Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

loquacius posted:

If you have a young child, for many people the choice between a single-income and dual-income household is wholly aesthetic, because the parent that earns less will be making about as much money, total, as it costs to get the childcare necessary for a dual-income household.

This is actually considered an intended policy outcome for conservatives because they know that the parent who earns less is usually the woman and so it's an economic bludgeon to restore the Natural Order back into the Family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

meanolmrcloud posted:

my kiddo is 22 months old with a rapidly expanding vocabulary, so I get where you are coming from, but is it possible you are mishearing or mistoddler-translating? my daycare provider was concerned about our domestic situation because my daughter was saying something repeatedly that sounded like ‘get away’ or ‘go away’ in time it resolved more clearly into something else.

but yea, if that’s clearly what she is trying to say then that’s pretty concerning.

Also it's just as likely that she picked it up from another kid in daycare as from a teacher. The words sexy and busty aren't exactly rarified slurs or swears or anything and might be used casually in other households.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

carcinization in action

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

just celebrated our first month with the infant. Everyone keeps telling us we’re over the hurdle. it’s just all easier from here, right? right?!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

phones are poison.

I think "screen-time" is a separate item entirely though and my family lives all around the world and we spend a ton of time on zoom and my kid is going to see me staring at a screen for 8 hours a day doing work so idk...I've kinda baked it in and won't be avoiding them.

I will though be keeping phones away and doing everything in my power to eliminate advertising from reaching him.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I also admittedly grew up mainlining unfiltered internet throughout my childhood, which included a firehose of insanely inappropriate content (rotten and ogrish come to mind). It certainly wasn't right that I was exposed to that and I don't want that for my kid whatsoever...but also I think the long-term impact of exposure to certain content is overstated.

None of it was really skinner-box tuned or high-speed as today, and there's a different dimension today too with how kids' peers are also publicly communicating their lives and drama around on social in a way that kinda makes school drama and trouble a 24/hour public event, rather than being able to be turned off after school ends.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So I’m on paternity leave and it’s pretty wild how weird it is for guys to do infant care out in the wild, even in the Bay Area.

If I show up to any storytime or infant group stuff I’m always the only guy and if I go with another mom we universally get asked if our kids are twins.

Also, if my kid starts crying for whatever reason like 4 moms swoop at me to help handle it, which, okay that’s nice but I got it ladies.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i wish i hadnt been circumsized so i could understand whats going on with my sons weird rear end dick

what?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

the worst blowout i ever had, there was such a big pile of poo poo on the floor i thought my son had taken his diaper off and just taken a dump. but no... basically his entire diaper region, front and back, was also coated in sludge. horrifying.

In my case it was my son being a legit poop magician. I went to remove his diaper and there was poop all the way up his back and then up to the front too, just completely caked into everything. His diaper was still on just fine and the outside of it was just completely covered.

The magic trick? The inside of the diaper was white as a sheet and just a little wet. :tinfoil:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

We use earth's best (because it's what the daycare uses). Looks like they're run by Hain's. You're absolutely right that that entire situation is hosed though and Earth's Best is some bougey $1.50 an ounce poo poo (that has the same ingredients as all the rest).

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

kecske posted:

I ised a set of Peltor ear defenders. Obviously don't put them on until the screaming is underway but it absolutely made it easier without having your frayed nerves aurally shredded.

Yeah ear muffs or noise cancelling headphones are the poo poo. There's a moment where you go "is it ethical to lower the volume on this infant?" and then you realize how much better you can care for them and calm em down when your entire body isn't resonating

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

and be ready for croup, croup sucks and is terrifying the first time you encounter it their temp can spike really fast and high.

Yeah we just went through our first round of croup. poo poo loving sucks.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

Imagine getting out posted by someone who can't read

they're the OG shitposters. We can only hope to re-attain the greatness that we all once had within us

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

price per hour is a stupid yard stick to calibrate against when you’re hiring someone for 2-6 hours once a month.

When you’re hiring by the task, not the hour don’t let the hourly wage guide you. better to find someone you like and let them set the rate. if it sounds criminal how they’re pricing themselves that’s a grey area about what to do.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

my daughter (15 months) is in many ways the perfect baby: she naps, she sleeps all night, goes to sleep on her own, almost never fussy, smiles a lot. except. boy does she hate diaper changes. it's a huge ordeal, one of us has to hold her down while the other one cleans her up, and it takes her like 20 minutes to calm down. agony.

i hope everyone is coping with spring forward today.

two things that we found to help a lot:

1) keep a set of small “high value” (blinker lights and sound) toys near the changing table that only come out during diaper time.

2) explaining to our guy that we’re going to change his diaper and otherwise narrating the whole process and asking him to help

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

we’re traveling right now with our 16 month old to visit my brother in Japan and his 3 kids (9, 7, 4) and it is loving bananas. they have an unhappy relationship so we keep getting pulled in as referees for their little stupid fights - meanwhile they do like 1 meal a day with the kids and then just go go go go from meltdown to meltdown until midnight and then restart around 11 the next day. We’re in the car with em and there’s usually 3 tvs running at max volume and a fight and the radio.

Our little guy with his fixed routines and bedtimes and quiet times and everything is surprisingly taking it in stride but definitely melts down by the end of the night every day.

I am absolutely losing my mind though and I’m getting the snip when I get home lol.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

grandparents chat:

we’ve got one set of grandparents who are old and keep promising things and then delivering 1/3rd of what they promise, leaving us in the lurch. They’re like we’ll babysit two days and then we book a hotel for a wedding and they let us know the day before they can only do 1 because babysitting is so hard and then we have to scramble to fill the gap last second.

Like, they love the idea of being grandparents but mostly because they can now have small talk to share with their other old friends.

the other grandparents we have (mine) are complete duds though and show up once a year, play a bit and then are like cool have fun peace. they don’t promise anything and we never expected anything though so for some reason it’s less frustrating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

/\/\/\ lol jesus

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

the question is how are they still alive. your spouse didnt kill them?

they’re lucky I didn’t need or want to go to this wedding that badly and I eventually intervened to save them and just skipped part of the wedding to take the kid for the pre-event day.