Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i work fully remotely for a fully remote company and its cool as heck. i have an office again, none of that open floorplan nonsense. i walk my dog every day. i can work from anywhere, and i've spent weeks traveling and working with no degradation in productivity. i've never had such a calm, productive, flexible work experience before and it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Cool story

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

does anybody else work remotely

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I work remotely whenever it's snowing outside

in truth though, I'm not remotely working

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

current remote status: wearing my underpants, wrapping up for the day. time to commute to the kitchen to start dinner. this will take five seconds

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i figure that most people working remotely are just jacking off all day. that's what i'd be doing

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i worked remotely for 4 years and it loving ruled

now i have to go into the office like a pleb :negative:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i try to show up at the office at least once or twice per week to make myself feel less like a hermit

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Agreed op it's the best work related decision I've ever made. Happier, fitter, more productive.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I have a 10 minute walk to "work" (a co-working space) and sometimes I go to another country for a month and work from there instead.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

id never get anything done and be fired in a week op

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pointsofdata posted:

(a co-working space)

i would have to do this. i cannot work from home

pram
Jun 10, 2001

r u ready to WALK posted:

i try to show up at the office at least once or twice per week to make myself feel less like a hermit

I do this but mostly because when I go my manager buys lunch with his company credit card

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

did remote for 5.5 years, drove me crazier than before, but gotta admit was convenient and also nice to be around the dog all day

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

graph posted:

i would have to do this. i cannot work from home

It's great you can choose your co-working space for noise level, proximity, niceness (the small ones are normally way better than most offices). Then you don't even have to go if you feel like staying at home.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
is it against the law to tell a job I'm wfh and then go do another job to get double paid or is it just a really bad idea

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

is it against the law to tell a job I'm wfh and then go do another job to get double paid or is it just a really bad idea

there's an apocryphal story from the first dotcom bubble about a guy who would show up to work at job 1, put his jacket on his chair then go to job 2 a half mile away. he would show up for meetings and answer email from job 1 but didn't really do anything and it took several months for anyone to notice

I also know personally a guy who got away with paying an offshore team 30% of his salary to do 90% of his job

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
it doesn't matter where you do it, working isn't cool.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I really hate the fact that I find actual value in the workplace cubicles, sitting next to my team, and work-related office conversation

On the other hand I don't come in till like 1pm most days so I miss almost all the useless morning chatter

And because of my schedule I sometimes stay in the evening where I'm working alone and that's productive too

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ShadowHawk posted:

I really hate the fact that I find actual value in the workplace cubicles, sitting next to my team, and work-related office conversation

On the other hand I don't come in till like 1pm most days so I miss almost all the useless morning chatter

And because of my schedule I sometimes stay in the evening where I'm working alone and that's productive too

this is basically what im after

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

I also know personally a guy who got away with paying an offshore team 30% of his salary to do 90% of his job

yeah idk if the thing where you work two jobs is real but the thing where you offshore your job w/o your companies knowledge is 100% a real thing

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
my responsibilities are so dull and simple at my current job that it would be more work to explain them to an offshore team than to just do them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

work lesser, not smarter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have mixed feelings on it. i like wfh because it lets me focus more, but i hate it because i'm paying for my company's office space and also it only enhances my social anx and makes me feel real weird going out to do anything

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i worked from home (100% remote) for about 7 years and it broke me in several fundamental ways.

rotor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 11, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been around 50% remote for the last couple years, I really like it but I haven't been able to figure out a way to work from home and exercise, I'm afraid if I went 100% I'd get fat[ter]

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Showing up at 9 high on endorphins, giving no fucks :respek:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Bloody posted:

does anybody else work remotely

i plan to op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

i worked from home (100% remote) for about 7 years and it broke me in several fundamental ways.

tell me the ways

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

rotor posted:

it doesn't matter where you do it, working isn't cool.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

theadder posted:

tell me the ways

well for one I started posting on somethingawful

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

I have mixed feelings on it. i like wfh because it lets me focus more, but i hate it because i'm paying for my company's office space and also it only enhances my social anx and makes me feel real weird going out to do anything

my thinking is that its kinda a cost sharing w/ my employer. they pay for my computer, desk, chair, accessories, and internet service and i get to live anywhere in like 5 timezones. i pay for the square footage and hvac and whatever but i think i come out ahead on the deal

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

well for one I started posting on somethingawful

oh no

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I did mwf wfh and tu/th in-office at a previous job and it was the most productive I’d ever been. I could organize my schedule around being in the office and having most of my meetings those two days and then having a nice stretch of quiet time to work on stuff when out

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah half in, half remote is good

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wotking remotely or remotely working!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
sometimes i work at home but my work laptop (surface pro 4) is of the devil so i emailed myself the needful remote desktop links and just use my computer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Home is for me not my boss

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor tell me more of your descent into madness I'm not even a full year in and I can't imagine going back to an open Floorplan hellscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the shining but the ghosts are your coworkers calling you while you try to work