Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

current remote status: wearing my underpants, wrapping up for the day. time to commute to the kitchen to start dinner. this will take five seconds

my current remote status is: wearing a bathrobe and posting in yospos. just commuted from the living room after cooking lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my office is entirely work from home until we can figure what the hell is going on with this coronavirus

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I frequently work with devices and taking them home is impractical.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah i bet clown cars aren’t really street legal

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

since like half of the posters here work for apple you might not be too far off

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Management posted:

I frequently work with devices and taking them home is impractical.

same

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is there a better headset than the voyager focus uc yet?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Apple™ AirPods™ Pro™

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bloody posted:

Apple™ AirPods™ Pro™

lmbo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

is there a better headset than the voyager focus uc yet?

the high end sony or bose anc headsets are good for not hearing your coworkers at work and getting sweet tunes at home

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my home office is near our den and the central air system so it helps with some background noise here, too

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

are the AirPods pro any good?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

BONGHITZ posted:

noone knows

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

also probably not because apple does not make items meant to fit in human ears

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

the high end sony or bose anc headsets are good for not hearing your coworkers at work and getting sweet tunes at home
the plantronics voyager focus uc has nose canceling, dozens of hours of battery life, easy muting with visual feedback on the screen and the dongle, an actual microphone plus it pairs with your phone and computer at the same time

get out with your consumer toys

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

BONGHITZ posted:

they're outstanding

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

President Beep posted:

they didnt until they made the airpods pro

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qirex posted:

the plantronics voyager focus uc has nose canceling, dozens of hours of battery life, easy muting with visual feedback on the screen and the dongle, an actual microphone plus it pairs with your phone and computer at the same time

on-ear headphones are a dealbreaker tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

on-ear headphones are a dealbreaker tho

unless you have lots of complicated piercings they should be fine, they're not the clamp on kind the weight rests on your head

the 8200 uc is over ear and has the same software but is like 3x as heavy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

now I'm picturing beep at the orchard trying to stuff a Macintosh in his ear

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

now I'm picturing beep at the orchard trying to stuff a Macintosh in his ear

please do not spoil my upcoming role as orr in the kalamazoo community theater stage production of catch 22.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Bloody posted:

they're outstanding

im using them right now op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

please do not spoil my upcoming role as orr in the kalamazoo community theater stage production of catch 22.

Now I'm picturing beep at the office trying to stuff a Macintosh in his ear

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
finally the future the 1970s promised

pram
Jun 10, 2001
still dont live in a dystopian dome city though so not really

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I bought a pair for my sibling, I'm glad I made the right choice

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i wfh 4 days a week, usually try to skip the 5th day and wfh then too. my coworkers are cats and they don't care about my shoes

it whips rear end

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
how did y'all find your remote jobs?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

HappyHippo posted:

i literally answered a help wanted ad in a physical newspaper, hth

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

#remote-jobs in https://randsinrepose.com/welcome-to-rands-leadership-slack/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

i have plantronics wiretooth headphones and they poo poo the bed but in a way where making GBS threads the bed is desirable. that is to say they’re fuckin good and recommend them to every man woman and child I meet

I also don’t get to work from home. in fact my job is so fundamentally different I might as well be a firefighter as far as my ability to do my job from home goes. except firefighters save lives i just prolong the suffering of the already miserable

if I crashed in a burning wreck on the way to work not only would my own life be improved but the needless extended sufferings of the elderly would be unextended, leading to an overall net decrease in the worlds suffering and lame-assness

I look forward to one day things between like way better. it possibly does get better right? coz i’m slowly starting to think i’m not actually gonna win the lottery

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m sitting eating my lunch overhearing a customer ask what megagrams their dose is. that’s called tons lady ffs 🤯 i’ll take 4 megagrams of arsenic intrathecal stat pretty please

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

lmao

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

i literally answered a help wanted ad in a physical newspaper, hth

but before the internet surely

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

theadder posted:

but before the internet surely

it was in 1997 so idk you tell me

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ill let u make that determination op

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

HappyHippo posted:

First one I found through a friend, and I took a massive paycut to join their lovely startup.

After a year of that I applied to a place someone mentioned in the interviewing thread in YOSPOS.

I've been working remote for two years now and it rules. I'm in an office right now for a few weeks with some of my coworkers and it's a nice thing to have for a few weeks a couple times a year. After months of remote only work going into the office for a bit is actually kind of nice (not nice enough to want to do it for more than a few weeks a year though lol).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Stackoverflow has a Remote Only button, that had some of the best postings. Otherwise there are some good sites, remoteok etc

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Agh had not seen this thread.

Been working fully remote for over 10 years now. It's currently -33C/-27F and I don't have to go out.

Re: headsets, I have an arctis pro wireless headset which I got because I wanted something wireless that did not block external sounds too much (I'm at home and want to hear a doorbell or phone ring) with a good microphone quality, and it really rules.

When on the road I have Shure SE215 which block a couple dozen decibels without any battery, and came with two cables, one of which has a built-in microphone that works well for work stuff in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

plantronics makes good stuff. not least are the only bluetooth products which i have ever owned which have been entirely without issue, even when dealing with really lovely bluetooth stacks (i.e. all of them)