Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bitterandtwisted posted:

wan't that pee whittle's blood running down the trenches? he dead.
that was alfie, master of the titty pipe. peewhittle was last seen cowering in the trench, surrounded by corpses. so we've got blackwolf's baby on the loose, and a traumatised young elf with a grudge; perfect sequel material!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

If this movie wasn't obviously mage in the 70s, I'd swear the script was written by an AI.
there's nothing quite like the thrilling twists and turns of a narrative powered entirely by weed

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

hallelujah posted:

there's nothing quite like the thrilling twists and turns of a narrative powered entirely by weed

You chose the correct forum for this thread. . .

BYOB: a narrative powered entirely by weed

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i lost it when the good wizard just clint eastwooded the evil one. what the hell. what is even going on here. am i having a stroke. this is the best movie ever

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
is this anything like bakshi's lotr movie where they literally ran out of money half way thru, or was this made intentionally while everyone involved were off their heads on acid?

Goons Are Gifts

Showed a friend of mine who isn't a goon this thread, now we are going to have a big viewing party to watch this movie, thank you avs

ultrafilter

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nosfereefer posted:

is this anything like bakshi's lotr movie where they literally ran out of money half way thru, or was this made intentionally while everyone involved were off their heads on acid?

It's both.

Nosfereefer

i think i understand why bakshi always ran out of funding

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nosfereefer posted:

both, lol

Goons Are Great posted:

Showed a friend of mine who isn't a goon this thread, now we are going to have a big viewing party to watch this movie, thank you avs
this makes me so happy :unsmith: if i achieve nothing else in my life, helping to usher in bakshi's late-life renaissance will get me through the pearly gates

----------------

ultrafilter

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do Fire and Ice next.

Nosfereefer

its like four different movies clipped together into a fever dream, and its just perfect

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

supposedly there's a script for a Wizards 2 :getin:

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

supposedly there's a script for a Wizards 2 :getin:
holy poo poo

----------------

google THIS

It's easy to imagine that they wanted to do an epic final battle scene but the budget ran out so they just pulled a

and went that's a wrap. Really curious to hear if the director's commentary hints at anything like that now.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

google THIS posted:

It's easy to imagine that they wanted to do an epic final battle scene but the budget ran out so they just pulled a

and went that's a wrap. Really curious to hear if the director's commentary hints at anything like that now.

it's definitely easy to imagine, but I really hope the ending was exactly how Ralph invisioned it. its a perfect ending, really, just pure genius. a big wizard battle would've stunk imho

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

a big wizard battle would have felt contrived. it's been clearly established throughout the film that Blackwolf is stronger than Avatar, so Avatar's only chance at besting him is with some sort of trick. A whole battle with the guy before pulling the trick out of his hat would've just been meeting him halfway—better to just shoot the nazi without giving him a chance. Also it's obviously super funny, and totally inline with Avatar's character

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

a big wizard battle would have felt contrived. it's been clearly established throughout the film that Blackwolf is stronger than Avatar, so Avatar's only chance at besting him is with some sort of trick. A whole battle with the guy before pulling the trick out of his hat would've just been meeting him halfway—better to just shoot the nazi without giving him a chance. Also it's obviously super funny, and totally inline with Avatar's character
absolutely this

also, if you will recall their tense rendezvous on the seashore, abdul's viking squad ambushed a blackwolf battalion and stole all their weapons. the rest of the story is a garden of beautiful chaos where plot points dance about like butterflies, but avatar randomly having a gun makes perfect sense. he knew what he was doing all along. i was wrong to have ever questioned him

----------------

Stoner Sloth

thanks OP, thinking of that ending still makes me smile after all these years. no loving about, just shoot the nazi always made sense to me.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

ChubbyChecker

mark hamill did a nice va role

Tin Tim

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

hallelujah posted:

he knew what he was doing all along. i was wrong to have ever questioned him
What I like about avatar as a protagonist is that he appears so clumsy and sorta dopey on the surface. I mean if you were to show a pic of him to someone that doesn't know the movie they'd assume he was one of snow white's dwarfs or something. But he's in fact pretty powerful and gets things done. But not in an over-the-top hero way but rather mundane or tricksy. Just a good character all around

Goons Are Great posted:

That's real neat!

Also whenever I got into a talk about weird and cool animation movies I always end up talking about Dead Leaves and I'm consistently surprised by how few people know about it. It's mostly a fun movie with the substance crammed into the ending but I adore every moment of it and the style is really good and cool

The trailer is in japanese with english subs but there is a full release in english and I can recommend it if you have a bit of time to kill and enjoy the visuals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFBd7A_IvgU

Also if you wanna get REAL weird then there is Tale of Tales by Yuri Norstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ52H1YlOm4

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 28, 2020

Thank you Pot Smoke Phoenix!

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

google THIS posted:

Avatar uses "gently caress it, here's a gun." It's super effective!

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
good thread OP this has been a wild ride

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ok, i thought before i started that i might be able to do a one-post tl;dr on the directors' commentary. but it turns out bakshi is a fountain of animation knowledge, so it's going to take multiple posts. this is a good thing

spoiler: he hates disney

spoiler 2: avatar was inspired by columbo (e: and bakshi's dad :kimchi:), and

bakshi posted:

elinore is my first girlfriend

hallelujah fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 29, 2020

----------------

hallelujah

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
one further note: the voice actor for THEY'VE KILLED FRITZ is none other than bakshi himself!

----------------

Goons Are Gifts

A passionate man that deserves respect for his art

ChubbyChecker

hallelujah posted:

ok, i thought before i started that i might be able to do a one-post tl;dr on the directors' commentary. but it turns out bakshi is a fountain of animation knowledge, so it's going to take multiple posts. this is a good thing

pls post more stuff from the director's commentary

free hubcaps

hallelujah posted:

one of my favorite recurring pieces of the commentary is how obviously happy he is with the coloring job, he mentions it multiple times

also

ultrafilter posted:

Do Fire and Ice next.

ty Saoshyant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

ok I'm gonna goldmine this now, thank you so much avs, this was a lovely ride :peanut: