Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my 5 year old is learning to read and getting upset at not being perfect at it already. for example she got really mad when i asked what the episode title was in bluey and she read it right and before i could say 'nice job' she was already upset she got it wrong

any tips on how to be good dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ikanreed posted:

If you read together, my son adored the game of "dad misreads a word and gives him a moment between words to correct him" it teaches that reading is a thing where mistakes happen and makes being read to a less passive activity.

oh nice one, we read every night. i'll give that a shot, thanks

Microplastics posted:

Me playing any videogame

:same:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BONGHITZ posted:

good luck, have fun

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

spiritual bypass posted:

with my sick kid at an urgent care that used to be a hollywood video lol

love the future

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

RBC posted:

my kid was never in daycare before kindergarten and was pretty much isolated from other kids her age with a few exceptions from 2020-2022 for obvious reasons and i was worried about her socialization based on all these parents freaking out about it

guess what she's been in full day kindergarten for a half year and she's been completely fine and was on the same level as every other kid in about a week

have this similar story and it was a huge relief that she seemed to adapt so well to all those new people after years of just seeing family and kids at parks

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
but her bestie (???) has been making problems, like cutting her hair in class the first week of school, and trying to push her yesterday, and no one played with her at recess :(

poor girl had a rough go of it but today was a new day

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

kecske posted:

get a load of this guy

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it's all bluey all the time

she's starting to get into spiderman and I'm gonna miss bluey someday

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

very cool

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Lol

Mario kart is a great spare time game. My daughter is a huge fun of stray, she isn't great at it but just likes to wander around loving with robots and hell... Same

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it's good but the first 15 minutes can be scary cause the cat falls away from its family

I did not know this when she started playing the cat game and she was very upset. she came up with a plan to rent a different copy from the library and save the cat this time, ruled, but she was really upset lol

also all the humans are dead (never shown) but idk if she didn't get that or didn't care

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
really forunate that we had an option on both sides of our family because if we had to afford daycare we'd probably just made my wife stop working, jesus

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my daughter is all flailing arms and feet all the time, but i've learned good defensive positioning

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've been playing the Bluey game with my kid, and the other day after we got the first map piece I let her play solo while I went off and did some chores. When we came back to the game the next day, she asked for my help with getting a map piece, so I figured sure why not let's get the second one. Helped her out and got the map piece.... the third one. Turns out she'd played an entire episode and gotten the second map piece without my help whatsoever lol

hell yes

Mustached Demon posted:

Teachers said my 4yo is the nicest, most helpful kid in the class

congrats

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my daughter got under 9th place in 150 cc last night and wife and I both were over the god drat moon

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

lobster shirt posted:

my daughter is sick, fussy and miserable seeming all day and then she threw up right before bed. tonight is probably not going to be fun...

F

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BonHair posted:

Bins are great. For turning over. One at a time. Without even picking up anything in the like before turning over the next one.

every loving time and I still pick it up every time

now she's getting better at it thankfully, and even helps pick up most times

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
we went to see Wonka yesterday (good movie, enjoyed it) because it was the only movie she could go to. originally she wasn't even interested in it but then it was the only option lol

anyway, she had a great time, lasted till like 10 min before it ended before she needed to go exploring. some younger kids were running around and she wanted in, and I don't think she has many more run around the theater with other kids before she will be too old for it so gently caress it have fun.

we got outside and she had a big tantrum because... I still don't know lol stormed off and sat by a light post for a bit before coming back, I guess she didn't like the way I asked her to get in the car

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
goondolences on doing homework, also for getting sick

godspeed to you each

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah school kicks rear end when it's half a day and half of your half a day involves the flintstone phone.

all kindergartens are a day long around here now, pre I was the half day. thought it was crazy when I found out

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

KirbyKhan posted:

Keep trying, keep trying, don't give up~ don't give up~

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mustached Demon posted:

yeah potty training is a war of attrition where it's totally ok to pull back, regroup, and come at it stronger

yes

what finally worked for us was to have the whole family sit in the bathroom for a while when we thought she hadn't needed a diaper change in a long time and then shower her with praise when she finally just started peeing in the toilet

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

sonatinas posted:

oh she’s done with it now and will resume when she feels like it

all the same congrats

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
drat I have no clue but when you find out report back

daughter snuck a candy bar before breakfast today but then she read to mom and dad while we ate breakfast so I'm gonna call it a wash

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

KirbyKhan posted:

No need to apologize.

:yeah:

also condolences

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Woke Mind Virus posted:

making GBS threads like a rabbit to get the equivalent of a fun size package of m&ms

it's a solid strategy

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

fartman posted:

This one was always a fight with whoever was doing the afternoon because of course they want the kids all to be sleeping, that's their coffee break

yeah I could always tell which days my daughter took naps in pre-k or when my mother in law watched her

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ikanreed posted:

I miss my kid. Work sucks.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
'truck' was 'gently caress' for an inappropriate amount of time at my insistence

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
kids rule

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
We head in to do stories at 745 and she's out by 830ish most days, she's been getting up at like 7 am though even on weekends, unfortunately lol but it's nice having a predictable scheduled time for our evenings

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

RBC posted:

my daughter says have a great weekend every night before she goes to bed

i dont have the heart to tell her

lol

my daughter is starting to grasp the difference between days on and days off now, this was the first weekend that felt like she was all in to use every minute as previous as she could make it, and I couldn't have had more fun. it is cool that because of environmental hell coming, we were able to walk along the river boardwalk in a sweater in February , shame about everything else

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

KirbyKhan posted:

And they send children home for potty-ing when they don't have a potty. WTF?!?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
our daughter struggled with big toilets forever, and only recently (kindergarten) would she use the toilets at school to pee, but she still won't poop at school. kids really move at their own pace on these things and all you can do is be there and support them while they adapt

sounds like a lot of stress and it might help to remember it's just a bump in the path, best wishes

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
lol

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mustached Demon posted:

Stay away from Roblox

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
echoing the Mario kart sentiment in here, otherwise I had a lot of fun playing Mario RPG with my kindergarten kid, let her do the world map and read the dialogue to her. most Mario games especially the 3d world one have been good for her to game and for family gaming

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the more I reflect on it and hear about Roblox, the more it seems like a really poorly thought out pipeline to abuse in the same way that yahoo chat from 1995-2006 was, but with the added 3d models and monetization

I fear for when I have to be the bad dad who says no way to the cool thing other kids are enjoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

also the baby (10 months in 2 days) is sleeping from 7-6 now which is fuckin HUGE

since he started doing it we still haven't had a zero-wakeups night due to both kids having illness issues and his sister getting her sheets all tangled up but no 4:30 AM feed is still an amazing development

drat congrats, enjoy the reprieve before the next stage lol