Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I are renovating our kitchen. We're going to be using cabinets with these doors in a honey stain, the appliances will all be slate gray (we aren't fans of stainless steel or white), and we'll be using this countertop .

The kitchen gets a pretty good amount of natural light. It's not huge but it's not tiny either. It's got a lot of white in it, but it's definitely outdated. We'd like to retain its airy, casual character. We don't want to sell the house anytime soon, and we don't plan on kids.

I have a few questions about where we should proceed on a few colors - specifically, elements of the backsplash, the floor tile, and the paint for the walls.

1. We want to do one row of this tile, with two rows each of a less vibrant color above and below. Two rows neutral, one row the blue linked tile, two rows neutral. Something like this.What sort of color should we be looking at for the neutral?
2. We were initially looking at a neutral bisque or warm white slate look porcelain tile for the floor. With the countertop, it may be too much neutral. Would a taupe tile like this be a good pick that doesn't blend too closely with the slate appliances?
3. We were thinking of a light gray paint with a mild blue tint that helps bring the blue flecks in the countertop and the backsplash tile together, while complementing the cabinet color. Is that a good idea? Or should we be thinking of some other color?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Have you considered posting this in DIY? They have whole threads of home design obsessives

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I think your ideas are good but would suggest changing the cabinet colors. A warm gray might suit your other color choices better, particularly if you're trying to keep an "airy" look to your kitchen. The honey stain imo has more of a cozying effect to it

I might be a little biased, because we recently completed a kitchen remodel with white walls, white quartz counters, warm gray engineered wood floors, blue cabinets, and panel-ready appliances (with matching finishes). I'm a fan of keeping things simple(r)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

got off on a technicality posted:

I think your ideas are good but would suggest changing the cabinet colors. A warm gray might suit your other color choices better, particularly if you're trying to keep an "airy" look to your kitchen. The honey stain imo has more of a cozying effect to it

I might be a little biased, because we recently completed a kitchen remodel with white walls, white quartz counters, warm gray engineered wood floors, blue cabinets, and panel-ready appliances (with matching finishes). I'm a fan of keeping things simple(r)

My current kitchen is bright white, and the thought of painting cabinets right out of the gate makes me reach for my Browning.

We ended up with a different stain on the doors after I figured out how to futz it into a Sketchup model someone made of the kitchen layout. At least that way if we get it all done and dislike the cabinet color, we can paint it something else.

I might follow Scudworth's advice and put further stuff in DIY.