turn off Animations, Hide Scrollbar and Disable Transparency.

2. Usually I let Windows 10 update grab a temporary video driver at this point, but I would greatly recommend that you download the most current video and chipset drivers from your laptops support site regardless.

3. Uninstall any video driver Windows was using, skip this step if you didn’t let it install one.

4. Install your laptop’s mfg drivers, reboot to normal mode.

5. Do another Windows Update check and let it download and install other updates. Reboot again to normal mode.

That should be it.

Afterwards, I would check performance monitor and make sure your CPU speed looks right also, sometimes laptops can throttle down for “reasons” making everything super slow, this can sometimes be due to a battery or ac adapter issue on Dells. If the CPU speeds look like really low you could have an issue there. I sometimes use a program called ThrottleStop when this happens, but check the CPU speeds in safe mode too!!

Edit: Remove the battery and do performance tests with only AC power also!!

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 19, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Wow, that is really helpful! I will try those things next. I think you're on to something with missing video drivers.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Slayerjerman posted:

It’s not his HDD, bad advice mate.

There have been many cases where an OS is sluggish/laggy and the underlying cause was a failing HDD. Hypothetically, in this case safe mode may not be accessing the damaged portion of the HD.

It isn't a bad idea to run CDI occassionally on any HDD as it takes only a few seconds. HDs can start getting bad sectors without exhibiting any symptoms as well before a sudden and complete failure.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Zogo posted:

There have been many cases where an OS is sluggish/laggy and the underlying cause was a failing HDD. Hypothetically, in this case safe mode may not be accessing the damaged portion of the HD.

It isn't a bad idea to run CDI occassionally on any HDD as it takes only a few seconds. HDs can start getting bad sectors without exhibiting any symptoms as well before a sudden and complete failure.

Very rarely will Windows install let alone boot off a bad drive. Yes it can’t hurt to run it anyway, including a scan disk check. But the symptoms all point to drivers or throttling.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Slayerjerman posted:

1. Firstly, go to settings and Ease of Access and turn off Animations, Hide Scrollbar and Disable Transparency.

Surprisingly this is what got immediate results.

I guess those features were too much for my improper video driver configuration. I installed the final driver posted by Lenovo for the Intel HD 3000 integrated card, and sure enough Windows Update had an additional update for it once that was in place. No slowdown ever since.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Surprisingly this is what got immediate results.

I guess those features were too much for my improper video driver configuration. I installed the final driver posted by Lenovo for the Intel HD 3000 integrated card, and sure enough Windows Update had an additional update for it once that was in place. No slowdown ever since.

Thank you!

Glad you got it fixed :)