Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Ooh oufff man I feel your pain.

With my kid I have discovered that the moment a ride scares him or puts him off, that's it, don't try any other. No matter how gentle they are he'll want in and then freak out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ that sounds like an awesome reccomendation

Will my almost 3yo ever go to sleep quietly? Not really asking for advice, as we have read books and have a set of rules and techniques, but.... will it ever not take 90min and a lot of just sitting there? (And it's funny companion, finding him around the house).

I'd like one hope, please!

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Oh man,and it's not just that the kid is sick.

I have ironhealth a.d,before having kids,got sick once every decade. That's with lots of travel, crowded conventions, etc.

And now I catch whatever my kid gets from kindergarten?? What gives!?

At leastit hits me less hard than the rest of the family so I can keep the ship sailing.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So yesterday I was putting my older to sleep, with a tony on.

A song he likes came up and he was singing/mouthing it, partially asleep.

Since I was still soothing him I said "oh this is a noce song." Then he said "Yes. It's like you."

And the floodgates have opened. I havent stopped crying randomly since yesterday. drat man. Like I know I need more sleep but also... drat. I'm going to buy myself a gold medal.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

I can't wait to put my kid into martial arts so he can learn to go someplace and listen to an adult for an hour. That's a valuable skill.

Yeah our 3yo just started Taekwondo, it's just good for them to

- Do something physical
- In groups
- w/o me (as much asI have to provide encouragement and sometimes jump in and kickand move when he wants to give up).

But boy, it's amusing when they all stay in a row or sit or w/e and and he decides to regale them with a rousing rendition of "the wheels on the bus".

Vvvv that is an excellent idea!

Dawncloack has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Mar 26, 2024

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ my kid just hit that age of playing at 3, and now he goes around the playground going "Hey I want to play!" And it kills me a bit bc his peers aren't there yet and the older kids don't care about him.
--
I would like to add my two cents to "keep your kid in immersion."

I am a language person professionally, and I'm part of a three language household now.

The thing is, exposure to another language and culture is about being exposed to different people and appreciating difference, of course. But languages change something fundamental in the brain. Again as a language person the Russian proverb "learn a new language, acquire a new soul." is self-evident.

Check out the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis to get a more scientific idea of what I mean. In linguistics this hypothesis is considered obsolete for research purposes but the base truth remains.

Now, I am aware a math person and a visual arts person will tell you the same about their thing thar's legit. I am not saying languages are better.

But perhaps immersion is a defined, clear thing and, as other has pointed, the gifted class might be good or not.

Again my two cents.

Dawncloack has issued a correction as of 08:59 on Mar 29, 2024

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Oh boy, it's not my go-to swear, but I certainly had a moment of realization one day when I said no to something and my kid got mad and called me "annoying".

Yes, I am not a morning person and I might have said that to him, exasperated, while under the 7am barrage of words. :(

That said, heads up, because it isn't just swears. My kid wanted to play "You are me and I am papa" and it took me a second to realize, with stark clarity, what is the most common thing I say to him.

Which, hey, I passed that one test (my phrase seems to be "It's ok, don't worry, I'm here with you") but it was still a shock to realize.

My best friend's is, apparently "would you just take it easy/tone it down?".

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Any advice on making a 3yo enjoy taekwondo?

My kid doesmt want to go to activities but enjoys them when he's there.

We enrolled him in tkd (twice a week, 45 min, so chill) because in general I think it's good for him, and because my childhood sucked like if the Hoover dam was a Hoover because of adhd (among many other poo poo my kid is not/will not experience) so I want to get ahead of that. I'm projecting, I know.

But it's an increasing slog, and he spends most of the lesson singing to himself and making faces at himself in the mirror.

I also have the lovely experience of being forced to do activities for waaaaaay too long, and it becoming a contest of wills with my mom, so I am not going to do that. No screaming "you are going to do that even if it kills you!!!1!". If he keeps not liking it we'll do something else.

But... any tricks that could entice him?

So far I've tried joining in, leaving the class, talk it out with a comic book he likes which shows a bit of tkd, and my next move is to try a different branch (it's a chain).

TIA.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Those are all good points and as I said, I am not going to force him and turn into something he dreads, I've been there.

Just, the minimum subscription was 4 months, so I gotta give it a college try.

HootTheOwl posted:

Sounds like he'd have more fun just going to a mirror

we have mirror at home.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ thanks for that

KirbyKhan posted:

Just gotta adjust expectations. At 3 years old the goal is to just listen to a non-parent adult and do the movements when instructed. If he can memorize and practice the set his instructor then he can get a cute lil belt.

This is absolutely the limit of my expectations.

Yeah we might give it some week or two but we are very ready to pull the plug and try later.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

El Mero Mero posted:

grandparents chat:

we’ve got one set of grandparents who are old and keep promising things and then delivering 1/3rd of what they promise, leaving us in the lurch.

oh god, my inlaws are here and I feel your pain.

Like,my parents don't promise anything, they are also not physically capable of really chasing a kid around, or much if it isn't quiet activities.

But my inlaws are in excellent shape, and keep coming super eager about how much they'll help. And they try! But they are duds.

Yesterday I come out of 30 minutes of putting the baby to sleep, and I find my toddler covered in pee, and playing around, instead of in bed.

"The toddler peed. What do I do?"

So in the last half hour changing the toddler, pulling off the sheets or examining the 3 (three!) Drawers in the room see if there were any clean sheets were unfathomable activities?

At this point I just want them to not say that they'll help. And certainly not the only example of they being useless about following simple instructions, or even drat looking at water bottles for a second to see if they were for babies or what. They came to me the other day with a crying baby who was thirsthy as heck because they had been holding a toddler botle upside down, as a baby bottle, to the baby. The plastic straw was up in the air, above the water. For 15minutes or so.

God wth.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Wth does "glorify biting" mean?

Also don't tell me if it will scar me.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
My FIL just this morning tried to calm the baby in all the ways he could, including sitting him in the high chair for food.

I take over and immediately change his poopy diaper. He comes to me lates and says "was his diaper full"? And when I say yes he tells me that he had tried to guess if it was that but couldn't figure it out.

-"Sure but you can do a diaper check"
-"Oh but that's more work"

At this point I'd be happy if they just said "sorry didn't think of that!" Than hearing the weak, harebrained excuses they come up with for things, man.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ that sounds rough, I am sorry. "Funny" thing is, we are in Central Europe and we are on the same boat, recurring colds for everyone In and around kindergarten.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ after seeing how fast they can turn a nicely cleaned room into a post tornado landscape, and how I felt, I started wondering if that was why some of the adults in my life would absolutely lose it with me.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
My wife was out yesterday at dinnertime.

My inlaws bought pizza for themselves and they sat and ate stoically as my older had the understandable meltdown.

Like, you don't have to offer (and I didnt ask, obvs) but not even thinking what effect that's going to have? Changing a single thing of your plan so I dont have to deal with a nuclear meltdown?

Dawncloack has issued a correction as of 10:18 on May 4, 2024

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Struensee posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with them?

They are intensely, and undiagnosedly, autistic, is my theory.

"We eat pizza on Friday. And it was Friday. So we ate pizza." this was, word by word, their reasoning.

In conversation with my wife btw it came out that they think I told them not to give him pizza*. Which is funny because then why did you?

* I was trying to signal that he has to learn not everything is for him.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

Anything can be gamified. Once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^ that sucks a ton. Remember to make special mom-toddler time, and it will (hopefully) pass. I went through the same and now it's fine. Partly is also toddler maturity.

drat toddler, not seeing all the invisible bitchwork your mom puts in!