Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

notanarsonist posted:

3-6am i'm always wide awake. I've worked full time graveyard shifts for almost 2 years now. Money is pretty alright for what i do, and i like it because i'm not a people person, so the only things that talk back are the machines and floors i clean. Lately though, i'm beginning to realize the full price of these shifts, which is costing more than the companies money.

I recently took 8 weeks off work. They shut down on account of the bug going around, and instead of switching to mornings, i opted to take life easy and live off that federal check that went around. During that time, i saw friends i had not seen in forever, and met new people both irl and online. But as i returned, those relationships dissapeared as quickly as my exposure to the sun. My old friends miss hanging out at reasonable hours, and the new friends i've made thought i fell off the face of the earth. I catch them from time to time (mostly the online people) on the weekends, when they can stay up late. But they've already done their gaming/drinking/party for the night, and i only get a handful of minutes before the party winds down and people start heading to bed.

I was fairly content with the work situation before my vacation, but now that my eyes are open and i realize the life i'm forefitting in exchange for work, it's hitting me hard. I'm almost 30, and my friends are living their lives right before mine. Out of state trips, camping and fishing expeditions. Marriages, kids, deaths in the family. All of it is taking a backseat to my career, and i'm being left on the sidelines. A decent relationship also has yet to be found, and it's not going to get easier to find in my 30's.

May this rant serve not only as decent bathroom reading material, but as a potential cry for help. Hopefully it doesn't hit too close to home with anyone else reading this.

I know this is a stupid and obvious thing to say but really, find a way to switch it up. Talk to your work about some different shifts if they have them? Night shifts are certainly a fine way to live, but it seems you might be like me where it’s chill to live in a state where you’re not necessarily unhappy, but not good. I can totally relate to what you posted, and it sounds like you’ve realized something you might find worth doing between work shifts. If you let the return to normal ride too long, you’ll forget how much better it feels until you catch another one of those fleeting returns to living.

Anyway it’s goin on 4am and I’m chillin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Jigglesby posted:

what were the b52's flying through earlier flying for? can't think of a use for them at this late hour
man b52s sound cool

I think those were spy planes headed to my house to watch me.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

caleb posted:

They are doing construction on the apartment next door to mine and they were using a buzzsaw or something all day which is annoying but whatever. They left a fan or something on when they were done and it's vibrating the walls and it sounds like someone is learning Morse code on a bass guitar. It's a low enough frequency that earplugs do not block it out.
I think I'm going to have to go sleep in my car. gently caress this stupid planet

The girl who lived above me at my last place busted out some kind of space heater when winter started that basically just rumbled a super loud sine wave through the floor of the bedroom. It wasn’t audible from other parts of the house but after like two weeks of not being able to sleep I knocked on her door and asked if she knew what that sound was. I gave her a rug to put under it and I’m hoping the rug worked, because the other option is that she felt bad enough to just stop using it and I wasn’t trying to make that happen.

That poo poo was literally driving me insane though

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Cry Havoc posted:

a phone call made me realize I’m wrong

please elaborate... in detail

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

if i forgot a can of beer in the freezer and it almost exploded can i still drink it or will i die a painful death. if i can drink it and die with no pain then that is ok.

Just be careful about brain freeze!