Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

is it against the law to tell a job I'm wfh and then go do another job to get double paid or is it just a really bad idea

there's an apocryphal story from the first dotcom bubble about a guy who would show up to work at job 1, put his jacket on his chair then go to job 2 a half mile away. he would show up for meetings and answer email from job 1 but didn't really do anything and it took several months for anyone to notice

I also know personally a guy who got away with paying an offshore team 30% of his salary to do 90% of his job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been around 50% remote for the last couple years, I really like it but I haven't been able to figure out a way to work from home and exercise, I'm afraid if I went 100% I'd get fat[ter]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is there a better headset than the voyager focus uc yet?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bloody posted:

Apple™ AirPods™ Pro™

lmbo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

the high end sony or bose anc headsets are good for not hearing your coworkers at work and getting sweet tunes at home
the plantronics voyager focus uc has nose canceling, dozens of hours of battery life, easy muting with visual feedback on the screen and the dongle, an actual microphone plus it pairs with your phone and computer at the same time

get out with your consumer toys

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

on-ear headphones are a dealbreaker tho

unless you have lots of complicated piercings they should be fine, they're not the clamp on kind the weight rests on your head

the 8200 uc is over ear and has the same software but is like 3x as heavy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got both my plantronics headsets on ebay for like half price, there's tons of new ones people are dumping probably because their it department ordered too many

voyager focus: on ear but more comfortable, lighter, charging cradle, real boom mic, can go on either side, more fragile, wireless only, mic makes you look like a call center monkey
voyager 8200: over ear, better isolation, much heavier/bulkier but feels way more durable, can use 3.5mm in a pinch, inferior voice quality thanks to beamforming bs

if I had to pick one it'd be the focus but I'm not getting rid of my 8200 for one. there's the 4400 now which looks more modern but lacks noise cancellation

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

power botton posted:

I like video chat more with that new zoom virtual backgrounds poo poo and got a bunch of cheesy stock videos/photos so every meeting im just chilling on the beach or moon or some cool 80s "COMPUTERS!!!!!" type background.

buy a $15 greenscreen and get really weird

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the chicken scene from baraka

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

echinopsis posted:

is deep dream at the place yet where you can just get it to fake your work life while you spend time at the mall or something else

if your job is making disturbing pictures of giraffes all day then probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah but your boss is going to know what those can do before you will since the main point of the "ai" exercise is employing fewer humans