Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

same

things get heated and avatar lays down the law

"stop this childish display! even in elf's houses i've seen more sophisticated magic!" what the gently caress avatar, weehawk's an elf, you can't just say that

avatar is particularly memorable because most of his dialogue is in that generic stilted fantasy wizard english, but the voice actor plays him like a borscht belt comedian. combined with the actual-garden-gnome design and of course the horny aspect, the surreal presence of his character just cannot be described. somehow it works; i love him and would trust him with my life, though i fear his terrible powers and the wrath of his judgment

the fairies are loving rude as always, so avatar decides to terrify him with eldritch sorcery

the invocation is also uttered in the voice of a borscht belt comedian

oh no oh lord he's going to kill them all

then, while everyone is distracted, peace falls off the wagon

suddenly

were they following him all this time? :3:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

avatar makes it clear that he will kill these fairies. he can do it, and so help him he fully intends to

that was probably half their food stock for the winter

only the unconditional surrender of the fairies averts a war crime

as we will find out shortly, this fairy is a grown rear end man; i can only guess this disturbing expression is a sign of submission, like a dog pissing

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the fairies extend the hand of friendship

this loving thing is called sharn and he is apparently their king, as well as some kind of knight and protector of the realm and etc. if this is how their king behaves, imagine what their sex pests are like. i agree with weehawk; they're a wretched people

elinore and avatar cannot resist the fairies' foul charms, but weehawk is not fooled. the animators do an amazing job of conveying his burning hatred and disgust

he loving hates fairies

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

presented without comment

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

weehawk has a moment with his dinohorse away from all those fuckwits. he addresses it as westwind, which is what his steed from the start was called. but that thing definitely died! he built a shrine to it! why did he build a shrine to it if it wasn't dead? was it just sleeping? but then why

there is no time to contemplate the resurrecting dinohorse before weehawk notices that peace is missing. no sooner has he realised this than the team is hit by enemy fire from the woods!

yes!

i feel so much safer now

wait what

apparently elinore has disappeared? avatar immediately knows that the fairies have taken her further into the mountains in retribution for the king's death. how he knows this is unclear. but ok, if you insist

although peace turned traitor and (presumably) shot the fairy, he shows no apparent interest in harming weehawk or avatar. this just reaffirms my belief that, no matter what happens, there is a core of good in him (instilled by torture)

hallelujah fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 19, 2020

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
apparently nobody has ever been inside the stronghold of the mountain fairies; it is forbidden. it's clear that the rest of montagar feels the same creeping dread that i do toward the fairies. there's just something not quite right about them. but avatar and weehawk are heroes, so of course they stride boldly forth and it turns out to be a bad decision

loving weehawk immediately falls down a hole into a cavern filled with poisonous fumes. he tells avatar to leave him and avatar just does. he just leaves him! what the hell, i thought he was a wizard. what is the use of being a wizard if you can't even get an elf out of a hole

weehawk battles the lava lamp

oh poo poo

but then!

who is weehawk's saviour?

YES

unfortunately it seems poison gas affects peace too. in a nice reversal of events, weehawk stops him from falling off a cliff

and then the two of them share a moment

rip

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
at this point you will notice that the plot gets a bit confusing, and also hopefully you will notice that i choose not to draw attention to it, because to do so would be like criticising the anatomy in guernica (1937)

----------------

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i love this movie now and i love this thread. thank you op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
it's like if tolkien went "what's an allegory?" and just put swastikas on the orcs

google THIS

This whole thing walks that fine line between awesome and corny and also finds another fine line between childishly cartoonish and bloody with visible nips, and even yet another fine line between basically high fantasy with a touch of steampunk and computer font in the opening credits.

Nosfereefer

bakshi just rolls that way

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
oh my god what happens next :ohdear:

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
i decided against watching the film bc the commentary in the thread is more fun

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Barco Fiesta posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
iirc i think Sharn's voice actor is actually Mark Hamill. Lovin' this thread!

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Barco Fiesta posted:

Same

ultrafilter

It's okay if you have any questions.

magic cactus posted:

iirc i think Sharn's voice actor is actually Mark Hamill. Lovin' this thread!

Yep. The character's name is listed as Sean, but it's pretty clear that he's saying Sharn.

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives

im gonna watch it still but not until hallelujah finishes the thread

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thank you again for reading and appreciating :kimchi: as you can tell, this movie is a bit of a rough diamond. but i love it and will die for it

while i'm recovering in between bursts of activity, you may be interested in my bakshi lotr walkthrough. (trigger warning: legs)

and you can also follow the great man on twitter! i think the account is run by his grandkids or something, they're really dedicated to it, it's lovely

----------------

Goons Are Gifts

Barco Fiesta posted:

im gonna watch it still but not until hallelujah finishes the thread

Yeah same, I couldn't imagine spoiling myself before this thread made it to the finish line. My last few train rides have been blessed with this

FutonForensic

Thicc Goth Elf Wife

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

hallelujah posted:

this movie is a bit of a rough diamond. but i love it and will die for it

I feel the exact same way about the 186 minute version of Dune (1984)

Finger Prince

hallelujah posted:

thank you again for reading and appreciating :kimchi: as you can tell, this movie is a bit of a rough diamond. but i love it and will die for it

while i'm recovering in between bursts of activity, you may be interested in my bakshi lotr walkthrough. (trigger warning: legs)

and you can also follow the great man on twitter! i think the account is run by his grandkids or something, they're really dedicated to it, it's lovely

I found that LOTR thread in the Goldmine and loved the hell out of it! Bakshi's lord of the rings was such a defining thing of my childhood and taught me that sometimes great things just end, unsatisfyingly. I love the character design for Peace and his dinohorse.

Thanks for doing this thread!

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
avatar calls the fairy king a "little winged squirt" but he pronounces "winged" with two syllables

----------------

Scaly Haylie

today i have gained both an awareness and an appreciation of ralph bakshi, thank you op

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sorry about the delay! irl got on top of me, but things are less hectic now

back in elfland, things get bakshit

this sort of thing is going on because the fairies blame elinore for bringing in the forces of darkness and killing their king or their knight of the realm or whatever the gently caress he was. it inexplicably disturbs me that the leader was apparently... that other thing, but the fairies of the inner sanctum look like this

exactly what kind of society are they trying to operate here?

anyway, the following sequence of events should need little explanation

it's a tale as old as time

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the fantasy genre's most desirable romantic lead comes to the rescue

except he doesn't, because he completely ignores elinore's cries for help and shuns her to negotiate with the fairy... warlord? i don't know who the bearded guy is, but he's important (you can tell by the beard)

"my mission, o LORD, is to save the world from another holocaust"

at this point blackwolf manifests briefly to say that avatar is lying. at the same time, by apparent coincidence, an unidentified fairy shoots avatar with an arrow, but he maintains his zenlike composure in the face of adversity

meanwhile, this is still going on:

the fairy king is like "avatar could have murdered us all just then but he didn't, so i believe that he doesn't mean us any harm". so is he going to help them? no! the fairies don't care about the holocaust. he says he won't help or hinder them and then tells them to gently caress off. so avatar teleports them out of there, and elinore's sex pest golem thing is defeated at last by the harsh law of gravity

this was your plan, avatar! you wanted to visit the fairies! everybody said they hate the loving fairies, but you thought you knew better. now you've lost an elf, a peace, four dinohorses, you've killed the fairy king, and you've subjected us all to elinore's "fairy powers" for a frankly uncomfortable length of time. i'm beginning to lose faith in you

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

look at these fucks

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oh good job

obviously i have certain... issues... with the way elinore's character is presented, but i genuinely appreciate her brutality

realising eventually that they're standing knee-deep in snow, avatar rewards his long-suffering wife with, at last, some clothes!

well, it's a start

now avatar confesses that he has no idea where they are or in what direction they're supposed to be going. it is at this point that the viewer really begins to question whether avatar is in control of this situation, bakshi keeps you questioning until the bitter end! he pulls off this ambiguity with a deftness that most psychological horror writers could only dream of. we are given only a few reasons to trust avatar's judgment: he is a magical wizard, he loves his mother, he looks like a garden gnome, and he is clearly jewish. all of these are great traits, but does he really know what he's doing?

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i find myself questioning blackwolf's identity. avatar is clearly jewish, and so delia must have been jewish, which means that blackwolf is also jewish. but blackwolf loves hitler! sadly, even this dilemma is not irrelevant to situations that occur irl. fantasy is reality. and reality, in turn, can be made fantasy... it's there that the magic happens! but there is good magic and bad magic...

i love you mr bakshi

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
now comes a heartbreaking poetic depiction of the age gap marriage (old man, young woman). whoever it was who said that bakshi doesn't get allegory, eat your rear end!

avatar and elinore struggle downhill through the snow. he chose the worst possible place to bring them to, and even though he's trying to make light of the situation, he knows. he knows he's a gently caress-up of a wizard. of a husband. of a man

they try to shelter in a snow cave, but are buried. apparently wizards run on the same principles as conductive metals or discworld trolls, because avatar springs from the snow refreshed and restored in the morning

but elinore is clearly exhausted

they trudge through the snow until they disappear from view in the pallid distance, and i am genuinely dismayed

they're gone!! we all thought it was going to last

but then

:unsmith:

finally elinore collapses beneath a tree and seems about to succumb to hypothermia

when i watched lotr, i couldn't help but notice the artistic joy taken in the hobbits' big hairy manfeet. this unwavering admiration came either thanks to bakshi himself, or some beautiful lunatic high up in his tiny animation team. one day i'll find out, i need to know, who is the foot maniac

avatar gives his fate over to the LORD and volunteers to strike out blindly through the snow, to find help or die alone

and then

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they have been walking in loving CIRCLES all this time

avatar! old man! you've loving done it! you've killed your girlfriend, you've hosed your marriage, you're going to die in the loving snow and elfland will fall to the nazis

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
avatar resolves not to tell elinore that they've been walking in circles, and let her die unknowing

and then

hoofbeats in the snow!

assuming it's blackwolf's assassins come to finish them off, avatar and elinore prepare to fight to the death. they realise that there are multiple riders. this is it. they're going to die

"avatar? we really tried, didn't we."

"yes, elinore. and that's all anyone really could have done."

hallelujah fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 24, 2020

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i mean, i agree that they tried, but i'm not sure they were working from a coherent plan to begin with

nevertheless...

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

our heroes charge into certain death! i'm not looking it up, but i think avatar's spell here is "BRAXIS, FLAXIS, TRAXIS!!!". words to live by. incidentally, this frame is screenshot #420 in my wizards folder

oh!

oh poo poo

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i didn't hunt for those weehawk frames btw, i just hit pause twice in quick succession and they were given unto me

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

weehawk is ecstatic

peace, as always, a man of few words

oh, must you-

lol ok

----------------

ChubbyChecker

such a trove for avatars

Scaly Haylie

what country do the fairies represent op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lizard Wizard posted:

what country do the fairies represent op
i'm desperate to find this out lol, as soon as i'm done with the straight walkthrough i'll watch the directors' commentary. this is only my second time watching wizards, so i'm unveiling its secrets one by one

----------------