Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

just assembled my core set last night, and gotta say- coming from Malifaux and Gremlins specifically having only two or three bullshit bits (Crossbones has a single pocket that needs attached? Zemo's elbow pads were irritating) it was pretty painless. I am a very novice minis person though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK played my first test game. Spider-friends are SUPER annoying!
my favored playstyle in minis games (at least back when I played Malifaux) was to have lots of very long range dudes threatening huge areas and shepherding the opponents minis into a safe area from my snipers (where a giant bruiser mini could rip them apart)
I have been told this is the Guardians between quill and rocket having tons of ranged damage and then groot loving poo poo up up close. c/d?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I want to get some interesting modern terrain (like gas stations or subway entrances) and I refuse to believe there isn't a model train scale that matches MCP mini sizes to do this, because gently caress paying $70 for Stranges Sanctum Santorum

H? HO?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

revising my previous statement: star-lords mini can get absolutely hosed.

his head is two halves, then his face mask is a Sliver that goes on the front while his hair is a fourth piece.

all four of these pieces, assembled, are the size of a ball bearing.

the most telling thing is that the sprue has duplicates of each on it, because they know you're going to lose one of these micropieces while gluing and they give you emergency backups

e: ahahhaha ofc

DLC Inc posted:

still laughing at the fact that a year ago I decided to choose Star-Lord as my first MCP miniature when he's one of the worst possible minis to begin with. A head that requires you to glue a tiny mask + hair on, microscopic jets to affix to the boots, finicky trenchcoat pieces.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 12, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I spent all day painting, you may now point and laugh as I am bad at painting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kaza42 posted:

Any mini painted in earnest is better than one left grey. Good on you for getting them painted up

I basically am Mr. Rogers at this point. I know I suck at painting, I wish I never had to paint another mini ever, I just like the actual game part and have no idea what you freaks find enjoyable about the frustration of creation.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

how do you do a wash on a figure like Red Skull where he's already 90% black? serious q, I am new to painting (and suck at drybrushing)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

thanks for the help! I can't imagine ever fielding Red Skull (I mean, he is literally a Nazi) but that will be handy on future figs for sure.

OK, now that I've played a bunch of games and enjoy MCP and can really get in to the hero thing, I have an issue.

Problem: I enjoy playing Guardians, but other than getting to say "I am Groot" once per turn, I really don't get to make funny voices or evil cackles much.

Solution:

oh no

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

congrats because those 3 boxes legit contain 5 of the best sculpts AMG has ever made imo. Carnage is a bit finicky to assemble but he's not too bad.

On the other hand I just assembled the Asgardians and lol at whoever made the instruction booklet/sprue for Valkyrie. Legit missing like 3 steps in the foldout + I want to strangle whoever made that "glue 2 hair/skull pieces to half a face" decision.

Meanwhile the new X-Men boxes are sometimes as simple as "put leg and arm on Colossus, done" so thank christ they've improved with this.

Rocket's base being Groot's tendril shooting out of the ground while Groot's mini is him thrusting a tendril into the ground is legit my favorite piece I've seen, but the Lizard mini exploding out of the sewers is absolutely gorgeous and I love it a lot.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

These are not done (except Carnage because somehow I loving nailed it), but as "table-ready," and just needing a few touch-ups, I'm super happy. Sinister Syndicate (gently caress calling them "Spider-Foes" :spidey: ) really are the dopest loving sculpts in the game.

(I am aware using a badly self-focusing camera phone does these no justice, but trust me they own)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

my philosophy with terrain is that it should be mostly white and Grey to avoid standing out too much and detracting from readability on the board, but still have a splash of color to be Interesting. picked up an O scale 50s ranch TV station, I give you....

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

had great time playing my Guardians vs an Avengers team of Tony, Steve, Carol and Rogue
I had to leave early due to overnight work, but it was close the whole way and would have come down to the last turn and a few dice rolls.
Other than a heinously bad set of choices on turn 1 wrt Rocket & Groot, I think I finally understand how to play Guardians now. Hooray!

setup was 17pts, Spider-Infected/Gamma Shelters

KO'd his Rogue and had both Steve and Carol at 3hp with all my guys at full energy and his on empty when we had to call it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

I'm guessing the Guardians' buffs work, huh?

Winging It is sooooo much better now, having to spend a card to activate it was literally insane, new mode of "three 2-die rerolls spread out" comes in handy. It still takes a bit of planning to know who's going to actually need it - I definitely had turns when I only used 2/3 of the Winging It tokens, but it was clutch every time.

Rocket not needing to literally suckle on Groot's teat from 1 away and getting to range out to 2-3 from time to time was important too, because Captain Marvel Danvers-Specialed Groot all over the place, but the less-odious spacing restrictions made it so I could still have Groot tank and when it mattered hit the Deadly Duo.

Also Nebula's sculpt, despite being very cool looking, obviously immediately fell off its base from the tiny bit of contact on her knee, so I just had her base on the field :(

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ira Glass posted:

All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But it's like there is this gap. For the first couple years that you're making stuff, what you're making isn't so good. It’s not that great. It’s trying to be good, it has ambition to be good, but it’s not that good.

But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is good enough that you can tell that what you're making is kind of a disappointment to you. A lot of people never get past that phase. They quit.

And if you are just starting out or if you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work (...) It is only by going through a volume of work that you're going to catch up and close that gap. And the work you're making will be as good as your ambitions.
which is to say, this is how far I've come in a month. Very happy with Bullseye

Of course, I need to stop photographing them so that I can see every awful thing and missed brushstroke, because now I have to go back and touch it up for another half hour.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Battle Report!

3-round 3-box challenge. 7 players. I thought I'd be the only one bringing Gobby and friends, but fully half the field was on Spider-Foes (3/7). Pics and stories!

Round 1 I had a bye, but got to witness the funniest possible thing that can happen. X-Force had Deadpool summon a Chimichanga. But! It seems that while Doc Ock and Norman were strapping pumpkin bombs to every bystander (Well-Laid Plans TTC), they snuck a tiny pumpkin bomb into Wade's burrito (or maybe it was his bombs from a previous mission he forgot about, either way - classic Wade!) and it exploded.

Round 2 I was up against X-Men. Storm was annoying all game, shows how far you can push a leadership power that is 1/round instead of 1/turn. Everyone having cover forever made everyone other than Eddie very sad. Doc Ock had a clutch roll when he got 2 hits, 2 wilds on a builder to down Widow in 1 shot making her explode like a piñata full of objective tokens, but honestly I had the game lost until my opponent punted on his final activation by trying to take down Venom rather than just scoop up objective tokens and fly away with Storm.

Round 3 my opponent was on Avengers, and absolutely dominated me from deployment. It was two objectives that were both on F, so he basically threw Wolverine on the left against Ultron and Kraven, had quicksilver grab the middle token and sprint to the right where all the heavy hitters were. He took 7 points of my minis off the board from before turn one and had a 10-on-17 fight the rest of the game.
It didn't help that I could have maybe done something but Green Goblin threw 20 dice of pumpkin bombs over two turns to deal 0 damage (include two 5-die rolls that just naturally rolled 0 hits!) and I helplessly stood there with 2 energy on him and Well-Laid Plans of my own sitting unplayed.

Bonus pic from another game in round 1:

Final verdict: Fool's 2nd Place on Strength of Schedule (my only loss was to the undefeated player) and store credit towards Shadowlands Daredevil (when it releases)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 4, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

got real tired of being terrified every time I touched her that she was gonna snap so after a dip in the vat to take another stab at her paint job, gave her some surgery to be more dynamic

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I made myself laugh thinking of something today

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I know they didn't realize spikes are gonna be spikes but the fact that BO, the concensus best affiliation with the concensus best single character as their leader is getting g more figs that they certainly won't need instead of a hurting group getting something useful still stings

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

may I just say to whoever the gently caress decided that Baron Zemo's elbow pads needed to be separate parts too tiny to even be picked up with tweezers, and that also they should give you four of them just so you don't notice at first, force the wrong pad onto an arm, only notice later, and have to break it off -- gently caress you, buddy. That wasn't cool.
on a per-affiliation basis, Guardians is the absolute worst on models. Nebulas connection to her base is on her toe, Star-Lords ball-bearing sized head is in four pieces and Angela is spindly af too.
Gamoras sword hands essentially must be pinned to stay on.
when you think of Guardians being forced to improvise, it goes beyond flavor and in to assembly!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

i am a bad painter but I also painted my first model in February and this is where I am now (I am never repainting that horrible Doc Ock I did with a friend's craft-store paint and dollar-store brushes, it is unspiration incarnate (also no you can't see it))

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

one thing that's hard to remember is that in person no one is looking at your models from 4" away. generally speaking it'll be from the top down view and like 2'-4' range. so all the nitpicky things you see most people won't

glad you stuck with and I look forward to more progress pics
Yeah her cape looks really good and cool from across the table and I'm really happy with how the "love smoke" blending turned out. Still can't do faces, whenever I try and use a flesh wash it turns into a brown domino mask over their eyes.

I started using Turbonerd metallic glazes over my stuff and it really makes them pop compared to flat acrylics and the contrast between her shimmering cape and the matte love smoke is cool.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ᶦ ᵃᵐ ᵍʳᵒᵒᵗ

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Multiple Man is gonna have himself as grunts

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I play mostly Big D and the kids table, and yeah that's how you beat him. just kind of endure his activation, take out his mooks and beat him on points on turn 4/5
the only time I've ever lost on attrition was against a very hot-rolling tall Brotherhood list, big all-in swings from Juggs make perma-shocked Dormy very sad

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

nobody gets more out of blades leadership than ghost rider, an honestly embarrassing combo. gratz

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

unless it's a three-box event, anything at the store level is 100% OK with proxies of crisis and tactics cards. Proxies of actual minis, less so.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

at best you end up with "all of Spider-Man's villains" in Spider-Foes, even if most of them never worked with each other
I know you picked them at random but the Sinister Six have been an ongoing super villain team for a long time

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

it's also a headfake to your opponent, since your 10 are known but not the squad you're fielding. If you have 2 leaders in your 10 and could conceivably field either with a legal squad they can't quite know what they're up against. this is why Dormammu is always my 10th figure.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

the affiliation also includes omega red and Widow, presumably

admanb posted:

Those models are cool but I truly do not understand who this is for. I'm not saying everything they release should be MCU-popular, but this seems like layers of niche deep.

also still waiting on my Gerber pack

Man-Thing // Howard the Duck

and my Chromium-age nonsense

Sleepwalker // Darkhawk

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Apocron posted:

Any recommendations for youtube channels? Painting advice? (I don't have any paints so I'll need to buy some)
Rich_Mid Gaming has a great series called "Ultimate Guide to X" where they talk about a faction in detail, what they like to do, what cards and character splashes work best. Unfortunately it's done from a pretty "inside baseball" point of view so it may not be the most approachable as you're starting. He also has a bunch of "here's how cover works" type shorter videos that are super great for new players.

Battle Reports by WCG is really good for live-plays. They use a lot of factions, have pretty nice production values and (most importantly) they talk through their plays so you can see what they're thinking before they do it.

Von Darkmor does exclusively TTS; I can't really stand to watch TTS games but if it's your thing, here ya go

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

some minis ship with multiple bits, either alternate poses/faces or just spares to even out the weight on the sprue.
personally, i hate double priming because I think the detail gets lost under all that paint. I say just go for it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

every character should have the "focus" ability on Wong and Dynamo, at the very least there should be "Action: Gain 1*" as a basic game action CMV

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I wouldn't mind this, although action economy is so tight that I don't know that I would ever take it.
it happens :shrug:
especially when you have to move to be in position for next turn and don't want to fire off a builder at someone you can't down and don't want to feed 1-3 energy (Wolverine for example)

or when, like I had tonight, an elektra that dazed the only opponent near her and didn't want to chase down a meaningless Gabby

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:eng101: If you just cut the rest of the pretty-mopey Inhumans and just keep the one amazing one (Medusa), you can replace the rest of those slots with badass ladies and just run pure A-Force.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

If only there was some way to know who that is.
:itjb:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

got the Black Order pack zenithal primed for contrast painting, but I don't want to do the "all the blacks and purples" color scheme they suggest.

I'm also not familiar enough with Thanoss minions to know of any alt costumes they've worn to use

what's something that would look less dreary and not be too dumb?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I painted 6½ minis this weekend thanks to contrast paints and a tritone zenithal prime, and they all look amazing. Going back with some drybrushing or a metallic highlight works wonders on making the colors really pop.

I know I'm never going to win a painting contest, but having models that don't look embarrassing on the game field matters at least a little to me, and these turned out incredible. I will never basecoat in plain acrylics again.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hoboskins posted:

show us your painted minis.
purple hand gang

RISE UP

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

I just need to say one thing: black rim your bases.

Black rim makes the rest of it look so much better.
I like the silver rim because I do green piping on figs that have stealth (because I forget they have stealth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dormammu wept