Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
A few years ago my sister and I were reminiscing over a playthrough of Donkey Kong 64, a game I'd spent countless hours of our youth exploring in novel 3D but had been revealed by time as a plodding incoherent scavenger hunt - a position she had always held. I remarked to her "Imagine how bad it'd suck if you lived in the Soviet Union, stood in line three hours in the snow for this game, and this was your only game like it". She replied "I mean, I guess I'd loving love it in that case. Hahahahah, wow, maybe communism has its advantages" That thought has stuck with me ever since - that a lack of overinundation retains your perspective to appreciate what you have. It's truly vast cosmic irony that a bunch of tree apes developed over millions of years to put in my hands this amusement - not even key to survival and perpetuation - of manipulating flashing lights to inhabit an entirely alien world. Against such a sweep does it matter that I could be fractionally more stimulated by Banjo-Kazooie? Only in that I know it.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It has some deliciously coloured varieties

That first one actually exists in real life; it's even said to have the consistency and taste of vanilla ice cream

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

‘Cavendish’ itself may not be on the shelves forever. Up to a quarter of banana growers’ expenses go toward controlling the black sigatoka fungus. Organic farmers spend even more money slashing and burning virgin rainforest to create a temporarily sterile environment in which they can grow an Organic® crop. Once the fungus inevitably moves in, they spray shiploads of fungicide everywhere, give up their organic certification on the property, and cut down more rainforest elsewhere to meet the demand for ~organic~ nanners.
I enjoyed the whole post of course, but especially this since I only understood slash and burn farming from the fertilization angle. To continue to be totally out of my depth, exactly how far-off science fiction is genetic companies cracking fungus-resistant bananas? Is that the sort of thing that might conceivably happen in my lifetime?

It's wild how sterile and assembly-line uniform we've crafted this fruit. I guess you can look at the Dachshund for a wilder trip over generational husbandry but there's always something compelling about food mysticism, whether it be the channer obsessed with soybeans as why there's such trans visibility these days or the corporations hoping their new miracle berry goes over as hard as the one three years ago. Plus nobody's ever knocked over a government to keep the weiner dogs flowing.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

World War Mammories posted:

I would've got 100% on dk64, except there was a bug where if you didn't collect some banana medals in the final level before exiting the room, they became incorporeal and you could never collect them again. then like a year later I did it all again and was careful to get those medals. essentially I got 101% twice. the residual psychic trauma is a part of why I am so hosed up today. ama
It's shameful to admit but I got stymied as a kid having to beat the classic arcade game to face K. Rool so I played it twice, extensively, as well. The first time my father ever showed anger towards me was when I screamed at the minigame where you herd the beavers into the hole that it was a cocksucker

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 13, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

really queer Christmas posted:

I got every single collectible and every single thing in that game... except for one golden banana - the banana from lanky rematching the bunny. I spent hours trying to get it and gave up.
I think that race would be more infamous to this day had it not been overshadowed by this motherfucker a year later