Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i like all the weird satellite and space poo poo thats still sort of there, like the radio telescopes around yahoo and moffet field and stuff, but yeah generally SV is just a wasteland of industrial parks and strip malls. Basically Chatsworth North.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like the vta train

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i had a gf once who thought silicon valley was a plastic surgery/large bewb mecca

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

git apologist posted:

i had a gf once

let’s try to keep these stories believable

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

git apologist posted:

i had a gf once who thought silicon valley was a plastic surgery/large bewb mecca

half right

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

The Management posted:

let’s try to keep these stories believable

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

git apologist posted:

no thats Canoga Park

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

silicon valley sucks. it's all ugly suburbs and lovely malls and everyone there is the worst person you've ever met. why would anywhere want to be silicon valley

This is a moot point because "Silicon Valley" has been San Francisco since the dot com bust. So you need to insult SF instead.

rotor posted:

san jose is just LA but farther north and without the good parts of LA

San Jose calls itself "capital of Silicon Valley" but all of the FAANG companies are in Cupertino and northwards on! SJ and Santa Clara have companies like Intel, Nvidia, and uh, eBay

Maximo Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 26, 2023

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there’s tech companies from San Jose up to San Francisco in pretty much every city. though the centers of gravity are “Silicon Valley” (triangle between Santa Clara, Cupertino, and Palo Alto), and San Francisco. San Jose is definitely not the center of anything.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

git apologist posted:

silicone valley is LA

Maximo Roboto posted:

This is a moot point because "Silicon Valley" has been San Francisco since the dot com bust. So you need to insult SF instead.

San Jose calls itself "capital of Silicon Valley" but all of the FAANG companies are in Cupertino and northwards on! SJ and Santa Clara have companies like Intel, Nvidia, and uh, eBay

apple is the only one in FAANG who has a claim to making silicon, anyway

the name, and san jose's participation in it, is just legacy from when there was actual manufacturing still here. i guess broadcom is still in SJ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nobody on the whole drat planet seems to know the difference between silicon and silicone, both in writing and in speaking, and it drives me nuts.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

apple is the only one in FAANG who has a claim to making silicon, anyway

google does some chip design, but i think it’s all for datacenters

ignoring the arbitrary faang thing, iiuc qualcomm has a pretty substantial contingent in santa clara

intel used to do a lot of chip design in santa clara but i think they canned most of that division and consolidated in oregon

there are also a bunch of startups doing poo poo like ml and network accelerators

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

nobody on the whole drat planet seems to know the difference between silicon and silicone, both in writing and in speaking, and it drives me nuts.

silicone deez nutz

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rjmccall posted:

google does some chip design, but i think it’s all for datacenters

ignoring the arbitrary faang thing, iiuc qualcomm has a pretty substantial contingent in santa clara

intel used to do a lot of chip design in santa clara but i think they canned most of that division and consolidated in oregon

there are also a bunch of startups doing poo poo like ml and network accelerators

aren’t they also doing their own phone chips now or whatever

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Maximo Roboto posted:

Uh I would argue it’s the opposite, i haven’t lived there in nearly a decade now but it seemed like most of the big companies (Apple, Facebook, Google) were in all of the little towns south of SF while SF itself was mostly fart sound apps and hip adtech garbage and other smaller company stuff. A lot of my coworkers lived in SF and commuted down to Mountain View (where we worked) because the Bay Area was so boring, but I never got the impression it lacked jobs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bssoil posted:

silicone deez nutz

the technical term is "titty gently caress"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

all of that region, sf, silicon valley, and surrounding towns, is all the same thing to anyone who doesn’t live there aside from nerds who actually think it matters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
same with kitchener-waterloo, really

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

all of southern Ontario runs together despite it being what a 6 hour drive?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a disturbingly homogeneous region

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well. the equivalent city here is toronto, i bet half of canada barely knows where kw even is

hobbesmaster posted:

all of southern Ontario

a disturbingly homogeneous region

i think you mean northern ohio

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

i think you mean northern ohio

pfft, toledo wishes it had a river of fire

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
packing maximum Canadians south of the 49th parallel

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

mediaphage posted:

well. the equivalent city here is toronto, i bet half of canada barely knows where kw even is

Right thanks for reminding me to check that, got an interview for a job in kw this week and all I know is it's down somewhere in the not quite Toronto part of Ontario

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm so sorry

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bssoil posted:

Right thanks for reminding me to check that, got an interview for a job in kw this week and all I know is it's down somewhere in the not quite Toronto part of Ontario

haha. do you know which burb offhand

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

mediaphage posted:

haha. do you know which burb offhand
UoW

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

welcome to silicon valley north

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you too can join the ranks of the best engineers in canada

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

such towering heights

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh i missed you even said kw in your post. i lived there for a few years and honestly it was nice. close enough to take the go bud to toronto for the weekend, far enough that it’s not super crowded. decent beer, at least one good coffee shop, fun vegan punk cafe and indie cinemas, etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

oh i missed you even said kw in your post. i lived there for a few years and honestly it was nice. close enough to take the go bud to toronto for the weekend, far enough that it’s not super crowded. decent beer, at least one good coffee shop, fun vegan punk cafe and indie cinemas, etc.

there's a train!

it doesn't run all the way to kw on weekends though, so you still have to bus it to brampton, because lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there's a train!

it doesn't run all the way to kw on weekends though, so you still have to bus it to brampton, because lol

yeah the go bud is just easier to get to though i took the go train occasionally too

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

mediaphage posted:

the go bud
:420:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol siri knows me

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

rjmccall posted:

ignoring the arbitrary faang thing, iiuc qualcomm has a pretty substantial contingent in santa Clara

Yeah but they're a San Diego shop, which is good for the ol' whale's vagina

mediaphage posted:

all of that region, sf, silicon valley, and surrounding towns, is all the same thing to anyone who doesn’t live there aside from nerds who actually think it matters

SF actually has density so it gets insulted as a bonafide city for 1) homelessness, 2) property crime, 3) more dogs than kids, 4) wantrepreneur tech bros rather than the Office Space set, 5) rampant unaffordability leading to the previous, oh and 6) libs that turn ultra-reactionary at the slightest hint of 1) and 2)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Maximo Roboto posted:

Yeah but they're a San Diego shop, which is good for the ol' whale's vagina

SF actually has density so it gets insulted as a bonafide city for 1) homelessness, 2) property crime, 3) more dogs than kids, 4) wantrepreneur tech bros rather than the Office Space set, 5) rampant unaffordability leading to the previous, oh and 6) libs that turn ultra-reactionary at the slightest hint of 1) and 2)

yeah i dont care that whole region is sf from this far away

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRsycWRQrc8&t=83s
(tagged at 1:23)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

silicone: big tits
silicon: big nerds