Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Move over messenger bags! Take a hike, backpacks! There's a new trendy way to carry your stuff around, and it's called a bindle!

Once mainly the province of 1930's hobos the bindle is making a comeback of sorts with the millennial crowd. From Mountain View, California to New York CIty you can see young technopreneurs on foot and on scooter with a rod and sack over one shoulder as they browse their smartphones. The future is now in the form of a piece of burlap wrapped around a tablet PC, last night's Thai food, and some mind expanding substances.

Many use these bindles to carry what few belongings they deem necessary on the few excursions they take from the office, and are "home free", usually sleeping at or under their desks at work, without keeping a permanent residence outside of their work place. Some debate what materials are best for a bindle. Should the rod be metal or wood? If so which type of metal or wood? What kind of cloth should be used for the package? Some stick with the classic bandanna idea, while others claim that it's use is largely a media creation who's imagery only cropped up years after the bindle died out in North America. These purist usually use burlap (old coffee sacks are a popular choice) or linen (usually from upcycled tablecloths or sheets). Some ignore tradition altogether, using materials such as surplus army tarps, rubber impregnated cloth, or even survival blankets (sometimes this serves as a tiny house as well).

For the influencer on the go, it's clear, the bindle is the must have item for 2020 with many luggage and handbag companies planning to roll out their new bindle lines in the next few months. Others have started online bindle communities where materials to build your bindle from are discussed as well as useful everyday items that should be carried with it. So whether your trying to hop on a train for your morning commute, or train hopping onto a freight car to get to the next town over, you're going to need your bindle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Gonna buy a pre-distressed top hat at the new bindle store

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Carrying my Keurig in a bindle for that fresh brewed on the go experience

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

peeling the sole of one boot off halfway because I can't afford real Hobo Bootz

Heather Papps

hello friend

some will tell you the way you fold your bindle doesn't matter, and that is the talk of a road pup. proper bindle knots have saved my life and my can of beans more times than i can count. actually, yes i can. i carved a notch into my bindlestick each time having a tightly secured bindle saved me, and the amount is 43.

sometimes the hobowolves came for me and the only thing that kept me travellin' was my bindle kata.

sometimes a hootenanny gets wild and someone tries to toss ya off the train, and anchoring my button collection in the door hing so i can climb back in is the only choice beyond the ditch tumble express.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

wouldn't trade my bindle for a can of infinite beans

Yinlock

the bindle never left op

Escape From Noise

The hippest thing on a stick!

Finger Prince

Yinlock posted:

the bindle never left op

I was carrying a bindle before it was cool.

deep dish peat moss

anyone else rocking a 10'? I got the 10' raildog 3600. It's the model that doubles as a fishing pole which sounds like it would make a great addition to my commute but the last time I brought it on the train I almost got beat up. Any tips for convincing people that my bindle isn't a weird safety blanket for ents? (that's actually what this kid yelled at me when he pushed me out the door)

Escape From Noise

deep dish peat moss posted:

anyone else rocking a 10'? I got the 10' raildog 3600. It's the model that doubles as a fishing pole which sounds like it would make a great addition to my commute but the last time I brought it on the train I almost got beat up. Any tips for convincing people that my bindle isn't a weird safety blanket for ents? (that's actually what this kid yelled at me when he pushed me out the door)

Escape From Noise

Tactical bindle with stainless steel matte black rod and Kevlar bundling cloth. One end detaches to reveal a hunting knife while the opposite end contains a detachable LED flashlight. The rod can also be used as a bo staff.

Heather Papps

hello friend

makin' a mint selling pickatinny rail hardware for bindlesticks

Galaxander

Ahhgh, you can tell the kid who just got on the train is a fauxbo because they keep talking about their bindle and pronouncing it bind-ul. You raelly want "in" you should have spent that money on cans of beans instead of a pre-distressed hat. *sigh* Guess I'm taking this kid under my wing.

Escape From Noise

Tired-Tiny house
Wired-Jumping railcars

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Dutch word for bindle is "knapzak"

Escape From Noise

Napzack is also slang for a sleepy fauxbo

Finger Prince

oliwan posted:

The Dutch word for bindle is "knapzak"

Huh, growing up we used to call backpacks knapsacks. But nobody was Dutch.

City of Glompton

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Tactical bindle with stainless steel matte black rod and Kevlar bundling cloth. One end detaches to reveal a hunting knife while the opposite end contains a detachable LED flashlight. The rod can also be used as a bo staff.

whoa

Galaxander posted:

Ahhgh, you can tell the kid who just got on the train is a fauxbo because they keep talking about their bindle and pronouncing it bind-ul. You raelly want "in" you should have spent that money on cans of beans instead of a pre-distressed hat. *sigh* Guess I'm taking this kid under my wing.

lol

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://lookatthisfuckingoogle.tumblr.com/
hobo gatekeeping is the funniest thing ever

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

bindles bundled in my bindle, got your baby wearing bangles
watch it swinging from the stick just love the way it dangles
bindles every single day they got a grip that strangles
bindles hold my powdered drugs with only folds at angles

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant