Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my 3 yr old told me I’m the king of humans and I replied we should abolish royalty and we are to be equal

she’s too young for this book probably

https://archive.org/details/StoriesAboutLenin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

"dad, what is cock?"

jesus take the wheel

my 4 yr old wanted to take my wife’s uterus and take an egg from her so she can have a baby

biology talk with preschoolers is wild

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

can trump during a possible lame duck get rid of the time change?

kids dgaf about it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I banned anything that involved kids playing with toys and blippi poo poo. my kid was addicted to pinkfong cocomelon and babybus.

her jam now is like kid science stuff which I’m ok with.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Good soup! posted:

It will be a while before my girl is able to navigate youtube and all that but the Elsagate poo poo had me shook as far as kid friendly stuff goes, is there a running list of things to absolutely avoid and stuff that would be ok for them to watch (beyond the obvious stupid poo poo trying to get them to buy poo poo or other useless content)

avoid baby shark at all costs

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

some plague rats posted:

I heard that paw patrol is fascist. What's up with that

the Asian produced kids shows are full of copaganda

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I talk more about mutual aid and how bad people make choices that hurt others

with regards to racism I talk about how bad people want to make some people’s lives hard

kinda like on those terms and then when she turns like 8 then it will be time to get a bit more detailed

I have friends that try to over explain poo poo like kids have adult brains ; have to use terms and words that reflect the worldview you have created for them

also I bought a ton of books that talk about it much better than me, they’re not too succ but I can probably write them all down tomorrow

a good one my kid likes right now is called we are water protectors and it’s about the Dakota access pipeline but told as a metaphor

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Here is the list of the books that I could find around the house. I may have omitted one or two.

A is for Activist
Counting on Community
Hug me
We are water protectors
Sulwe
If sharks disappeared
Anti racist baby
We are grateful
Fry bread
Here we are
The proudest blue
I have the right to be a child

Need some new ML books for kids lol. That market is wide open.

The Bacteria Book: The Big World of Really Tiny Microbes is also good if you want to talk about viruses with the kids

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

just remember you’re on the clock now, hydrate, read every day to them, high contrast images are great for babies

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Good soup! posted:

Officially a dad as of 45 minutes ago and I can't stop crying I am beyond happy

get than skin to skin bonding right now if you can

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

yeah I strongly moderate YouTube for my kid . I can’t imagine what a 4 yr old who has free reign watching YouTube is like.

for a while my kid liked watching the videos explaining medical stuff that hospitals would show for kids being treated for that condition, children’s hospital videos essentially

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Organic Lube User posted:

I used to be able to enjoy all sorts of gritty horror and psychodramas but now anything with a child in peril has the potential to gently caress me up. Still not sure I can get through Raised By Wolves. That first episode was grim.

yeah anything i watch with kids in peril now i'm like nope. i've had to put down books that have stuff like that, etc.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

yeah, at 6 months i started sleep training and it changed the game for us but I was a stay at home dad so I put in the work during the day.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

it’s a miracle my now 4 old hasn’t said a bad word she just gets mad at me and says I hope I make bad choices

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I don’t know if it’s much help but we bought a light that removes blue light so in the middle of the night when we had to feed the baby it didn’t disorient us

Nite-Nite Light Bulb. Natural Baby Sleep Aid. Promotes Healthy Sleeping Habits for Baby and Mother | Certified by The National Parenting Center. (e26 (Standard)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016K0W90C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_xFSdGb1WRNMY5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

only if I had Pluto TVs mst3k channel when ours was a baby! I ended up watching Kung fu and Miami vice reruns on El Rey.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Big Mad Drongo posted:

A Switch + games that can be played in short chunks was a godsend during the first few months for me. I did so much grinding on Hyrule Warriors.

Also dunno what books you read, but pretty much all the ones I looked at varied from "only use a pacifier in absolute emergencies" to "never use a pacifier just deal with it," both claiming that giving an infant a pacifier will lead to them still needing one even when they start attending preschool. At least for us this was bullshit, we gave her a pacifier whenever she was otherwise inconsolable for the first few months and were able to wean her off relatively painlessly when she was a bit older; now at six months she only wants it when she's being put down for a nap.

I used the jolly pop ones and yeah I think at about 4-6 months ours just weaned off it.

what I’m having to deal with now was when my kids infant daycare teacher ,who she was attached to ,changed her schedule quite a bit and her coping mechanism was thumb sucking and now at 4 yr I can’t seem to break. thankfully due to covid precautions she washes her hands a lot but I’m trying to break that habit .

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

suddenly remembering how i managed to give up caffeine for 4 years and then that crashed the instant i became a dad

happy for you, new dad :unsmith:

lol yeah I switched from tea to coffee and now I’m back to tea after all of that was done

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

shyduck posted:

hello i have a 9 mo daughter and shes walking with a rolling walker thing as of yesterday

Its pretty drat amazing

time to install the gates!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

well my kid is a doomer now, she asked us this morning is the earth a body and people are the infections. I guess it’s time to get her an account at age 4.

we just told her that we can be like good bacteria.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

UGGHHHHHHH

she flipped the teacher off after refusing to do her work

i've let things get way too lax and hands off lately and i think i need to institute some serious rules about screen time

do any of you have an example screen time schedule you'd like to share?

guess all about setting limits, use timers, maybe use screen time restrictions if it's on an iOS device

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Louisgod posted:

one thing I wish I did early was get my kids set up with their own play computer so they could practice typing since it helps with spelling, letter retention and eye/hand skills. I even bought a kid keyboard with oversized keys at one point but now they both have grown accustomed to touching screens but they're both getting better with touch-typing the keyboard that pops up.

I think these days you can get either like those new raspberry pi keyboard all in ones(like the old c64s) or have guest mode login. My kid gets into guest mode and can press all of the secret delete your files key combos and we're safe.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

well my kid just solved covid i suppose, she told me that she's going to put white blood cells in the air and then shoot bubbles out to mix in the air to make the coronavirus say," i don't want this " and leave. So we just have to vaccinate the air.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

babies love the front pack, put a nice uv protection hat on them (well my kid is very fair skinned with family history of skin cancer)and take a walk around. let them see the world.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I think part of the stairs got damaged there. I use mine in the basement with the water filter to suck up all the water after heavy rain.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

it’s just an euphemism for advocating bad choices I would think

need a kid illustrated version with rhymes of “the prince” and “state and revolution” to get my kid on some real next level peer pressure

she’s got to immediately list sharp reasons why the others are distorting the truth and follow her true ways

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Good soup! posted:

I normally swear by everything from Costco but their loving diapers suck rear end, what the gently caress, no matter how you wrap your baby these shits loving leak and lead to constant blowouts

gently caress you kirkland (for probably the first time ever)

ALDI diapers are good value imo

we’re almost out of diapers, just some goodnights for sleep, can’t wait

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

we’ll probably try that when it gets warmer, we got the potty pads ready

a friends kid got it sorted by like age 2-3 and I’m like mother fucker

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

well well well tonight all of a sudden my kid wanted to sleep in undies unprompted. guess I got another extra load of laundry to do tomorrow
but it’s worth it. I didn’t ask why ;I was like well pick what you want to wear and let’s go to bed. think she wants to be out of the pre school mentality now

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

guess I got lucky the kid stayed dry overnight, she did tell me can can hold it all night so we’ll see if she wants to try again, she tends to have multiple false starts on these things

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Insanite posted:

that is clearly dickbutt.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my son is "student of the week" so today kids got to ask him questions and this one kid goes "would you rather go to school or stay at home with your mom and dad?"

And I'm thinking "this kid is a fuckin plant!"

probably loving is

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Organic Lube User posted:

I'm honestly not denying my kid much of anything during the pandemic.

She's gonna be so spoiled.

yeah I’ve spoiled mine but I don’t care we brought her into this hellword

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

gently caress I do miss going to the children’s museum, sure it was a bacteria/virus pit but my kid used the hand sanitizer a lot then, now ...oh hell no, we’re going fishing instead this summer and riding bikes

I bought two sets of tubelox so she could climb around during lovely Michigan winters

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I play hero kids with mine, it’s a dice base rpg like D&D but you’re kids trying to save the adults

we’re in a basement just trying to kill rats

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

B-Rock452 posted:

Finally start to see some semblance of a routine going and yesterday my 18 month old was pushed down at daycare by another 18 month old and then had her face bitten really bad. Her nose is really scraped up, forehead is bruised pretty bad and she has a nice bite mark on her cheek. Home now with her for the day but day care is really minimizing what happened despite one of the workers telling my wife yesterday the other child was aggressive and had been more so this week.

Not really sure what the next step is but super pissed at getting a response of "sometimes kids push each other" which yes is true but an 18 month old who pushes someone then climbs on them to bite their face is wayyyy abnormal.

yeah that's hosed up sorry you had to go through with that. hopefully the staff and the other kid's parent(s) can get that sorted out.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

if a trial is in my city it is tempting to enroll my kid. She asked me the other day when she can get her coronavirus vaccine.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Greg Legg posted:

Oh wow. I had no idea this thread existed. Our younger one just started teething but it's hard to describe how different it is with him compared to our first. It's weird!

our kid was at the longer end of the tooth eruption charts. it sucked for her but all of her teeth are evenly spaced so that’s good!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Recommendation for all C-SPAM parents: get your kids hooked on traditional folk music! Folk music is as anti-capitalist as it gets, both in terms of the context in which it's created, and the subject matter of lots of the music itself. And so much of it is geared towards kids.

Pete Seeger is a great jumping off point (at least for Americans, IMO). I didn't actually know his leftist bona-fides until recently, but he was a member of the Young Communist League and Communist Party USA, and some of his early groups were apparently intended "to function as a singing newspaper promoting the industrial unionization movement" (per Wiki).

I can imagine it's harder to get kids into folk music if they're already into pop music, but if you've got really little ones who don't yet have their own taste developed, I definitely recommend adding some trad. folk into the mix. Even Raffi is great, if you go beyond his most famous songs -- he's more of a pop musician but with heavy folk stylings and definitely with a leftist/activist bent. Raffi deep cuts, baby

Some of my family's faves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg8UgQz4tBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgT4VwucH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlmSEk-t0eY

yah my kid loves abiyoyo

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

ergos are great

my diaper bag was dadgear but now they’re out of business however just find any backpack diaper bag and go from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

YouTube reading rainbow episode of abiyoyo, it’s great