Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah I'm basically left hoping that Delta kills so many other people's kids that schools are forced to keep mine safe. Wooo.

wtf :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lmao, i remember when my kid first started getting cranky when i wouldn't let her hold her own spoon and(/or) feed herself :kimchi:

It's evolved to where she loves just having a spoon to parade around with if she's not busy doing anything else. If she doesn't have one she'll come up to me and hold a hand out towards the spoon cabinet, then i ask "do you want a ... SPOOOOOOON?" and her eyes light up as i lift her to the cabinet so she can pick which color of babby spoon she wants.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah that's kind of where mines at feeding wise. I try to mitigate as much as i can but I've just accepted that part of my day now is cleaning up and vacuuming after every mealtime, and sometimes also bathing the kid if she got it on her as well

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Taima posted:

I'm no expert but cspam does not feel like an appropriate place to have a parent thread.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight for the record, but also don't understand why someone woke up and was like "you know what C-Spam needs? A parent thread!"

There's a very good and very active parenting thread in A/T for example without any of the conflict and negativity/viewpoints of the average poster that comes here.

Thanks for your concern 👋

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

My kid wants to learn "kung fu" and I figure since I was really into tae kwon do as a youth I can teach him some stuff.

I'm already sore.

hah, I'm planning on doing the same with my kid. When she's old enough I'm going to teach her some basic karate for self-defense and to get her used to the movements, then we'll probably all take some BJJ as a family to learn how to fight better.

I'm also gonna teach her piano if she's interested (she probably will be, she loves music and already has her own little drum kit :3:)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

silvergoose posted:

Which drum kit? My 6yo has been clamoring for drums but found actual, real drums in a used music shop "too loud and scary".
It's a Big Band Rock N Rhythm drum set. It might be too small for a 6yo, my kid's 2 (but as big as a 3-4yo) and it fits her kinda perfectly.

But yeah if you look for kid's drum sets they've got some good options out there that might be less loud and scary for your little one's ears :)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

get your kid an electronic drum kit immediately

Ooh that's also a really good option (if you can afford it)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My kid just turned 2 and has been very quiet for the most part. She spoke her first words a while ago, like around 15-16 months (mama & dada), but for the most part she's just said them like 2 or 3 times apiece and otherwise communicates nonverbally, either pointing at things or taking our hands and leading us to the location of whatever it is she wants at the time (snacks, pick-up, a toy she wants to play with together). We know she knows the words and understands a lot of stuff, but for whatever reason she just doesn't feel like actually saying anything.

Today she decided to climb into my lap for one of my work meetings. I put the headset on her, and as soon as I did she waved at my coworkers and said a very clear "Hi." Then she greeted her grandma with a "Hi." and when she left with grandma she gave us kisses and waved and said a very clear "Bye." :kimchi:

oh boy here we go, soon it's going to be nonstop questions and I can't wait lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

some kids just take everything in then explode in a fury of words seemingly overnight

Yeah, it's been a while since I took my developmental psych classes but there's broadly 3 types of language development. One of the types does p much exactly this. And you probably only need to start being concerned after 24 months, based on what my doc said (I was starting to get concerned around 18mo)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My kid likes to pick a different book for me to read each night, and every time there's a cat on the page she points at it until I say "cat!" Then her eyes light up and she taps it excitedly so i go "cat cat cat cat cat cat!" until she giggles

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah every time I get to that page I'm grinning because I'm trying not to laugh at the mom driving across town with a ladder strapped to the top of her station wagon

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Aug 10, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

fosborb posted:

when my 5 year old is trying to nicely ask for something, she now has a slight british accent, because she spent a week at grandma's who let her watch entirely too much Peppa Pig

lmao, trying to imagine my kid speaking in that very propah enunciated accent they use and that'd be a trip

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Speaking of aussie kid stuff, thanks to the Wiggles I now end the alphabet song with "W, X, Y Zed or Zee"

Thanks to seeing so much Wiggles by now I can finally identify Australian accents and tell them apart from English ones :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

space chandeliers posted:

So, luckily, our elementary-aged kids are able to homeschool instead of working in the COVID mines.

Unluckily, our district chose Acellus instead of allocating enough resources for teachers to do live remote instruction.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90549530/the-extremely-weird-story-of-a-remote-learning-company-thats-making-parents-livid

https://www.edsurge.com/news/2020-09-10-schools-drop-acellus-learning-platform-over-glaring-offensive-content

Looking forward to finding poo poo like this:

Hawaii's rich founding history
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEctlv3DWi2/

Sweetie Lips

Why the gently caress is this being used still

what da gently caress

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Aug 26, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Man I feel blessed as gently caress with my 2 year old. She's always taken falls really well, usually just gets right back up and tries to act like it didn't happen. She usually doesn't even cry, just kinda does a short complaining wail because I think falling makes her feel embarrassed? It's not an "I'm hurt" wail lol

She wakes up during the night but when she does she'll just go turn the light on in her room and then "read" (look at her books) and play with her toys until she's tired again, then she'll turn the lights back off and go back to sleep :kimchi:

e: on second thought she might actually be reading kinda. She recognizes all the letters of the alphabet and can point at and say most of them, and she does know what reading is (she's started pointing at the words as I read stories to her). So who knows!

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Sep 17, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Good soup! posted:

those Gerber Yogurt Melts are too good, wtf

yeah seriously lol, I always have to sneak a couple during snacktime. It's hard not to just buy a bag for myself and chow down

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BIgDevine posted:

a knighted Tory MP has just been stabbed in a church. He was air lifted to hospital were he has passed away.

I can’t even imagine why, but it’s a shame the nhs is underfunded, they might of been better equipped to save his life if they weren’t.

Sorry to hear about your son, rip

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
one weird trick to burn your relationship with your kid!

https://twitter.com/LizMair/status/1448983240061165572

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

just giving my kid the bone from my steak dinner and letting him gnaw on it in a corner somewhere while I go to work on a bottle of honey wine

It's called enrichment time, and a good way for them to occupy themselves in their window crate

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
just add this to your spice rack, bing bong

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So I've never heard the song "5 Little Ducks" until this past weekend, and it was kinda funny because we'd already put the kid to bed but just let the children's music pandora station continue to play afterwards while we picked up and got settled in for the rest of the evening and forgot about it. Later that night I had come in from smoking a couple bowls out back, and this song came on:

quote:

Five Little Ducks went out one day, over the hills and far away.
Mother Duck said, “Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,” but only four little ducks came back.

Four little ducks went out one day, over the hills and far away
Mother Duck said, “Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,” but only three little ducks came back.

I sat down shocked and wondering "oh god did the duckling get eaten by a cat or other predator, what the hell" and felt terrible for the poor mother duck at first. But as the song went on I got mad at her because she kept sending her ducklings over the hill and far away, losing one each time, and I was sitting there high as gently caress and in my feelings nearly tearing up about this song and thinking what the gently caress is wrong with this mama duck, does she hate her kids, why does she keep letting them go over the hill and far away like that??? And what a dark loving children's song what the hell!!

And then

quote:

Sad mother duck went out one day, over the hills and far away
Mother Duck said, “Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,” and five little ducks came running back.

And I was like "oh good they're okay!" and felt way too relieved for the ducklings in this stupid children's song

My partner laughed her goddamn rear end off when I told her about it later

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Nov 15, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh god my partner gave our 2 year old a banana and a few minutes later found her with the dog in his crate sharing the banana together :3: :barf:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dreylad posted:

your child's class is Beastmaster

She is unusually good with the dog... :thunk:

Hell, it'd make my job easier

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
TIL if my 2yo is trying to pitch a bullshit tantrum because she doesn't like that i said no to something, i can just mock her crying to her face and go WAHHH WAHHH and laugh, and she thinks it's hilarious. Instant mood change! Dunno if this would work with any other kids or if it's just cuz it's my kid

In this case she was mad because i told her she couldn't climb and stand on the coffee table, because I'm a tyrant

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dreylad posted:

once a moderator always a moderator

one week away from new baby. my wife is tired as hell and she says im the one doing the nesting as i clean every inch of our apartment. i just want to be a good dad!!

Enjoy your last week of sleep for a while! Gl hf

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Good soup! posted:

10 months old and taking five steps at a time, omfg

Hope you got the babyproofing set up! Now they're bout to get into EVERYTHING

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I wanted to read Dr dolittle to my kid because I had really fond memories of the books from when I was a kid.

I went to ask the librarian if they had the books because they were in the catalogue but not on the shelves. She was like "ohhhh we keep that one in the basement but idk why". Took me like two chapters to find out why.

What's up with the books? I never read them

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dreylad posted:

baby poop is also hilarious and weird

except the meconium. gently caress that stuff

The face a newborn makes when it's pooping the first few times is hilarious. They look like god just whispered secrets of the universe into their ear

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This is all good to hear now while my little one is still 2. We started off trying cry it out when she had a sleep regression around 8 months or so (she started sleeping mostly through the night around 6mo), and she's independent enough and it worked well enough that we just used that as our baseline strategy--if she woke up in the middle of the night we'd give her 5-10 minutes to cry it out, and only go in if she didn't show signs of slowing down. Midnight "I woke up but nothing's wrong" cries eventually went away and now when she wakes up she'll just go turn on her room light and read ("read") quietly to herself or practice her alphabet/counting/colors or play with one of her musical toys until she's tired again, then she tucks herself back in. There was a month or so where she'd turn her lights back off before going to sleep too but she stopped doing that after a while lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Today i learned my toddler is now capable of working the deadbolt and locking me out of the house while I'm taking the dog to go poop

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

I haven't walked out of my house without my keys for five years for this reason.

Yeah i learned an important lesson today

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sounds like an opportunity to introduce her to the pedagogical tradition of 10-minute youtube explainers! I look forward to the "why killing MLK Jr was bad, actually" video

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
welp our 2 year old learned how to open doors, guess she decides when naptime is over now lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
We've have the doorknob things on doors leading outside for months (I was a little escape artist as a kid and apparently once David Blaine'd myself out of a supposedly secure house at 2am when I was 3) so putting them on inside doors is no biggie, but on the other hand I would like her to have the option of leaving her room if she really needs to for whatever reason.

We have a couple pet/kid gates but she's already learned (accidentally) she can just pull those off with her bodyweight lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The babby said thank you for the first time today, unprompted. I gave her a bowl of orange slices and she went "tenk ooo" :kimchi:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol so they use some kind of automated gun to apply the staples and it's funny to think of my kids skull being put together like a new roof.

drat, I'm glad that so far the only overnight mystery we've had to solve was "how did these loving turd nuggets get out of the diaper and all over the bed"

Glad your kid's okay!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Welcome to the world, Alphonso-Spaghetti

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yeah sleep schedules can change suddenly and without warning. Ours' sleep has been consistent since she turned 2. The only issue is it's consistently "stay up until 10-11pm, then half the time wake up for an hour or two at 3am as well, then sleep until 8"

At least she'll just chill in her room with her toys so it's not a big deal yet. Any day now she's going to get bored and come climb into our bed though I can feel it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
But be careful, in case the grass is Russian