Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Agreed op it's the best work related decision I've ever made. Happier, fitter, more productive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I have a 10 minute walk to "work" (a co-working space) and sometimes I go to another country for a month and work from there instead.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

graph posted:

i would have to do this. i cannot work from home

It's great you can choose your co-working space for noise level, proximity, niceness (the small ones are normally way better than most offices). Then you don't even have to go if you feel like staying at home.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

how did y'all find your remote jobs?

Stackoverflow has a Remote Only button, that had some of the best postings. Otherwise there are some good sites, remoteok etc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Yeah when someone sends a message that sounds a little controversial your reply is just "/zoom"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Don't do that if you work at a bank or something they'll flag "call me" messages

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

wide stance posted:

I'd think travelling while working remote would be prohibitive due to the lovely wi-fi everywhere and time zone differences.

I do this, you can't just treat it like a holiday (it isn't!) and have to plan around the fact that you need somewhere good to work. I tend to stay 1-2 months in a place and almost always go to a coworking space 4 days out of 5. This works out great as you get to pick you appartment so that it has a nice walk to the coworking space, and ime good coworking spaces are just as pleasant as top tier offices, mainly because you have to choose to go there. I also tend to stay within 1-2 hours of my teams office hours, but that isn't too hard a burden as we're in Europe so that's still plenty of cool places.

For example, today I'm going to have a quick sandwich for lunch with my partner and then we're going to go for a half hour walk on the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bloody posted:

does your partner also work remotely?

yes we are card carrying millennials