Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaisinPower
Jan 25, 2024

Nessus posted:

Unrelated question for me, a local herbivore: Are there any good dharma talks that it would be easy to get onto my phone for listening while walking? I liked Plum Village but all of their dharma talks seem to require you to have the app open and in video mode, so it's not great for what I'm going for.

Sorry to reply to a question from like two years ago. I'm new to SA, catching up on the Buddhism thread, saw this on page 34 and wanted to mention dhammatalks.org. There is a pretty big collection of talks there that don't require youtube and can be played directly or downloaded as mp3 if you like. I haven't listened to more than a few minutes, but it seems legit so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaisinPower
Jan 25, 2024

Tea Party Crasher posted:

So that's what I think compassion is. Recognizing who people are and that they are complete, and taking action from there.

I've been reading through Old Path White Clouds recently. It's an easy read, like a modern story about the Buddha. Your comment reminded me of a passage where the Buddha, having just realized the Way, was explaining it to the village children who visited him.

"Understanding leads to tolerance and love. When all beings understand one another, they will accept and love one another. Then there will not be much suffering in the world. What do you think, Svasti? Can people love if they are unable to understand?”

“Respected Teacher, without understanding love is most difficult. It reminds me of something that happened to my sister Bhima. One night she cried all night long until my sister Bala lost her patience and spanked Bhima. That only made Bhima cry more. I picked Bhima up and sensed that she was feverish. I was sure her head ached from the fever. I called Bala and told her to place her hand on Bhima’s forehead. When she did that she understood at once why Bhima was crying. Her eyes softened and she took Bhima into her arms and sang to her with love. Bhima stopped crying even though she still had a fever. Respected Teacher, I think that was because Bala understood why Bhima was upset. And so I think that without understanding, love is not possible.”

“Just so, Svasti! Love is possible only when there is understanding. And only with love can there be acceptance. Practice living in awareness, children, and you will deepen your understanding. You will be able to understand yourselves, other people, and all things. And you will have hearts of love. That is the wonderful path I have discovered.”