Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Agh had not seen this thread.

Been working fully remote for over 10 years now. It's currently -33C/-27F and I don't have to go out.

Re: headsets, I have an arctis pro wireless headset which I got because I wanted something wireless that did not block external sounds too much (I'm at home and want to hear a doorbell or phone ring) with a good microphone quality, and it really rules.

When on the road I have Shure SE215 which block a couple dozen decibels without any battery, and came with two cables, one of which has a built-in microphone that works well for work stuff in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The Management posted:

dude join us in #coolpeopleonly, we’re making some important decisions. no narcs.

it's that, but on an unofficial chat client

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

echinopsis posted:

plus reality doesn’t record conversations like that unless they’re literally recorded. text conversations are the exact opposite, always recorded unless they’re definitely erased which is easier said than done often.

if you stop paying for slack it forgets p. fast

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you just hate video chat because it forces you to look at the other person's face rather than staring at their feet like you would usually do

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

be bold and just plainly say "can we do this over a channel that cannot be subpoenaed?"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tk posted:

Apparently I’m going to be working from home for the next three weeks. I usually run out of motivation after two days out of the office so this is going to be interesting.

this is only because your work is fundamentally not motivating and you only do it out of habit and peer pressure otherwise

be your true self from home

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

also:

- just get a god drat routine with strict schedule: get dressed before work, have meals and breaks at fixed time periods, and keep at it
- take time to report the things you are doing to coworkers; overcommunication is the name of the game when remote
- get a distraction-free environment for things (and block some URLs where you'd lose too much time if you can) if you can't keep yourself from watching tv or playing videogames
- make use of the benefits: you control temperature, got your own fridge and kitchen, have no commute, can listen to whatever music out loud, etc.
- you also control the lighting and may have the ability to open windows, so do some additional environmental control because you just can and you should as well

The thing you can't help easily is getting good audio equipment (a solid wireless headset that doesn't tie you to your computer) and good home office equipment (a good chair or a sit/stand desk with a decent monitor), but they also make a huge difference in terms of not being dead after 2 hours of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

one of my coworkers had his very young daughter frequently waltz in during meetings, and he’d take the time to introduce her as she liked just sitting and watching people talk.

after a while she’d hear the hangouts sound, pop in and just go “is this James???” in that small voice because that was her favorite coworker of his and she liked to watch em.