Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Last Chance posted:

watched the movie with my gf today and it was hilarious and sad. very good, highly recommended to anyone itt

next time turn the tv on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

President Beep posted:

next time turn the tv on!

Lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
no spoilers. I want to find out for myself if blackberry gets the girl and lives happily ever after

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

no spoilers. I want to find out for myself if blackberry gets the girl and lives happily ever after

are you shipping qnx or cylance?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BLACKBERRY is Alive!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
:kstare:IceCream:powercatte:
:kstare:IceCream:powercatte:

President Beep fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 5, 2023

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
okay, I watched the blackberry movie so you don’t have to. here’s my review:

objectively it’s a pretty bad movie. they were trying to do a woz and jobs movie, but Canada. if you are a normal person and don’t laugh about blackberries then it’s mostly a waste of time. they really amp up jim silly balls into a hyper harvard business bro who just goes balls out in any situation, even when he doesn’t know what is happening. on the other hand mike lizard lips is a shy and timid engineer. the story spends a lot of time on the startup and then kind of breezes through the collapse.

if you are a yosposter who followed the lols you’ll be reminded of the good times. they gave ballsillie the famous balmer iphone line (“600 dollars?”). the hilariously bad blackberry whose whole screen was a giant button. also co-CEOs, lol. but ultimately they do a terrible job of showing how badly BB was dealing with the upcoming apocalypse. so it’s an entertaining watch but missing a lot of laugh potential. I’d say watch it if you are bored.

glenn howerton is great in it. he’s a massive rear end in a top hat throughout, which he excels at playing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what if you can’t laugh anymore now that you’ve heard the stories from engineers working through that collapse

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

what if you can’t laugh anymore now that you’ve heard the stories from engineers working through that collapse

you might not find it so amusing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hobbesmaster posted:

i cannot even fathom the scenario

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

i cannot even fathom the scenario

laughing at waterloo is like laughing at Buffalo, NY, its just more sad than anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe, idk about buffalo, but the hubris coming out of KW in the early 2000s was immense

sure, it's sad now, but the the pride and the fall are the part people are laughing at

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yep, blackberry was unstoppable, until they weren’t. and they were the last ones to admit it.

oh the movie doesn’t go into the hilarious periods of touchscreen blackberries, the tablet (what was it called?) and BBOS10

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

playbook

tools not toys

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if BBOS10 wasn’t a thing then the safety of almost every car in the road today would be built on top of samsung

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

maybe, idk about buffalo, but the hubris coming out of KW in the early 2000s was immense

sure, it's sad now, but the the pride and the fall are the part people are laughing at

they're still calling it silicon valley north

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

they're still calling it silicon valley north

I thought that was Kanata

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

never met a waterloo student whose ego wasn't far, far in excess of their talents, so I guess it isn't a shock that that mentality is bred in the region as a whole

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

to be fair between fighting for “Silicon Valley north” or simply being know for the sens that’s an understandable choice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

silicon valley sucks. it's all ugly suburbs and lovely malls and everyone there is the worst person you've ever met. why would anywhere want to be silicon valley

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

silicon valley sucks. it's all ugly suburbs and lovely malls and everyone there is the worst person you've ever met. why would anywhere want to be silicon valley

the money's nice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

san jose is just LA but farther north and without the good parts of LA

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

it does have some strip malls with amazing food but yeah 10 lane freeways and somehow higher cost of living than la

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
…okay, i have no love for silicon valley, but when people say that la has ten-lane freeways, they mean ten lanes in each direction. i don’t think anything in the bay area tops out above five

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dijkstracula posted:

never met a waterloo student whose ego wasn't far, far in excess of their talents, so I guess it isn't a shock that that mentality is bred in the region as a whole

the one guy that comes immediately to mind was a compsci major, a virulent misogynist, and an absolute moron.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

if BBOS10 wasn’t a thing then the safety of almost every car in the road today would be built on top of samsung

still an improvement over tesla

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Sagebrush posted:

it's all ugly suburbs and lovely malls and everyone there is the worst person you've ever met. why would anywhere want to be silicon valley

this literally describes ontario so silicon valley north fits perfectly

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

it doesnt even have the weird bad parts. just the tedious ugly middle parts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

because qnx would have stopped existing?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

yes ‘Silicon Valley north’ is kanata. the only thing I want from there is a Nortel hat but gently caress that place sucks so bad

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

its spelled Canada :eng101:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fr kanata exposed me to more bigotry than anywhere else in the country, I’ll never step foot there again if I can help it. it’s a garbage suburb for garbage people

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dijkstracula posted:

mostly the cs/swe and engineers

with their lettermans jackets lolol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

because qnx would have stopped existing?

harman is samsung now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

harman is samsung now

here’s a joke explainer for this convoluted reference.

many cars ran/run qnx.
qnx was owned by Harman.
blackberry bought qnx from Harman to make bbos10
Samsung bought Harman.
bbos10 saved qnx from being owned by Samsung

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hey! that’s a direct reference by this forum’s standards

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hobbesmaster posted:

harman is samsung now

yeah and clegg is now bibme

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the one guy that comes immediately to mind was a compsci major, a virulent misogynist, and an absolute moron.

see hackernews for an abundant supply

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i was in silicon valley and im delightful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

northern california is so good that not even silicon valley can totally ruin the peninsula imo