Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
Well poo poo, my three year old who does not nap went down hard at the end of her quiet time and has now slept for four hours. I can wake her up now, or hope to ride it out until morning. Neither scenario is going to work out. I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anybody else looking at covid stats and letting their dreams of sending the kids to school die?

We're still out of daycare after using pandemic unemployment as paternity leave. That's ending but I don't give a gently caress and will survive on beans if I have to to power through until there's an approved vaccine. I'm also keeping an eye on Pfizer and Moderna trials but the closest one is still 600 miles away.

Said trial is 20 miles from my antivax brother's house. :argh:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Breakfast variety tip: Trader Joe's has a Shakshuka starter that's real good for $2. You add your own eggs and extras (tradition is pita and feta, but I find it's really good with scoopable tortilla chips) Easily feeds three.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Just take the kid to a real life pokemon battle (cock fight)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
It's too advanced for a 10 year old without help, but no 9/11discussion is complete without Osama bin Ladin's Declaration of War against Saudi Arabia/the U.S. Weirdly enough, hating freedom(s) is not one of his reasons for attacking the U.S..

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Jul 30, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation

babypolis posted:

honest question, why care at all? feels trying to fend off an incoming tsunami with a bucket

I signed away my own privacy so willingly that I'd like to give my kid at least a fighting chance at an informed decision.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Meanwhile I have to be constantly on guard as my oblivious but well-meaning parents shower my kid with books purchased based on cover art that launder all sorts of toxic poo poo.

Thanks for the segregation book, nana and pop-pop.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation

Elissimpark posted:

Is preschool like kindergarten? Or is it the grade before grade 1?

Preschool happens before kindergarten which is the grade before grade 1.

My kindergarten teacher was named Ms. Gardiner. :parrot:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation

Elissimpark posted:

So is kindergarten proper school, or just school lite there?

My 5yo is in kindergarten, but starts prep next year (it goes prep, 1-6 for primary school here in Australia, then 7-12 for secondary), with prep being 'proper' school.

I imagine it varies from location to location but generally kindergarten is the first proper school year and hosted at the same elementary school the child will attend grades 1-(5/6) at. The teacher is licensed etc. "Preschool" is more nebulous and less regulated and can be anything from "our daycare also has some reading prep" to actual school prep.

In the before times we were really excited to get our toddler lined up for Montessori preschool but welp.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
That sounds very Calgary

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Daycare/preschool is amazing for development and in any other time I'd recommend it even for a stay at home parent because varied play and interaction with varied peers is so important.

Right now though...yesh.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Doing an activity with the three year old wherein one places cut out eyes and mouths on a blank face to produce different emotions. I start off with happy and sad to show her how it works and she immediately busts out "jealous" and "shame."

Going great!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation

BonHair posted:

This, but it's dino documentaries for kids. Hearing him explain what happened when the meteor hit including phrases like "and not only that" was super weird until we noticed the source. Just two minutes of monologue about mass extinction.

He is also absolutely not taking questions or comments before finishing, thank you very much.

What docs are these? My kid can run lines from Dino Dana. Gotta switch it up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation

Dreylad posted:

does this make sense? any tips on picking some up second-hand?

We'd just load up at the thrift store, especially when they get full up and do a 25c per item deal. Books too. Kids grow out of stuff so fast that they're almost always in near pristine condition.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Middle names are where you go hog wild with whatever dumb poo poo that you just have to pass on after opting for a sensible first name. If the kid grows into a cool middle name, great. If not, it's not like they ever have to use it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Fort Taber, in New Bedford, is less than an hour's drive and is huge, cool and historical. I seem to recall that you could climb around on parts of the old forts and seawalls. Also perfect for kite flying.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Love to have autonomy skirmishes break out at 1 a.m. Three year old asks for the water bottle a foot from her bed and hell yeah let's spend 5 hours screaming for help rather than spending the literal 20 seconds of effort it would take to get it yourself.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Three is a hard age for me because I still want to comfort and help, and the kid is smart enough to know that so if she's not getting a mechanical thing she wants done (Get me my water bottle) she'll switch to asking for emotional comfort (I'm sad, I need a hug!).

It's a judgement call to me because I'm trying to guess what lesson she's in the process of learning. I want her to know that her parents are there when she needs them, but I very much want to make sure that "scream louder/longer = results" isn't something that sticks.

Can't wait to find out if I'm making good choices long after it's too late to change!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Oct 19, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
My kid enjoys her playdates so much that when she sees me coming to pick her up from her friend's house she locks the door, runs into the backroom, and hides under the bed.

Feels bad.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Oh for sure. The kid feeling safe and secure enough to say "gently caress off dad, I've got this whole world thing" is something I'm immensely proud of.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Halloween plus: three year old was very into trivia about her triceratops costume, especially it's horns and boney frill.

Halloween minus: three year old using said horns and frill when she gleefully ran up and head-butted a girl in a T-Rex costume.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Does anyone have recommendations for learning tablet games for preschoolers?

The only real winner I've found so far is Teach Your Monster to Read but we're still a far cry from the Young Ladies Illustrated Primer I demand.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Just signed my three year old up for a Moderna trial :hellyeah:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Three year old just described herself as "odd like a theropod.'

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
drum kit

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Three year old gets clinical trial dose #2 today. Hooray for a 75% chance that we've protected her a little bit!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation

brugroffil posted:

:coronatoot:

we're debating trying to sign up for the Moderna clinical trials out of Lurie's Children Hospital in Chicago

I highly recommend it. Phase 3 trials going on right now are the likely EUA candidate. The doctor's visits are a bit hairy because of the blood draw and shot, but no more so than any other procedure for a toddler.

Also, we get paid for :siren: medical experiments :siren: on our child so it's a few grand dumped into her college fund.

Edit: they also dumped a boatload of Moderns promotional swag on us so my kid is looking stylish in branded bright yellow Moderna n95s and a backpack that announces to our lovely red state that she got ~the clot shot~.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Dec 15, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
My threenager reports that she is "too sad" to flush the toilet.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Are the Boxcar Children problematic? I remember thinking the books were cool as a kid but almost every other piece of old kids media I've found has been hosed up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
My three year old is in a Moderna trial and is handling either the vaccine or the placebo nicely.

Dunno if they're still enrolling, but we got in by literally calling the local location listed on this website.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
If anyone has a three year old and needs to keep them occupied for hours this Dinosaur Fossil Dig Kit is amazing.

They give them a clay brick to dismantle with a little fake scalpel and brush it rules.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
We were thiiiiiiiis close to putting our three year old back into daycare but gently caress it, waiting until we be sure she's vaccinated.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
I just visited our kid's eventual elementary school which was rebuilt from the ground up about five years ago. It has anti-shooter architecture. There are cameras on all exterior autolocking doors and the main entrance is a mantrap. Six unlocked doors enter into a vestibule with six heavy locked doors on the other side. There's a receptionist in a side room connected to the vestibule by bullet-proof glass and a heavy steel shutter. I imagine she has a button that drops the shutters and locks the external doors.

Credit to the designers in that it seems reasonably effective but unobtrusive. My wife didn't even notice.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Three year old has organically named hide and seek of stuffed animals "chasing the dragon."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
It's amazing how fast my three year old
1. Learned to enable wifi on her tablet
2. Learned to pretend she doesn't
3. Learned to low-key turn it off if I walk over to her

It's going to be a long 15 years.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Oh yeah, she gets 15 minutes twice a day if she feeds the cats and cleans her room. She hasn't figured her way out of Amazon's walled garden yet.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation

brugroffil posted:

For a little bit older kids, my daughter's been loving this book:

Got this for my three year old and not only does she love it, she now demands I gaslight her when reading all her other stories too.

A++ would incept that adults are not to be trusted again

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Three year old is stewing in a time out by pensively staring out the window and repeatedly hitting the button on an M&M "toy." Said toy's battery is dying so the soundtrack is distorted rendition of the opening measures of the dance of the sugarplum fairies.

I may already be dead

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
That signs a keeper, also the kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Another parent at the playground just asked me to sign a release for my kid to appear on her kid's Instagram.

Lmao gently caress no