Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

xrunner posted:

They should rename it banana flavored walnut bread. I know it’s longer but that would hopefully make idiots stop making it without the walnuts. Too many people do this

I don't put walnuts in it, I put mini chocolate chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

I don't put walnuts in it, I put mini chocolate chips.

This is pretty much full justification for the US Marine Corps to take control of your kitchen and prevent further banana crimes and also restore democracy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

gently caress walnuts.

“Walnut” in Latin is juglans.

“Ju”– referring to the chief god Jupiter and “glans” meaning, well, “glans”.

Walnuts are Jupiter’s dickhead.

If you dig deeper, you will be disappointed. Anatomy referenced botany and not vice versa. “Glans” meant “acorn” before it was used to refer to the head of the penis. Walnuts are just godly acorns.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Ok yeah, chocolate chips in banana bread is way worse than walnuts. :yikes:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

There's an enormous amount of content in DK64. If you were going to only have one game, I'd say that's pretty good.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Going to the grocer to consider the reams of delicious fruit on offer and deciding to eat a banana is like visiting Paris specifically to drink from the open sewers

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

the banana is perhaps the perfect companion to the crème de peanüt

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know of any fluted or chequered bananas, but there some weird shapes out there.

‘Pitogo’ has little spherical fruits.

Fruits of the ‘Praying Hands’ cultivar have their peels all fused together.

Praying hands ones are great, love'm. We should work towards growing a banana fruit that looks like a humanoid, instead of going to space, in my opinion.

The Chode bananas are fine, I guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

There's an enormous amount of content in DK64. If you were going to only have one game, I'd say that's pretty good.

You could say the same about MMOs. Like over half of it is just tedious arbitrary collectables in different colours and minigames ramped up to increasing unfairness. (BEAVER BOTHER)

There's five playable characters yeah, but they're all basically identical except for what buttons they can interact with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xrunner posted:

They should rename it banana flavored walnut bread. I know it’s longer but that would hopefully make idiots stop making it without the walnuts. Too many people do this

This is true.

Here is the recipe I use.

I transcribed it just now, so let me know if anything seems off.

Ingredients

All‐purpose flour: 250 g (2 cups)

Baking soda: 5 g (1 tsp)

Baking powder: 4 g (1 tsp)

Salt: 6 g (1 tsp koshering salt)

Cinnamon: 2 g (¾ tsp). Worth grating from sticks.

Eggs: 2, large

Bananas, overripe: 500 g (4 Cavendish bananas)

Granulated white sugar: 200 g (1 cup)

Vanilla extract: 4 g (5 ml or 1 tsp)

Butter: 100 g (½ cup or 1 stick)

Walnuts: at least 50 g (½ cup when chopped) I mix in more at the end till I like the look of it and have never recorded how much that amounts to, perhaps double.

Chocolate chips (optional): 50 g or as desired

Oil of choice to grease the pan

Procedure

Preheat oven to 180 °C (350°F)

Stir flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

Whisk eggs in large, flat‐bottomed bowl.

Add bananas to eggs, mash.

Add sugar and vanilla.

Stir in melted butter.

Add dry ingredients. Stir.

Add chopped walnuts, and, if desired, chocolate chips. Stir.

Pour batter into greased pan. 10 cm × 20 cm or 4 in. × 8 in. is good.

Bake for 70 minutes, or till toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.

Do not undercook. It’s the easiest way to ruin it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

Platystemon posted:

“Walnut” in Latin is juglans.

“Ju”– referring to the chief god Jupiter and “glans” meaning, well, “glans”.

Walnuts are Jupiter’s dickhead.

If you dig deeper, you will be disappointed. Anatomy referenced botany and not vice versa. “Glans” meant “acorn” before it was used to refer to the head of the penis. Walnuts are just godly acorns.

nah, you just need to dig deeper. they were associated with juno as jupiter's wife and part of the roman wedding ceremony was throwing walnuts at the couple for fertility

also at least one and propably several women conceive with various edible nuts in greek and roman myth, ancient polytheistic religions were not inclined to let something that looks like a dick go to waste

strictly speaking though the romans also just loved eating them so the name referred to a myth that the gods ate nothing but walnuts when they walked the earth

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone loves the factoid that ‘avocado’ means ‘testicle’.

The truth is that the word was used for both the fruit and the body part long before the Spanish arrived. We cannot untangle the etymology and say which usage came first.

‘Orchid’ did come from the Latin for ‘testicle’. Nice one, Victorian botanists.

The second great factoid about the avocado is that they used to be spread by extinct megafauna and would have followed those megafauna into extinction.

Doubtful.

Wild avocados can be found looking like this:

Those are easily spread by birds. There is no need to invoke giant sloths.

The theory may apply to papaya, where we know that wild specimens are very large.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
there may be no need to invoke giant sloths but I’m going to invoke them anyway. I also might evoke them, you can’t stop me

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

Everyone loves the factoid that ‘avocado’ means ‘testicle’.

The truth is...

Correct usage of factoid. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

Drunkboxer posted:

there may be no need to invoke giant sloths but I’m going to invoke them anyway. I also might evoke them, you can’t stop me

please ensure a proper care and safety environment before evoking charismatic megafauna