Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

admanb posted:

They're very good. Kind of tricky to learn, but very strong and rewarding. I almost took the plunge but at the last moment my eyes were drawn by SHIELD and I've played nothing else since.

I own all the models though.

I've had some great games with X-Men. There's been several times somebody's taken a swing at Honey Badger and then X-23 wrecked the person who did it and then used her ability to attack again and then down somebody else.

Laura > Logan is what I'm saying. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Adding Kurt and Bobby certainly makes it more tempting for me, but this also makes it seem like I can work on my A-Force and Inhumans rosters while everyone else goes mutant-wild.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

They're very good. Kind of tricky to learn, but very strong and rewarding.
what's tricky about "activate First Class t1, do a double move to steal 1 midline and back up, then do a Storm hop, grab the other midline extract, retreat" ?
It's a dead-simple affiliation with very simple, repeatable play patterns and a big roster but not much variance in teams. Cyclops is outright embarassing as a second leader option and would be the worst 4 in the game if not for OG DD

Dawgstar posted:

She's the best there is at what he does :elon:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dawgstar posted:

Just like the comics.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

what's tricky about "activate First Class t1, do a double move to steal 1 midline and back up, then do a Storm hop, grab the other midline extract, retreat" ?
It's a dead-simple affiliation with very simple, repeatable play patterns and a big roster but not much variance in teams. Cyclops is outright embarassing as a second leader option and would be the worst 4 in the game if not for OG DD

Because when you're playing against good opponents, just being able to do a couple safe grabs isn't enough to win you the game and at that point making good use of the hop every round will decide the game.

I'm not saying they're not a powerful faction -- they undoubtably are, but being powerful and having some obvious play patterns doesn't make it dead simple.

You're right about Cyclops but their roster variety isn't much worse than any of the power factions. They tend to have similar cores, but there's plenty of variation in characters 6-10.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hoboskins posted:

from my understanding everything shown here is next year except maybe the wakanda stuff? I have to admit though If i was a wakanda player I would be pretty drat salty getting another BP and killmonger when the two you already have are fine.

I've heard that recently too i.e. all the x-men stuff isn't until next year, which kind of pissed me off a bit because why show stuff for 2024 as early as March 2023? I assume since all of it looks complete that they have something like Fantastic Four queued up because why on earth do you preview completed stuff like that so early.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

When you preview a bunch of stuff at once you need to spread it out so there are still surprises. They did the same thing with ministrav, though not quite as far out.

I assume the reason they spoiled 2024 X-Men stuff specifically is because the amount of requests there are for that X-Men stuff.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Shadowcat and Nightcrawler are two of my favorite x-men characters, so I'll probibly get them. I havn't been really focusing on a single faction, but not really collecting them all either, I've mostly goten GotG and web warriors.

If I had any skill/confidence in modding, I'd totally mod Shadowcat to be a pirate (from Mauraders)

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Say I don't want to buy the 2022 card pack. Am I SOL on using things like "All Webbed Up" as my copy is the old spider-icon one?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

drgnvale posted:

Say I don't want to buy the 2022 card pack. Am I SOL on using things like "All Webbed Up" as my copy is the old spider-icon one?

nope. All cards with the same name are legal copies of the card.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I wonder if they’re gonna chill on releases for a minute to let shatterpoint breathe. or champions, not sure how closely asmodee manages them in relation to FFGs stuff

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

John Romero posted:

I wonder if they’re gonna chill on releases for a minute to let shatterpoint breathe. or champions, not sure how closely asmodee manages them in relation to FFGs stuff

I doubt Champions competes with them for release times, but Shatterpoint might.

I wouldn't expect too much of a reprieve, though. People shouted "dead game" when models had a delay during shipping crises during the pandemic, and that was like 1-2 months of delays.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

not making shatterpoint a straight reskin of MCP so I can have Doc Ock throw Yoda at Boba Fett proves AMG are cowards

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

DLC Inc posted:

I've heard that recently too i.e. all the x-men stuff isn't until next year, which kind of pissed me off a bit because why show stuff for 2024 as early as March 2023? I assume since all of it looks complete that they have something like Fantastic Four queued up because why on earth do you preview completed stuff like that so early.

I have an active bet that F4 are this year with my friends. All of the people in my group were bewildered by the preview choices. Some ideas that made sense were that they were showing x-men stuff because it is a popular franchise and non MCP players are more likely to get excited over it. They have another Ministravaganaza event planned and wanted to keep the "good stuff" until then.

Either way to the existing player base who are not x-men focused it felt a bit tone deaf, especially if you are say really keen on Defenders or Midnight Sons etc. I am personally hoping that the Crisis card pack also includes other character card updates, it seems like a wasted release if it just has 20 cards or so and some tokens. There are plenty of characters who need tweaks or just flat out reworks.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

There'll be plenty of unannounced releases between now and when most of that X-Men stuff comes out, yeah. X-Men are extremely popular, so teasing them well in advance makes sense. I don't really see it as "tone deaf" though -- MCP is not and will never be a game where all affiliations get equal releases.

The card pack is... well, the only reason to release a card pack is because it's nice to be able to say to new players "buy these things" rather than "go to this website and print these things." Also some people would just prefer to have official printed versions over PnP. They could just not release it, but printing cards (once you've done the design work) is basically free, so why not? However, I'd be very surprised if they followed up a massive re-design of the crises with a re-design of characters in less than half a year. That's an intense amount of work.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hoboskins posted:

I have an active bet that F4 are this year with my friends.

I'm still betting this as well given that this will be the 4-year anniversary of MCP, just makes too much sense if the X-Men are not this year and the ministravaganza stuff is still locked up.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Been tinkering with my photoshop skills, started adding the designed text of the character's name and better location/transparency on the character art. (still putting one side upside down for easier printing)... is this too dark a character moment for the injured portrait?

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
I picked up the weapon X rival panels set.

There's an extra sprue (E) attached to the motorbike. Is this just supposed to be basing bits? There aren't any instructions online.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

chippocrates posted:

I picked up the weapon X rival panels set.

There's an extra sprue (E) attached to the motorbike. Is this just supposed to be basing bits? There aren't any instructions online.

Yeah, it's just random bits for you to use

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Son of a gun, I just realized that there are little basing bits all over the base sprues. Glad I hadn't thrown all of the frames away...

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Yeah, it's just random bits for you to use

Great - I've started the basing X-23 and Honey Badger as being different from the usual city streets bases.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I wonder if we'll be seeing a Marauders affiliation. Kitty Pryde, Emma Frost, Bishop, Iceman, and Pyro are all going to be in the game so it feels possible?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

srypher posted:

I wonder if we'll be seeing a Marauders affiliation. Kitty Pryde, Emma Frost, Bishop, Iceman, and Pyro are all going to be in the game so it feels possible?

but the kitty pryde we're getting seems to be still in her xavier school outfit not krakoa. don't get me wrong I want more fun stuff but I just don't see it

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

but the kitty pryde we're getting seems to be still in her xavier school outfit not krakoa. don't get me wrong I want more fun stuff but I just don't see it

Well, judging by how many alt scupts/versions of characters they've released, I would not be surprised if Pirate Captain Kitty Pryde was in the plan.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If they were going to do Marauders wouldn't make more sense to do the classic villains, at least first? Just so we can expand beyond the Brotherhood for Xmen affiliations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have officially slain the gray and have no un-painted minis (other than some leftovers from the second core set but I have painted ones from the first core set anyway)

Gentlemen... behold!

video:
https://i.imgur.com/jO1a4jR.mp4

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Battle report!

I played two games after a very long time of not playing.
I was the guardians of the galaxy in both matches (My roster was Gamora, Nebula, Starlord, Drax, Groot, Rocket, Ronan and Winter soldier which I could fit into any combo of points).

(It was hard to not have the paper terrain shift a lot, sadly and excuse the unfinished newstand paintjob)

The first I was fighting against 3 sentinels (two regulars and a prime) with Doc Ock.One of the missions was the old Skrull mission (Didn't know there was an update)
The guardians scattered out, and I got lucky and found the skrull agent early with Ronan. (Actually Nebula, because I missed her ability that says she can't, but she didn't move anyway and quickly dropped it when she got stunned).

Groot threw Doc Ock against McDoom's ("I will doom your arteries"). Drax stood back and watched one of my control objectives. By round 5 I was winning by a good amount (14-1). but it was was clear my opponent wasn't going for points, he was aiming to kill. Nebula got squished, and Groot and Rocket also went down. Drax charged and headbutted a giant robot (one of the regular Mark 4s) and managed to stun in (just needed 1 damage). Ronan booked it back to the start area and Starlord hid behind the restaurant. My opponent conceded at the beginning of the last round, since there was no way of defeating a nearly full health Drax in time, and I was ahead on points and we wanted to have enough time for a second match.

The second fight was a different opponent playing Wakanda (Panther, Killmonger, Beta Rey and Thanos with two gems). I was getting slamed pretty early with 3 Stuns, and my opponent carying a ton of VP. Thanos kept pulling his daughters and beating them badly. Then the next round I managed to stun 3 of theirs leaving just Thanos up (who retreated to take a breather) and grabbed some of the secures, closing the gap. Unfortunately we ran out of time, and I find it possible but unlikely I would have caught up by the end.
This game I was using Winter Soldier as a semi-splash and I loved his Red Fury ability, which let him attack, rifle and then rapid fire.

Both games were fun, and I'm looking foreword to playing again in 2 weeks.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

You could paperclip the paper pieces together a bit. That'd be low profile enough and would probably reduce a lot of the movement.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

that's a good idea!

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

I’m a newbie and I have Thanos as well as all the Black Order characters on the way.

Anyone have list suggestions?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
did everyone stop playing this

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

No but there's no new models for a couple months and most people locally are trying Shatterpoint out.

Banning Follow Me and restricting Deception should shake things up.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I actually have some LVO qualifiers coming up the next few weeks. so I need to grind some games

summers are always hard in mini's land. plus 40K 10th just dropped so that took up a lot of energy. same with Shatterpoint release

I there's still ministravaganza this year. so I'm betting on a big surprise like Hydra and Shield last year

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

With the official Discord and a few local community discords I don’t feel the need to post here, but I’m still playing. Looking forward to a line-up of LVO qualifiers over the next three months.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I still play! Like other people, I mostly talk about stuff with my local group and in the gamestore discord, so I don't have a lot to share.

I played Inhumans into Spider Foes on the weekend and pulled off a solid win. I normally play Web Warriors so it had a very different feel. Lockjaw is a great battery and support for the team with Black Bolt's leadership, but it gets tough to guarantee the boost as the game progresses and his speed is tough. Looking forward to trying them against some other affiliations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I've been playing bi-weekly, though my group has been busy lately, so it's been a month or so.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I feel like I am at a weird place because I still really enjoy the game, but I don't really feel like adding more to my collection. I have a good amount of stuff but nothing else currently out interests me. I suppose that isn't a bad place to be. We'll see if there is anything in the next set of releases that grabs me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

From the big stream today:

-- Posted full-color version of Iceman, Shadowcat, Shadow King, Prof X, Bishop, and Nightcrawler, alongside pics of their tactics cards. Schick noted that "there's a new character spoiler on this one" and he pointed out one with Colossus/Shadowcat/Nimrod on it. Nimrod likely coming sometime later.

-- Gwenom/Scarlet Spider(Ben Reilly), and a Shocker/Vulture/Electro/Sandman(with sand minions) 4-pack, thus completing the Sinister Six. Also announced a Goblin/Doc Ock/Kraven/Mysterio 4-pack in the vein of the faction boxes we've seen before.

-- "Timeline Event" tournaments announced

-- Previewed a BRAND NEW CORE SET, "Earth's Mightiest" with completely revamped miniatures for Fall 2023. Includes new Spider-Man, Cap, Iron-Man, Captain Marvel, Red Skull, Ultron, Black Widow, Winter Soldier, Doc Ock sculpts. Appears that all the characters have different names like "Doc Ock, Sinister Scientist" and "Spectacular Spider Man" so stat cards and abilities will now be extremely different. They previewed a few of them, for example new Steve Rogers has a new leadership ability/Perfect Block. Can't be understated how loving amazing the quality of these sculpts are compared to the OG box. Captain Marvel has a "transformed" alt sculpt now much like The Hood. New affiliations in the core box include not only Cabal/Avengers but Hydra/SHIELD thru Zemo and Iron Man.

--NEW DOC OCK FINALLY HAS A LEADERSHIP: SINISTER 6

-- New box has some new terrain i.e. a crushed car, bulldozers, the ruined cafe frm the xmen set, roadblocks.

-- Core box includes the 2023 card update!

---the "original" old characters will be available in the future in 2 4-packs. They will also be in multiple languages for the stat cards/tactic cards. (New core set will also get regional releases for other languages)

---GenCon will be previewing the new core set!

Crazy cool stuff though I was surprised they didn't say anything about Fantastic Four given it was the 4th anniversary. Explains why they've been so quiet but things look like they're ramping up a lot.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

doubleposting to showcase the extreme glowups

Youtube vid for the entire presentation now live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcg8vISYH4s

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am so pumped about the new Captain Marvel, for ages I've been grouchy during games when I use Binary Form and don't get to make a cool substitution like Emma or Hood. Now I do! Not sure I want the entry tax of buying Crossbones, Zemo2, etc. but I guess I'll probably fall for it anyway. The fact they are also all new versions is nice, at least you aren't just doubling up with alternative sculpts of your existing force.