Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

"yeah lots of voters trying to decide between bernie and biden well anyway here's a voter wondering whether to vote for amy or pete - we'll be talking to them all night"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

oh it's lester loving holt as well? wow this is gonna be bad

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

metasynthetic posted:

Oh, good to know. I already don't always tip depending on how mad I am at the DNC on any given day but I was pleased with everyone gutting Bloomer tonight.
Wait - does that money go to the loving DNC?

I want my tips back, in that case.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I am not sure whether the delegate question was meant as a softball for Bernie or as a grenade for the Democratic party. In this primary it's easy to envision a scenario where Bernie gets a plurality of delegates but not actually enough to win the nomination straight up. It made logical and ethical sense for the other candidates to say that they wouldn't automatically support Bernie in that scenario, especially since his voter % would very probably be significantly less than his delegate %. It was, frankly, smarmy of Bernie to not cut that line of questioning off at the knees.

Crumbskull posted:

How do you figure it makes ethical sense?
Because Bernie might win!

Any course of action that might result in a win, and for that matter any exercise of power over and above just turning the "democracy" crank to see what comes out, is unethical behavior to a liberal.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Lol.

I wonder what other principles you guys are willing to throw away if the will of the majority is on the chopping block already.
In the case that the top candidate only has a plurality of the delegates, by what process do you think a candidate should be chosen? Again, and unfortunately, Democratic primaries don't do ranked choice. They should - but they don't.

It's pretty clear that the candidate with the plurality of the delegates has the strongest claim to the nomination, isn't it? Who else would?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

He would not be the winner by any rule of the contest, nor any democratic principle.
This bolded part is total dogshit. Not every democratic process - and no national election in the United States - requires an absolute majority to declare a winner. Bill Clinton won the Presidency twice without ever getting the majority of votes.

You can argue that better democratic processes require a majority, probably with some sort of preference voting or, failing that, actual rounds (like a caucus), and I would agree. But, the Democratic nomination contest is not set up that way. It is actually even worse than first-past-the-post by delegates, in that it allows for unelected "delegates" (they are not really delegates - no one voted for them and they are not there to represent anyone other than themselves) to swing the nomination to anyone they choose in the second round, if there is a second round. In the past this was based on the shared delusion - partially a lie - that they would not really overrule the will of the Democratic electorate by nominating anyone other than the candidate with the most elected delegates. Now we are facing a scenario where there is a very real possibility that they might really do that, and you are kind of an anti-democratic rear end in a top hat for suggesting that that's all well and good, and even justified. Again, there is no one with the stronger claim to the nomination than the candidate with the most delegates, and any kind of "well this other candidate is what most of the people really want" is so open to abuse and bias as to be obvious to anyone, even you.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 20, 2020

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

:wtc:

Are you loving serious? Delegation is the foundation of our entire system of government.

That's it. I'm out. Y'all are broke-brained.
Yeah, the poster who wants the nomination to go to one of the candidates who got fewer votes and delegates than one of the other candidates, and calls this Very Democratic, is the real Big Brain Genius in this thread. The rest of us here suggesting that the nomination should go to the winner of the delegate count and the popular vote - we're the anti-democratic ones.

Good riddance. I'll just go ahead and report any further posts from you here since you promised you'd leave.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

VitalSigns posted:

Man I really wanted Medicare For All, but the Superdelegates in congress that nobody voted for said no again and passed the Pfizer Gets Your Firstborn If You Can't Pay For Insulin Act instead, I guess that was the democratic will of the voters, better luck next year!
Hey you probably know this but just FYI: a lot of the superdelegates aren't even elected. Like they don't hold an elected office. They're just, like party hot-shots or something. Some of them used to hold some elected office, but there are superdelegates who have literally never won an election, ever.

Totally cool and good to let them decide the party nominee. Very democratic.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Not sure I can get behind just shitcanning regional representation entirely.

Also, FPTP > IRV is a hell of claim to make and your edge-case hypothetical does not remotely come close to proving it.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

ArbitraryC posted:

Honestly don’t see deadly shoe’s point here.
"Bernie Sanders should not be allowed to win the Democratic nomination for President of the United States."

That's it - no need to dig deeper. If Sanders' and Biden's roles were reversed he'd be here howling about how the superdelegates need to hand the candidate with the plurality of the delegates the nomination and that to do anything else would be both undemocratic and severely dangerous to the party's chances in November both at the top of the ballot and everywhere else. You don't need to dig around in the entrails of arguments like these to try to divine some hidden and deeper meaning: what you're looking at is mostly poo poo.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Sorry tangent here, but your avatar is very confusing. You were banned like 11 years ago but my first thought is that you were just recently banned.

Honestly I could buy you a new avatar if you message me an image and title. Or I could venmo you or something, please change your avatar. Am I the only person that finds that weird?

E: grammar
it's fine, it's fine

I've taken care of it

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

VitalSigns posted:

How do I explain the problems of approval voting in a way so simple even a quivering lib can understand.

Okay: there's an election for Headmaster of Hogwarts between Albus Dumbledore, Voldemort, and Dolores Umbridge whose platform is "maybe you don't think I'm perfect but vote for me to keep Voldemort out"

9,998 voters want Dumbledore to win but they're so scared of Voldemort they'll vote for Umbridge too just in case. Voldemort votes for himself and Umbridge. Umbridge votes for herself only because she cares more about winning than beating Voldemort.

Final numbers:
10,000 Umbridge
9,998 Dumbledore
1 Voldemort

Umbridge is elected even though 99.98% of the voters didn't want her to win. Do you see the issue now.
Isn't Dumbledore an anti-Semite though?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

uh I was just trying to channel jkrowling I don't know if dumbledore is an anti-Semite :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah no poo poo, if you let individual voters pick as many candidates as they like someone could win with fewer unique individual voters. That’s called consensus and it’s part of the design.
I don't get how approval voting is supposed to be better than IRV / Ranked Choice / whatever. The latter gathers more information from voters to determine their preference - wouldn't that naturally lead to a result closer to what the electorate wanted?