Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

well, the grub honeymoon is over. baby girl can roll over, so she isn’t guaranteed to stay exactly where we put her and we started giving her solids, so the sweet beautiful buttered popcorn smelling poops are slowly becoming progressively stinkier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

in the same boat with having to go back in the office next month, with the wife starting back teaching a month or so after that. I can’t for the life of me imagine leaving our (at that point) 7 month old with anyone for an entire loving day, but I guess we’ve been spoiled by the pandemic bubble. I think at least in our area, the push for wfh has made the daycare situation go from 8 month waiting lists to normal.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

that arsenic article says they won’t be making rice cereals anymore because they can’t source rice from anywhere that isn’t laced. I’m pretty new to this, but it really sucks raising my baby in a toxic hell world.

we were trying to be really mindful to avoid microplastic exposure, and for the first few months it was easy, but we quickly realized it was probably unrealistic. we could use glass bottles all day, but the wife’s pump, storage bags, nipples and pacifiers were all pretty much unavoidable. now that she’s on a quest to cram anything and everything in her mouth, it really seems impossible.

meanolmrcloud has issued a correction as of 13:21 on Jun 11, 2021

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

watching the neighborhood fireworks register on my baby’s monitor, ugh I’m old don’t these hooligans know it’s midnight

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

i can identify. I’m nauseous about sending baby to day care for the first time in September, but hopefully that’s enough time for some data to come in so that it’s known to be safe (lol) and I can just be regular nauseous about daycare, or poo poo gets bad and I can continue to wfh (and go back to regular background COVID anxiety)

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

we loved the name Ida, and then 8 months and one day after she was born, the storm almost destroyed an American city. at least it wasn’t as bad as Katrina, but it was odd hearing that name all last weekend on the news!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Dreylad posted:

i shouldn't care because medical protocols are what they are in plague times, and at the end of the day ill see the kid all the time once she's born but i haven't been able to go to a single ultrasound and it kinda sucks

for a “regular” pregnancy, we had exactly 2 ultrasounds the whole way through during covidtimes. I think they were trying to condition into not worrying too much and just let things happen. jokes on them, I’ll never stop worrying.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

if my baby is in a bad mood, she will shriek in an increasing pitch until it turns into a soundless howl of pain when mom leaves the room…while I’m holding her. at least I get the 3 tooth smile and slappyhands when I pick her up from daycare.

we lasted 10 minutes into cry it out before my wife started crying and couldn’t take it. having a video monitor to put a visual to the crying didn’t help. going to daycare fixed the night sleeping issues, for whatever reason.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

up until like 8 mo our kid was always waking up for a night time feed until one night, we let her eat as many fish sticks as she wanted and then slept for 12 hours straight. now we are clued into her eating propensity, and it’s not much of an issue anymore.

the anemia thing is worrisome though, I’m a vegetarian but I don’t have any quibbles about my daughter eating meat. still, it’s not something I cook often and beyond throwing chicken breasts in the oven, my meat-based skill set is lacking. she narfed down some precooked meatballs tonight tho, so that’s encouraging.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

I feel like the loud thud => listen for crying => go back to pretending to work in the basement cycle is getting shorter and less frequent. guess she’ll be walking soon!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

brugroffil posted:

This for sure. A baby carrier is always good too.

e: also after the baby is here if there's any way you can help with regular life stuff, like meal prep or even some housework or something. Or watching the baby for an hour or two so they can sleep.

yea, we just got through the first year, and the most valuable things were people looking out for us with food, assistance with laundry/dishes and stuff. having another set of hands and eyes is crazy helpful. all the baby centric stuff the parents have to figure out what works for them and that can take a bit.

one thing that we used a shitload that i never would’ve thought of was something like this. one of the ones that dangles things above the head and attaches to the four corners of a mat.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

so what’s everyone’s strat for unvaccinated toddlers and Christmas gatherings. the in-laws are definitely ‘Covid is over’ types, and this is just loving miserable.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Good soup! posted:

I'm here to put my foot down and say that Elmo's version of the Letter of the Day song is vastly superior to Abby's

Also, Rudy loving sucks, he doesn't sound like a child monster, he just sounds like a dumbass

100% but it’s gotta be the one with the marching band and glitz, not the black background one. I don’t really like any of the number of the days, cookie monsters is ok I guess.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Dreylad posted:

yeah ive been doing the formula supplements as needed to get my wife some sleep. also had to realize i wasn't doing her a favour by letting her skip a feed because that affects her milk supply, so we've worked on that

breastfeeding man, it's complicated. when it goes smoothly im sure it's amazing but it's complicated otherwise

on the upside i can now disassemble, clean, and reassemble a breast pump one handed in the dark like some kind of Dad Operator

my wife is an incredible trooper, and it kinda felt like there was no way around night feeds, continual pumping and just general sleep-deprived misery if you are committed to breast feeding. you can try to do the best you can regarding keeping bottles clean and ready to go, cooking and helping out in other ways.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

also no one ever told us at any point in the first three weeks that babies should be getting fed every 2 hours, and should have a shitload of oz’s per day. once we got on that rhythm, everything got a ton smoother for sleep, naps, crankiness, poops.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

you know your a dumb idiot parent when even your baby’s emerging molars are freakin adorable

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

we have pocket doors, and if it’s open even a cm, our 13 month can get it open, so that sucks.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

I haven’t seen the show, but the soundtrack is amazing, and makes me think that when bill waterson kicks over and his kids sell the rights to Calvin and Hobbes, if they do music this evocative, it just might work.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

The Silent Scourge posted:

So I just gotta vent on this and its tangental to the learning chat, but we're looking for a house with a 1 year old. That alone is stressful as gently caress and while I am out of town for work my inlaws ambushed my wife about the schools in the area we are looking at.

To find a place we can afford we gotta move to more middle of nowhere and the school is 'low income and full of non native english speakers!' and apparently has lower test scores, which we knew going in.

Does that poo poo really matter? Are we dooming our kid to lovely education becuase the elementary school is 4/10? How the gently caress do you deal with this poo poo, it feels like no matter what whatever you do its a crap shoot if the school is actually good or not.

I have one niece who attends a pricey stem (yes these exist) Montessori thing, and has from 2 through age 6, and another niece who was with a stay at home mom until recently attending kindergarten.

I wasn’t really convinced about the benefits of overpriced programs, but the stem niece is really leaps and bounds better with numbers and approaching things creatively. it could still be just innate differences between the two, and the other niece is smart and amazing too but it’s pretty stark when they are next to each other. I was very scared for a while, and still lowkey worried that I’ll be robbing my own daughter of exploring her potential but also screw paying almost double my mortgage to have my daughter count blocks in new ways.

I think the bottom line is, as always, help them be decent and happy and it’ll be ok.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

in trying to stop my baby from eating sunscreen, we just got hit with the first tearful “pwease pwease PWEASE”. this (the next few years) is gonna suck

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

we all got got just last week for the first time. loving deceitful grandma

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

yep, we were in rural pa when our daughter spiked a 103 fever and refused to eat. thank goodness we weren’t the 10% or whatever whose fingernails fall out from it!

edit: this is also when we broke our no cocomelon rule, and that was a long rear end car ride back to Michigan.

meanolmrcloud has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Aug 8, 2022

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Insanite posted:

beside rubbing, prune, pear, or apple juice for sorbitol.

three days is approaching “call pediatrician's office for advice” territory, though. they might tell you to try a suppository. if she seems to be in pain (crying while straining + pulling legs toward abdomen, for example), couldn't hurt to call this evening and get that advice.

hydration all good? also call sooner rather than later if you’re not getting wet diapers.

three days is maybe worrisome for an older kid, but newborns can go for a while without pooping and it’s totally fine as long as they are hydrated and peeing.

we always mixed a few spoonfuls of prune juice into breastmilk, and if that didn’t work, we tried again the next day.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

bitmap posted:

2 whole hours! what a day

rip. when my baby sleeps longer than usual, it’s a sure sign they are sick.

we are lucky to have walkable parks, but any kind of business is in a strip mall and walking up with stroller or infant there would be unusual. homes near walkable cores obviously are more expensive.

meanolmrcloud has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Sep 17, 2022

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

I do a fair amount of solo parenting while wifey works late or sleeps in and I do not know how you’d avoid screentime in situations like making dinner, or doing any chore other than cleaning, which they can participate in.

I want to get one of those kitchen stepstools so she can participate in cooking, but I’m not positive it’d hold her attention for super long, and we’re about to have another anyways, so like what the gently caress can I do in a situation like that. I do admit this is the path of least resistance, which is all I’m capable of some nights.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

It helps to have a stockpile of activities that only come out when you need to occupy their attention for a bit.

yea, this is basically what the tv already is. I’m ok with some educationally-oriented screentime. baby isn’t even 2, so most things can hold her attention while I make dinner.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Mackinac island sucks in a lot of touristy ways, but dang, my new goal in life is to find a place that has abolished cars. it’s pretty amazing to walk around with a toddler in the streets not having to worry about anything except for all the horse poo poo.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Congrats!

COVID thread might have more thoughts about the specific booster. My understanding is some immunity transfers to the fetus if mom gets the shot later in the pregnancy.

But precautions-wise, the time when you actually want to be most cautious is while your wife is pregnant. COVID increases the risk of complications and is more likely to be severe for pregnant people. It can cause blood clots, can damage the placenta and contribute to preterm birth. Depending on where you give birth, a positive test late in the pregnancy can mean that you might not be allowed in the room during or after birth. It's also the time when family and friends are less likely to understand your precautions. This was a hugely stressful pain in the rear end for us.

Things are more straight-forward with a newborn because the prevailing guidance already dictates that you be extremely cautious about respiratory illness like flu and RSV during the first couple months of life anyway. Those are more likely to be trouble than COVID, which is (supposedly -- grain of salt given that COVID is OVER) rare among newborns and unlikely to cause severe illness. Visitors should be vaccinated (TDAP, COVID and flu), should wash their hands before touching baby and not kiss the baby, and should avoid visiting entirely if they have even mild illness or think they might have been exposed to COVID. Ideally they'd mask, but lol yeah right grandparents.

My girl was born premature going on three months now and we basically just continue to live like most people did in the early days of COVID. Mostly staying at home, only allowing visitors for limited time in as controlled an environment as we can, masking with an N95 any time we go somewhere indoors around other people. And then try and take as much leave as possible before considering putting them in daycare. Because once they're in daycare... they're going to catch something!

pretty much all this. we had our first baby in dec 2020, and the stressors were mainly 1) being in a hospital and 2) fending people off afterwards. 2 was by far much harder, and we had to be hard assess about boundaries and expectations. being in a hospital for a few days with strict masking protocol wasn’t amazing, but better than dealing with newborn-deprived in-laws and grandparents.

get boosted, be vigilant, don’t read too much of the Covid thread (despite it being a great resource).

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

bitmap posted:

this is a pretty weird one but...my 2yo daughter has said a few really strange things lately. About 2 weeks ago my wife was getting dressed while she was in the room and she pointed at her and said "sexy! bit sexy!" and laughed. Just now we were driving to pick up my wife from some spa thing and when I said "let's go get mummy" she replied "BUSTY mummy! lets get busty mummy!".

In a vacuum I guess Kids Say The Darnedest Things but...there is nowhere she could have heard this aside from daycare. I know that the kneejerk reaction is to just blame daycare but she was born in covid and we moved countries when she was not even 1. We don't have a circle of friends she is around. We've never used a babysitter. She isn't around either of our families because they live in other countries. She spends her whole life in our house and the park and daycare. We don't have adult television on in front of her. I have never said "sexy" around her. "busty" is a dumb word and I don't use it. We made sure both times we didn't mishear her, she repeated the words multiple times.

we're kinda...weirded out. we've racked our brains for any other possibility than daycare. Why the gently caress would the daycare women be saying things are sexy (to the point that she has made the association between the word and states of undress) or talking about how stacked my wife is in front of a 2 year old.

I guess I have to take the easiest going daycare minder aside and have a real awkward conversation. I'm trying not to get angry thinking about it but what the gently caress.

my kiddo is 22 months old with a rapidly expanding vocabulary, so I get where you are coming from, but is it possible you are mishearing or mistoddler-translating? my daycare provider was concerned about our domestic situation because my daughter was saying something repeatedly that sounded like ‘get away’ or ‘go away’ in time it resolved more clearly into something else.

but yea, if that’s clearly what she is trying to say then that’s pretty concerning.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

two foods my 22 mo old loved were ramen noodles and paneer tiki masala. with no spice, the Indian food was basically rich tomato soup with hunks of cheese, and we have pictures of her entire face and hair being a bright red smiling orb from her eating it by the handful. she’d also slurp down ramen noodles by handfuls so big, we would get concerned.

this week, we had both of these back to back and she cried at the Indian food, and shoved the noodles off her tray, but ate the backup microwaved hotdog in less than a minute.

more Indian food for me I guess.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

bitmap posted:

on the upside to having a new kid I'm on the feeding night shift so I'm working through all of king of the hill

hell yea, I watched all of warrior and a buncha other poo poo on a laptop off to the side, with a newborn laying on a pillow in my lap at 3am, the only way she would sleep for more than 2 hours straight.

i wish she would find anything as interesting as poo poo in tubes. toothpaste, buttpaste, lotions, aquaphor, as long as it comes in a tube, my daughter will try to eat it, and get pissy when you take it away.

edit: to not double post but a disclaimer. we had to change the battery in a key fob and the packaging, aside from being a total motherfucker to open, also advertised a ‘bitter coating’ to discourage toddlers from eating them. I had to see how bitter it was and it hosed my tongue up. 4 hours later and there’s still a sharp chemical aftertaste. do not be curious like me.

meanolmrcloud has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Nov 8, 2022

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

also, if it took a while for the first to happen, don’t go assuming it’ll take that long the second go round. it took us over two years to hit with the first, and when that baby turned like 14 months we said ‘well, maybe we should start trying in case it takes multiple years’ and whoops, got it in one. I’ll be on the two and want to die train in feb.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

I was kinda hoping we’d have twins this time around. my wife wants three, and doing two at once now would’ve been the quickest way through hell.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

literally every child in our orbit, including one six states away, has had the poo poo and vomit for 24 hours bug in the past two weeks. incredible stuff.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

after a small amount of debate, we took the kiddo into daycare today despite us both having the day off. I get to cosplay as childless and unemployed for like 6.5 hours and so far it’s pretty sweet.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Microplastics posted:

Why was there any debate? :psyduck:

“we are in the last 4 weeks of being able to enjoy this toddler as a solo toddler before the new baby comes”

vs

“several continuous hours of peace and quiet”

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

just did the 2022 total daycare expenditure for taxes. 15.5k dollars for one kid, which is both a shitload of money and also not as bad as some other areas.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

my mom retired and moved 5 hours away a year before we had our first. with our second coming in the next few weeks, she’s renting a room in the area to help out more or less against our wishes and it’s super stressful. I know it’s a privilege to have someone who can fold laundry, do dishes and stuff, but she is the definition of an ultra lib boomer. as in ‘my opinions on how you organize your house, raise your baby, spend your money are unquestionably correct and I’ll repeat the same 5 things 30 times a day until you relent, and then find 5 more things to needle over’. boundaries cannot exist, perfectly spherical brain etc.

I of course grew up with this and have a nice hole in my brain where this all sails right on through. but it’s caused a huge amount of frustration in my wife, and certainly caused the biggest stressors between my wife and I in our entire marriage.

so it’s not exactly the same, but I get it. in-laws loving suck.

on the children’s song front: we were surprised a few months ago when we discovered the 22 month old could count way past 10 and on to 20, something she absolutely picked up from super simple songs.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

my horrible body mechanics in all aspect of my life are coming home to roost. popped some kind of back muscle for like the 3rd time in two months, and it’s very swollen and painful. every diagram I see of how not to lift a toddler is exactly how I lift my kid 45 times a day. repetitive stress injuries are poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

second baby is here. why would anyone do this. every second that isn’t filled with something that must be done is filled with anxiety. my brain adjusted to the extraordinary stress of a newborn last time, but I still think it’ll be impressive if it adjusts to a 2yo and a newborn